The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 January 2019, 03:30 AM   #31
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

Good discussion, thank you all for your inputs thus far.
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 03:42 AM   #32
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Suddenly, everyone has a doctorate in engineering and chemistry and knows more about what should be used on a watch than a multi billion dollar company with all it's resources.

Hahaha

When someone finds out I’m vegetarian, suddenly everybody is a nutritionist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 06:09 AM   #33
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Hahahaha. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. In my honest opinion, using ceramic is one of the best theings that happened to watches in recent times. But of course, you can’t please everyone.
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 06:49 AM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well this is a new one, someone is now saying having a ceramic, scratch-resistant bezel makes it less of a tool watch than a shiny, metal, slice it up as you like bezel! I can understand if you don't like the look of it but the function of it is far superior to the SS and which is why Rolex have upgraded the Daytona and many other lines. As for the bezel cracking there have been so few reported issues here in my time as for it to be a total non issue.

x1,000,000,000!!!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 07:02 AM   #35
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post

Yes, It "can" happen, but rarely. And the post you link is over 3 years old which only proves that it does not happen often.

I have twice (by accident) hit my watch wearing a ceramic bezel so hard that I just knew there had to be damage and both times came out without a scratch. One of those two times I hit my watch so hard that it left a huge mark where the crown dug into my wrist leaving a big sore.

On the Daytona, for me not only does the ceramic bezel make it more wearable without showing scratches, it also looks better.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 10:15 PM   #36
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseattle View Post
Yes, It "can" happen, but rarely. And the post you link is over 3 years old which only proves that it does not happen often.

I have twice (by accident) hit my watch wearing a ceramic bezel so hard that I just knew there had to be damage and both times came out without a scratch. One of those two times I hit my watch so hard that it left a huge mark where the crown dug into my wrist leaving a big sore.

On the Daytona, for me not only does the ceramic bezel make it more wearable without showing scratches, it also looks better.

Mark
That's some valuable experience. Thanks for sharing.
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:46 AM   #37
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

My wife has a Chanel J12 watch with ceramic bezel, ceramic bracelet & ceramic case.

Was worn all the time for a period of about 10 years whilst bringing up kids, doing the jobs associated with that. Watch got scraped, bashed, thrown and dropped - it was abused. When she stopped wearing it a few years ago, it still looked like new.

I can't imagine that Rolex ceramic is worse than Chanel ceramic.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:50 AM   #38
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I have never had an issue with any of my ceramic Daytonas, You'll be fine!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 04:21 AM   #39
Zen77
"TRF" Member

u will not make ur daytona kiss something hard 100%......believe me for this one
Zen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:23 AM   #40
Dahl
"TRF" Member

I have been wearing a ceramic Daytona as my daily for more than two years. Bezel and crystal still looks brand new... pcl’s have a nice patina though (looks great!).
Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:35 AM   #41
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well this is a new one, someone is now saying having a ceramic, scratch-resistant bezel makes it less of a tool watch than a shiny, metal, slice it up as you like bezel! I can understand if you don't like the look of it but the function of it is far superior to the SS and which is why Rolex have upgraded the Daytona and many other lines. As for the bezel cracking there have been so few reported issues here in my time as for it to be a total non issue.
No less capable as a tool watch other than having to pay for the watch itself. It used to be that about anyone could and would afford a Rolex tool watch. Now it takes a special breed. The new watches are jewelry and not tool watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:29 PM   #42
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I wore my platinum Daytona in many conditions, including lifting weights, etc. I'm not a worry wart so I never babied it, and there was not a scratch on the bezel although there were many scratches on the bracelet. I did not care, as watches are made to be worn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBalance View Post
Interesting points, thanks. I’m a desk driver so to your point, more so on the form side of usage.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:29 AM   #43
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I agree the likelihood of damaging the ceramic bezel through daily wear is next to none.

I have a Steinhart Ocean as a beater watch. It has a ceramic bezel.

As far as beater goes that thing has really taken some serious beating. Twice it got dropped on the pavement when I wore it biking; once when I was racing down the road and the other time when I was taking a break by the side of the road. By now the watch case has a few serious gouges from the road rash; the bezel and crystal, on the other hand, are completely intact.

I am willing to bet the Rolex ceramic would be even stronger than that of a cheaper brand.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #44
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Ceramics are durable and better looking.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:34 AM   #45
KVNNSCHNG
"TRF" Member

Hulk Ceramic Bezel Scratch

Unfortunately over the Holidays my Hulk took a knock on the side of a metal bar chair and I chipped the crystal and put two (2) scratches on the ceramic bezel:

You can definitely scratch these ceramic bezels (and before you ask... yes they are scratches, yes I have tried taking a pencil eraser to remove them, yes I have washed the watch with soap and water, etc.).

When RSC re-opens on Jan-07 I will be sending the watch in for a new crystal and potentially a new bezel (I have seen estimates between $300ish - $800ish quoted for a ceramic bezel replacement here on TRF). My OCD simply won't allow me to stop looking at the scratches on the ceramic bezel.
Old 4 January 2019, 02:45 AM   #46
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

If anything, the ceramic bezel will likely show much less wear than the rest of the watch.
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:00 AM   #47
josephvman
Banned

Perfectly durable until it isn’t!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:35 AM   #48
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

My experience has been that the ceramic is much more durable than the aluminum, so I’ll take ceramic any day for tool purposes over aluminum. If it gets damaged, it can be replaced. Will it cost more? Sure, but fixing a Porsche costs more than fixing a bmw .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:25 AM   #49
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
Perfectly durable until it isn’t!
^For the win!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:10 AM   #50
Zen77
"TRF" Member

u will not make a contact with hard surface once ur 116500 in ur hand believe me.
Audemars Piguet Diver 15710ST
Audemars Piguet 26170ST "Panda"
Zen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:18 AM   #51
Foxglove
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
FWIW - My 116610LN's bezel, which is ceramic of course, has a pretty good sized scratch on it. I think it was perhaps from the bottom of a pool (scraping against it) or from an unknown source, but clearly visible. It scraped it, but didn't crack it.

Just my first hand experience.

I was surprised it scratched, but happy it didn't crack. I'll eventually replace it after a few more scratches.
Foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 05:02 AM   #52
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The ceramic bezel on my SD43 has banged into underwater rocks many times. No damage.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 05:08 AM   #53
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBalance View Post
I’ve been seriously considering the Daytona 116500LN. One concern I do have is that there is no SS outer bezel to protect the side and corner of the bezel. Based on what I’ve read, according to Rolex, the ceramic bezel is purportedly “extremely durable”. My question is will the top corner of the bezel nick if it comes into contact with a hard surface. I know, any thing will nick if hit hard enough so just don’t hit it on anything but, it happens sometimes. Love to hear from those that have experience with a ceramic bezel like this, how it holds up over time. Thanks in advance for your responses.
I've heard more case of metal bezel been replaced than ceramic ones. And of ceramic ones I've heard more cases of gmt/sub ones popping out than any cracking/nicking or those of the ceramic Daytona.
In other words they are extremely durable and Rolex ceramic bezel shattering is mostly academic rather than reality in real life.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:45 AM   #54
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNNSCHNG View Post
Unfortunately over the Holidays my Hulk took a knock on the side of a metal bar chair and I chipped the crystal and put two (2) scratches on the ceramic bezel:

You can definitely scratch these ceramic bezels (and before you ask... yes they are scratches.

I wonder what an aluminum insert would look like after this event.... or a steel Daytona bezel. Although it did scratch, my guess is it could be much worse.

On more than one occasion I have had a metal seatbelt come into contact or shall I say, bounce off of my bezel “clink” resulting in no damage. It made me cringe and I’m careful to not repeat, but I know the ceramic saved the day.

I am more careful wearing the five digit Daytona than the 6 digits due to the ceramic bezel. Put them on an Everest and it’s a great daily driver. ⌚️
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:58 AM   #55
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Banged the side of my D500 pretty hard hitting both the ceramic bezel and the casing. Barely any marks on the bezel, the same can't be said with the casing.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:59 AM   #56
csmoore23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Wow. I’m surprised to here there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
csmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:01 PM   #57
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
The ceramic bezel is probably a whole lot sturdier than an outer steel bezel, so having an outer steel bezel to "protect" the ceramic seems questionable.

At the end of the day it is just a watch and anything you break can easily be replaced. In the extremely unlikely event that it breaks, then you can just get a new one. Don't worry.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:18 PM   #58
Kamen
"TRF" Member

I think if legitimately you’re worried about the ceramic bezel of a daytona cracking you probably shouldn’t be wearing one in the high risk setting you imagine. Perhaps just wear it when you know the risk of an accidental occurrence would be low. I don’t view my pieces as tools so these are practically non issues for myself. If I was going to really beat it around I would get something much cheaper and less worrisome.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:01 PM   #59
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmoore23 View Post
Wow. I’m surprised to here there

What?
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:12 PM   #60
arcentaur
"TRF" Member