The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 04:54 AM   #1
www777
"TRF" Member

Sd43 vs sub expert opinions needed post Basel

I was really hoping for a new sub with new movement at Basel. But realistically even if they introduce it next year they will likely phase it in or start with pm. Now considering sd43. A few questions for the experts on this forum:

1. Is the dial matte or high gloss like the sub?

2. Is the bracelet wider so same as the new dssd introduced this year?

3. Is the dial the same size as the sub so the added 3mm is in the case not the dial?

4. Does it wear more like the sub or dssd? I had a dssd and the thickness began to get to me as just being too big.

5. Any other pros cons you would like to point out?

Thanks
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:06 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
As an owner of all three references you mention here are my thoughts:

1. It is a satin dial. It can look matte or glossy depending on light conditions.

2. The SD43 bracelet is 22mm. I have yet to hear what the bracelet size is on the new DSSD but I would assume its the same as the SD43.

3. The dial of the SD 43 is ever so slightly larger than the Sub (at least to my eye).

4. IMO The SD43 definitely wears smaller than the DSSD and closer to the Sub C. The wider bracelet balances the piece and its not nearly as thick. It fits easily under cuffs and is less heavy and more comfortable in general.

5. The only con (for current owners) is that they didn't drop the red lettering after one year. The Pro for would be owners ... you get the red lettering
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:13 AM   #3
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH

Hope this helps a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:15 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

As someone that's had it on my wrist a couple times:

1) It is a satin dial....but a different satin dial than the previous Sea Dweller (SD4k/116600) in that it is somewhat glossy. But also extremely legible in all lights I saw it in just like the SD4k's "satin" dial.

2) I'm not so sure the specs are out yet on the new DSSD bracelet....but the wider bracelet for the SD43 is very balanced for the size of the watch.

3) The dial is extremely close to a 40mm sized sub/SD4k.....even if it is slightly bigger which is kinda an open debate @ this point as I haven't seen someone take a caliper to an actual dial yet to compare.....most of the increase is like you said in the case along with the large bezel insert.

4) I think this is in the eye of the beholder. I got a smaller wrist and I feel it definitely wears much closer to a deep sea than a sub. Certainly a lot larger than a SD4k.

5) There is no con if you like the watch....it's a great watch and a super well built tool diver. Everyone's got different tastes so my pro is your con/vice versa.

Good luck with the decision.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:29 AM   #5
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

I like the dial of the SD, and both have Glidelock (a must, IMO).

I think thickness/size is the main differentiator. It's the only reason I don't get the SD (puny wrists). It would be like wearing a BigMac on my wrist, and even the Dark Side of the Moon is already thick enough.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:36 AM   #6
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
As an owner of all three references you mention here are my thoughts:

1. It is a satin dial. It can look matte or glossy depending on light conditions.

2. The SD43 bracelet is 22mm. I have yet to hear what the bracelet size is on the new DSSD but I would assume its the same as the SD43.

3. The dial of the SD 43 is ever so slightly larger than the Sub (at least to my eye).

4. IMO The SD43 definitely wears smaller than the DSSD and closer to the Sub C. The wider bracelet balances the piece and its not nearly as thick. It fits easily under cuffs and is less heavy and more comfortable in general.

5. The only con (for current owners) is that they didn't drop the red lettering after one year. The Pro for would be owners ... you get the red lettering
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
As someone that's had it on my wrist a couple times:

1) It is a satin dial....but a different satin dial than the previous Sea Dweller (SD4k/116600) in that it is somewhat glossy. But also extremely legible in all lights I saw it in just like the SD4k's "satin" dial.
I may be wrong, but I thought the 116600 had a matte dial...
Old 22 March 2018, 05:42 AM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Ditto

I may be wrong, but I thought the 116600 had a matte dial...
Not really.....my definition of a matte dial is something from a vintage Rolex. This is clearly something different and I think Rolex calls it satin....and the satin dial from the SD43 is also slightly different than the SD4k....slightly glossier in appearance is the best way to describe it.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:59 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Here are two pictures to show you the dial changing from Matte to Gloss depending on light conditions.

Mine is the gloss and I lifted the other shot from Devildog (Scott)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:07 AM   #9
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Not really.....my definition of a matte dial is something from a vintage Rolex. This is clearly something different and I think Rolex calls it satin....and the satin dial from the SD43 is also slightly different than the SD4k....slightly glossier in appearance is the best way to describe it.
Good to know. Thx !
Old 22 March 2018, 06:12 AM   #10
www777
"TRF" Member

Wow that dial really does change from matte to gloss depending upon the lighting. Now I notice the bracelet difference from the pics. The sub bracelet now looks small to me with the lugs extending more. Maybe they will use the larger bracelet on the subs in the future or do you think it will just be used in the Deepsea? Given the tooling cost maybe it will eventually be used in all professional models?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:16 AM   #11
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Afaik the dial is exactly the same as the SD4K and the Explorer 2. Both matte and gloss and everything in between.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:39 AM   #12
Thaiguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS, SD43
Ditto to the dial texture, it depends on the lighting as you can see from my picture below. Also, I am very surprised on how greater I feel about wearing my watch after almost one-week long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180319_114406.jpg (218.9 KB, 63 views)
Thaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote