The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 January 2019, 11:40 PM   #61
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
New York has a program where based on certain criteria a person can be subject to a driver review, which is essentially an in-depth interview and exam. I’m assuming most states do have one. Here it can be requested in one of three ways: police, doctor or concerned citizens. So although not everyone is systematically re tested they can and will review your license with cause. For LE we can complete one if we view someone driving erratically, appears disoriented, or has a physical, mental or medical disability. Doctors and citizens use different forms with different criteria. What LE can’t do is request a review based solely on age. That would be age discrimination. But if someone wants to take their parents keys away they can fill out the citizen form and see where it goes.
thats my problem which i have been saying. Its after a concern is raised so its not very proactive. Probably after some near misses or after some accidents or something. Proactive testing is needed.

Pilots i remember reading (BA specifically) surrender their pilot license or something to that effect and have to earn it back in the simulator getting requliified at every time period that is required. They dont pass the tests, they are grounded. Being on the drivers license system, they wouldn't have to do anything until they had rammed the plane into the jet bridge a time or two and someone had a concern they might not be competent. At that point you are lucky nothing more serious has happened if its that obvious.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:51 PM   #62
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

prince phillip has a crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats my problem which i have been saying. Its after a concern is raised so its not very proactive. Probably after some near misses or after some accidents or something. Proactive testing is needed.

Here in US it’s up to each state to enact laws regarding driver licensing. Therefore, not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:59 PM   #63
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Here in US it’s up to each state to enact laws regarding driver licensing. Therefore, not happening.

its like that with a lot of things. I totally get the states rights argument in principle, but its hard to get cohesive policy applied universally. For example, states use to have different drunk driving limits. Getting a DUI in one state and you are fine in another. madness. That may have changed. But some states have randomly different driving laws like right turns on red lights or left turn on red from one way to one way for example. You know that people generally dont look up the different laws and requirements before driving there.

getting a drivers license and the documentation you have to provide is also weird. Montana required two forms and you cant just use a passport which is odd as that established both citizenship and identity. They did however take a passport and a passport card which was obtained with the same documents and even have the exact same picture on them and were issued at the same time. Texas just a passport is acceptable.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 January 2019, 12:04 AM   #64
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

With very little info, it looks like the Duke failed to yield right of way to the kia. Looks like a "t" intersection. I'm betting the Duke had a stop sign and the KIA didn't. He probably pulled out and got tee boned. I don't see any traffic control devices in the pictures, so this is pure speculation on my part. Line of sight may also be a factor, if the Duke stopped at the stop sign and the Kia was speeding excessively and came over a hill, it could get dicey. Without knowing the traffic controls in place, speed, line of sight, skid marks, independent witneses ect, I'm purely speculating!!!!!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:37 AM   #65
77T

prince phillip has a crash

Quote:
its like that with a lot of things. I totally get the states rights argument in principle, but its hard to get cohesive policy applied universally. For example, states use to have different drunk driving limits. Getting a DUI in one state and you are fine in another. madness. That may have changed. But some states have randomly different driving laws like right turns on red lights or left turn on red from one way to one way for example. You know that people generally dont look up the different laws and requirements before driving there.

getting a drivers license and the documentation you have to provide is also weird. Montana required two forms and you cant just use a passport which is odd as that established both citizenship and identity. They did however take a passport and a passport card which was obtained with the same documents and even have the exact same picture on them and were issued at the same time. Texas just a passport is acceptable.

Citizenship is not a required condition here. First and foremost is residency. Next is identity. Ergo the 2 forms of documentation.

For example, 1) a utility bill with your name on it containing a service address inside that State; 2) a picture ID issued by a government entity (like the passport).

Old 20 January 2019, 12:39 AM   #66
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
With very little info, it looks like the Duke failed to yield right of way to the kia.

Or vise versa?

Old 20 January 2019, 12:43 AM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Citizenship is not a required condition here. First and foremost is residency. Next is identity. Ergo the 2 forms of documentation.

For example, 1) a utility bill with your name on it containing a service address inside that State; 2) a picture ID issued by a government entity (like the passport).

that is the catch 22 i had when moving to the UK. The bank required an address to get a bank account but you need a bank account before you can rent a property. we went round and round on that issue for weeks.

feel bad for people who dont have a drivers license at all as you need an ID a lot of times to set up a service or at least to get a property where you can establish a service but you cant get a license without it. I guess if you have a passport already thats sufficient to allow you to set up something that later can prove you live there, but most people dont have one.

i use my parents address as a mailing address for US bank statements etc for that exact reason. At least i can show some form of residence requirement if needed and on short notice. Ironic though because im not even a resident. I can piggyback their residence to establish mine. Had i not been able to do that it does make it harder, but it also shows how flawed it is as it doesnt prove anything.
Old 20 January 2019, 12:53 AM   #68
77T

My easy answer to that is PayPal and Uber

Old 20 January 2019, 12:58 AM   #69
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=77T;9275531]Or vise versa?

Looks like the RR has driver's side damage, and usually the vehicle that gets rolled is the struck vehicle, not the striking. Again I'm purely speculating with very little info!!! Sometimes you arrive at a crash scene and make a quick assessment, then once you look at the scene, and talk to witnesses, you realize your first assessment was completely incorrect.
Old 20 January 2019, 01:03 AM   #70
77T

Yes that’s my point.

Old 20 January 2019, 01:56 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha like to keep that on the down-low.
Then why do they keep opening their presents on Xmas Eve, honestly this makes me want to abolish them more than anything.

Windsor was a good choice of name, better than other suggestions such as Plantagenet, Tudor-Stewart, England and bizarrely D'Este.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:04 AM   #72
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha like to keep that on the down-low.
Battenberg was changed to mountbatten.
Old 20 January 2019, 02:07 AM   #73
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Battenberg was changed to mountbatten.
Should be the name of the Queen's House too, Philip was really angry over that emasculation.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:08 AM   #74
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Should be the name of the Queen's House too, Philip was really angry over that emasculation.
Fact..
Old 20 January 2019, 02:19 AM   #75
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

He shouldn't be driving...period. Inexcusable, others could have been seriously hurt or worse.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:27 AM   #76
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
He shouldn't be driving...period. Inexcusable, others could have been seriously hurt or worse.

So you say that because??????

Oh, I get it he is 97.

So exactly when was he supposed to stop driving? 96,95,94,93,92, or how about 67?

What if he were fully capable at 97? Should he still have stopped regardless when he reached the over the hill disposable age of 75 even if it wasn't his fault to begin with?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:35 AM   #77
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
If time and money were not a factor than that would be the ideal solution. Most DMVs are a backed up now just keeping up with current demands. Requiring everyone already qualified to re-test at a certain time interval would be a nightmare which would require increasing the size and budget of each DMV tremendously. That doesn’t even take into consideration compliance. The DMV can’t get people to renew their license or registration on time when all they have to do is return a piece of mail. Getting them to retest where they are required to actually do something time consuming would never happen.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:39 AM   #78
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Hope every one was ok
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8494E8AF-FDD7-49BA-920A-FAAA1858B0D7.jpeg (102.9 KB, 98 views)
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:55 AM   #79
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Putting the cart before the horse aren't you? Has anyone said he was at fault?

A little less age discrimination would be nice too. Some people are sharp enough to drive at that age.

The Duke doesn't get to escape the cloak of the security apparatus often, but driving gives him a bit of freedom. The same freedom that elderly drivers cling to everywhere else. Try taking cars away from the elderly in Florida and see where that lands you.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:13 AM   #80
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
So you say that because??????

Oh, I get it he is 97.

So exactly when was he supposed to stop driving? 96,95,94,93,92, or how about 67?

What if he were fully capable at 97? Should he still have stopped regardless when he reached the over the hill disposable age of 75 even if it wasn't his fault to begin with?
Alot of snowbirds also have Fla listed as their permanent address as to have a Fla license. This enables then to only have to get their license renewed 2x 3x longer than the state where they actually live 9 months out of the year (up north). Ask any motorcycle driver in Fla what their main concern is!!! Was at the BMV last march getting my CDL license renewed. An older gentleman was there with his daughter. When it came time for the vision test the man could not understand how to place his forehead against the machine. After about 10 minutes of explanation he finally attempted to read the screen, I don't think he was able to read a single letter. He finally gave up and voluntarily surrendered his license.
Old 20 January 2019, 03:25 AM   #81
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
^^^Florida AKA God’s Waiting Room. ^^^
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:59 AM   #82
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If time and money were not a factor than that would be the ideal solution. Most DMVs are a backed up now just keeping up with current demands. Requiring everyone already qualified to re-test at a certain time interval would be a nightmare which would require increasing the size and budget of each DMV tremendously. That doesn’t even take into consideration compliance. The DMV can’t get people to renew their license or registration on time when all they have to do is return a piece of mail. Getting them to retest where they are required to actually do something time consuming would never happen.
that's because driving is seen as a right. its a privilege and you should pay for that privilege. Paying a couple hundred dollars to renew every 10 years or 5 years with a test would increase staffing levels considerably.

If you cant return a piece of mail, you should automatically lose your license. If you dont return mail from your bank, there are consequences. People ignore it because they can and nothing happens, not because they are too stupid to respond.

My grandparents were too stubborn to give up their licenses until way way past when they were not fit to drive. Making the family step in to basically force the issue seems like a totally backwards way to keep the roads safe. Its like the responsibility for determining that is left up to people who are actually technically not even qualified in a professional sense to make that judgement to begin with as its totally subjective from person to person and family to family.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:16 AM   #83
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
that's because driving is seen as a right. its a privilege and you should pay for that privilege. Paying a couple hundred dollars to renew every 10 years or 5 years with a test would increase staffing levels considerably.

If you cant return a piece of mail, you should automatically lose your license. If you dont return mail from your bank, there are consequences. People ignore it because they can and nothing happens, not because they are too stupid to respond.

My grandparents were too stubborn to give up their licenses until way way past when they were not fit to drive. Making the family step in to basically force the issue seems like a totally backwards way to keep the roads safe. Its like the responsibility for determining that is left up to people who are actually technically not even qualified in a professional sense to make that judgement to begin with as its totally subjective from person to person and family to family.
Actually kind of like your idea for mandatory testing regardless of age. I see this taking a good while before it becomes law however. Too many older people actually vote.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #84
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Alot of snowbirds also have Fla listed as their permanent address as to have a Fla license. This enables then to only have to get their license renewed 2x 3x longer than the state where they actually live 9 months out of the year (up north). Ask any motorcycle driver in Fla what their main concern is!!! Was at the BMV last march getting my CDL license renewed. An older gentleman was there with his daughter. When it came time for the vision test the man could not understand how to place his forehead against the machine. After about 10 minutes of explanation he finally attempted to read the screen, I don't think he was able to read a single letter. He finally gave up and voluntarily surrendered his license.
Quote:
^^^Florida AKA God’s Waiting Room. ^^^
I was hit by an older gentleman while cycling in Naples FL just last year. He hit me at a crosswalk taking a right on red and then proceeded to carry me on the hood across the intersection before he even noticed I was there.

The hospital informed me that they get several cases just like this per day. You have to be nuts to cycle or ride a motorcycle down there. Just my opinion.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:32 AM   #85
timedate
-

Quote:
Or vise versa?

if you are coming from a minor road on to a major road, the onus is on you to check the road is clear before joining it or crossing it.........naturally.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 05:33 AM   #86
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
if you are coming from a minor road on to a major road, the onus is on you to check the road is clear before joining it or crossing it.........naturally.

I think we are all aware of the rules of the road.

Old 20 January 2019, 05:38 AM   #87
timedate
-

Quote:
I think we are all aware of the rules of the road.

you would be surprised how many dont know it or fail to execute the obvious, resulting in catastrophe on a regular basis.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #88
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Luckily nobody was seriously injured but at some point they'll have to re-evaluate having someone close to 100 years old being on the road.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:19 AM   #89
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I wonder how you"ll feel if your lucky enough to reach his age? Granted if your capabilities are such you are a danger to others that's one thing, however we don't even know for sure who was at fault as far as I know.

I certainly hope whatever age I am lucky enough to reach I'm not such that too many of my faculties, abilities and freedoms are impaired or diminished.
Nope, sorry, no one at that age should be in charge of thousands of pounds of steel hurtling down the road. His freedom does not eclipse my safety.
Old 26 January 2019, 05:16 PM   #90
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I was hit by an older gentleman while cycling in Naples FL just last year. He hit me at a crosswalk taking a right on red and then proceeded to carry me on the hood across the intersection before he even noticed I was there.

The hospital informed me that they get several cases just like this per day. You have to be nuts to cycle or ride a motorcycle down there. Just my opinion.
Oh boy that is scary. Hopefully no serious injuries?
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote