The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 April 2018, 10:14 PM   #1
ISSATS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 116400GV
A few SubC time setting questions

Good day. My apologies if the questions I ask are a bit silly as I am rather new to a mechanical watches and especially to the Rolex since I've had mine for a hair under the 6 monts.

Some time ago I've noticed that when I set the time on my watch some times the minute hand tends to get a bitt off-centered and I've searched and found few threads about this "issue". Apparently I just need more practice to find my own way to get it right. Some times it gets me several tries to get it right and about that I have few questions.

1. Can I harm my watches movement when I set the time using several tries? Like when I pull the crown out, set the time, push it back in and do it few times over again? I still have to do this because some times I miss the 12 position when I hack and some times the minute hand allignment is off.

2. I've noticed that few times when I push the crown "too gentle" in but still hear the click, the second hand won't start moving and I need to pull the crown back out and push it back in to start the movement. Is it normal or should I be concerned?

Thank you in advance for your help.
ISSATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

Hi ISSATS.

To answer your questions:

No you won’t damage or cause any undue wear on the movement by pulling the crown to handset position several times. The parts in the setting mechanism are designed for this purpose and will handle more use than the watch should actually encounter. Provided you have your watch serviced at the recommended intervals you’re going to be fine.

Your second point is normal, if you pull the crown out at the exact moment the balance is in its centred point it may not have enough potential energy in the hairspring to cause the balance to move on its own when you push the crown back in. A gentle shake from side to side will get it moving again, or like you have found, pull the crown out and in again.

Hope this helps.

All the best
Scott
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:32 AM   #3
ISSATS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Hi ISSATS.

To answer your questions:

No you won’t damage or cause any undue wear on the movement by pulling the crown to handset position several times. The parts in the setting mechanism are designed for this purpose and will handle more use than the watch should actually encounter. Provided you have your watch serviced at the recommended intervals you’re going to be fine.

Your second point is normal, if you pull the crown out at the exact moment the balance is in its centred point it may not have enough potential energy in the hairspring to cause the balance to move on its own when you push the crown back in. A gentle shake from side to side will get it moving again, or like you have found, pull the crown out and in again.

Hope this helps.

All the best
Scott
Dear Scott! Thank you very much for your kind input! This will give me some peace of mind.
The coin has two sides as we speak. As far the owning Rolex goes, I am trully happy to have such a wonderful piece of watchmaking and being able to call it my own. But I guess being insecure in some new and "stranger" situations comes with the price tag.
ISSATS is offline   Reply With Quote