The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2009, 11:46 AM   #31
DCGuy1965
"TRF" Member

I've personally bought several from ADs - 2 highly sought after models and 2 regular models. Unfortunately living in the DC area ADs kind of like to give you the 1 finger salute when it comes to discounting. I finally took the plunge on TRF buying from a trusted seller and saved a bundle. Got a hell of a watch too. I'm all for going gray but buying the seller cannot be overstated.
DCGuy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:09 PM   #32
DAVIDSW
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: 1655 EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjgman View Post
I'd buy one in a minute but I gotta have to be absolut ley sure it's real.At least when you buy from a AD or a brick and motor store there is someone to go back to if a problem occurs. l.
My advice to you is to purchase through an AD with a brick and mortor store. If you have this many doubts it just does not make sense for you to buy from the secondary market.
Pay a little more and you can return if you have a problem..... My advice to you.

Best Regards
DavidSW
DAVIDSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:16 PM   #33
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDSW View Post
My advice to you is to purchase through an AD with a brick and mortor store. If you have this many doubts it just does not make sense for you to buy from the secondary market.
Pay a little more and you can return if you have a problem..... My advice to you.
Best Regards
DavidSW

I agree..
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:29 PM   #34
Harvey58
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub Champ Serti
I bought from an AD local to me, and I would do it again, I got a good discount, saved on Tax by shipping out of town to a family member, and I knew it was real, new, and Fresh!!! I also got a call today just 3 weeks after my purchase and was invited to a Rolex showcase event at the store. I like the personalized service and I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for good service and knowing I am being looked out for!!!

TT Sub Champ. Serti Dial "M"
SS Sub-C "G"
Harvey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:31 PM   #35
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
When you don't know someone from the man in the moon that's a risky leap of faith to take.
I'd buy one in a minute but I gotta have to be absolut ley sure it's real.At least when you buy from a AD or a brick and motor store there is someone to go back to if a problem occurs. I'm in the NYC area how do I deal with that when the vendor is in Dallas or Miami??
I've purchased many items "gray market" in the past mosly electronics stuff like Pioneer Elte home theatre stuff for about the same price rang that we're talking about here.At least when the stuff was delivered there was never a question that it was a fake Pioneer plasma flat screen ect.
A Rolex watch is something a little too techical for most people to be able to tell.
I understand your concerns . . . I really do. However, I must put in my two cents.

The bottom line is the REPUTABLE dealers on TRF are far better than the A.D.s IMHO.

The communication is better, the questions are answered faster and with more knowledge. In addition, you don't have to worry about sales tax and even get shipping included--when you deal with the right sellers. You buy it and two days later it shows up on your doorstep.

DavidSW is too modest to tell you directly about his extraordinary service to the fine members of TRF. But the truth is he provides everything a buyer could ask for and more. Specifically, if you desire, he gets a warranty card from an A.D. in your name with a full warranty (the same as if you walked into a brick and mortar store). Also, he includes all the bells and whistles. And did I mention a strong discount?

Plus, in my dealings with him, he has personally monitored each step of the transaction, making sure that I had the watch in hand by the deadline the delivery company had promised.

I assure you--if I had had an issue with any Rolex I bought from DavidSW, he would've handled it professionally and expeditiously. I can't say that about all Rolex A.D.s.

PS DavidSW is the one I have dealt with personally, but I know my comments are applicable to several other grey dealers on this forum.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 12:32 PM   #36
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Cheers David
Old 6 August 2009, 12:50 PM   #37
MattG

Watch: Sub, ExpII, MIL-GV
TRF dealers are awesome. I've bought from both AD and TRF. I see no advantage from the AD if the GM dealer is reputable. Check out the classified section and pocket the extra money, especially if the AD refuses to deal.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 01:14 PM   #38
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
I have bought from an AD as well as a TRF member (DavidSW). No matter how much money I have, I don't plan on buying from an AD ever again. I see no point in throwing money down the drain to get a "warm fuzzy" from an AD. Most ADs treat you like crap until they believe you are going to buy something. I recently went into an AD to look at a PAM and let my friend wear my Platty in. The red carpet was rolled out for him and I couldn't get anyone to help me. What they didn't know was that he is in college and in no position to buy any watch.

One more thing, when I was shopping for my Platty I discovered that my local AD's copy had been tried on QUITE a few times and had taken on some serious wear such as:

-Scratch on the bezel

-Sticker worn off back

The watch I received from a member here had never been put on a wrist and I could tell.

I would recommend you do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. I am a relatively new member here and already feel more than comfortable purchasing a Rolex from some of the members here.

Good luck with whatever route you go!
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 01:21 PM   #39
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
if i had known then what i know now, i would never have bought from an AD. but i didn't know then what i know now, so i payed more than i should of to be darned sure that the rolex on my wrist is real.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 01:38 PM   #40
rsg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How can you say you really know a person that you met on the internet?? Maybe I'm too paranoid but I've seen cases before where people were really victimized by elaborate fraud. Ever hear of a guy named Madoff??
This is what I did to help me decide.

Firstly I read the forum and checked the for sale and who's who section here. Not for a day but for at least a month.

I settled on who I wanted to do business with and called him. Asked questions and got comfortable with him.

Made a purchase that was for a relatively small amount of money. The deal was flawless and the product was as represented.

I am now in the middle of a deal with the same person for a substantially larger amount of money. Before proceeding with the new deal I asked for references, both personal and on forums other than this one. I followed up on the references and when satisfied, I moved forward with the deal.

There also have been many phone conversations. I follow up all phone conversations with e mails so that both buyer and seller have written confirmation of terms (helps to avoid confusion later).

Had the seller been difficult at any time, shown offense at my asking for references, or uttered the words "trust me", the deal would have been off.

Assuming this deal is as flawless as the first, there will be many more to follow. Hopefully some will be face to face over a beer.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to stay away from AD's, I'm just sharing with you my recent experience. Ultimately you have to do what makes you comfortable.
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 10:35 PM   #41
jmsrolls
Banned

If you have ever dealt with a used car salesman, dealing with most Rolex ADs will be déjà vu. You will have the same uneasy sense that he/she is not knowledgeable of the product, not honest, and that you paid too much.

After this experience dealing with nine ADs in five states last year shopping for my EXPII, I went with a gray market dealer. He knew his stuff; his discount was double any AD's; his customer service was impeccable; and the watch arrived NIB complete down to the hand tag with full Rolex warranty.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 06:09 AM   #42
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
If you have ever dealt with a used car salesman, dealing with most Rolex ADs will be déjà vu.
You will have the same uneasy sense that he/she is not knowledgeable of the product, not honest, and that you paid too much.
Fr. John†
I wish there were "Greys" in the car business
I have been to 4 (supposedly) top notch AD's
to buy a 2008 car and I am seriously disappointed.

For the price of a small house you get service
similar to what would a flea market vendor will offer
...zero !!

None kept what was discussed over the phone previously
they wanted to put me through their agenda & pace !!
never answered important questions,
all kinds of guys were comming and going
...the sad truth was that I could see through
all of them and their sad song and dance,
Never stayed more than 2 hours in any AD
I left absolutely disgusted and surprised how low the
customer service really is in an authorised dealership.

If I was running my business like that
I would have commited seppuku (hara-kiri)
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 06:50 AM   #43
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
If you have ever dealt with a used car salesman, dealing with most Rolex ADs will be déjà vu. You will have the same uneasy sense that he/she is not knowledgeable of the product, not honest, and that you paid too much.

After this experience dealing with nine ADs in five states last year shopping for my EXPII, I went with a gray market dealer. He knew his stuff; his discount was double any AD's; his customer service was impeccable; and the watch arrived NIB complete down to the hand tag with full Rolex warranty.

Fr. John†
Great way to put it. 100% agree.
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 06:59 AM   #44
tommypit

Watch: 2005 TT Sub Black
I always buy from the same grey dealer, who gives me 25-30% off with no tax.

I see no advantage buying at an AD.

Good Luck with your purchase

Tom

Last edited by tommypit; 7 August 2009 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: spelling error
tommypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 07:28 AM   #45
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
With an AD you get a wonderful new friend who likes you for your money, will lie to you in the face, always insists that every watch is rare and hard to get, and knows absolutely dick about watches.

Oh, and you get a warranty. A 2 year warranty on a watch that will last hundreds of years.

If an AD is offering a discount I will consider buying from them. Otherwise, I avoid it. The grey dealers I know respect the watches more and don't blow a lot of smoke at me.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 08:10 AM   #46
RFB

Watch: 14060M
Peace of mind? Good luck in your choice
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote