The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2020, 01:00 AM   #31
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandpatriot View Post
Hi all. New enthusiast. many people around the world have reported going to many ADs and seeing mostly date just and non popular models. It seems from a manufacturing standpoint that they should curtail the production of the non selling models and increase production of what people want. To build something that no one wants is just crazy. They should make all customers pay in full and guarantee delivery in 12 months or less. I know Rolex are who they are and I am nothing, but damn.
This forum, and ‘enthusiasts’ are not representative of the watch buying public at large.

Rolex doesn’t need anybody’s help to crack this nut.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:02 AM   #32
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
The inherent flaw in your logic is that datejusts are not popular and that nobody wants them.
This

"New enthusiast" indeed
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:09 AM   #33
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Purchasing something you want is not an entitlement, it is the meeting of a willing buyer and seller.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 06:15 AM   #34
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Threads like this is pointless .The same old story over and over .
So agree! DJs are fantastic watches. Just because they are not hyped and instagrammable doesn’t make them bad...hype is for fools. Pointless to the vanishing point! Repetitive price, availability, grail etc etc is not doing this forum any favours...There is some truly great content on TRF but not this and many others.
Old 25 June 2020, 06:25 AM   #35
TellingTime
Banned

Rolex=marketing genius....nuff said.
TellingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 06:36 AM   #36
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I don’t thing anything Rolex is “non-selling” (Cellini, perhaps). Some models sell like any other “normal” brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 06:47 AM   #37
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Complain all you want, nobody cares. Including Rolex.

It is what it is.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:06 AM   #38
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Hi all. New enthusiast. many people around the world have reported going to many ADs and seeing mostly date just and non popular models. It seems from a manufacturing standpoint that they should curtail the production of the non selling models and increase production of what people want. To build something that no one wants is just crazy. They should make all customers pay in full and guarantee delivery in 12 months or less. I know Rolex are who they are and I am nothing, but damn.
I'd hardly call the DJs unwanted. They are the most sold watch made by Rolex. "The Most Sold" would seem they they're wanted by many. Yes Rolex can sell professional series but in past times they've languished in show cases. I can't see a reason for them to ramp production because a bunch of watch nerds want them.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:35 AM   #39
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Rolex does manufacture the quote on quote desirable models but they don't end up in the store displays anymore. They are saved for people on a list or they are sitting in the safe in the back in case a VIP customer wants one or as an incentive for someone buying less desirable models. The shadier ADs sell directly to grey market dealers.

Does Rolex manufacture an unproportional amount of datejusts to professional models? Yes. They still manufacture plenty of professional models.

Models are more readily available right now, at least in my area which is very affluent. I went to a very popular AD and saw a Milgauss, Yachtmaster, Explorer, and a plethora of two-tone and full precious metal professional models. Pre-COVID that section of the display would have a few pieces. It was completely packed. Those aren't the most desirable pieces but there is definitely a change.

Called around looking for a Deepsea James Cameron and every AD I talked to stated there was no list for the watch. Picked an AD I want to establish a long-term relationship with and actually like so we will see how this turns out. I have 0 purchase history but the manager assured me the first one that came in would be mine but to keep in mind they rarely get that watch, regardless of the current demand. Let's see how fast I can get a $13k watch in the middle of COVID.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:41 AM   #40
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctora View Post
if rolex produces more of the desired watches they will simply get less desired by a large majority that chases a watch as part of the hype!
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:45 AM   #41
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
You can get hot models.
Either you spend big at an AD, buy grey... Or wait. It can be done.
And Rolex will never change their tactic now they have reached the coveted status they have. Demand is high, supply is low, and that creates a frenzy which we see on this forum daily (including this thread).
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:49 AM   #42
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
You dont say?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:51 AM   #43
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
IWC made this mistake, Rolex is not going to make it. Even Thierry Stern referred to this a couple of times.

IWC was known for their luxury precious metal watches when they came out with some steel ones. Eeeeeverybody wanted the steel ones, because .. a great brand at affordable prices. When at some point people didn't see the need to buy PM any more. IWC has been struggling since and is only now making a bit of a come back

Rolex is just fine where they are and has no need to end the waiting lists. They do not need the money and produce over a million watches per year, why in heavens name make that two million.
Interesting take on IWC. Glad I read past the 1st post in the thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:52 AM   #44
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
When I was still holding Board Meetings, there were always several Rolex watches in the room.

It was rare to see anything but Datejusts of all types. I was usually the only one with a GMT or something different.

I still see more DJ's at the Country Clubs and on Cruise Ships than any other model, but there are more and more Subs and GMT's showing up.
Old 25 June 2020, 08:55 AM   #45
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:16 AM   #46
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
getting ready to buy my 2nd datejust in a steel config. guess i'm not buying a popular model then
Old 25 June 2020, 09:24 AM   #47
Willgardner
Banned

Watch: HULK
They always do!
Willgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:26 AM   #48
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Yeah. Rolex could totally do a Randolph and Mortimer social experiment and make the WIS go crazy for TT Datejust.

great reference... not the model, the movie!
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:41 AM   #49
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
We have 3 Rolex watches in our household and one of them is a DJ.
A 33.3% hit rate is not too bad.
Actually it could be deemed to be a 50% hit rate when listing the references. One DJ verses two 116660's.
Or is it a case of the DSSD's out sold the DJ's 2:1

Either way one looks at it, it's not like Rolex is taking/buying back large quantities of any particular type of stock due to a lack of sales like another manufacturer(which shall remain nameless) has done in recent times.
As far as anyone knows, Rolex still manages to sell each and every one of the 750,000-900,000 units they make per year so somebody must be buying/wanting them
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:55 AM   #50
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
I don’t thing anything Rolex is “non-selling” (Cellini, perhaps). Some models sell like any other “normal” brand.

I agree. For example I think the OP 36mm sells reasonably well for Rolex and its AD's. Below are the dial options that were available to me in 2010, when I bought my 116000. And while the dial options have since been changed, the blue 3-6-9 dial still remains within the Rolex current line today, so my assumption is that particular configuration is a consistently good seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116000 dial options.jpg (161.2 KB, 66 views)
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:59 AM   #51
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Datejust is the most popular rolex model ever made. It is not even close. The datejust is the most recognizable model as well.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:03 AM   #52
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky1 View Post
So agree! DJs are fantastic watches. Just because they are not hyped and instagrammable doesn’t make them bad...hype is for fools. Pointless to the vanishing point! Repetitive price, availability, grail etc etc is not doing this forum any favours...There is some truly great content on TRF but not this and many others.
Agreed.
When one compares the DJ's to other watches in that class, they're a very respectable offering on a number of levels.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:37 AM   #53
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
My only Rolex is a datejust. I may step up to a day date one day, but no real interest in the “professional” models. ADs would love me haha.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:41 AM   #54
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I got a DJ36 as a daily, it's a great watch. Couldn't give two fs about how it's not pumped up by the forums or youtube etc...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:39 AM   #55
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Many people want DJs. They're also higher margin than the Professional should be on paper for Rolex to sell all else equal, so Rolex likes as well. Similar reasons as to why Patek doesn't shut down production of anything but the Nautilus in SS.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:44 AM   #56
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is a few years too late lol. Welcome, OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:59 AM   #57
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
To the OP,

A DateJust or Oyster Perpetual will serve you just as well as any of those overhyped models. And you can get it with less headache.
And nobody will diss you for wearing a DJ. It is still a Rolex after all.

Good luck.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote