The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2019, 08:43 PM   #1
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Omega vs Rolex "rivalry". Never understood it.

I own two Omega Seamasters and I have owned three (yes THREE) Planet Oceans, one black GMT and one Omega SMP Chronograph. I'm a Omega fan... what a GREAT watch brand! There is a lot of things I don't like about Rolex... but it's very difficult to find anything negative to say about Omega (besides that I find their endless "special editions" very cheesy and gimmicky).

But I always found this Rolex vs Omega comparison a bit stupid as they're in very, very different price category. I don't know the retail price for the new Bonds but you can buy a preowned early Bond Seamasters for around 1.3K while 5/6-digit Subs start from around 5.5-6K.

It's like comparing VW Passat to S-class Mercedes. Not to say that the Passat isn't a good car... it can be more reliable than the Merc... but let's face the reality: Omega and VW will never, ever have the prestige of Rolex or Mercedes. Yet Seamaster has always seen as a "rival to Rolex Submariner".

That being said, I think Omega is much better value for money and the movements are very well made. But that doesn't explain why these brands are seen as "rivals". Volkswagen is not considered a rival of Mercedes, Porsche or Jaguar so why should Omega be a rival to Rolex?

Breguet and IWC are rivals to Rolex, imho. Omega is a rival to TAG Heuer and Breitling.

I hope this doesn't start any negative debate... it's not my intention... let's just discuss this objectively.
Old 22 April 2019, 08:47 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

I wouldn't say Breguet (with an annual production of around 40,000 pieces and that produces in house manufactured complications like tourbillon, minute repeaters and perpetual calendars as well as grand complication models) are in competition with Rolex.

While the same buyer may appreciate both they are entirely different segments of the industry.

Omega is a far better comparison to Rolex. Albeit Rolex are, at least in my opinion, leading the segment that they and Omega occupy.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 08:51 PM   #3
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I think the car comparisons are always a bit lame. Forget the price as the watches compare well on the quality of the movement, materials and the history of the brands (so in that sense both brands do have prestige and rivalry). Some would prefer a Speedmaster or a Seamaster over the Rolex equivalent. But while there is a rivalry there’s no reason you can’t have both.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 08:51 PM   #4
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I wouldn't say Breguet (with an annual production of around 40,000 pieces and that produces in house manufactured complications like tourbillon, minute repeaters and perpetual calendars as well as grand complication models) are in competition with Rolex.

While the same buyer may appreciate both they are entirely different segments of the industry.
Yeah... not in that sense. But they're (roughly) in the same price range. Preowned Breguet Transatlantique Chronograph can be obtained for $7-8K.

Jaguar is considered a Mercedes rival although they sell maybe ten times less cars than Merc (all size segments considered).
Old 22 April 2019, 08:55 PM   #5
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
I think the car comparisons are always a bit lame. Forget the price as the watches compare well on the quality of the movement, materials and the history of the brands (so in that sense both brands do have prestige and rivalry). Some would prefer a Speedmaster or a Seamaster over the Rolex equivalent. But while there is a rivalry there’s no reason you can’t have both.
Yes... I always found those "comparative reviews" a bit pretentious. How can you make a technical comparison of a diver watch if you're not taking it to depths of the sea and test the abilities?

It's like comparing two supercars without driving them hard on the track.
Old 22 April 2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
Yeah... not in that sense. But they're (roughly) in the same price range. Preowned Breguet Transatlantique Chronograph can be obtained for $7-8K.

Jaguar is considered a Mercedes rival although they sell maybe ten times less cars than Merc (all size segments considered).
I really don’t understand the car comparisons. You say let’s discuss this objectively. Objectively speaking do you think the Speedmaster is a rival to the Daytona? I’d be interested to hear your views.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Omega vs Rolex "rivalry". Never understood it.

Quote:
I own two Omega Seamasters and I have owned three (yes THREE) Planet Oceans, one black GMT and one Omega SMP Chronograph. I'm a Omega fan... what a GREAT watch brand! There is a lot of things I don't like about Rolex... but it's very difficult to find anything negative to say about Omega (besides that I find their endless "special editions" very cheesy and gimmicky).

But I always found this Rolex vs Omega comparison a bit stupid as they're in very, very different price category. I don't know the retail price for the new Bonds but you can buy a preowned early Bond Seamasters for around 1.3K while 5/6-digit Subs start from around 5.5-6K.

It's like comparing VW Passat to S-class Mercedes. Not to say that the Passat isn't a good car... it can be more reliable than the Merc... but let's face the reality: Omega and VW will never, ever have the prestige of Rolex or Mercedes. Yet Seamaster has always seen as a "rival to Rolex Submariner".

That being said, I think Omega is much better value for money and the movements are very well made. But that doesn't explain why these brands are seen as "rivals". Volkswagen is not considered a rival of Mercedes, Porsche or Jaguar so why should Omega be a rival to Rolex?

Breguet and IWC are rivals to Rolex, imho. Omega is a rival to TAG Heuer and Breitling.

I hope this doesn't start any negative debate... it's not my intention... let's just discuss this objectively.

It's all just voices in your head.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:00 PM   #8
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really don’t understand the car comparisons. You say let’s discuss this objectively. Objectively speaking do you think the Speedmaster is a rival to the Daytona? I’d be interested to hear your views.
No. They're in different price range. That was the whole point.

Speedmaster Moon Watch is about what... 3500 euros. They start from 2K in the preowned market. How much does a steel Daytona cost?
Old 22 April 2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:

Breguet and Rolex rivals?!!!
No!
Can you name 3-4 models of Breguet without googling?

Breguet is with JLC.

Omega rival to Tag?!
Not at all. Tag is miles away from Omega.

Omega and Rolex, yes they are rivals, only that Rolex has the upper hand in terms of built quality.
They both make divers, dress watches, gmts, chronos....and have long history and model identity/iconic models.
Old 22 April 2019, 09:12 PM   #10
DasKptl
Banned

Quote:
But I always found this Rolex vs Omega comparison a bit stupid as they're in very, very different price category.

It's like comparing VW Passat to S-class Mercedes. Not to say that the Passat isn't a good car... it can be more reliable than the Merc... but let's face the reality: Omega and VW will never, ever have the prestige of Rolex or Mercedes.

I've heard that in the 1960s, Omega and Rolex had an equal status--similar prices and similar brand prestiges. Omega was Elvis' favorite watch brand.

But now, Rolex dominates.

Rolex re-launched Tudor in the early 2010s. Tudor is now suddenly hot, with distribution points all over the world. Tudor has become a formidable rival to Omega, in that just-below-Rolex category. Omega now needs to face Tudor first, before it will ever attempt to challenge Rolex.

(Has this been an outcome of Rolex/Tudor's intentional strategy? I don't know. It is just what is happening right now.)

DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:14 PM   #11
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasKptl View Post
I've heard that in the 1960s, Omega and Rolex had an equal status--similar prices and similar brand prestiges. Omega was Elvis' favorite watch brand.

But now, Rolex dominates. Rolex re-launched Tudor in the early 2010s. Tudor is now suddenly hot, with distribution points all over the world. Tudor has become a formidable rival to Omega, in that just-below-Rolex category. Omega now needs to face Tudor first, before it will ever attempt to challenge Rolex.

(Has this been an outcome of Rolex/Tudor's intentional strategy? I don't know. It is just what is happening right now.)

I agree. You got my point exactly.
Old 22 April 2019, 09:39 PM   #12
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Breguet and Rolex rivals?!!!

No!

Can you name 3-4 models of Breguet without googling?

Breguet is with JLC.

Omega rival to Tag?!

Not at all. Tag is miles away from Omega.

Omega and Rolex, yes they are rivals, only that Rolex has the upper hand in terms of built quality.

They both make divers, dress watches, gmts, chronos....and have long history and model identity/iconic models.

I vote for this viewpoint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:40 PM   #13
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Rolex re-launched Tudor in the early 2010s. Tudor is now suddenly hot, with distribution points all over the world. Tudor has become a formidable rival to Omega, in that just-below-Rolex category. Omega now needs to face Tudor first, before it will ever attempt to challenge Rolex.

Interesting point

Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

I would pick a Rolex over an Omega any day, but I’d pick an Omega over the Tudor too. I guess the brand doesn’t speak to me
Gunnersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:47 PM   #15
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Rolex has out-Veblen’ed Omega. That’s it.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:52 PM   #16
JP.
"TRF" Member

TAG image is interesting. It has never gotten much respect among the watch enthusiasts. I've owned three TAGs (Aquagraph, Aquaracer chrono in 41mm and 45mm) and they were excellently finished watches.

If you ask any non-WIS they always name TAG Heuer right after Rolex when get asked about "luxury watch brands". They've done their marketing homework and put a LOT of money to advertising.

Almost all WIS-newbies/wannabees always start the "mandatory TAG bashing" when they "graduate" a little bit. Sorry but it's getting a bit old after 20 years. :D

Yes, they make cheap F1-models and their advertising is a bit cheesy. But some Heuer designs are classic and somewhat unique and innovative: Monaco and Autavia come to mind... and also TAG's Link. I think it's pretty neat bracelet.

But yes... I think TAG Heuer is very much Omega's rival. They're in the same price category and compete from the same customers, regardless what the "3Li73 WIS" think about the brand.
Old 22 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
I think the car comparisons are always a bit lame.
Very
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #18
shalako
"TRF" Member

I don’t agree with the OP but I guess it’s about perception. Omega are way ahead of Tag Heuer and not sure why you would think IWC is better than Omega either.
Just because something is much more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better, I think the price disparity between Rolex and Omega for instance is more about market forces than the quality of the product.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:59 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolex doesn't have a rival .

I like styles from different brands(Panerai/IWC/JleC) ,but quality per dollar you pay for,Rolex is unrivaled .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #20
watchguru1
Banned

What the hell is going on here, lol. What are these car comparisons? Did you watch too much influenza on instagram?
Breguet is in no way a competitor to Rolex, neither price wise nor segment wise. Omega rivals Tag Heuer? Holy shit!

Also in watchmaking you rather compare by segments and then by price and not the other way, lol. Breguet and Roger W. Smith... ah sorry you can't compare because of different price, lol. Did you even think or was it just an impulsive posting?
watchguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #21
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I think they are often compared because they are two mass produced brands that are at the upper end of the TYPICAL consumer luxury budget when watch shopping. We know there are many more expensive brands, but if you ask the general public to name 3 high end watch brands, I think most would say Heuer, Omega and Rolex
Nothing to do with horological advancements or complications. Don’t overthink it.
Old 22 April 2019, 10:06 PM   #22
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguru1 View Post
What the hell is going on here, lol. What are these car comparisons? Did you watch too much influenza on instagram?
Breguet is in no way a competitor to Rolex, neither price wise nor segment wise. Omega rivals Tag Heuer? Holy shit!
I see you created an account just for this piece of wisdom. I must have _really_ insulted your watch.
Old 22 April 2019, 10:13 PM   #23
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Anyone noticing a lot of bickering lately?!

The lack of availability is getting to people I think!

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:17 PM   #24
watchguru1
Banned

Yeah I did. Noone compares a Breguet La Tradition with a Rolex Daytona 116509 just because they have similar price range. You compare the 116500 with Type XXI even if they're not even close in price, so you do compare the Speedmaster with it. Just think!
Old 22 April 2019, 10:21 PM   #25
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Anyone noticing a lot of bickering lately?!

The lack of availability is getting to people I think!
Yeah... it looks like it's impossible to start a even watch discussion in watch forum without offending or "triggering" someone these days. Amazing!

Old 22 April 2019, 10:25 PM   #26
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:29 PM   #27
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Rolex has out-Veblen’ed Omega. That’s it.

I believe this is the prime factor - plus the segment influencers aligned with Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:33 PM   #28
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I’ve heard from three different ADs in different markets that Rolex was not a fan of their ADs having Breitling in the store. How veiled the threats were I’m not sure but it caused the ADs not to go with the brand for fear of losing Rolex.

Rolex had no issues with IWC, Panerai, Omega, or PP.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:33 PM   #29
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguru1 View Post
Aren't you the pussy here, hence why you posted this crap in the first place?
This is watch forum. People discuss all kinds of things regarding watches here. If you're looking to trade some playground insults and act like a drama queen there must be much more suitable places to go.

Quote:
You look hurt because your mighty crown gets compared with something undesireable like Omega. You don't compare a fucking Breguet La Tradition with a Daytona 116509 because of similar price range, lul.
Oh... I look "hurt"? I didn't create a ghost account just for FL4M35. You did because you're embarrassed to use your regular screen name.

You're obviously paralyzed from the neck up and I insulted your Omega. I feel some sympathy... and I apologize. Now excuse me... I have a meeting with my coffee machine.
Old 22 April 2019, 10:40 PM   #30
watchguru1
Banned

Quote:
This is watch forum. People discuss all kinds of things regarding watches here.
I know it's watch forum but actually I have trouble finding discussions about watches... most discussion are about value and questionable comparisons.

Quote:
Oh... I look "hurt"? I didn't create a ghost account just for FL4M35. You did because you're embarrassed to use your regular screen name.
Actually it's my first time on this forum but yes I'm ghosting to protect my good name from different forums.

Quote:
I insulted your Omega.
Uff... the only brand I have sympathy for is ALS. Other than that I'm very objective and compare based on facts.