The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2008, 05:04 AM   #1
brettofthejungle
"TRF" Member

Rolex bands too large.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums here. My name is Brett and I have a SS Submariner and a SS Explorer II. I also have very small wrists. This is causing an issue for me and am wondering if i can get some guidance.

I wear my watches on my left arm. I have taken all of the links out of the section of band that extends from the bottom of the watch and a few out of the back section as well. The problem is, to make the watch small enough I have had to take a disproportionate amount of links from the bottom (front if looking at your wrist) section and now the bottom section is longer than the top (back) section. this causes the watch face to be facing away from me when i attempt to read it.

I know this is kind of hard to follow but basically the clasp and watch face are closer in the back and in the front and this makes the watch face sit on the back of my wrist. It doesn't look like i can remove any more links from the front section. Any ideas? Thank you.
brettofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 05:09 AM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

Your option isn't a fun one. You need to go to a qualified watch maker. They'll remove one of the permanent links (permanently!!!) by cutting it off. You can they add your adjustable "screw" links back on to connect the clasp.

Another option is to buy and aftermarket band and do the same. I'm doing that now, so my GF can wear my sub on the weekends (if she's good )

I would go for the later option as cutting your Rolex band greatly decreases it's value!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Welcome to the forum! There is a very easy fix for your problem, you can have a watchmaker drill out one of the permanent links. I have seen this done before and it looks great, but I would first consult your AD for a good watchmaker that is trustworthy to perform this....or there are plenty of watchmakers in Florida, possibly another forum member can refer you to one. Good luck!
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

The other possible option is to find a new-style clasp for the Daytona or GMT II-c which are designed without the "half-link" and allow for better clasp centering on the underside of the slimmer wrist (check Timezone and Watchnet for possible listings).
Perpetuator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The permanent links just pull apart........although it should be done by a professional to minimise any possible misadventure..

I don't see how this could possibly devalue or damage your watch in any way..... it will just make it fit, the same as you would with any watch.

Old 5 August 2008, 02:32 PM   #6
brettofthejungle
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Wow tools! I had no idea. How would you recommend going about this? Can you put them back together easily? should I use some sort of adherent? Thanks!
brettofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The permanent links just pull apart........although it should be done by a professional to minimise any possible misadventure..

I don't see how this could possibly devalue or damage your watch in any way..... it will just make it fit, the same as you would with any watch.

Nice photo illustration of the removed "permanent" link.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Now you've done it Larry.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettofthejungle View Post
Wow tools! I had no idea. How would you recommend going about this? Can you put them back together easily? should I use some sort of adherent? Thanks!

I've seen them pulled apart with a pair of pliers......these are usually thrown away.. That is why I say take it to a professional... You can slide, and then press a knife blade or thin wedge between the links and they will pull apart too, but this usually grooves the inside edge.

They just press back together the opposite way they came apart, if necessary, and a bit of loctite will hold them securely..

The link removed can also be replaced by a screw type link and nobody will ever know the difference..

Old 6 August 2008, 03:22 AM   #10
leonidas
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II X 2 (SS)
saw your problem, i also have rather small arms but have from the 6 o'clock side, only 5 links. for the 12 side then take out one, maybe two one the other side to have 5 showing from past the end of the cover on the x2. if you need a bit more from that said, it might still work. as well, the inside of my arm is meatier, and i have always worn my sub, gmt and x on the inside, feels more comfortable. hope something works, and it should!
leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2008, 03:54 AM   #11
Russ1974

Watch: BiMetal Daytona
Not sure if it's a trick of the light, but the top link looks bent on that photo of the removed link. Be careful!

I am jealous, removing links is usually free or cheap. I have fat wrists and had to BUY two extra links !! Next time you are buying a watch, give me a shout, we'll buy the same type and you can give me your excess links ;)
Russ1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2008, 04:06 AM   #12
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
This can't be an isolated thing.....you would think that Rolex would make..or at least make available...smaller bracelets. I think it would be a moderately large market....and would probably put their watches on more people that normally can't wear their watch.....
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2008, 02:54 AM   #13
Kevinm

My suggestion do not go the cutting route of the band. Buy a knockoff band, get it adjusted properly and put the Rolex band aside for future sale etc.

There are knockoffs that resemble the rolex bands prety close.
Kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2008, 03:02 AM   #14
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
I've dealt with this before and have removed links for chicks with smaller wrists who want to wear Subs or Daytonas even. And yes the permanent links can be replaced if you want them back, but for removal you're gonna need 2 good sets of pliers and lots of care. Maybe you shouldn't do this yourself since you could end up hurting yourself. I've busted my own face trying to pry things apart, many times.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2008, 03:50 AM   #15
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Welcome along, why not just put a pair of thick socks over your hands and wrist and, hey presto sorted.
Old 7 August 2008, 03:53 AM   #16
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinm View Post
My suggestion do not go the cutting route of the band. Buy a knockoff band, get it adjusted properly and put the Rolex band aside for future sale etc.

There are knockoffs that resemble the rolex bands prety close.
I'm doing this, but not with a knockoff. No crown on this clasp I bought, but rather just a quality oyster bracelet, SEL, designed for Rolex Subs. I'll get it hopefully in the next week. I'll take some pics and report back on the progress and what I had to do to get it off!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2008, 03:38 AM   #17
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
Does the Explorer II have the same bracelet as a Date 1501?

Mine has a 78350 19mm and I've been looking for "just one more" link to make it a little looser.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2008, 05:59 AM   #18
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jban5 View Post
Does the Explorer II have the same bracelet as a Date 1501?

Mine has a 78350 19mm and I've been looking for "just one more" link to make it a little looser.
You can order another link from your AD pretty cheap, around $50.
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2008, 06:28 AM   #19
acce1999
"TRF" Member

There was a thread about this two days ago, and I replied. I have removed permanent links several times. Follow the link, and read throught the comments.

- It is good advice to go to an AD or RSC if you are not confident in what your doing.

Read my comments in the following thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=48562

Perhaps I should ask one of the moderators if we should post a description permanently somewhere?

It is worth mentioning that the new solid oyster bracelet have better possibilities to adjust. I have an Air-King 114200 that fits perfectly just removing removable links. Same with Daytona, and other with the new bracelet.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2008, 07:20 AM   #20
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Another thought to lessen the probablility of damaging the links while pulling them apart is to wrap copper strips around the edges and grasp the copper which should buffer the steel of the pliars and link respectively.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2008, 08:00 AM   #21
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
You can order another link from your AD pretty cheap, around $50.
~Scott
I probably could get one ordered at my local AD but if I could find a link of similar vintage to my watch, around 1970, I'd be happier.

My AD also won't sell parts to anyone as far as I know. To keep up the appearance of "getting your money's worth" it would have to take at least 2 weeks and cost $35 for installing.

I do have a Rolex style straight slot screwdriver that fits the screw perfectly and wouldn't mind doing it myself.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 01:39 PM   #22
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I just removed a permanent link from my 14060 tonight so now I'm just like you Larry, 4 links on the 6 side. It fits much better now