The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2019, 03:26 AM   #1
Gray_Panther
"TRF" Member

Post about your current journey towards your next piece

There are multitudes of topics about how to obtain our next timepiece, how to afford <insert watch here> or how the current market may be driving some people coocoo for cocoa puffs.

It would be cool to hear from people about their current and continuing journey for their next watch! What struggles and obstacles we are facing, what we are doing to bide our time or other passions to attend to until that magic moment happens.

For me, I have been into watches since I was a little kid and many pictures of me are of wearing watches. But I am also into cars, and right after college (2012) I put my fun money into my BMW 128i rather than spending that kind of cash on my most wanted piece, the PP 5726 on leather.

At that point in my life, I was as free as a bird with no debt period as I busted my ass for a year to pay off my college loans. And back then I figured I would have more tangible fun with my 128i than a PP, but now that I am newly married and still have the 128i, it seems that the PP will have to wait until my mortgage is paid off (hopefully in 6 years or less).

So now here I am, swearing off all car purchases for myself until my cars can no longer be reasonably fixed or maintained. I am tempted by a select few watches, including the PP, that I can save up for with time. But instead I am resisting and fighting my temptations to viciously attack my mortgage.
Gray_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:56 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
If I see something I will consider buying it

So nice to not obsess over high end luxury jewelry that no one needs
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I am always waiting...sometimes I get something that truly excites me but usually I enjoy always being on a list as I always have something to look forwards to.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:58 PM   #4
MinMay
Banned

I'm already on the list for the next Daytona variation. It's all about Daytona....
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I got it recently and I am not interested in anything else.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:32 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
There are multitudes of topics about how to obtain our next timepiece, how to afford <insert watch here> or how the current market may be driving some people coocoo for cocoa puffs.

It would be cool to hear from people about their current and continuing journey for their next watch! What struggles and obstacles we are facing, what we are doing to bide our time or other passions to attend to until that magic moment happens.

For me, I have been into watches since I was a little kid and many pictures of me are of wearing watches. But I am also into cars, and right after college (2012) I put my fun money into my BMW 128i rather than spending that kind of cash on my most wanted piece, the PP 5726 on leather.

At that point in my life, I was as free as a bird with no debt period as I busted my ass for a year to pay off my college loans. And back then I figured I would have more tangible fun with my 128i than a PP, but now that I am newly married and still have the 128i, it seems that the PP will have to wait until my mortgage is paid off (hopefully in 6 years or less).

So now here I am, swearing off all car purchases for myself until my cars can no longer be reasonably fixed or maintained. I am tempted by a select few watches, including the PP, that I can save up for with time. But instead I am resisting and fighting my temptations to viciously attack my mortgage.

I have been into watches now since the early 80’s. I’m actually trying more to cultivate satisfaction in my current line up. Something happened to me in the frenzy leading up to Basel world this year. I was thinking of a few moves, and then the Frenzy just turned me off, and i started really remembering why I choose the pieces I have.

What has happened to me over the years is that like many I was caught in a cycle of researching, hunting, buying. They buying gives one options as we can always trade them in. These options create dissatisfaction with our current pieces, and so we end up constantly looking forward. There is something to be said for holding onto a piece long term, living life with it. It’s the wearing the watches during the various ups and downs of ones life that get them associated with memories and meaning.

Now, I’m not saying I’m out, but let’s say a break from new buying for a while.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 02:08 AM   #7
rolexryan329
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
i've been into watches since I was a little kid. I remember getting my first one, it was a Casio with a calculator. This was a very profound memory that I'll never forget and I loved showing it off in 2nd grade bc we didn't have smartphones or anything so this was as techy as anything in that room.

My dad had a rolex and I didnt know what it meant but I just remember it being shiny and the dull lume in a dark room. It wasn't until I was around 18-19 (2013) when I started to lust for a Rolex but I couldn't justify spending the money on one as it would've been everything I had saved up. Fortunately, my father made a few dollars and gifted me one last year when I got my bachelors degree.

Since then, I've been saving money and ontop of what I put into my 401k and my Roth IRA, I've been putting money into a shoebox for the next piece, most likely an explorer II Polar. I could buy it outright right now but I want to wait a little longer for when I know the time is right.

tl;dr caught the bug last year when I got my 1st piece and I'm currently saving for the next one
rolexryan329 is offline   Reply With Quote