The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2018, 02:14 AM   #31
OCPaladin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I think I'll get both a Mercedes and Jaguar hood ornament. That way, I can swap them out on the Crown Vic depending on what mood I'm in. I've got to say, a Jaguar sitting on the front of the Vic would be pretty bad ass....and redneck.
You own a Crown Vic??
OCPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:18 AM   #32
OCPaladin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
There are many people out there driving Mercedes because they are posers. And they lease them, because they can't afford the monthly payment to buy them. To each their own I guess.
Apparently many of the "poser's" cant even afford their leases... Just learned in this forum the other day about "mileage blockers" that are put into the instrument cluster and prevent the odometer from showing true miles...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=640663
OCPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:27 AM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Yep. It's the whole "keeping up with the Jones" mentality. I'm guessing many people my age and younger will never be able to retire.
I'm pretty sure that's already taking place. I think the housing crisis kind of helped that along as well.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:33 AM   #34
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
I’m a financial planner and this is quite common even in the higher income demographic.

My partner and I discuss how personal finances should be a requisite in college. A basic class could arm the next generation of work force to think differently of what their incomes today means to financial freedom later.

I remember the days when I was a kid, it was only 25-30 years ago when everyone had affordable vehicles and when you saw a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche it was a big deal. Today it seems that the German autos on the roads equals to that of what one used to classify as a normal roadgoing vehicle.

Perception is reality today, and if you’re driving a shiny S550 you probably feel successful regardless of what your balance sheet says.

What also adds to the consumption of funds on specific items is the fact that communities like this exist online. Incomings of your next watch purchase comes with accolades from a community which serves as an instant ego boost. But 99 out of 100 people that you come across won't even notice your new watch.

Same can be said about any other like-minded community. For example, a person may put $12K HRE wheels on their 911. The crowd will go wild on Rennlist. But the 99 out of 100 cars that you pull up next to won't even notice them. Or that $10,000 hand ground Scotty Cameron putter that you put in the bag, only for your playing partners to watch you 3 putt from inside 20 feet. Or that $600 tour issued Taylormade M3 440 with $350 Tensei Pro Orange shaft that you can't hit a fairway with if your life depended on it. Same stuff, different sector.
Agree 100%.