The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2024, 01:49 AM   #1
macplee
"TRF" Member

Selling back your watch to your AD who has a CPO program?

Has anyone done this yet?

Do you get love from the AD for selling the watch back or do they care one way or another?

For example if you sell or commission your Ferrari back to the dealership you purchased from you are "in" the family. If you sell outside the "family" less good.

Thanks
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 02:12 AM   #2
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
In my experience any time you sell a watch back to an AD that you are on good terms with it engenders goodwill.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 03:49 AM   #3
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
I’m sure they’d love you for it! They made their margin when they sold it to you new, and now they’re getting it back to make money on all over again with having full knowledge of its provenance; being certain it wasn’t stolen, and likely not modified either.

Plus if you’re trading toward a new piece they are making that margin too.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 03:51 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I agree with these two fine gentlemen ^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 03:52 AM   #5
Pboned

Watch: SD43
I would think it’s a good thing but just my opinion.
Pboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 03:57 AM   #6
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Definitely gets you brownie points. What they offer is a different question but since they can sell market price it gives some leeway depending on the watch.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 05:33 AM   #7
Cassian739

You'll definitely get brownie points and goodwill, even though a trusted seller might give you more.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 05:45 AM   #8
macplee
"TRF" Member

has anyone sold back their watch to AD who used it/ needed it for their CPO program?
Old 25 May 2024, 05:54 AM   #9
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Mostly buyers here, I presume.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 07:37 AM   #10
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Be interested in what offers are made ?
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 08:10 AM   #11
Alexandria_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macplee View Post
Has anyone done this yet?

Do you get love from the AD for selling the watch back or do they care one way or another?

For example if you sell or commission your Ferrari back to the dealership you purchased from you are "in" the family. If you sell outside the "family" less good.

Thanks
+++++++++++++++++++++

Sort of. I recently sold a Batman that I’d bought at a competing AD, and then purchased from their CPO program a Pepsi. While picking it up, I also talked with them about some custom jewelry design I’d like them to help with.

I certainly felt like this created goodwill and while I didn’t get offered a new Rolex that day, I was conscious of them going out of their way to confirm the Patek models I’d asked to be considered for.

I’ll update this in the future if I either use the CPO program again or get a new watch in the near future…

Cheers!
Alexandria_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 08:32 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Selling back your watch to your AD who has a CPO program?

I think those who feel a trade-in or a sell-back engenders some measure of goodwill are correct...IF...

It's a BIG IF...

IF you accept their offer with no questions, niggles or quibbles.

So we sort of "go first" when we offer it up. Be prepared to go with a Danish Gambit to garner the best longterm shift in status.

Or risk it all with a Sicilian Defense.

I think I'd have a "no go" price floor going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 05:53 PM   #13
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Yes. Fair price and unloaded a 1980s 16013 I never wore in support of an LV. amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 06:04 PM   #14
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
No experience but makes a lot of sense for the seller not having to deal with all the hassle of selling it yourself. Downside is that they probably lowball you
Old 25 May 2024, 08:44 PM   #15
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Years ago, selling back a watch or trading one in when purchasing a new one, was a simple and direct. Similar to trading in an old car when buying a new car at the dealership.

I was curious about the CPO program with a local AD (I have traded watches in with this dealer in the past when before that chain was acquired by a larger corporate entity). I learned that the trade in process or selling process was handled on line, with the process being outsourced to an affiliated third party. Kind of like selling to one of the larger gray market or aftermarket resellers around the country where watch details are submitted and a price is offered pending their inspection. It lacked the personal experience I want when buying from an AD, though. It also lacked the personal or direct experience I get when I deal with one of my favored aftermarket or gray market dealers that I’ve grown to trust over the years.

It also made it difficult to actually trade a piece in since the dealer might not have the inventory in stock for the sale or trade at the same time.

I do not have experience in knowing what the CPO price offers are compared to other independent aftermarket dealers. My guess is that the offered price won’t be in as much parity with the somewhat high CPO prices I’ve seen compared to what is readily available in the aftermarket from resellers already.

Old 25 May 2024, 10:40 PM   #16
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I agree with these two fine gentlemen ^^
Ditto.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 11:10 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The CPO program and trades are set up for the most part to work with individuals who are not aware of market conditions and prices. The more educated you are on prices, availability, and trade/sell options the more the AD's have to do to get your business/watches. I have an AD that I trade with and buy from on a regular basis and we cut through a lot of the issues very quickly. We also do not waste each others time with silly offers and counter offers and unrealistic asks. They will also just tell me the truth about pieces and why they are selling them for so much and certain ones they will not move on. No emotions involved, I don't get insulted and it is all about the business for us. My advice to anyone looking to sell a watch to an AD, either CPO or not, is to get as much information as possible about the watch you want to move and any watch you want in return. Cross shop with our Trusted Sellers and have a conversation with the AD with all of the information. In the end, act in your own best interests.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 02:40 PM   #18
macplee
"TRF" Member

common sense rules in most cases but with this new CPO world i am wondering in a real world example.

Your AD sold you a Pepsi for $10k ...you sell it back to them at some price say ($10 to 15 k) and in return get in the good graces for a SS daytona?

Sell the AD the SS Daytona back for list price and move up in line for a Platona?
Old 26 May 2024, 02:47 PM   #19
Andad

Watch: A few.
Now that sounds like a plan and you could keep going and end up with a Bugatti Veyron.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 10:40 PM   #20
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by macplee View Post
common sense rules in most cases but with this new CPO world i am wondering in a real world example.

Your AD sold you a Pepsi for $10k ...you sell it back to them at some price say ($10 to 15 k) and in return get in the good graces for a SS daytona?

Sell the AD the SS Daytona back for list price and move up in line for a Platona?
A $5K profit on a $10K watch when you return it to the place of purchase. No wonder there are still waiting lists at AD’s.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 09:16 PM   #21
JSol1

I did use the CPO program for a trade. However I already have a significant relationship with our AD.
I know the market well and was only willing to do it on my terms-and told them that. I simply wanted what I paid for my piece that wasn’t a hype piece for one that was (YM40 for BLRO).
This was last year when BLROs were rumored to be discontinued. Told them in January to take my watch and hold a credit for as long as it took.
I got my BLRO in October.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 10:00 PM   #22
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
In my experience any time you sell a watch back to an AD that you are on good terms with it engenders goodwill.

I can personally attest that this is true because I sold back to my AD three of my watches bought from them.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 04:43 AM   #23
macplee
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing your real life stories - sounds like the cpo program could be win / win for those in the family
Old 28 May 2024, 07:33 AM   #24
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
I’m sure they’d love you for it! They made their margin when they sold it to you new, and now they’re getting it back to make money on all over again with having full knowledge of its provenance; being certain it wasn’t stolen, and likely not modified either.

Plus if you’re trading toward a new piece they are making that margin too.
Agreed. And the AD isn’t limited to an MSRP price like it is when it seels a new Ari,ex. The AD can charge more if that is what the market is, and maybe even another small premium because you are buying the highest level seller
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 07:42 AM   #25
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Sold like 10 back in only the last few years. Not through CPO. It always lines me up for the next one and I get back what I paid for it. From my understanding the only thing different now is you have to wait 3 years until you sell it back through CPO.