The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Buggy Chief
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona WF
Panerai vs. Rolex

Every time I go into my AD, I wander to the Panerai section and love a lot of their watches. I love the history and bulkiness of their pieces. When it comes down to buying one (which I have done many times), I look at the price and say, "I could buy a Rolex for the same price" and feel fairly confident it goes up in value.

Help me with what I am missing relative to my thought process and potential Panerai Models to consider. Thanks
Buggy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 11:36 AM   #2
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Simple - a ROLEX lasts 60+ years it actually gets better with age.
Panerai is like "man" it gets old looking

ROLEX is a magnificent workhorse, Panerai is a fun watch for a while
a
Old 27 April 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Buggy Chief
"TRF" Member

Thanks for input. Just trying to figure out what I am missing. I bought a Breitling Bentley a few years back and didn't thing twice as a Rolex is more expensive. But the Panerai looks great, but it looks like the price point is about $11k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post

a
Old 27 April 2019, 11:43 AM   #4
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy Chief View Post
Thanks for input. Just trying to figure out what I am missing. I bought a Breitling Bentley a few years back and didn't thing twice as a Rolex is more expensive. But the Panerai looks great, but it looks like the price point is about $11k.
Panerai's do look great, especially models with complications and their new inhouse movements are lovely
BUT
The movements just do not meet (in my opinion) the greatness and technology of Rolex.
ROLEX changes their models rarely so pieces become a legend. Panerai are continually changing models

Thats just my thoughts - I do not see Panerai going up in demand and value as ROLEX do
Old 27 April 2019, 11:45 AM   #5
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Personally, I wouldn't buy either of them new at an AD, that helps increase the spread in the cost of acquisition quite a bit. I wear both, but if I was only buying one watch, it would more than likely be a Rolex. I don't have near the collection that many on TRF have, but in my modest collection I do enjoy having a variety, hence the placement of my Pam 111; this model can be easily had for around 4G.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Buggy Chief
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input as I would buy a submersible if I pulled the trigger. Going to Vegas this week and will take another look at the Panerai boutique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy either of them new at an AD, that helps increase the spread in the cost of acquisition quite a bit. I wear both, but if I was only buying one watch, it would more than likely be a Rolex. I don't have near the collection that many on TRF have, but in my modest collection I do enjoy having a variety, hence the placement of my Pam 111; this model can be easily had for around 4G.
Old 27 April 2019, 11:57 AM   #7
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I like the looks of the Panerai subs, but not on my wrist. I have actually worn my 111 more than any other watch I own. I just love how it feels and the ease of reading the dial.

Good luck in the hunt.... I will agree with the sentiments of your original post though, you will take a bath if you buy new from an AD, that is certainly a drawback if that's your thing.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:26 PM   #8
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

a

?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:53 PM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolex ss sporties are commodities these days
Panerai is lots of fun

Be selective when you buy Panerai.Certain models will always go up.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 02:24 PM   #10
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I think you could score a discount of 20-25 percent new out of an AD, not boutique. As much as it feels good to have a watch that would retaining a majority of its value and etc, this is a hobby and it should be followed with passion. You can buy whatever you want, but buy it smart. I love Rolex, but I prefer diversity more and after a while if you have multiple Rolexes, all the case sizes and etc beocome very similar. So it’s always good to have something a little different. Go for the PAM, submersibles are built like a tank.
Old 27 April 2019, 02:27 PM   #11
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well the reason for that history is Rolex.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 07:19 PM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

You’re thinking too much. If you are concerned about value buy a Rolex. If you want to love your watch buy a Panerai. I’ve had both. Currently I have a Pam 233, which bought well will retain value. I also have a vintage 1803 for when I need a dress watch, which will also retain value. Together they make a great set. Buy what you love. Eventually the bubble will burst anyway.
Old 27 April 2019, 08:22 PM   #13
ASW1
"TRF" Member

I get your dilemma. I was a Rolex fanboy for decades and at one point had 12 SS sports models. Only a year back I had 9 but that's now down to just 1 'keeper', a Hulk I've had for 8 years.

Many years ago I had a PAM24 Submersible, but this only lasted a few days. I thought it was too big, too shiny and I hated the rotar wobble of the Valjoux movement.

Every now and then I would still hanker for one, the 233 in particular - for some reason.

A couple of years ago I picked up a 233 and it snowballed. In that time I've owned 233, 346, 425, 389, 368, 932, 687, 932, 911, 913, 654 (I think that's it), and still own 7 of them, albeit that I'm offloading 3 to fund a house move.

Since the Panerai arrived the Rolexes literally never got/get worn and I sold 8 of them.

So why Panerai:
The history is every bit as interesting as Rolex. Heritage, marketing plus some scandal.
The strap changing is addictive and changes the look hugely.
The London Boutique team are stars - on first name terms with them all and you can always pop in for a drink and chat, not just about watches.
The quality of the watches (all inhouse movements) IMO is every bit as good as others in that price point.
It's very rare to ever see anyone else wearing a Panerai (Rolex are so so ubiquitous).

In particular I love (on various models):
The presence on the wrist - if you're wearing a watch, then wear a watch... Bold and proud.
The domed crystals.
8 day movements.
Easy change strap mechanism.
Titanium cases.
Power reserve indicators.
The easy change hour hand (jumps for timezones).
Sandwich dials.
The case architecture.

As for value, yes Rolex tend to hold/increase, but if you want an investment put your money into your pension or an ISA, if you want to ENJOY a hobby follow your heart.

Personally I don't get on with the "Bettarini' case models, they lack the curves/interest of the 1950, 1940 and other Rads.
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #14
Buggy Chief
"TRF" Member

Great Summary! Thanks for you input and details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
I get your dilemma. I was a Rolex fanboy for decades and at one point had 12 SS sports models. Only a year back I had 9 but that's now down to just 1 'keeper', a Hulk I've had for 8 years.

Many years ago I had a PAM24 Submersible, but this only lasted a few days. I thought it was too big, too shiny and I hated the rotar wobble of the Valjoux movement.

Every now and then I would still hanker for one, the 233 in particular - for some reason.

A couple of years ago I picked up a 233 and it snowballed. In that time I've owned 233, 346, 425, 389, 368, 932, 687, 932, 911, 913, 654 (I think that's it), and still own 7 of them, albeit that I'm offloading 3 to fund a house move.

Since the Panerai arrived the Rolexes literally never got/get worn and I sold 8 of them.

So why Panerai:
The history is every bit as interesting as Rolex. Heritage, marketing plus some scandal.
The London Boutique team are stars - on first name terms with them all and you can always pop in for a drink and chat, not just about watches.
The quality of the watches (all inhouse movements) IMO is every bit as good as others in that price point.
It's very rare to ever see anyone else wearing a Panerai (Rolex are so so ubiquitous).

The presence on the wrist - if you're wearing a watch, then wear a watch... Bold and proud.
The domed crystals.
8 day movements.
Titanium cases.
Sandwich dials.
The case architecture.

As for value, yes Rolex tend to hold/increase, but if you want an investment put your money into your pension or an ISA, if you want to ENJOY a hobby follow your heart.

Personally I don't get on with the "Bettarini' case models, they lack the curves/interest of the 1950, 1940 and other Rads.
Old 27 April 2019, 10:16 PM   #15
nick c
Banned

Quote:

a

I disagreeIMG_0991.jpgIMG_1287.jpg

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:17 PM   #16
Buggy Chief
"TRF" Member

Excellent Collection!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I disagreeAttachment 1037659Attachment 1037660

Old 27 April 2019, 10:23 PM   #17
nick c
Banned

You should buy pre-owned and you will be fine.

Old 27 April 2019, 10:27 PM   #18
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:

a
This is a really odd statement.
Old 27 April 2019, 10:42 PM   #19
Buggy Chief
"TRF" Member

That's what I am seeing. If a buy a pre owned, then shouldn't get hit too bad. Thanks.

Quote:

Old 27 April 2019, 10:45 PM   #20
erik asher
"TRF" Member

I have owned both and continue to do so—Rolex for almost 30 years and Panerai for almost 20 years...no one can accuse me of bashing Rolex—it’s a premier global brand for all the right reasons...a Rolex is a great gift to buy your wife...they look great on women...for a man, it’s just a boring watch. Why? Every man with a bit of status has and wears a Rolex. So what? Where is the individuality with it? The statement it makes is “I have money and I play it safe. I either enjoy being like the majority of other people who have money and like to wear a nice watch; I have money and know nothing about watches and just don’t care; or I am a sensible guy and like to wear sensible timepieces.” If you own a vintage Rolex, that a different ball game and a vintage in conjunction with other pieces is nice.

Panerai is everything exciting about wearing watches. The rarity of the brand, the boldness of the dial, the nuances in the different models, the look on the wrist, the changing of the straps, and the wonderful community of Paneristi.

Be bold—try it out.

Or be boring and don’t.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:49 PM   #21
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy Chief View Post
That's what I am seeing. If a buy a pre owned, then shouldn't get hit too bad. Thanks.
Bingo
Old 27 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #22
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Panerai is an amazing watch for me. In a matter of seconds you can give a watch a totally different look. I force myself to wear other brands only to wish I wore my panerai. As for an investment stand point Rolex ss models and other major brands ss models use to be had at a 20 percent discount. This only only started in last 4 years. Will this last forever who knows. Buy what's sings to you. As I look at my collection I realized sometimes it isn't the most expensive watch or most retained value piece that sings to your heart. That to me is priceless
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:52 PM   #23
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I really don't get some of the collections people have on this site. Some have 10+ Rolex sports models. How do you choose what to wear? Which one of the 5 black subs/SDs will you wear today? I prefer some diversity in a collection, and adding a Pam or two certainly does that.

I agree with the suggestion to buy used though, as new prices are too high. The prices on some models are creeping back up as the used supply dries up, but it's taken quite a few years. You need to buy carefully when it comes to Panerai so you don't lose your shirt.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:52 PM   #24
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
I have owned both and continue to do so—Rolex for almost 30 years and Panerai for almost 20 years...no one can accuse me of bashing Rolex—it’s a premier global brand for all the right reasons...a Rolex is a great gift to buy your wife...they look great on women...for a man, it’s just a boring watch. Why? Every man with a bit of status has and wears a Rolex. So what? Where is the individuality with it? The statement it makes is “I have money and I play it safe. I either enjoy being like the majority of other people who have money and like to wear a nice watch; I have money and know nothing about watches and just don’t care; or I am a sensible guy and like to wear sensible timepieces.” If you own a vintage Rolex, that a different ball game and a vintage in conjunction with other pieces is nice.

Panerai is everything exciting about wearing watches. The rarity of the brand, the boldness of the dial, the nuances in the different models, the look on the wrist, the changing of the straps, and the wonderful community of Paneristi.

Be bold—try it out.

Or be boring and don’t.
I totally agree.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:52 PM   #25
nick c
Banned

Quote:

So why Panerai:

The domed crystals.
8 day movements.
Titanium cases.
Sandwich dials.
The case architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post

Be bold—try it out.

Or be boring and don’t.
Well said guys
Old 27 April 2019, 11:01 PM   #26
Mohawkman450
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
I have pam 305, 682, 616, 614 an there all awsome ! If u like the watch to keep buy a Pam if your gonna flip buy a Rolex
Mohawkman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:16 AM   #27
synequano
Banned

Rolex is a bit like a Toyota/Honda - reliable,safe but very pedestrian and boring,it offers better resale value though so they’re also being targeted by the thieves

Panerai OTOH is a bit like Fiat/Alfa Romeo - beautiful but a bit temperamental

Personally I have several Rolexes in the safe and (usually) wear a Panerai on the wrist
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:29 AM   #28
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:

So why Panerai:

The domed crystals.
8 day movements.
Titanium cases.
Sandwich dials.
The case architecture.

States perfectly!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:44 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This is my one and only Panerai.

I could care less whether it goes up in value. Most will mock me for paying over retail, but I could care less. I love this piece and it was worth every penny

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:45 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote