The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2018, 05:45 AM   #1
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Finally a Global slow down coming!

Got my wish list for cheaper rolex prices.

Looking to score a daytona for 13-15k (New Ceramic). Might need to wait a year but this slow down is looking nasty.

High end real estate super soft, so I suspect most will give up on the luxury market. Maybe we finally get a dip!

Cheers everyone.
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:52 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
actually rolex just cut production so prices will be even higher. dufour sent me the memo late last night. if things get really bad rolex will implement negative production, really cutting edge indeed.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #3
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
High end real estate in tristate is soft because of SALT and the fact wall street is in decline. That is not the market tho

But i got the same memo... rolex cutting production. So muvh so they are going to force me to bring my watches back so they can burn it like Riechemont did.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:18 AM   #4
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
You are guaranteed 3 things in life.....death, taxes and expensive Rolex prices!
Old 21 November 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post

Looking to score a daytona for 13-15k (New Ceramic). Might need to wait a year but this slow down is looking nasty.

High end real estate super soft, so I suspect most will give up on the luxury market. Maybe we finally get a dip!

Cheers everyone.
I hope you're right
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:04 AM   #6
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
You are guaranteed 3 things in life.....death, taxes and expensive Rolex prices!

In b4 I pay triple retail lmao. However they cut production, eventually you get a buyers strike.

Shall be interesting imo. Good luck everyone stay calm no matter what
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:46 AM   #7
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Hoping for an economic crash to purchase a watch seems interesting. However, I prefer to have a stable economy and pay retail from my AD. Cheers to a prosperous 2019 for all.
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:53 AM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Cheaper Rolex Prices

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:45 AM   #9
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

I’d rather watch my investments go up than see a watch get discounted $2k but that is just me. And if the financial markets are that suppressed I am investing every disposable dollar into it rather than a watch under retail.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:29 PM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
I’d rather watch my investments go up than see a watch get discounted $2k but that is just me. And if the financial markets are that suppressed I am investing every disposable dollar into it rather than a watch under retail.
I'm starting to be a lot more like this. Very happy with the watches I own and certainly took advantage of the dip today.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:32 PM   #11
MinMay
Banned

be careful what you wish for...it has a domino effect...that will affect all of us in one way or another down the road.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
As I have said before, the "Global Slowdown" that is severe enough to make a meaningful reduction in Rolex prices is one I hope never to witness.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are too realistic you dream crusher.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 November 2018, 02:51 PM   #14
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
As I have said before, the "Global Slowdown" that is severe enough to make a meaningful reduction in Rolex prices is one I hope never to witness.

True enough.

AFAIK, Rolex MSRP has not declined during any of the recessions we’ve experienced. It would take a global depression to seriously impact them.

I’m with you - and few on TRF are old enough to actually know what a Depression really means on a personal level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:13 PM   #15
Cru Jones

So, you’re wishing for a slow down so fewer can buy expensive watches... so you can swoop in and buy at a better price?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:55 PM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
So, you’re wishing for a slow down so fewer can buy expensive watches... so you can swoop in and buy at a better price?
Some people have a real sense of humor
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:19 PM   #17
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
True enough.

AFAIK, Rolex MSRP has not declined during any of the recessions we’ve experienced. It would take a global depression to seriously impact them.

I’m with you - and few on TRF are old enough to actually know what a Depression really means on a personal level.

msrp hasnt, but discounts to msrp have. in fact 3 years ago the subc was selling at 20% of and the ND at up to 25% off on the 2ndary market BNIB. so soon we forget.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:23 PM   #18
77T

Finally a Global slow down coming!

True - discounting by retailers does vary by the strength of the economy. ADs aren’t owned by Rolex and US always protect them from price fixing.

Those who carry other luxury Swiss brands also move slow inventory via discounting.

Not forgetting - just sharing that Rolex itself always gets their asking price from the AD.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:24 PM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post

Well said.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:04 AM   #20
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
So many people wanting the economy to tank so they can get a watch. The money one would save on the watch is nothing compared to the money lost in investments, 401K, etc. These are high end luxury items. You can afford them or you can't.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:11 AM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
So many people wanting the economy to tank so they can get a watch. The money one would save on the watch is nothing compared to the money lost in investments, 401K, etc. These are high end luxury items. You can afford them or you can't.
Too much common sense for some.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:01 AM   #22
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Too much common sense for some.
I wonder how many of these people even have investments. There is one guy at the local pub I frequent who has no savings, no retirement account, and no health insurance (he works two part time jobs) but drives a Mercedes. What in the Hell are they teaching in economics class???
Old 22 November 2018, 01:25 AM   #23
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Cheaper Rolex Prices

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:27 AM   #24
JTL31

Quote:
+1
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #25
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder how many of these people even have investments. There is one guy at the local pub I frequent who has no savings, no retirement account, and no health insurance (he works two part time jobs) but drives a Mercedes. What in the Hell are they teaching in economics class???
I’m a financial planner and this is quite common even in the higher income demographic.

My partner and I discuss how personal finances should be a requisite in college. A basic class could arm the next generation of work force to think differently of what their incomes today means to financial freedom later.

I remember the days when I was a kid, it was only 25-30 years ago when everyone had affordable vehicles and when you saw a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche it was a big deal. Today it seems that the German autos on the roads equals to that of what one used to classify as a normal roadgoing vehicle.

Perception is reality today, and if you’re driving a shiny S550 you probably feel successful regardless of what your balance sheet says.

What also adds to the consumption of funds on specific items is the fact that communities like this exist online. Incomings of your next watch purchase comes with accolades from a community which serves as an instant ego boost. But 99 out of 100 people that you come across won't even notice your new watch.

Same can be said about any other like-minded community. For example, a person may put $12K HRE wheels on their 911. The crowd will go wild on Rennlist. But the 99 out of 100 cars that you pull up next to won't even notice them. Or that $10,000 hand ground Scotty Cameron putter that you put in the bag, only for your playing partners to watch you 3 putt from inside 20 feet. Or that $600 tour issued Taylormade M3 440 with $350 Tensei Pro Orange shaft that you can't hit a fairway with if your life depended on it. Same stuff, different sector.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:46 AM   #26
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post

Cheers everyone.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but you are definitely dreaming!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:50 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
There are many people out there driving Mercedes because they are posers. And they lease them, because they can't afford the monthly payment to buy them. To each their own I guess.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:06 AM   #28
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
I’m a financial planner and this is quite common even in the higher income demographic.

My partner and I discuss how personal finances should be a requisite in college. A basic class could arm the next generation of work force to think differently of what their incomes today means to financial freedom later.

I remember the days when I was a kid, it was only 25-30 years ago when everyone had affordable vehicles and when you saw a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche it was a big deal. Today it seems that the German autos on the roads equals to that of what one used to classify as a normal roadgoing vehicle.

Perception is reality today, and if you’re driving a shiny S550 you probably feel successful regardless of what your balance sheet says.

What also adds to the consumption of funds on specific items is the fact that communities like this exist online. Incomings of your next watch purchase comes with accolades from a community which serves as an instant ego boost. But 99 out of 100 people that you come across won't even notice your new watch.

Same can be said about any other like-minded community. For example, a person may put $12K HRE wheels on their 911. The crowd will go wild on Rennlist. But the 99 out of 100 cars that you pull up next to won't even notice them. Or that $10,000 hand ground Scotty Cameron putter that you put in the bag, only for your playing partners to watch you 3 putt from inside 20 feet. Or that $600 tour issued Taylormade M3 440 with $350 Tensei Pro Orange shaft that you can't hit a fairway with if your life depended on it. Same stuff, different sector.
Yep. It's the whole "keeping up with the Jones" mentality. I'm guessing many people my age and younger will never be able to retire.
Old 22 November 2018, 02:07 AM   #29
OCPaladin
Banned

Maybe as the chinese economy continues to get crushed, we can repatriate some of the vintage Rolex's that have been sucked into the chinese rolex vortex.
OCPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:09 AM   #30
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
There are many people out there driving Mercedes because they are posers. And they lease them, because they can't afford the monthly payment to buy them. To each their own I guess.
I think I'll get both a Mercedes and Jaguar hood ornament. That way, I can swap them out on the Crown Vic depending on what mood I'm in. I've got to say, a Jaguar sitting on the front of the Vic would be pretty bad ass....and redneck.