The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 August 2009, 06:14 AM   #121
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed View Post
Though the original post missed what gave it away for me right away: Not the Crown, but something close to it, and something counterfeiters rarely get right, ESPECIALLY on subs.....;
What?

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
Old 7 August 2009, 06:26 AM   #122
DHLChief

Watch: Savings Vaporize
Unbelieveable. Every once in a while I realize everything that I still don't know. Very informative. Thanks a million.
Old 7 August 2009, 06:46 AM   #123
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
A Sea-Dweller comparison if anyone is interested:

http://petemillar.com/rolex/rolex.htm
Interesting link. I appreciate when I am able to learn about what to look for and not find myself $10,000 or more lighter for a cheap piece of crapola. When I inadvertently posted a link to a youtube video with a fake regarding the movement of the Deep Sea, it was swiftly and promptly removed because "it is a link to a Replica Dealer and a video for fakes, and against Forum rules.." I don't understand why it was not left on the forum for no other reason than to learn what to look for so nobody gets dooped. This is especially perplexing to me since there are other threads (like this one which is 6 pages long) which contain material regarding fakes and they aren't removed or "reminded" of the forum rules. Its leaves me confused as to what I can or can not post.
Old 7 August 2009, 07:23 AM   #124
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Interesting link. I appreciate when I am able to learn about what to look for and not find myself $10,000 or more lighter for a cheap piece of crapola. When I inadvertently posted a link to a youtube video with a fake regarding the movement of the Deep Sea, it was swiftly and promptly removed because "it is a link to a Replica Dealer and a video for fakes, and against Forum rules.." I don't understand why it was not left on the forum for no other reason than to learn what to look for so nobody gets dooped. This is especially perplexing to me since there are other threads (like this one which is 6 pages long) which contain material regarding fakes and they aren't removed or "reminded" of the forum rules. Its leaves me confused as to what I can or can not post.
It is b/c this post is old as dirt. Rules changed. I think this should be locked. Why does anyone want to compare their real Rolex to a fake is beyond me.
member#3242
Old 7 August 2009, 07:35 AM   #125
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
they are almost the same!!!!!!this is insane!!!!!!!!
Old 7 August 2009, 07:40 AM   #126
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
"Why does anyone want to compare their real Rolex to a fake is beyond me."
Good question. I personally want to see what NOT to buy so I don't loose $9,250 for a fakoroonie. I can't count how many times I have seen threads/posts giving very valuable advice to those of us who are shopping or considering a certain watch to purchase. And I don't think the comparison is a "Pepsi Challenge". Its meant to be a warning.
Old 7 August 2009, 07:56 AM   #127
sushisummo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmm......?
That is definetly top notch fake. Even this one have a maxi dial on it. I've seen a fake LV but with the regular skinny dial. You can spot it right away but this one is a really good fake.

Thanks for the info.

WISHLIST: Too many to list......
Member #23367
Old 7 August 2009, 08:21 AM   #128
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisummo View Post
That is definetly top notch fake. Even this one have a maxi dial on it. I've seen a fake LV but with the regular skinny dial. You can spot it right away but this one is a really good fake.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks again, and it is a top notched fake, as a matter of fact, it's kind of scary how close they got it!
Old 7 August 2009, 08:28 AM   #129
kandyman

Watch: GMTIIc & Milgauss
Wow, it's amazing how good the fake is. Being a newbie it would be hard to spot. Only real guarentee is to buy from a AD.
Old 7 August 2009, 08:36 AM   #130
Newless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
This is a good assessment of things. I travel to asia often too and they were knocking off Bell & Ross, Vacheron, Rolex, Cartier, Tag, U-Boat, AP, Breguet and about everything else under the sun. I'm heading back over there in 2 weeks. For this trip, I'll be going to Malaysia, HK and Korea. I'm sure I'll be seeing plenty of fakes along the way.

I'm hoping that Rolex and others will start incorporating harder features to copy or processes that are naturally more expensive to do. This will temper some of the fakes. Actually, come to think of it, the fake Tags look fake (funny statement). Also, usually the chronograph watches don't function as chronographs. But I have seen some very good copies.

I'm curious if someone has tried to copy the new GMT iic (the watch that I personally have)? It would seem that it would be difficult to re-create the look of the ceramic bezel. Guess I'll see in a couple of weeks.
There are plenty of GMT IIc copies out there. They don't re-create the look of ceramic, they use ceramic.
Scary huh?
Old 7 August 2009, 08:38 AM   #131
Newless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
These guys are getting better by the day....where I work there are lots on the go....a few of us have the real deal and it scares us all, but on the other hand there's much less chance of getting mugged because the muggers don't know how to tell (I hope!!!) - recently saw and held a Daytona.......watch head I have to admit would have fooled me, everything was right, chrono worked properly, 28800 beater....perfect....but it had the new style bracelet, the same as on my GMTIIc, the spring loaded part of the clasp was wrong...other than that....what other word desribes it better....scary...if I had not had my GMT with the new clasp I would have accepted it as the real deal.....we are not supposed to discuss fakes here but in reallity I would far rather know what is out there and how to spot it

Exactly, the more you know about the issue the better.
I don't think it's something to be ignored.
Old 7 August 2009, 08:47 AM   #132
Newless
"TRF" Member

There are better fakes out there that have the accurate flutes on the crown and the rounded corners on the extended link. So those aren't always a reliable way to tell the fake from the gen.
Old 7 August 2009, 08:50 AM   #133
Newless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon6 View Post
Kudos to Space Dweller and txrob779 for sharing some valuable information. Great posts! The weight of the fakes don't feel right when handled. Also, when you unscrew the crown and pull it out to position three to adjust the time, rotating the crown clockwise will advance the time forward. On the fakes, rotating the crown counter clockwise advances the time forward. The fake movements are opposite the real deal.
Not true. There are ETA movenments out there right now, in fakes, that have proper time advance.
Also there are fakes that weigh EXACTLY the same as the gens when put on a scale. Especially the Submariners.
Old 7 August 2009, 08:53 AM   #134
Gantrell

Subs

Wow, awsome job, thanks for being so thourough. great pictures.
Old 7 August 2009, 02:48 PM   #135
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
really excellent pictures.. to me it is impossible to distinguish the real one.. tha s why i bought mine from ad..
Old 7 August 2009, 03:10 PM   #136
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
It's SCARY how these replicas are just getting closer and closer to the real thing. I went to see my dad this weekend and he was wearing an LV that I had never seen him wear. I only found out it was a fake after he told me. I consider myself someone who is a little better then average at spotting a fake and this thing fooled the heck out of me - even the thumb recess was right on point, which is usually how I can easily spot them. I compared the sweep of the second hand to my SD and was AMAZED at how close it was. It scary.....

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
Old 7 August 2009, 04:51 PM   #137
Jet
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD/Sub/GMT/Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nektarios View Post
really excellent pictures.. to me it is impossible to distinguish the real one.. tha s why i bought mine from ad..
Yup! 4 of my 5 were purchased new from an AD. The 5th purchased from my daughter's godfather - with box & papers of course.

The quality of counterfeits are only getting better. It's tough to be able to distinguish what is genuine & what is fake.

I will only purchase from an AD or one of the reputable dealers here on TRF (w/ excellent reviews).
Old 7 August 2009, 05:00 PM   #138
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Can you imagine.....Explorer I.....with no date complication, no cyclops lens, no rotating bezel, no 24 hour hand, no fancy dial writing or sub-dials......fitted with a 28800 movement.....truly almost impossible to differentiate from the real deal........they are among us......I've had one in my hand out here in "former soviet bloc, pure as the driven slush-land"......scary is the only word.....
Old 7 August 2009, 05:35 PM   #139
Raam

Watch: Explorer
Its awhile been, what up guys!

nice post Many Thks SPACE-DWELLER!

the fake is so alike..dang! its scary ..LOL!

To be safe, i getting one from an AD for sure..

Last edited by Raam; 7 August 2009 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: love
Old 7 August 2009, 07:46 PM   #140
tcd_psp

im gonna save some money n get tthe fake one and nobody except you lot will be able to tell! j/k
Old 7 August 2009, 08:57 PM   #141
ral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
It is b/c this post is old as dirt. Rules changed. I think this should be locked. Why does anyone want to compare their real Rolex to a fake is beyond me.
Sorry, I was the one who dug up this old post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
"Why does anyone want to compare their real Rolex to a fake is beyond me."
Good question. I personally want to see what NOT to buy so I don't loose $9,250 for a fakoroonie. I can't count how many times I have seen threads/posts giving very valuable advice to those of us who are shopping or considering a certain watch to purchase. And I don't think the comparison is a "Pepsi Challenge". Its meant to be a warning.
I was looking at a ND Sub for sale a local forum, selling for U$2,750... no box and papers so I wanted some pointers on what to look out for. By the way, here is the watch in case anyone has an opinion.

Old 7 August 2009, 09:01 PM   #142
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
This thread should never have been resurrected now closed and locked for good.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Closed Thread