The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Date Function

There seems to be a difference in date function among Rolex models. My watch changes date precisely at 12:00 midnight. When I say this, I mean not a single movement of the second hand too soon or late. Also, the date flips very quickly and all at once. I was told that this was a fluke and not the norm. I have been doing some checking and it appears that all Sea-Dweller owners report that their movement is the same as mine (from threads on the web). I was wondering if you all could test your specific model (if it has a date) and tell me when your date flips in relation to the hands, specifically the second hand. Its just something I have always loved about my watch and now I am a bit concerned that when it comes back from service that it will be different. I guess I could just wait and see if I won the lottery twice in a row or not.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Well...I remember years ago, when I got my first Rolex, 23 years ago to be precise......I did sit up 'til midnight to see what happened.....the date did change in an instant, but that instant wasn't exactly midnight.....I was still impressed......I still am.....I have not checked a watch since......they change around about midnight I am positive....if yours changes bang on well that's great....but the vast majority do not......most of us are probably sleeping when the date changes so if you are not watching does it really matter?....if the date is correct every time you look at your watch and need to check then there's no room for complaint...mine have never been wrong.....

I seem to remember recently Steve Mulholland posted that it was possible to force your watch to change bang on midnight.....the theory goes something like this.......you give your watch to a watch service guy and he re-sets the watch to just before midnight......he then waits for the date to click over, at that exact moment he "hacks" the movement, no matter what time is displayed....then he removes the hands and re-positions all three (or four for GMT's and EXP II's) to align at exactly 12.....then he sets the watch to the correct time.......next time the watch displays 12 midnight the date should change at that exact moment.....

But is it really a big deal?????
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
DadsWatch72
Banned

"I did sit up 'til midnight to see what happened"

Just forward your watch to 11:59 and wait a minute.

"But is it really a big deal?????"

It is to me.
Old 7 August 2009, 10:37 PM   #4
MrMojo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
"I did sit up 'til midnight to see what happened"

Just forward your watch to 11:59 and wait a minute.

"But is it really a big deal?????"

It is to me.
You mean.....set it.....to......the WRONG TIME!!???

Blasphemy! :P
MrMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Idle Swede
Suspended

It is the norm and not a fluke.

Your mileage might vary though.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 10:41 PM   #6
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojo View Post
You mean.....set it.....to......the WRONG TIME!!???

Blasphemy! :P
I actually did laugh out loud on that one. LOL
Old 7 August 2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Actually what I found was that my date changed at 00:00:32.....32 seconds after midnight.....but when I checked the watch against the atomic clock I found it was running exactly 32 seconds fast....so the date changed at exactly the right time!!....since then I have never adjusted the watch and it has kept precise date!...it is always spot on......I just checked it in fact and yep, as usual spot on....it's the 7th, quite brilliant!!!
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 11:05 PM   #8
DadsWatch72
Banned

Must be time for tea and strumpets.
Old 7 August 2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Quick calendar changes is one of the things Rolex is known for especially the dd which flips both calendars simultaneously. You take the Seiko dd and it takes 3 hours to change both calendars. Just different engineering. A minute or 2 before or after the hour is normal the odds of all 3 hands lining up at exactly 12 well I think you'd have a better chance at a date Jessica Alba. Rik the Watchmaker
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 11:34 PM   #10
DadsWatch72
Banned

I think there is a guy in Dallas that knows what he is doing and has a trick up his sleeve. I have no idea of the way he might be doing it but I don't think its coincidence. Perhaps not every watch repairman is as knowledgable as this guy. He does work for Rolex. That has to say something in itself.
Old 7 August 2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
Actually what I found was that my date changed at 00:00:32.....32 seconds after midnight.....but when I checked the watch against the atomic clock I found it was running exactly 32 seconds fast....so the date changed at exactly the right time!!....since then I have never adjusted the watch and it has kept precise date!...it is always spot on......I just checked it in fact and yep, as usual spot on....it's the 7th, quite brilliant!!!

Ha Ha, mine also keeps perfect date!

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2009, 12:13 AM   #12
DadsWatch72
Banned

I called Rolex on this one. They said that the movement should be within one second of changing the date.
Old 8 August 2009, 12:19 AM   #13
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Must be time for tea and strumpets.
LOL...a strumpet is a prostitute...did you mean crumpet or strumpet??
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 8 August 2009, 12:19 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
There seems to be a difference in date function among Rolex models. My watch changes date precisely at 12:00 midnight. When I say this, I mean not a single movement of the second hand too soon or late. Also, the date flips very quickly and all at once. I was told that this was a fluke and not the norm. I have been doing some checking and it appears that all Sea-Dweller owners report that their movement is the same as mine (from threads on the web). I was wondering if you all could test your specific model (if it has a date) and tell me when your date flips in relation to the hands, specifically the second hand. Its just something I have always loved about my watch and now I am a bit concerned that when it comes back from service that it will be different. I guess I could just wait and see if I won the lottery twice in a row or not.
Well the Cal 3135 is found in the majority of the mens watches so it should be the same for all cal 3135 models,no matter what the model case is. And being mechanical as long as the date changes over night you have nothing to worry about. Had a few SDs over the years vintage and post 1989, and some change around midnight, some did not but no big deal.But most of the time I was fast asleep at midnight, as you get to mature age,you cannot be bothered with such triviality's as watching a date change on a watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2009, 12:24 AM   #15
TheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD&YM&DaytonaOMy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
LOL...a strumpet is a prostitute...did you mean crumpet or strumpet??
No wonder my wife got so upset when I answered her question about what I ate for lunch...

m.
TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2009, 12:42 AM   #16
DadsWatch72
Banned

It was an obscure reference to the movie Dumb and Dumber regarding tea time, since I knew that Colnago is British.

Lloyd: If I know Mary as well as I think I do, she'll invite us right in for tea and strumpets. ...
Old 8 August 2009, 01:10 AM   #17
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Either way a great line
al_bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2009, 01:23 AM   #18
DadsWatch72
Banned

I was picking up Colnago's sarcasm (since its like a second language to me). So I figured I would retort in a witty and 'dry' fashion. Gotta love that dry English humor.
Old 8 August 2009, 02:08 AM   #19
DadsWatch72
Banned

I found this on the web and it sums up how I feel about the date change issue perfectly.

"I love Rolex. I am not a vintage nut... but I love the pics and info about vintage Rolex... I just got an SD and I was enjoying the differences between the LV and the SD... many actually... enough to do a photo comparison one day... but here's a tiny thing that makes me love Rolex. 12 midnight was approaching. I was watching the dial to see when the date would change. It was 11:59. I turned my head. And BLINK! The date had changed--at exactly midnight. Okay, not a miracle. But it's just one RIGHT function that makes you say, COOL, yes, RIGHT! Perfect. Very satisfying. Very Rolex. I've had watches that took 30 minutes, an hour to make the date change... at many times the cost of this simple, minimal, starkly beautiful diver... I'll probably one day own a vintage Rolex, as I seem to appreciate this brand, more and more, above all others... and I was the last guy in the world to become a Rolex collector. That's about it. Quality is quality."