The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 August 2019, 07:36 AM   #1
glimmer
Banned

42mm ROO Choice?

Hi all,

It’s been quite sometime since I’ve had an AP- I’ve owned a 15400, a 15300, and an ROO 26170 Navy which I sold around 2 years ago.

Recently I’ve gotten the itch for an Offshore again, in particular the newer (now discontinued as well) version of the Navy with the blue dial and white/silver subdials. I am now currently in the process of moving some of my watches to accommodate a purchase.

A few days ago I started to take notice of the Elephant as well: what struck me about it was how discreet it is compared to the relatively bolder styling of the Navy. Which brought me to the reason why I sold my first Offshore: I found the dial layout too bold and contrasting.

Now I am stuck between choosing between the two. I seem to like the Elephant more as the design seems to be more in line with my personal taste but somehow feel that legibility might be an issue? On the other hand I love the sportiness of the Navy, specifically the orange accents.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Photos below taken from the web:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
If you like the elephant then it’s also worth looking at the Ghost as it has a ceramic bezel.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:57 AM   #3
glimmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
If you like the elephant then it’s also worth looking at the Ghost as it has a ceramic bezel.

Thanks...I’ve also taken a look at the Ghost but it is out of my budget at the moment...looks awesome though

Old 29 August 2019, 08:22 AM   #4
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Elephant is a very cool model and with a good discount good value.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 06:32 PM   #5
glimmer
Banned

Thanks for the thoughts...any one else?

Old 29 August 2019, 07:05 PM   #6
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
personally, if you are dead set on offshores, then try for a ghost. The ceramic bezel really transforms the watch.
TooWoundUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Urooj
Banned

44mm offshores ti and black ceramic...other great options if you can wrist those...
Urooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:47 PM   #8
Laglag
"TRF" Member

the probelm is that you can't find any of ROO Ceramic in the boutique to try it.
i'm in the same position, so i try to watch videos on youtube which donesn't help you to get a decision..

i'm stuck between the Ghost and Vampire Ceramic ( but the havana Blue is also beautiful )
Laglag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 08:50 PM   #9
Mike Jab
Banned

Wait for SIHH 2020, or alternatively purchase the ROO 42 Batman. Ceramic bezel is overated
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:40 PM   #10
Uros
"TRF" Member

Had elephant for 4 years before selling it and moving to all black ceramic 44mm. Still missing it:)

If you need something less eye striking believe elephant is best option, also you can swap between leather and rubber which transforms the watch (I also had steel bracelet but its quite heavy). As said above ghost is best option due to ceramic bezel but all steel has its appeal. The thing I like the most (both vs navy and other models) is that numerals are dark so there is no big contrast, that makes entire watch very balanced and believe the most versatile to wear.

In terms of legibility if you look at right angle its quite good as hands stand out, however under direct like 90 percent angle when hands are in shadow you hands dont stand out so much less legible, also when looking it in the dark as there is very little lume. Overall have used it daily and legibility didnt bother me. As said only reason why I sold it was to go 44mm, otherwise would definitely be a keeper. If I am to choose again from the same line, would pick it again.

Here is one picture (at right angle so hands reflect light nicely)

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:25 PM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Ghost if you like grey

Or get a Panda. I love mine

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:33 PM   #12
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

How is legibly on the ghost?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 12:26 AM   #13
Hank
"TRF" Member

As others have suggested, try to go for the 44Ti or the Ghost. Both have ceramic bezels that prevent unwanted scratches and lightweight titanium case for comfort. Legibility on both watches is far better than the Elephant.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 12:36 AM   #14
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

As others have suggested, try to go for the 44Ti or the Ghost. Both have ceramic bezels that prevent unwanted scratches and lightweight titanium case for comfort. Legibility on both watches is far better than the Elephant.

I agree with this. Personally, I'd go for a 44 if your wrist can pull it off.
Old 30 August 2019, 12:42 AM   #15
whatching
"TRF" Member

Ghost Unfortunately it’s still hard to be in the market for a mint/preowned piece of this one since it’s a pretty new model

whatching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 12:45 AM   #16
Reign
"TRF" Member

42mm ROO Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jab View Post
Wait for SIHH 2020, or alternatively purchase the ROO 42 Batman. Ceramic bezel is overated

AP pulled out of SIHH so there’s not much to wait for. Releases going forward will be pretty random

On a side note, I’d vote for a ghost too. There’s a pre owned one being sold on the forums for $1k under list
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:07 AM   #17
glimmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
Had elephant for 4 years before selling it and moving to all black ceramic 44mm. Still missing it:)

If you need something less eye striking believe elephant is best option, also you can swap between leather and rubber which transforms the watch (I also had steel bracelet but its quite heavy). As said above ghost is best option due to ceramic bezel but all steel has its appeal. The thing I like the most (both vs navy and other models) is that numerals are dark so there is no big contrast, that makes entire watch very balanced and believe the most versatile to wear.

In terms of legibility if you look at right angle its quite good as hands stand out, however under direct like 90 percent angle when hands are in shadow you hands dont stand out so much less legible, also when looking it in the dark as there is very little lume. Overall have used it daily and legibility didnt bother me. As said only reason why I sold it was to go 44mm, otherwise would definitely be a keeper. If I am to choose again from the same line, would pick it again.

Here is one picture (at right angle so hands reflect light nicely)

Thank you for your thoughts, and what a nice wrist shot!

Old 30 August 2019, 06:02 PM   #18
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I had an elephant for a couple of years. It was a great watch but I ended up letting it go for something smaller when I decided that I didn’t want any more large watches.

Soon after, I too missed feeling the chunkyness of a ROO on my wrist. I ended up finding a great example of the original ROO, the “Beast” ref 25721st. I couldn’t be happier with it and appreciate the history attached to it - for me, it’s a keeper and my only “big” watch

Here are pics of both. The elephant also looks great on a black rubber strap.

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 09:35 PM   #19
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Great pics, the 44 is different gravy, if you can pull it off.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote