The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2020, 02:53 AM   #31
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Both great watches, but my vote goes to the Explorer. I did a comparison of the two here which should help clarify why that's my choice;

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=712102

If however you want the Submariner, then don't settle for either of the other options, go that extra mile and pick that up instead.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 02:54 AM   #32
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
I'm in the same boat as you. I had it narrowed down to the OP39, Black and the Explorer, which is the watch I have always wanted.

I have decided on the OP39, for a few reasons. Number one, all of my watches are Sports Watches (Tudor BB, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Glycine Airman), and I don't have anything that would be real suitable with more formal attire, the OP39 fits that bill.

Also, I prefer the Stick Hands and less cluttered Dial and the Bezel of the OP.

I've got the feelers out with two local AD's, I'm ready to purchase, but sourcing the watch through an AD is the barrier now. I'll probably visit both AD's in person over the weekend. Good Luck!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 02:57 AM   #33
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Get the Sub. Can source easily by going grey and paying small premium. If it's above budget right now, worth waiting and saving for over the other two IMO
The OP is on the east side of the big pond, the grey premium on Subs is quite significant over here...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 02:58 AM   #34
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
The OP is on the east side of the big pond, the grey premium on Subs is quite significant over here...
Ahh, interesting. Yeah, that makes it hard.
Old 25 June 2020, 03:01 AM   #35
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I’d save up and get a sub
Old 25 June 2020, 03:09 AM   #36
emtee
"TRF" Member

Explorer of the two. OP39 is very nice as well. If possible I would wait until you can try them on and then decide.

As has been said though if you really want the sub then go for that. They’re not impossible to get but maybe a bit of a longer wait. Worst case is you get fed up waiting and then go for one of the others.

And to those who say go grey - the premium in UK is fairly significant (at least in percentage terms)
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 03:20 AM   #37
supacarrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp33 View Post
Hi, my 1st post on here, so any advice would be appreciated. Looking to buy my first Rolex soon. Due to financial constraints, I have narrowed it down to the OP 39mm with white face, or the Explorer with the black face. I don’t like the Air King so that’s not in the frame.

I would appreciate everyone’s thoughts, of the one they think I should go for.

Have spoken to an AD here in Scotland, only one near me, and they have said they should be able to source an OP in a couple of months. We are still in partial lockdown here, and the shop is not opening until 29th June.
Personally I would go with an Explorer 1, the watch of James Bond. Can't go wrong with an OP 39 either. Both are true tool watches and can take enough beatings to last you the rest of your life. Enjoy!

Edit: I saw you also are interested in a sub. If that is the watch you truly want, I would save up and get that. A sub is similarly a good tool watch that will last a lifetime. If you prefer the feel and appearance of the sub, then it is the right watch to get even if it takes longer
supacarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:01 AM   #38
bp33
"TRF" Member

Folks, thanks a lot for all your replies. I think the problem that I’m going to have is, finding stock of all 3 to try on. When the jewellers here open I will try to get in and see what they have.

Will let you know how I get on.
bp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 05:49 AM   #39
PatrickGu
"TRF" Member

Out of all the 3 options I’ll go with the sub but it’s almost impossible (at least here in the uk and you have no purchase history) to get one from an AD so I really understand your struggle.

If it was down to op39 or Explorer 1, I’d say go explorer if your style is more causal and op39 if you are leaning more towards suits.
PatrickGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 05:56 AM   #40
TellingTime
Banned

Either one would be great.
TellingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 06:54 AM   #41
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The only advice I can give you is always buy the watch you want to own and wear as its your personal choice and thats the only advice that matters.
+1... get what you want and what you'll enjoy wearing / seeing on your wrist. They're all great choices btw!
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote