The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 5 March 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
wkhalaf

Watch: DJ II
Icon20 Rolex Datejust II 41mm Silver Diamond Dial #116334 (vs. Submariner)

When I first decided to get my watch I was inspired by grandpa's yellow gold Datejust as an everyday watch .. I was however caught between going for the Submariner or choosing something newly released in the Rolex family (i.e. DJII).

The DJII would look like a Rolex and has the classic (yet modern) look in it. I liked the 41mm diameter which looks nice on my wrist. The Submariner on the contrary looks sporty (although elegant and can be worn on suits). I finally decided that I wasn't a diver nor am I the person who'd wear his watch for outdoor (sporty) activity.

With regards to price, the Submariner was said to maintain its price and have a steady after price. This was mentioned by several sources online and by my AD who gave me an approx. 2nd hand market price. On the contrary, the DJII is new to the market thus there isn't much demand. I was not intending to sell my watch in the first place, however it is good to know that whatever you are buying is actually maintaining its value. Looking at Rolex's price evaluation list the DJII increases c. 8% p.a. while the Submariner increases c. 9-10%. At the end the DJII was almost USD 1,500 more expensive.

Another issue was the large number of fakes (replicas) in the market the Submariner has to put up with. Wearing a Rolex that you paid for and worked hard to attain and seeing others (or just feeling) wearing fakes just ruins the fun. That was another point that I kept in mind.

I am just wondering (and that's one of the reasons why I posted this thread) whether the DJII is gaining market in a sense that will make it a permanent member of the Rolex family. Furthermore, will it maintain its price and gain good feedback from collectors as the Submariner did? Of course it's a tough call because it's a new member compared to a legacy dating back to the 1957 (the Submariner). But who knows ..

Your feedback is much appreciated

Note: Some of pictures taken from: justrolexes's thread

Last edited by wkhalaf; 5 March 2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: General Text Editing
wkhalaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
wkhalaf

Icon18

More photos

Old 6 March 2013, 01:24 AM   #3
penang1974
"TRF" Member

Unless you are familiar with Rolexes, it can be easy to mistake the DJii with diamond dial for a much more expensive model, ie a white gold Rolex with diamonds. thus one advantage of this particular DJII with steel bracelet and white gold bezel is that it can come across as considerably more expensive than it actually is.
penang1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2013, 03:49 AM   #4
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by penang1974 View Post
Unless you are familiar with Rolexes, it can be easy to mistake the DJii with diamond dial for a much more expensive model, ie a white gold Rolex with diamonds. thus one advantage of this particular DJII with steel bracelet and white gold bezel is that it can come across as considerably more expensive than it actually is.
True !! Many people mistake it for the DDII which is more than twice as expensive or the presidential jubilee which is more than 5 times as expensive .. But of course for a Rolex unfamiliar eye

Thanks for dropping by :D
Old 6 March 2013, 07:56 AM   #5
rolox
"TRF" Member

I have the exact same model. Great choice.
rolox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Balsquat
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Just an FYI that I love your pictures and have also been considering the Datejust 2. Here are a few photos that I would like to contribute. While I do appreciate the modern look, I think its an absolute shame that a Jubilee option is not available. Its the key piece of the puzzle that this watch is missing. Especially since the DD2 has an available President bracelet. I don't know how a larger Jubillee is not available.

Personally, as much as I love a DD2, it's a sports watch in my eyes without the jubilee. I will wait until Basel to purchase, as I am hoping wee see a Jubilee Bracelet option. Otherwise, its 36mm for me.

Pimpin' aint easy :)
Balsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2013, 09:18 AM   #7
MilgaussMan1

LOOKS NICE! wwwowoow
MilgaussMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2013, 09:50 AM   #8
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
I really like the diamond dial on the DJII - looks impressive.

I don't know of the jubilee links can hold the 41mm head - an then they'd have to increase the size of each jubilee link... Someone should photoshop it to see how it might look.

Congrats on the awesome watch!
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Balsquat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_NYC View Post

I don't know of the jubilee links can hold the 41mm head - an then they'd have to increase the size of each jubilee link... Someone should photoshop it to see how it might look.

It's not a substantial size difference overall, as the 41mm pretty much just puts it in the same size category as the 40mm sport watches. This is actually a good thing as Rolex did not make it so big that it does not work as a formal watch. I would think a larger jubilee should be easy enough, but then again, there could be a reason to their madness.
Balsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_NYC View Post

Thanks a lot :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsquat View Post
It's not a substantial size difference overall, as the 41mm pretty much just puts it in the same size category as the 40mm sport watches. This is actually a good thing as Rolex did not make it so big that it does not work as a formal watch. I would think a larger jubilee should be easy enough, but then again, there could be a reason to their madness.
The only answer I can think of is categorizing the watches .. at least for the Rolex club members to identify what's what when they see a watch on someone's wrist ..

Maybe because it may seem unfair to have people remove and add-on bracelets that might make the watch look like a presidential or a day-date (for a millisecond) -- just a thought
Old 6 March 2013, 04:27 PM   #11
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolox View Post
I have the exact same model. Great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsquat View Post
Hi,

Just an FYI that I love your pictures and have also been considering the Datejust 2. Here are a few photos that I would like to contribute. While I do appreciate the modern look, I think its an absolute shame that a Jubilee option is not available. Its the key piece of the puzzle that this watch is missing. Especially since the DD2 has an available President bracelet. I don't know how a larger Jubillee is not available.

Personally, as much as I love a DD2, it's a sports watch in my eyes without the jubilee. I will wait until Basel to purchase, as I am hoping wee see a Jubilee Bracelet option. Otherwise, its 36mm for me.
Thanks for sharing the pics ! :D very nice shots .. and the last pic is just wicked LOL

How much approx. would a bracelet usually cost? including replacement and all?

Please refer to my earlier reply on top ..
Old 6 March 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
mmmk604
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Nice watch! I have the 36mm DJ, silver dial with diamond markers. BROS!

mmmk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Dainjah
"TRF" Member

very nice watch!

I was looking at the DJII white index dial. Think I just changed my mind..Beautiful.
Dainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2013, 04:22 PM   #14
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainjah View Post
very nice watch!

I was looking at the DJII white index dial. Think I just changed my mind..Beautiful.
hahahah glad to be useful :D thanks
Old 7 March 2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkhalaf View Post
When I first decided to get my watch I was inspired by grandpa's yellow gold Datejust as an everyday watch .. I was however caught between going for the Submariner or choosing something newly released in the Rolex family (i.e. DJII).

The DJII would look like a Rolex and has the classic (yet modern) look in it. I liked the 41mm diameter which looks nice on my wrist. The Submariner on the contrary looks sporty (although elegant and can be worn on suits). I finally decided that I wasn't a diver nor am I the person who'd wear his watch for outdoor (sporty) activity.

With regards to price, the Submariner was said to maintain its price and have a steady after price. This was mentioned by several sources online and by my AD who gave me an approx. 2nd hand market price. On the contrary, the DJII is new to the market thus there isn't much demand. I was not intending to sell my watch in the first place, however it is good to know that whatever you are buying is actually maintaining its value. Looking at Rolex's price evaluation list the DJII increases c. 8% p.a. while the Submariner increases c. 9-10%. At the end the DJII was almost USD 1,500 more expensive. Another issue was the large number of fakes (replicas) in the market the Submariner has to put up with. Wearing a Rolex that you paid for and worked hard to attain and seeing others (or just feeling) wearing fakes just ruins the fun. That was another point that I kept in mind.

I am just wondering (and that's one of the reasons why I posted this thread) whether the DJII is gaining market in a sense that will make it a permanent member of the Rolex family. Furthermore, will it maintain its price and gain good feedback from collectors as the Submariner did? Of course it's a tough call because it's a new member compared to a legacy dating back to the 1957 (the Submariner). But who knows ..

Your feedback is much appreciated

Very nice watch, congrats

What is the price evaluation list you refer to? Are you quoting new price increase percentages?

Also, the DJII will stay in the catalogue - it is part of the DateJust family that has been around for decades

Welcome to TRF
Old 7 March 2013, 08:25 PM   #16
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Very nice watch, congrats

What is the price evaluation list you refer to? Are you quoting new price increase percentages?

Also, the DJII will stay in the catalougue - it is part of the DateJust family that has been around for decades

Welcome to TRF
Thanks a lot Psmith :)

The price evolution sheet is the one under this link: Price Evolution since 1945

It's an evolution price list since each Rolex model (i.e. DJ, DJII, Submariner, DD, etc.) was released to date. Some watches have increased in price 8% every year (by Rolex).

The DJII will hopefully stay .. because some Rolex models (i think the Quartz line) has stopped as I read around the forums. Not v. sure though.

This all depends on how the consumers demand the DJII

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
Old 7 March 2013, 08:36 PM   #17
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot Psmith :)

The price evolution sheet is the one under this link: Price Evolution since 1945

It's an evolution price list since each Rolex model (i.e. DJ, DJII, Submariner, DD, etc.) was released to date. Some watches have increased in price 8% every year (by Rolex).

The DJII will hopefully stay .. because some Rolex models (i think the Quartz line) has stopped as I read around the forums. Not v. sure though.

This all depends on how the consumers demand the DJII

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

My pleasure, Sir

I thought the 8-10% seemed familar. In fact I've seen Sheldon's list before - his site is a treasure trove

Rolex very rarely drop models these days, and especially not relatively new ones. The quartz models were discontinued years ago and are now collectables in their own right. The original Milgauss was dropped as a poor sales performer, then reinstated many years later. More recently the Turn-o-Graph was discontinued. I will contradict myself somewhat here as the TOG was also part of the DateJust family, albeit a 'niche' model that I believe was sadly overlooked in favour of others. By all accounts, the DJII has been a hit with customers, and I expect we will see more dial options and perhaps a Jubilee bracelet option being rolled out in the coming years
Old 7 March 2013, 08:54 PM   #18
wkhalaf

Quote:
My pleasure, Sir

I thought the 8-10% seemed familar. In fact I've seen Sheldon's list before - his site is a treasure trove

Rolex very rarely drop models these days, and especially not relatively new ones. The quartz models were discontinued years ago and are now collectables in their own right. The original Milgauss was dropped as a poor sales performer, then reinstated many years later. More recently the Turn-o-graph was discontinued. I will contradict myself somewhat here as the TOG was also part of the DateJust family, albeit a 'niche' model that I believe was sadly overlooked in favour of others. By all accounts, the DJII has been a hit with customers, and I expect we will see more dial options and perhaps a Jubilee bracelet option being rolled out in the coming years

Thanks once more for the insightful info :) I never knew about that many watches which were dropped from the Rolex production lines

You won't escape that easily .. many more questions to come from my side :p ..

I would seriously consider a Jubilee bracelet if they ever offer one for the DJII ..

A question that came on mind .. do most people prefer the classic looks or the professional watches from Rolex ? so in other words .. is it the old fashion date just with the bubble and all or the submariner and its alike? or the daytonas?

Are there any statistics in this regard that specifically state the top sellers and the ranks of each type ?
Old 7 March 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks once more for the insightful info :) I never knew about that many watches which were dropped from the Rolex production lines

You won't escape that easily .. many more questions to come from my side :p ..

I would seriously consider a Jubilee bracelet if they ever offer one for the DJII ..

A question that came on mind .. do most people prefer the classic looks or the professional watches from Rolex ? so in other words .. is it the old fashion date just with the bubble and all or the submariner and its alike? or the daytonas?

Are there any statistics in this regard that specifically state the top sellers and the ranks of each type ?

No problem - happy to help

Rolex do not release sales figures, so it's not easy to be certain. However it is generally accepted that the DJ in various guises is the volume seller. I would hazard a guess that the older 36 mm model has probably sold in larger numbers than any other Rolex watch. The 41 mm model ushers in a new era, although it is stiill a relatively conservative, classic design. The lineage is clear to see

The Submariner is of course the most recognisable and popular 'sport' model, although these days the GMT-Master snaps at its heels

Probably the most accurate guide is to ask several ADs about their sales - assuming they tell you, of course!
Old 7 March 2013, 09:16 PM   #20
wkhalaf

Quote:
No problem - happy to help

Rolex do not release sales figures, so it's not easy to be certain. However it is generally accepted that the DJ in various guises is the volume seller. I would hazard a guess that the older 36 mm model has probably sold in larger numbers than any other Rolex watch. The 41 mm model ushers in a new era, although it is stiill a relatively conservative, classic design. The lineage is clear to see

The Submariner is of course the most recognisable and popular 'sport' model, although these days the GMT-Master snaps at its heels

Probably the most accurate guide is to ask several ADs about their sales - assuming they tell you, of course!
Hmm .. interesting analysis ..

Yea I agree that one should ask the AD about some sales facts and figures to know .. But again as you said the DJ has sold tremendously I've seen many many people (especially) older aged wearing the DJ .. youth and mid aged would go for the professional (from what I've seen around me)

Another off topic problem I have these days .. my watch used to miss 1 or 2 seconds per day .. now it is losing more like 4-6 per day .. especially after one time I was wearing the watch and I shook my hand very swiftly in response for an incident that the watch bracelet opened and somehow scratched my hand bloody (but no direct impact on the watch has taken place during the incident) so i'm not sure whether it is from this incident or is it just me not fully manually wind it ? note: i wear the watch more than 12 hours per day (maybe 16-18 hrs per day) but no real activity other than the normal .. going to office .. going out .. etc.
Old 8 March 2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Perhaps just monitor the timekeeping over a week or so. The watch should really be running between -4 and +6 (i.e. the COSC standard). Consistency is the key... if the timekeeping is varying greatly then I would be more concerned
Old 10 March 2013, 04:34 PM   #22
wkhalaf

Quote:
Perhaps just monitor the timekeeping over a week or so. The watch should really be running between -4 and +6 (i.e. the COSC standard). Consistency is the key... if the timekeeping is varying greatly then I would be more concerned
Thanks again Psmith :) I have monitored the watch over the weekend. It is consistent and loses -4 seconds per day. But I guess that's not a problem is it?

Another opinion I would ask .. I am thinking of getting another Rolex. Since I have this one, what other one would be suitable to add to the collection ? :)
Old 10 March 2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks again Psmith :) I have monitored the watch over the weekend. It is consistent and loses -4 seconds per day. But I guess that's not a problem is it?

Another opinion I would ask .. I am thinking of getting another Rolex. Since I have this one, what other one would be suitable to add to the collection ? :)

No problem! I would not be concerned about a consistent -4. You could try self-regulating, by resting the watch flat (dial up) at night. Resting positions can help, as per the attached image

As for a second Rolex, do you like the sporty models such as the Sub, GMT and Daytona? I think that any of these (in steel or precious metals) would make a fine match with your DJII
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regulating.jpg (95.1 KB, 2750 views)
Old 10 March 2013, 06:27 PM   #24
wkhalaf

Quote:
No problem! I would not be concerned about a consistent -4. You could try self-regulating, by resting the watch flat (dial up) at night. Resting positions can help, as per the attached image.

As for a second Rolex, do you like the sporty models such as the Sub, GMT and Daytona? I think that any of these (in steel or precious metals) would make a fine match with your DJII
I always put my watch flat on its back at night .. still loses consistent no. of seconds.

As for the 2nd watch. I was thinking Sub Black or Green .. prob is there are so many replicas out there .. which really gets on the nerves.
Old 13 March 2013, 07:52 AM   #25
Snowdog
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Sub
That is a beautiful watch!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 04:55 PM   #26
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
That is a beautiful watch!
Thanks a lot :D
Old 14 March 2013, 04:42 PM   #27
samsam
"TRF" Member

Beautifl watch. I am considering getting my fisrt DJ II (rhodium diamond dial). I am little concerned about the whole time-losing/gaining events you are having. How do you feel about that?
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2013, 05:21 PM   #28
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
Beautifl watch. I am considering getting my fisrt DJ II (rhodium diamond dial). I am little concerned about the whole time-losing/gaining events you are having. How do you feel about that?
My friend has the Rhodium Diamond Dial and it's amazing. Nice choice.

As for the time-losing/gaining I just went to the AD and told him about the loss of time .. as long as it is -4/+6 then we are good and as long as it is consistent.

I was concerned because I traveled for 3 weeks and left the watch at home and when I came back this started happening .. prior to travel it used to lose 1 second a day. That's why I was alarmed. But I think I can survive with -4 seconds per day.

The question is whether to wind it more? does it need winding ? or just wearing it 14 hrs per day is enough ?
Old 14 March 2013, 06:45 PM   #29
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My friend has the Rhodium Diamond Dial and it's amazing. Nice choice.

As for the time-losing/gaining I just went to the AD and told him about the loss of time .. as long as it is -4/+6 then we are good and as long as it is consistent.

I was concerned because I traveled for 3 weeks and left the watch at home and when I came back this started happening .. prior to travel it used to lose 1 second a day. That's why I was alarmed. But I think I can survive with -4 seconds per day.

The question is whether to wind it more? does it need winding ? or just wearing it 14 hrs per day is enough ?

14 hrs per day should be plenty, but it is good to give it a full wind now & then. Try winding it 40 times one morning (there's no danger of over-winding)
Old 14 March 2013, 06:58 PM   #30
wkhalaf

Quote:
14 hrs per day should be plenty, but it is good to give it a full wind now & then. Try winding it 40 times one morning (there's no danger of over-winding)
Psmith to the rescue :D

Man you are to me .. the Rolex God ! :p

hahahah ... thanks i'll do that on the weekend and see what happens

Few days back went to the AD and checked out some Rolex watches .. my friend is thinking of getting one