The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 31 October 2009, 07:58 AM   #31
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Thanks for the info, Richard. That leather case is awesome. I'd love to get one of those for my pen. I need to get up to Seattle and get my mitts on some of these different models.
John,

Look on the Bay before you pay full fare and also on the Pentrace Green Board. Both good places to pick up a bargain.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 10:11 AM   #32
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Pels are also extremely good pens and I consider them on par with Parker! Superb and very dependable with a great history.
I just received a Pelikan 201 as a wedding gift from my best man. I called the Fountain Pen Hospital looking for the refills. Dummy me didn't realize that it was a piston filled FP!!Also own some Conklins, Waterman, and Sailors. Just what I don't need, another expensive hobby!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 10:22 AM   #33
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I just received a Pelikan 201 as a wedding gift from my best man. I called the Fountain Pen Hospital looking for the refills. Dummy me didn't realize that it was a piston filled FP!!Also own some Conklins, Waterman, and Sailors. Just what I don't need, another expensive hobby!!
That is a NICE gift from your best man!

And you most certainly do need another expensive hobby! Don't you know that the more expensive hobbies you have the more money you'll make????

Through 2nd and 3rd jobs to pay for them all!!! Totally justifiable in my thinking!
Old 31 October 2009, 10:46 AM   #34
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
As long as you choose expensive hobbies that retains value, they can be better than stocks or even wifey
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 10:59 AM   #35
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Richard, thanx for all the information on fountain pens and MB's. I was fortunate this past June and August of catching a retailer going out of business(they are closed now)and was able to pick up two MB Starwalkers, one for 57% off of retail and the other for 33% off retail. One was a ballpoint pen and the other was a rollerball. My next pen purchase will be a fountain pen and am on the hunt for the right deal at a favorable price. Patience will be the key because I do not need it!!!
Happy hunting.....

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 12:53 PM   #36
Lol-x
Facilitator

149 All the way Richard. I'm waiting on an OBBB special order, and am really looking forward to getting that.

I have had a 146 as my daily writer for some years now. I bought it as an OBB and that is how the box is marked. However, I went to a MB boutique this week and compared it to their testing pens and found out it is really only an OB. So I'm getting that nib changed to an OBB like it should be.

I just find the wider nibs just flow so much better for me. I guess it's personal taste but the butter smooth flow of the nib across the page is just magical with the wider nibs for me.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 01:25 PM   #37
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
149 All the way Richard. I'm waiting on an OBBB special order, and am really looking forward to getting that.

I have had a 146 as my daily writer for some years now. I bought it as an OBB and that is how the box is marked. However, I went to a MB boutique this week and compared it to their testing pens and found out it is really only an OB. So I'm getting that nib changed to an OBB like it should be.

I just find the wider nibs just flow so much better for me. I guess it's personal taste but the butter smooth flow of the nib across the page is just magical with the wider nibs for me.

You can't go wrong there Steve! Make sure you post some good photos of them when you get them back from MB.

And some writing samples would be good also. I have never tried a BBB on a 149 and would like to see a comparison next to a medium 146 which is what I have.

I have two 149's. One is a wonderful fine or XF nib and the other is either an italic or a stub. I can't really tell, but I absolutely love the effects. Much more like an italic I believe. The 149's are an addiction within and addiction if you know what I mean.
Old 31 October 2009, 01:47 PM   #38
Lol-x
Facilitator

Yes the 149 does tend to become an addition within the MB affliction

I see quite a few people not with just one 149, but with many, so there must be something to be said about the 149 as a satisfying writing instrument.

There certainly isn't the same kind of multiple purchases of the same model of Rolex as there is for the 149 of Montblanc.

I guess with every 149 there is still a significant amount of individuality i.e. ink, ink feeds, nibs, etc. etc.

Very interesting and yes I hope the next 6-8 weeks go fast, I'm looking forward to getting my OBBB

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 02:14 PM   #39
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes the 149 does tend to become an addition within the MB affliction

I see quite a few people not with just one 149, but with many, so there must be something to be said about the 149 as a satisfying writing instrument.

There certainly isn't the same kind of multiple purchases of the same model of Rolex as there is for the 149 of Montblanc.

I guess with every 149 there is still a significant amount of individuality i.e. ink, ink feeds, nibs, etc. etc.

Very interesting and yes I hope the next 6-8 weeks go fast, I'm looking forward to getting my OBBB
You have that correct Steve! The 149 has so much to offer in the way variances.

Have you seen this article on the 149's and their differences by their era of manufacture? A good read!

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data...cle.asp?id=405
Old 31 October 2009, 08:34 PM   #40
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
As long as you choose expensive hobbies that retains value, they can be better than stocks or even wifey
Don't tell her that!!! I collected wives for awhile, but this is the last one. (I'm still one behind Bubba).
Old 31 October 2009, 08:38 PM   #41
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is a NICE gift from your best man!

And you most certainly do need another expensive hobby! Don't you know that the more expensive hobbies you have the more money you'll make????

Through 2nd and 3rd jobs to pay for them all!!! Totally justifiable in my thinking!
My Best Man is one of a kind. We're both Past Masters in our Lodge and are always there for one another. My present to him was a vintage fully overhauled vintage Benrus wristalarm. He really seemed to like it. Don't think he's ever had a watch which didn't require a battery. I have an identical Benrus which belonged to my Dad. PS, you have some gorgeous pens!!
Old 31 October 2009, 11:14 PM   #42
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Richard. That leather case is awesome. I'd love to get one of those for my pen. I need to get up to Seattle and get my mitts on some of these different models.
John,

You can occasionally find the 147 Traveler cases on eBay for about 50 - 100$$. Buy them new from MB and they'll cost you over 200$.

They will only fit the 144 / 147 size pens. Remember that they also hold cartridges for the 147 so buying one for the 146 (bottle filled) is pointless. In that case you can just pick up a reasonably priced leather case for about $30.
Old 1 November 2009, 03:04 AM   #43
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:

Hey Stevo,

When you say wider nibs, do you mean the actual physical dimensions of the nib itself or it being fine or medium, etc? I ask because sometimes my Chopin doesn't flow as well as I expect it to. I'm not sure if it's my writing style or what, but if a bigger nib helps with that, maybe that's the way I should go.

Thanks.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 03:09 AM   #44
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
John,

Look on the Bay before you pay full fare and also on the Pentrace Green Board. Both good places to pick up a bargain.
Quote:
John,

You can occasionally find the 147 Traveler cases on eBay for about 50 - 100$$. Buy them new from MB and they'll cost you over 200$.

They will only fit the 144 / 147 size pens. Remember that they also hold cartridges for the 147 so buying one for the 146 (bottle filled) is pointless. In that case you can just pick up a reasonably priced leather case for about $30.
Thanks Richard. I'll just use the boutique to see how I like the different sized pens and how they write. Unless a store can match prices I find online, I'll buy them on the web. I'll check around for the case as well. Yours is really sweet and looks to be perfect for its intended use.

Is the Fountain Pen Hospital a good outlet also? They seem to have pretty good prices.
Old 1 November 2009, 03:31 AM   #45
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks Richard. I'll just use the boutique to see how I like the different sized pens and how they write. Unless a store can match prices I find online, I'll buy them on the web. I'll check around for the case as well. Yours is really sweet and looks to be perfect for its intended use.

Is the Fountain Pen Hospital a good outlet also? They seem to have pretty good prices.
FPH is great as a resource and they will typically give a 20% discount on their pens. They will also instantly email you prices on any MB's as MB doesn't allow any of their AD's to post pricing on their websites.

Good luck!

Hey, have you filled up that journal yet??
Old 1 November 2009, 03:34 AM   #46
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FPH is great as a resource and they will typically give a 20% discount on their pens. They will also instantly email you prices on any MB's as MB doesn't allow any of their AD's to post pricing on their websites.

Good luck!

Hey, have you filled up that journal yet??
Not quite, but I've been using it daily! I really like it, but there's one question, do you have issues with your fountain pen ink bleeding through paper? I do and have mostly been using a ballpoint or rollerball pens as a consequence.
Old 1 November 2009, 03:48 AM   #47
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not quite, but I've been using it daily! I really like it, but there's one question, do you have issues with your fountain pen ink bleeding through paper? I do and have mostly been using a ballpoint or rollerball pens as a consequence.
No, no problem. The key is to use a very fast drying ink and there is a huge variation in characteristics of inks.

I would suggest Parker Quink in blue. It has great color variations and drys quickly.

A lot of it also depends on the pen/nib. Heavier lines mean more ink and thus more drying time and more chance for the ink to go through the paper.

Moleskine's have very good paper for what they are and so what I would do is take your favorite FP into your local pen shop and ask them if you can dip your pen into various inks and then try it on your Moleskine. They should let you dip away without hesitation. Lots of fun to discovering how inks really work.

Also, go over to www.fountainpennetwork and go through their ink reviews. Just priceless information there and you can see hundreds of inks in action. Here is a quick sample.

Old 1 November 2009, 04:03 AM   #48
JBat
"TRF" Member

Great info! My Chopin has a fine nib, so I guess that surprised me a bit. The lines are also fairly broad, so I'm not sure if I'd like a medium or broad nib. The ink cartridges I use are just MB black, MBR PX 16111 18275. I don't know if those numbers mean anything!

The pen also has a piston converter, which I haven't used yet. Thanks for taking all the time to walk this n00b through the world of FP's, Richard!
Old 1 November 2009, 04:08 AM   #49
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great info! My Chopin has a fine nib, so I guess that surprised me a bit. The lines are also fairly broad, so I'm not sure if I'd like a medium or broad nib. The ink cartridges I use are just MB black, MBR PX 16111 18275. I don't know if those numbers mean anything!

The pen also has a piston converter, which I haven't used yet. Thanks for taking all the time to walk this n00b through the world of FP's, Richard!
No problem John. Love to discuss writing instruments and accouterments.

That converter will open up your world.
Old 1 November 2009, 04:41 AM   #50
mck22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
anyone have a good place to buy used Mont Blanc pens. I am looking for good ol #1

mck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 04:45 AM   #51
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck22 View Post
anyone have a good place to buy used Mont Blanc pens. I am looking for good ol #1
I am not familiar with a MB #1???? Can you post a photo?
Old 1 November 2009, 04:53 AM   #52
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
It actually does come with a real Churchill sized cigar. Kinda humorous if you ask me, but I don't think the set would be complete without one. Probably should have included a bottle of Cointreau also.

“You, Mr Churchill, are drunk.”

“And you, Lady Astor, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning.”
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 05:29 AM   #53
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No problem John. Love to discuss writing instruments and accouterments.

That converter will open up your world.
Really? It works better than the cartridges?
Old 1 November 2009, 05:46 AM   #54
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Really? It works better than the cartridges?
Yes. Better flow and not to mention you can fill it from any bottled ink and are not limited to what comes in cartridges with is sadly lacking in choices.

Check out Noodlers inks. They are great inexpensive inks and come in just about any color you can imagine. The ink bottles are huge in comparison to most. A really good value.

http://www.noodlersink.com/

Samples!

http://www.noodlersink.com/samples.html
Old 1 November 2009, 05:49 AM   #55
mck22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, should have made that clearer. I am looking for my first Mont Blanc pen. That is why I said good ol #1

Old 1 November 2009, 06:27 AM   #56
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Sorry, should have made that clearer. I am looking for my first Mont Blanc pen. That is why I said good ol #1
First, I suggest you look out for penshows in your area. goto www.fountainpennetwork.com under "Clubs, Meetings and Events" near the bottom and find one near you. There is no better way than to attend these shows and see for yourself what's on offer from all the manufacturers. Also, the people there will have show specials that can be jaw dropping.

Second, lurk around the Pentrace green board http://www.pentrace.net/PenMarket.htm
This and Fountain Pen Network's forsale section are the active 2nd hand marketplace. Occasionally there are fakes there but it will be sorted out pretty quickly.

Third, of course you have ebay, but we know the dangers doing business there.

Having said these, I still think first pen goto a good shop, test drive the demo pens first, haggle a bit and buy your first pen from a retail AD. Forget about boutiques as they won't discount for walkin customers. For a new pen, if you can get 20% off MSRP that's a good sign. Sometimes when things are tight/tough the shop will drop more. Standard buying tactics apply
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 06:27 AM   #57
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ah! Ok thanks for the clarification. I really thought there was a MB #1 that I had never heard of. I've been at this about 30 years or so and there is still so much to learn.

I would only recommend a FP. In that case it would be the 144 with a fine nib for a novice FP user. A great pen! I started out with one of these in 1989 and still have it. Lovely writer and still beautiful!

You can go on ebay an research the Montblanc 144 and come up with historical pricing and lots of photos.
Old 1 November 2009, 07:12 AM   #58
mck22
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the tips and places to look, I appreciate it a ton!!!!