The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2019, 03:44 AM   #1
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Convert AP Pin Buckle to Deployant?

Was curious if anyone has done the above? I love the new 28mm x 24mm Diver rubber straps but not enjoying the fit of the pin-buckle. I have ordered an XS strap to mix and match sizes, but that doesn’t really sit well with me for a long term solution.

Rather than buy two straps to get the fit dialed, and was recommended not trying to alter the strap (i.e. route out hole to relax/stretch it a little bit), I thought about converting to a deployant. My Tag’s have a deployant that pinches the band to fit, was hoping to find one that is similar in 24mm. Panerai and Hublot seem to have some options as well as some 3rd party.

I like the taper of the diver strap so don’t want to just cutover to the 28mm x 18mm deployant the older ROO used to use.

Thoughts on whether this will give me the desired fit I am looking for and anyone that recommends a particular product.

I’ve found a few options, one of them being: https://www.etsy.com/listing/7024994...02499475&frs=1
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 04:28 AM   #2
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
Have you tried mixing the short straps with the long? Sometimes using the short tang side with a long hole’d piece or the other way around works well. A long tang side and short hole’d side.

Also... depending on the piece AP makes an OEM deployant that fits the 44MM straps... it’s brushed titanium and fits well.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 04:36 AM   #3
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
Was curious if anyone has done the above? I love the new 28mm x 24mm Diver rubber straps but not enjoying the fit of the pin-buckle. I have ordered an XS strap to mix and match sizes, but that doesn’t really sit well with me for a long term solution.

Rather than buy two straps to get the fit dialed, and was recommended not trying to alter the strap (i.e. route out hole to relax/stretch it a little bit), I thought about converting to a deployant. My Tag’s have a deployant that pinches the band to fit, was hoping to find one that is similar in 24mm. Panerai and Hublot seem to have some options as well as some 3rd party.

I like the taper of the diver strap so don’t want to just cutover to the 28mm x 18mm deployant the older ROO used to use.

Thoughts on whether this will give me the desired fit I am looking for and anyone that recommends a particular product.

I’ve found a few options, one of them being: https://www.etsy.com/listing/7024994...02499475&frs=1
Just go to the boutique and the after sales person will take care of you with getting a new strap along with a deployant.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 04:47 AM   #4
golfski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteHorlogerie View Post
Have you tried mixing the short straps with the long? Sometimes using the short tang side with a long hole’d piece or the other way around works well. A long tang side and short hole’d side.

Also... depending on the piece AP makes an OEM deployant that fits the 44MM straps... it’s brushed titanium and fits well.
I did order an XS strap in white and going to try that. My issue is that for the blue strap that comes with my diver, I'd have to do the same. So hoping that I can find an alternative to buying 2-straps just to have 1 new strap. I don't want to have to buy 2 straps every time I want a new strap.

I haven't come across a 24mm deployment from AP - would love to have an AP deployant but also don't want the heavy taper of the 28mm x 18mm deployant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Just go to the boutique and the after sales person will take care of you with getting a new strap along with a deployant.
I don't have a boutique or AD anywhere near me, but willing to travel if need be. I assume I would still have to purchase additional straps or will they mix-match for the cost of a single strap?

I did call a boutique in Beverly Hills and they said they have to order straps from Clearwater, so I just ordered it directly myself and having it shipped to me. Again, I am looking for a way to be able to buy more straps for the Diver, but not having to buy 2 every time.
Old 28 August 2019, 06:22 AM   #5
Jp28
"TRF" Member

I never got comfortable with an AP deployant, and it seems from comments a lot of others are the same. Mix and match is the best route as advised by others already (IMO).
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:25 AM   #6
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Deployant on a diver rubber strap?? Sounds like a really bad idea if its even possible. The diver strap is not the same as the straps for 42mm ROO that come with a deployant. Stick with pin buckle and work on getting the right fit.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 01:06 PM   #7
golfski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Deployant on a diver rubber strap?? Sounds like a really bad idea if its even possible. The diver strap is not the same as the straps for 42mm ROO that come with a deployant. Stick with pin buckle and work on getting the right fit.
Thanks, as suggested that is my path forward - just seems like there has to be a better way than having to buy a second white and blue rubber strap.

Curious why you think a deployant on the Diver strap would be a bad idea? Is it because the type of rubber used? Size? I can’t imagine why having a way to fine-tune the fit would be a bad thing? I personally like the look of the Diver strap and wide pin-buckle, it is just frustrating that the precision between slots is so large (8.5mm between each) and the only answer is to buy two straps
Old 28 August 2019, 11:09 PM   #8
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't have a boutique or AD anywhere near me, but willing to travel if need be. I assume I would still have to purchase additional straps or will they mix-match for the cost of a single strap?

I did call a boutique in Beverly Hills and they said they have to order straps from Clearwater, so I just ordered it directly myself and having it shipped to me. Again, I am looking for a way to be able to buy more straps for the Diver, but not having to buy 2 every time.
Generally I've noticed that if you go to the boutique then they are far more accommodating than when you just call them. I've seen certain boutiques order two or three different sizes for the straps to mix and match them for the client, and then only charge the client for the one set. It's always their goal to make sure the client is satisfied, so they do have a tendency of going above and beyond.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:24 AM   #9
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

How about trying Rubber B instead of a Mod?
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:53 AM   #10
golfski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
How about trying Rubber B instead of a Mod?
It doesn’t look like they offer anything for a ROO...just RO. I did check out Everest, RubberB, etc.

I ordered an XS white strap and I’ll be honest, I am not sure its much better. This is very frustrating. I was hoping the alignment of the XS hole would be just slightly offset of the Regular length 2nd hole, but its closer to the 3rd hole. So it now is either way too tight, slightly loose or way too lose I actually think my original strap is relaxing slightly, it is a nice comfy snug fit most times but feel it when I bend my wrist or flatten out my palm.

I ordered a 24mm butterfly deployant ($12), will report back if this works out.

As a bonus though, I have gotten a few practice changes under my belt and look forward to exploring straps for the diver. I have a brown leather strap incoming later today that I will give a whirl.
Old 30 August 2019, 11:00 AM   #11
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
It doesn’t look like they offer anything for a ROO...just RO. I did check out Everest, RubberB, etc.

I ordered an XS white strap and I’ll be honest, I am not sure its much better. This is very frustrating. I was hoping the alignment of the XS hole would be just slightly offset of the Regular length 2nd hole, but its closer to the 3rd hole. So it now is either way too tight, slightly loose or way too lose I actually think my original strap is relaxing slightly, it is a nice comfy snug fit most times but feel it when I bend my wrist or flatten out my palm.

I ordered a 24mm butterfly deployant ($12), will report back if this works out.

As a bonus though, I have gotten a few practice changes under my belt and look forward to exploring straps for the diver. I have a brown leather strap incoming later today that I will give a whirl.

It can't be an uncommon problem, so the boutique must have a solution. Hope something works brother, you should love everything about the piece
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote