The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2020, 12:32 PM   #1
lencap
"TRF" Member

Would You Buy This Watch?

Greetings -

In the never ending series of buying a Rolex (feel free to read other related posts), I've found a 2017 36mm DJ with fluted bezel, Oyster bracelet (with Easy Link), silver dial. It's "near mint", according to the seller.

My hesitation is based on a few things: (1) it has the older 3135 movement with 48 hour reserve instead of the newer 3235 movement; (2) it has a silver dial which may offer a bit less contrast than my senior citizen eyes would prefer; (3) the Oyster bracelet is a fine choice, but the Jubilee has a very nice look as well and may pair better with the fluted bezel.

Compared to the current model similarly equipped the seller's price is nearly $3K less, a very attractive price for a watch that appears to truly be like new. The seller has the original box/papers/and the warranty card is stamped from 2017.

My wrist is about 7" and I've owned a 36DJ many years ago, finding the size fine. I know the trend is for larger cases, but for me I think the current 41 is too large. My current daily wear is the Black Bay 58, a very comfortable size for my wrist, and I have both the Tudor bracelet and the fabric strap.

My thought is the Rolex is almost a perfect compliment. The BB58 is a clean no date look, dark dial with a dive bezel. The Rolex is a light face, date complication with a very useful easily adjusted bracelet. The combination of the two would seem to handle anything that I'd throw at it in retirement. I'm not all that active in formal or semi-formal settings any longer, and maybe having two watches is a bit of overkill, but given their different looks it doesn't seem to be a big risk to try the Rolex. I considered the 39 OP with the white dial as well, but the 36DJ is about the same price used. The 39 is similar in size to the BB58, which some would say is a better size for my wrist, but the OP39 will likely get an updated movement very soon, so I'd prefer to wait for that option.

So, what say thee? Buy the used DJ 36 or not? Thanks in advance for the help.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 12:41 PM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
If it is a good deal and fits your criteria go for it. Tough hanging on for Rolex to do their updates. Especially in this scenario. Enjoy it now if you are able to get it. You could always flip it later if you decide the new one if what you want to go for.

Post pics when you have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Buy it
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:10 PM   #4
JohnnyBer
"TRF" Member

Definitely room at the inn for a partner watch. Go for it!
JohnnyBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:28 PM   #5
Freshly206
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ceramic Submariner
Send it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Freshly206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:54 PM   #6
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

OP that's one of my favorite combinations of the DJ. I would buy it but if you don't send me a PM lol ;)
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:16 PM   #7
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

There is no shortage of DJ's out there, regarding your concerns 1) I wouldn't worry about that 2) sounds like you would prefer a different colour 3) sounds like you would prefer a Jubilee.

I'd hold out for the one you actually want, you probably won't even need to hold out, I'm sure there are plenty for sale already.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:32 PM   #8
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
you have choice for this model. It sounds like a good deal but if you are really interested in a Jubilee, don't settle.
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:42 PM   #9
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Buy it so cheap omg

Why don’t you send us the purchase info if you are not keen
Old 24 June 2020, 02:47 PM   #10
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
Buy it so cheap omg

Why don’t you send us the purchase info if you are not keen
Its a used 3 year old Datejust. With a $3k saving compared to new. A pretty good deal but no reason to jump on it if its not the watch he wants.
Old 24 June 2020, 02:57 PM   #11
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
Its a used 3 year old Datejust. With a $3k saving compared to new. A pretty good deal but no reason to jump on it if its not the watch he wants.
Yea if he doesn’t. I’m sure some forummers are keen to get such a good deal

3k is Damn a lot, percentage wise is around 40%
Old 24 June 2020, 03:04 PM   #12
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
Yea if he doesn’t. I’m sure some forummers are keen to get such a good deal

3k is Damn a lot, percentage wise is around 40%
True put like that it is a lot. I had in my head it was two tone but he doesn't actually say it is.
Old 24 June 2020, 03:32 PM   #13
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
True put like that it is a lot. I had in my head it was two tone but he doesn't actually say it is.
There is instant profit to be made.

Like new condition full set for 40% less retail.
I would have instantly say “take my money”
Old 24 June 2020, 03:40 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I don't know why Rolex called it the DJ 41 because mine measures just under 39mm.

Less than 3mm bigger than a 36.

I would choose the 41.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:38 PM   #15
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

I would not buy this DJ with the silver dial just because of its lower price. Like other members have said, there's no shortage of superb DJs out there, so continue to search for the exact DJ combination that you want.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:06 PM   #16
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Hold out for what you really want because the 3235 movement, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet and a different color are all easily available.
Old 24 June 2020, 11:12 PM   #17
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

This still has the old lugs. Get the updated one, it looks better and not square shaped.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 12:11 AM   #18
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I would, but that doesn't mean you should.
Old 25 June 2020, 12:33 AM   #19
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

lencap -- thanks for taking us on this journey with you. My short response is pass on this one, and hold out for the one that checks off all the boxes.

I like your philosophy of making this DJ the contrast to the BB58. With this in mind, out of your three reservations, the two most significant in my mind are a) the silver dial and b) the bracelet. The movement does not bother me that much. But get the dial color and bracelet style that you want. My rationale is that a DJ from any generation, in decent condition, will function just fine -- movement will be "out of sight, out of mind." But you will be looking at the esthetics every day. Get the watch that you envision being happiest with on your wrist!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:50 AM   #20
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
Quote:
There is no shortage of DJ's out there, regarding your concerns 1) I wouldn't worry about that 2) sounds like you would prefer a different colour 3) sounds like you would prefer a Jubilee.

I'd hold out for the one you actually want, you probably won't even need to hold out, I'm sure there are plenty for sale already.

This.

JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:37 AM   #21
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Greetings -

In the never ending series of buying a Rolex (feel free to read other related posts), I've found a 2017 36mm DJ with fluted bezel, Oyster bracelet (with Easy Link), silver dial. It's "near mint", according to the seller.

My hesitation is based on a few things: (1) it has the older 3135 movement with 48 hour reserve instead of the newer 3235 movement; (2) it has a silver dial which may offer a bit less contrast than my senior citizen eyes would prefer; (3) the Oyster bracelet is a fine choice, but the Jubilee has a very nice look as well and may pair better with the fluted bezel.

Compared to the current model similarly equipped the seller's price is nearly $3K less, a very attractive price for a watch that appears to truly be like new. The seller has the original box/papers/and the warranty card is stamped from 2017.

My wrist is about 7" and I've owned a 36DJ many years ago, finding the size fine. I know the trend is for larger cases, but for me I think the current 41 is too large. My current daily wear is the Black Bay 58, a very comfortable size for my wrist, and I have both the Tudor bracelet and the fabric strap.

My thought is the Rolex is almost a perfect compliment. The BB58 is a clean no date look, dark dial with a dive bezel. The Rolex is a light face, date complication with a very useful easily adjusted bracelet. The combination of the two would seem to handle anything that I'd throw at it in retirement. I'm not all that active in formal or semi-formal settings any longer, and maybe having two watches is a bit of overkill, but given their different looks it doesn't seem to be a big risk to try the Rolex. I considered the 39 OP with the white dial as well, but the 36DJ is about the same price used. The 39 is similar in size to the BB58, which some would say is a better size for my wrist, but the OP39 will likely get an updated movement very soon, so I'd prefer to wait for that option.

So, what say thee? Buy the used DJ 36 or not? Thanks in advance for the help.
Confused here. Didn't you opine, sir, in one of your previous threads on the very subject, that you didn't like the "boxy" shape of the DJ36 prior to its latest version?

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:06 AM   #22
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
Confused here. Didn't you opine, sir, in one of your previous threads on the very subject, that you didn't like the "boxy" shape of the DJ36 prior to its latest version?

Cheers
Marc
He did. The thread is here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=747701

I suggest he look into the new Datejust 36 or Datejust 41. As someone else mentioned, the Datejust 41 is actually closer to 39 mm (isn't it 39.5 mm?).

I'm actually considering this same configuration -- Datejust with a silver dial. I also have a Black Bay Fifty-Eight. I think they would make a nice pair. I just suggest he go with the current model, even if it costs a bit more.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:50 AM   #23
lencap
"TRF" Member

You are correct about my earlier comments about the "boxy" look of the DJ case. What attracted me to the used watch is that at the price being asked there doesn't seem to be a lot of risk buying it and seeing how it works for me.

That changed today when I visited my local dealer and saw a 34mm watch with the silver dial, as well as an Oyster bracelet watch band on both fluted and domed DJ36s. After trying them out I came to the conclusion that the 36 DJ seems a bit small on my wrist (my daily watch is the BB58), and the 41 too large - it doesn't hug my wrist for some reason and feels larger than I expected. I also found that the Oyster fits my wrist better than the Jubilee - a bit of a surprise.

After trying out the various DJ watches the dealer had a 36 OP with white dial. That's the look I want, but on the larger 39 diameter case - the dial size has the clean white dial without numerals on the outer ring. I decided that I prefer the clean dial look instead of having a date. I asked to be put on a wait list for the OP39 - yes that has a wait list too.

If you're interested in the 36MM DJ that I mentioned in this post the seller is listed here: https://www.watchfreeks.com/threads/.../#post-2752404 The ad lists for $5600, but he'll take $5500. A similarly equipped new watch from Rolex is $8300, and adding tax that's more than a $3K difference. His Oyster bracelet also has the EasyLink. The exact model he is selling is the 116234-SSO. The date wheel is the standard all black, not the "roulette". Seems like a good deal for someone.

Thanks to all for your help.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:54 AM   #24
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

No - I don’t like 36mm DJ, especially TT

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:13 AM   #25
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Glad you had a chance to see and try on watches. Great choice in the OP39 white dial!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote