The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 May 2022, 07:10 AM   #1591
jaygrow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
bracelet wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great combo! Am a multiple straps guy so....

Thanks for asking and am past the honeymoon and am still blown away by the legibility (and movement of course). The elongated font helps my eyes read the date clearly too.

The bracelet is really nice, fits well, yet it's not 'liquid silk' on the wrist like the 50th anniv Omega Buzz bracelet or super tight Octo FS. The Czapek's bracelet's micro-adjust is a big plus (BIG PLUS!!!), and overall it is a beautiful bracelet. My Muse prefers the bracelet visuals over the strap.

As I get older, am more a strap guy for feel and lighter weight since it's worn 24/7. Love the strap setup and sheer ease of changing from one to another. Am grateful Czapek is expanding their strap color choices.

Scratch and ding resistance seem very, very good.

Overall comfort on my 6.75" wrist for either setup is great, aided by very good wrist balance.

Overall I'm blown away for the 'reasonable' asking price. Mike Margolis is a great guy, so those of us on this side of the pond have a sold rep

Durability is hard to know after just a week or so, yet have been doing progressively more active things such as ~20 mile bicycle rides, diving in the pool, etc.

As always at the early days, in general, I double-check the assembly/screws. So far so good, though as mentioned previously I do suggest using a SMALL amount of Loctite blue on the screws you remove the reinstall (use a toothpick tip to apply a tiny bit).

Complaints? Yeah the single contact point of the quick-change bracelet means there's side motion (and up/down around the axis too). Maybe add a small 'finger' on both underside outer bits, so TWO fingers (not one as shown in purple on below pic) to eliminate side / up / down motion. Hold on, lemme go to my office DAW / desk and Pshop up what I mean.... Brb....

For those who have changed the 1990's Rolex DJ36 on Jubilee, you know about the added end bit.

FIRST want to say I'm being VERY 'retentive' with this suggestion as the assembly is fine. Yet to add a bit of solidity to eliminate wobble add in 'side fingers' (purple section in pic below, note that both sides would have a 'finger' and not just one as shown).

Buuut, on the other hand, a bit of side give and take adds comfort as our wrists are not the same thickness from one side of the bracelet to the other. That's why the tight-bracelet Octo FS causes one side of my wrist to have a bit of skin indent after wearing it while the other side of my wrist is fine. My dad's daily beater for decades 1971 OMEGA Dynamic bracelet has lots and lots of bracelet stretch, yet that stretch also makes it fit very comfortably (we share the same wrist type).

So choose your 'poison' folks, a super-duper tight bracelet that might dig in a tiny bit on the elbow side of your wrist versus your hand side, or a bit of 'side wobble' slack so the bracelet / strap fits more comfortably overall (at least on my wrist, ymmv). Again, this is me being one of those "an_l retentive" types.

Attachment 1291020

Very interested to see your impressions. I would favor a tighter fit with less play about the connection. Perhaps the design will be tweaked somewhat before my July '23 build date.

I believe Mike mentioned somewhere above or perhaps in Instagram comments that the bracelet would be changing from pins to screws, so maybe other small changes will be forthcoming as well.
jaygrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 03:32 AM   #1592
BrunoMalik
Banned

My dial is finally ready. Incoming in cca 1 month. Cant wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 05:09 AM   #1593
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow!!! Congrats!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 05:30 AM   #1594
hankae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post

My dial is finally ready. Incoming in cca 1 month. Cant wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Amazing dial!! Congrats
hankae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 03:35 AM   #1595
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A day in the life of a Czapek Monochrome White...

First you need to do some tourist shopping to remember this fun-filled time @ the beach.

Monochrome_Beach_cups.jpg

Monochrome_Beach_shotglasses.jpg

Being there...

Monochrome_Beach_45_ocean_black.jpg

Monochrome_Beach_45_degree.jpg

Arm-angled, yet you can still read the time.

Monochrome_Beach_85_degree.jpg

Monochrome_Beach_Towels.jpg

Time for a dip in the ocean :)

Monochrome_Beach_wave_tenth.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 16 May 2022, 10:07 PM   #1596
ckmcknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrow View Post
Very interested to see your impressions. I would favor a tighter fit with less play about the connection. Perhaps the design will be tweaked somewhat before my July '23 build date.

I believe Mike mentioned somewhere above or perhaps in Instagram comments that the bracelet would be changing from pins to screws, so maybe other small changes will be forthcoming as well.
It's awesome that Czapek keeps making updates to their existing models in response to feedback. I wonder if the switch from pins to screws will be available to existing owners as other revisions were.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
ckmcknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 12:05 AM   #1597
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmcknight View Post
It's awesome that Czapek keeps making updates to their existing models in response to feedback. I wonder if the switch from pins to screws will be available to existing owners as other revisions were.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Generally updates have been provided to existing owners at cost which seems eminently fair.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:03 AM   #1598
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As for accuracy, here's the Czapek Monochrome White on the Timegrapher today. Good healthy hairspring and the beat is off by 0.1ms. i think most would consider this excellent accuracy.

Just sayin'

Czapek_Monochrome_White.jpg

Old 19 May 2022, 06:41 AM   #1599
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Impressive accuracy.

Does anyone know if any Glacier Blue pieces have been delivered to customers yet? I think Mike mentioned that there hadn't been any yet a couple of weeks ago, but I wonder if that has changed.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:18 PM   #1600
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
Impressive accuracy.

Does anyone know if any Glacier Blue pieces have been delivered to customers yet? I think Mike mentioned that there hadn't been any yet a couple of weeks ago, but I wonder if that has changed.
None yet.... at least not for North America.

No salmons yet either.
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:28 PM   #1601
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934

Hanging with a few new friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 08:42 PM   #1602
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

It's not inferior in comparison to the usual contenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post

Hanging with a few new friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 02:44 AM   #1603
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

I notice Mr. AP and Mr. Rolex don't know how to set the time on their watches.

I bet $5 this was taken at Topper.
Old 20 May 2022, 03:37 AM   #1604
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
I notice Mr. AP and Mr. Rolex don't know how to set the time on their watches.

I bet $5 this was taken at Topper.
Mike you got a keen eye, I didn't even notice the time on Mr. AP.

Very close on the guess, Topper is just across the bay on the Peninsula. This was a part of our TRF GTG in San Ramon at a competitor boutique.

I thought I'd be the only Czapek representation but lo and behold the Antarctique showed up. Beautiful reference, wears very comfortably, more so than my Vacheron Dual Time. I didn't mind the play on the bracelet, but if it is upgrade to screws for 2023 that would be phenomenal.
Old 20 May 2022, 04:45 AM   #1605
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Very close on the guess, Topper is just across the bay on the Peninsula. This was a part of our TRF GTG in San Ramon at a competitor boutique.
OK, I owe you $5 next time I'm out there visiting my son in Concord.

Best,

M
Old 20 May 2022, 05:39 AM   #1606
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

Wanted to share that Pierre at the Czapek boutique is very friendly and such a helpful enthusiast for this brand! Got to visit the Geneva boutique and am looking forward to receiving my piece soon.
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 01:08 PM   #1607
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
OK, I owe you $5 next time I'm out there visiting my son in Concord.

Best,

M
Done deal, but lets substitute the $5 for 5 minutes of talking watches at Toppers. (I'd assume you'd be making the rounds with the local AD).

Old 21 May 2022, 02:59 AM   #1608
mgolodetz@icloud.com
"TRF" Member

Please ignore. Problem with quote
mgolodetz@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 03:33 AM   #1609
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Done deal, but let's substitute the $5 for 5 minutes of talking watches at Toppers. (I'd assume you'd be making the rounds with the local AD).

Deal, but I'll take you to that bakery up the street and buy you a brownie too. And one for me, of course.
Old 21 May 2022, 06:53 AM   #1610
gusmac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurcollector View Post
Wanted to share that Pierre at the Czapek boutique is very friendly and such a helpful enthusiast for this brand! Got to visit the Geneva boutique and am looking forward to receiving my piece soon.
absolutely agree. Pierre is a great representative. I visited the boutique after Watches and Wonders and he kindly showed me a number of historic pocket watches.
gusmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 05:31 AM   #1611
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Three Week Update: Will fully admit my shortcoming as I never described the sound. But first, I've 'torture tested' this timepiece and she is rock solid. I've really come to appreciate the case and crown details too.

As for the sound, when hand-winding the crown clockwise slowly-ish makes a nice slightly deep solid clicking sound at ~500Hz and short resonance-ish, reminiscent of a medium-beefy vintage timepiece. If you turn the crown counter-clockwise you can get a lower 'note' with 'muted' resonance.

Now don't try this at home, but the musical notes are 'complimentary', if you're so inclined to play 'The Czapek Winding Crown Song'. I heard that Dre and Ye might co-produce the song with special guest A$AP.

That's two clicks clockwise, one anti, then a triplet clockwise, then one anti, then two at half-speed clockwise, pause, double anti with slight time drag... repeat. You know you got it right when the song 'bounces'.

Anyway....

Winding clockwise at Normal speed you can hear the metal bits doing their thing. There's a nice solid winding feel that's not overly resistant.

As viewed from the back, the rotor winds clockwise and 'fidget-spinners' with sound counter-clockwise.

Know I mentioned this previously, yet when setting the time there's no real slack or 'mechanical slop'. You know how some timepieces, when setting the time, the minute hand tends to overshoot, or 'push backward' once you release the drown. The Czapek is solid and neutral, neither pushing nor pulling the minute hand (without you wanting it to, hope that makes sense).

Still in love, and waiting on a few more straps to arrive. Once the straps arrive will take pics :)

Old 25 May 2022, 10:56 AM   #1612
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Now that you mention absence of slack … and what about seconds hand? Any mechanical slop or slack of it in particular while shifting from clockwise to anticlockwise time setting?

Quote:

Know I mentioned this previously, yet when setting the time there's no real slack or 'mechanical slop'. You know how some timepieces, when setting the time, the minute hand tends to overshoot, or 'push backward' once you release the drown. The Czapek is solid and neutral, neither pushing nor pulling the minute hand (without you wanting it to, hope that makes sense).
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 11:52 AM   #1613
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It hacks, no movement while setting time (or date wheel when not hacked of course).

I think while pulling the crown all the way out of the ~20 times I did notice a bit of seconds hand movement once or so. Accuracy has been rock solid, well regulated too.

Old 25 May 2022, 12:17 PM   #1614
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Ok. Good that it hacks properly and lays firm when setting time! Just wondering whether, when hacked, it shows a little initial “jump” in case of switching the crown rotation (clock/anti clockwise) when setting time (eg: seconds hand hacked firm at 30, that “jumps” to, say, 27 when switching crown rotation to anticlockwise, and then “jumps back” to 30 when returning to clockwise crown rotation).

Quote:
It hacks, no movement while setting time (or date wheel when not hacked of course).

I think while pulling the crown all the way out of the ~20 times I did notice a bit of seconds hand movement once or so. Accuracy has been rock solid, well regulated too.
Old 25 May 2022, 10:05 PM   #1615
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, want to be sure i'm typing what my brain intends / means.

During the action/physical moment-of-moment of pulling out the crown to the second position (time changing), rarely yet sometimes the seconds hand 'jumps' until the hacking mechanism engages. Once hacking is engaged via the crown all the way out / position two, there is no movement of the seconds hand no matter how much you turn the crown either way to move the minute hand / change time.

Once hacked (crown's second position all the way out), the minute hand has no slack or unintended 'push-pull' when you release pressure on the crown during time changing. In other words, the minute hand does not 'overshoot' nor 'pushes back' and thus changes the setting of time you intended.

Hope that all makes sense and clarifies things. Pretty please keep in mind i'm kinda acting as a 'beta tester' of sorts. Over the past few weeks have been putting her through idiot-proofing / testing.

(Said in good humor) Of course there's always a 'better idiot' out there.

Color me very impressed, and most important of all, very happy.

Old 25 May 2022, 11:32 PM   #1616
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot! You have been very clear and precise. It seems that, apart from the jump of seconds hand that, only sometimes, may occur while pulling out the crown to the second position, in general the hacking seconds and the time settings works perfectly and without slack.

By the way, curious to know why you refer to the Monochrome with “her” … in my mind the Antarctique is a “him”. Don’t want to make a genders discussion … just curiosity :-)

Quote:
Ok, want to be sure i'm typing what my brain intends / means.

During the action/physical moment-of-moment of pulling out the crown to the second position (time changing), rarely yet sometimes the seconds hand 'jumps' until the hacking mechanism engages. Once hacking is engaged via the crown all the way out / position two, there is no movement of the seconds hand no matter how much you turn the crown either way to move the minute hand / change time.

Once hacked (crown's second position all the way out), the minute hand has no slack or unintended 'push-pull' when you release pressure on the crown during time changing. In other words, the minute hand does not 'overshoot' nor 'pushes back' and thus changes the setting of time you intended.

Hope that all makes sense and clarifies things. Pretty please keep in mind i'm kinda acting as a 'beta tester' of sorts. Over the past few weeks have been putting her through idiot-proofing / testing.

(Said in good humor) Of course there's always a 'better idiot' out there.

Color me very impressed, and most important of all, very happy.
Old 26 May 2022, 03:05 AM   #1617
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Since I'm feeling a bit creative right now, ok, I'm game.

(imho) Because upon first gaze the Monochrome White is elegant, understated, fun to be with, a joy to touch, and she purrrrs... yet 'under the surface' she's a wild thing, with a flair for that special 'secret enticement' only you know about.

Hmmm, re-reading that it sounds like my Muse. What was the question again?

I need a smoke after this post

Old 26 May 2022, 04:17 AM   #1618
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

My experience differs from Steven's, and it actually changed a couple weeks after my initial review I posted earlier in the thread.

When I pull my crown to the first stop for date adjustments, there is no movement of the second hand as expected. When I pull it to the second stop, I get a jump. The second hand advances 1-2 seconds and the minute hand will jump forward by about a minute. There is slack when turning the crown before the minute hand will move for adjustment. When I move beyond that, the minute hand will move as expected, and the second hand will actually jump around a bit as well, but then settle back to 1-2 seconds past where it was when I initially pulled the crown.

Once I set the minute hand appropriately, when I push the crown back in, it stays exactly where I set it. So the play that occurs with the crown pulled to the second position doesn't affect accurate setting of the time, and the minute hand perfectly hits the minute marker at 0/60 seconds on the seconds hand. So in reality this bit of play in the second position doesn't matter. This is as opposed to my Rolex Explorer where the minute hand will annoyingly jump a bit once I press the crown back in.

For reference my non-hacking manual wind watches (Speedy, FPJ CS) are easier to set for the minute hand. I just start winding them in sync with a digital clock seconds hand. My Omega PO Chrono has no slack in the system and is equally easy to set, and has a hacking seconds auto movement.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 06:35 AM   #1619
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Debating selling the Fratello since I don't wear it enough..... its a beautiful watch... just feel its not getting enough wrist time.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 06:43 AM   #1620
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
My experience differs from Steven's, and it actually changed a couple weeks after my initial review I posted earlier in the thread.

When I pull my crown to the first stop for date adjustments, there is no movement of the second hand as expected. When I pull it to the second stop, I get a jump. The second hand advances 1-2 seconds and the minute hand will jump forward by about a minute. There is slack when turning the crown before the minute hand will move for adjustment. When I move beyond that, the minute hand will move as expected, and the second hand will actually jump around a bit as well, but then settle back to 1-2 seconds past where it was when I initially pulled the crown.

Once I set the minute hand appropriately, when I push the crown back in, it stays exactly where I set it. So the play that occurs with the crown pulled to the second position doesn't affect accurate setting of the time, and the minute hand perfectly hits the minute marker at 0/60 seconds on the seconds hand. So in reality this bit of play in the second position doesn't matter. This is as opposed to my Rolex Explorer where the minute hand will annoyingly jump a bit once I press the crown back in.

For reference my non-hacking manual wind watches (Speedy, FPJ CS) are easier to set for the minute hand. I just start winding them in sync with a digital clock seconds hand. My Omega PO Chrono has no slack in the system and is equally easy to set, and has a hacking seconds auto movement.

Please make sure the watch is wound up and running before you set the time. There is slack inherent in the indirect center seconds system, and that slack can cause both hands to jump. Winding the watch and then setting takes this issue away.