The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 2 October 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Cayman981

Icon20 Any Advice or Comments...

Hello everybody. i'm in the process of purchasing my first rolex and after visiting AD and trying them, i've narrowed with the GMT master II TT or Yacht MasterII SS with blue bezel. I was given 12% off retail price with GMTII and 15% with YMII but i'm torn as to which is the better watch for the money. Any advice or comments are welcome and much appreciated. Thank you
Cayman981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If you take part in sailing regattas, probably the YMII. If you're a frequent world-traveller with not much of a head for real-time hours conversion, then the GMT. Otherwise, get the one you like best. Neither will have the resale potential of an SS Sports.
Old 2 October 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Cayman981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If you take part in sailing regattas, probably the YMII. If you're a frequent world-traveller with not much of a head for real-time hours conversion, then the GMT. Otherwise, get the one you like best. Neither will have the resale potential of an SS Sports.
Thank you for the comments. From my understanding, I should choose SS sports for having a resale potential compare to TT or YG or RG?
Old 2 October 2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Well, they're certainly easier to resell, as more people are looking them/can afford them. Depends which one though. For that prices you could get a SS Daytona, which would keep its price (or bring a higher return in future) better than the two you're looking at. As would, most probably, any of the SS Subs. It's not an exact science, though. And of you think you might be re-selling, go greymarket with a trusted seller here, for the better price on brand new models.
Old 2 October 2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Cayman981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Well, they're certainly easier to resell, as more people are looking them/can afford them. Depends which one though. For that prices you could get a SS Daytona, which would keep its price (or bring a higher return in future) better than the two you're looking at. As would, most probably, any of the SS Subs. It's not an exact science, though. And of you think you might be re-selling, go greymarket with a trusted seller here, for the better price on brand new models.
I wanted a SS Daytona but one AD will not sale to new Rolex buyer even i offer to buy another Rolex in their shelves. The other AD, they discouraged me not to purchase one because you could hardly see the information within the dial specially when i get old...do you think trusted seller here will provide such information? Thank you again and your comments are very helpful...
Old 2 October 2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast

No problem. You would get more answers if you posted this in the General forum rather than Rolex Watch Reviews, maybe a mod will move it later. As far as I know, SS Daytonas are just now beginning to appear on the shelves in higher numbers, but not sure about USA exactly. Do a search in the For Sale forum here. Don't listen to anything that Rolex ADs tell you, they're salesmen.
Old 3 October 2013, 06:37 AM   #7
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
I agree with above, definitely S/S sport and buy one from a trusted seller on this forum
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2013, 03:46 AM   #8
Cayman981

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderl712000 View Post
I agree with above, definitely S/S sport and buy one from a trusted seller on this forum
Could you kindly provide names of trusted seller in this forum that you will recommend. Thank you
Old 14 October 2013, 03:08 PM   #9
samsam
"TRF" Member

As people said. But let me tell you this: Get the watch you want and like the most. Buying Rolex is NOT an investment. Yes, you could make money and some could hold value, but still no guarantees.
I personally don't like the SS Daytona.

There a lot of TRF trusted sellers here, go to the For Sale-Rolex brand watches and browse a little. If you find something you like, go to the "Who's Who" section to read about the seller or simply ask the seller for references and contact them using the Private Message function.

Good luck!
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 05:18 AM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I would pass on both and stick with a SS GMT or SS Sub/Sub Date

But ultimately the 'correct' choice is the one you like the most - all the models mentioned are very nice
Old 24 October 2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Ector495
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
Your choice on what you want. Do your homework and see what works best for you. Either way you're getting a beautiful watch that you can enjoy for years. Good luck in your future purchase. This forum is a great wealth of knowledge.
Ector495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 12:52 PM   #12
BA211
"TRF" Member

I have never bought a watch thinking about resale too much. Some watches I keep a very long time, some not so much. But I don't know how long I will keep it until I live with it for awhile. I plan on keeping them all when I first buy them.

I think SS GMT II is a great watch and great first Rolex. Though not as classic in some ways as a Sub (nor as common) it is a very versatile watch and resale can be very good depending on where you are--if you ever sell it.

Enjoy whatever you get!
BA211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 01:18 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Both are nice, you will have to pick the one you like best!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:07 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The discount should be larger on the GMTc, around 20% as its TT so speak to a trusted dealer here if that's the one for you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote