The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 January 2019, 06:21 AM   #1
GLT2760
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1988 Rolex Datejus
Model 16253 Question

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum. Glad I found it! I recently became the proud owner of a late 1980’s Datejust Yellow Rolesor. This watch was owned by my best friend and fishing buddy. He was the original owner and always maintained it meticulously. Sadly, he passed away some years ago and his wife recently took it out of her safe deposit box to gift to me.
My question has to do with the model number. As far as I can tell from my online research, the model number 16253, which is engraved on the case, between the lugs, is reserved specifically for the Turn-O-Graph model. This watch has always had the fixed, fluted bezel. Not the Thunderbird style, rotating bezel. There is no question on the pedigree of the watch. I have the paperwork from when it was sent to Rolex in 1997 for routine servicing, as well as a Certificate of Appraisal from a reputable Jewellery Appraisal company that was completed in 2015.
Can anyone shed any light on this model number confusion. Thanks!
GLT2760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The "Certificate of Appraisal" is not really a valid document for much as far as originality is concerned.

It's possible that your friend had the fluted bezel installed at purchase. Back then Dealers were much more accommodating.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:32 AM   #3
GLT2760
"TRF" Member

I would have thought that Rolex would have replaced the original bezel? The watch also has the champagne dial that was supplied with the Turn-O-Graphs. I thought that Rolex would only have wanted to return the watch, after servicing, in the original condition. If that were the case, and the watch had been manufactured with a TOG bezel, they would have wanted to put the proper one on?
Interestingly, the dial is the Turn-O-Graph style as well. No Roman numerals on the outer edge. It does, however, say Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust on it. Not Turn-O-Graph. It also has a gold minute hand, not the red TOG one.
I was hoping someone might be able to say whether Rolex had produced any other Datejusts like this?
Old 22 January 2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex does not always change a watch back to original unless it has aftermarket parts on it; even then, you have to agree and pay for those aftermarket parts to be replaced.

In the 70's it was popular to change a SS model to a TT at the Dealer since it was cheaper than buying a new watch. Bezels are occasionally lost and replaced with a different style.

If you ask the RSC to change your watch to something it is not, they will likely decline. In this case, if you asked to have the bezel replaced with an original TOG they would likely oblige.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:54 AM   #5
GLT2760
"TRF" Member

Thank you.