The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: 5170P or Dato Up/down?
5170P 62 54.87%
Dato Up/down used 46 40.71%
Other? 5 4.42%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 January 2019, 04:57 AM   #31
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Id choose the platinum dato. The blue dial on the 5170P irritates me. Not the diamonds. Ii do however love the 5170G white/ dial with tachometer

I dont understand the decision to buy the used dato when you are looking st a new 5170P tho. Surely you cna get a discount on the dato new on platinum or gold.
Well there isn’t many used 5170p around so only option is new. I’d never buy a new Dato for obvious reasons. Value retention is a major factor in the decision process and buying it used would result in a minimal loss if I ever decide to move it.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:58 AM   #32
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Neither. Get a 5070
I’m in the market for a platinum watch - white gold doesn’t do it for me. And the 5070p is way out of my league - and not even sure it’s worth its asking price.
Old 20 January 2019, 04:59 AM   #33
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom007 View Post
Neither, I would wait to see what Baselword brings... Probably we will see a new chrono as successor for the 5170.
Only thing is that I’m getting a good deal on the 5170p (I think). If the rumors are true and it’s indeed discontinued, it should in theory hold its value, but that’s not gauarnateed.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:02 AM   #34
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belk7 View Post
Dato guy here, even though I really like the Patek - think it’s beautiful and the diamond markers don’t put me off one bit. But the Dato is just perfect for my taste and the thickness has never bothered me (I have the Up/Down). Value retention is its real weakness and service is pricy, but if you buy it right those factors are minimized.

You have two fantastic end-game chrono selections, and most of this comes down to what you’ll love to wear and look at best. In a vote, my heart is firmly with the Dato.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I’ll be safe to some extent if I buy a mint one. I only buy watches that hold value as I get bored relatively quickly.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:05 AM   #35
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I own both, so I’ll give you my take. Movement wise, I prefer the dato given the viewing depth and overall architecture. Not that the 5170p has a lousy movement...it’s gorgeous, but I’d give the edge to the dato. As for the dial, I like the contrasting subs on the dato, and I like how dynamic the blue is on the Patek...I guess it’s a push. As for the case, Patek is the hands down winner...the 5170p is just so much more comfortable and wearable, especially for more formal settings. If forced to choose, I’d say the 5170p, but both are worthy pieces in any collection.

As for the 5070...those are amazing as well. I have a 5070g, I probably like it the best of the three.
Thanks for the insight. Well if you put the movements next to each other, it’s a night a day difference quite honestly. The Dato has an amazing movement. Best I’ve ever seen.

My attire is smart casual, and very rarely wear suites. Sports jacket is as far as it goes so I believe the Dato would fit in nicely.

Downside is it’s a used watch. I prefer to buy new but cannot tell how low I can find one for. Maybe you could shed some light here? I tried boutiques but they’d only go down 10%.

I managed to get almost 15% off of the 5170P
Old 20 January 2019, 05:05 AM   #36
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’m a little shocked at these results tbh. I’ll go 5170p, as I find pp much more wearable on the wrist. I know above disagrees but I’ve owned several of each. The thickness is deal killler for me. Also, have you guys seen this dial? It’s off the charts. Talking my own book, I know, I know

I also got a one off black dial

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gorgeous
Old 20 January 2019, 05:12 AM   #37
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I own both, so I’ll give you my take. Movement wise, I prefer the dato given the viewing depth and overall architecture. Not that the 5170p has a lousy movement...it’s gorgeous, but I’d give the edge to the dato. As for the dial, I like the contrasting subs on the dato, and I like how dynamic the blue is on the Patek...I guess it’s a push. As for the case, Patek is the hands down winner...the 5170p is just so much more comfortable and wearable, especially for more formal settings. If forced to choose, I’d say the 5170p, but both are worthy pieces in any collection.

As for the 5070...those are amazing as well. I have a 5070g, I probably like it the best of the three.
I agree with this for sure after considering both and landed the 5170p. I honestly like the dial in the 5170p better as well though. The wear size on the Patek was a huge factor... Just perfect for my small wrist. But the Datograph looks looks amazing from the back.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 05:38 AM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
5170P

I place a high value on comfort.

I prefer a manual chrono to be without a date or any other complication.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a brand whore.

I’ll admit long term value retention is something I factor in.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:48 AM   #39
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
5170P

This...^^^.....

I agree with my friend here.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 05:51 AM   #40
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
5170P

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:20 AM   #41
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I own the Datograph up/down and love it. I also own several Pateks. The 5170P is nice but I do not like the baguettes on the 5170. I like PR indicators and the large date on the Datograph is really nice. The caseback on the datograph is unbeatable.

My 2c.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:47 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Imagine if they could get that blue dial on the Dato...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:51 AM   #43
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Both certainly great watches in different ways, but the Dato is the most exceptional watch of the two. Also the Dato has a more powerful wrist presence of the two, which will fit your smart casual dress code better.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:30 PM   #44
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If the 5170P didn't have the diamond markers and was significantly less expensive than the Datograph, I might consider it. As they are now, however, the Datograph is the obvious choice from my point of view. One could argue that the Patek sits better on the wrist, has the more recognizable name, and stronger resale (although it comes at a much higher price too and at much less of a discount, so those factors have to be considered), but when you turn them over, the Datograph wins every time.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:22 PM   #45
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Dato is a great watch. Definitely worth owning at some point in ones collecting career. Built like an absolute monster. Profoundly overeingineered, literally the best Germany has to offer. But in all brutal honesty not one worth paying even close to retail for, or keeping in lieu of something else like a 5170 or whatever else in that price range. Do what I did, but it enjoy it then get your haircut when you move it along. I had that haircut twice. Worth it.
Old 21 January 2019, 07:29 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Dato is a great watch. Definitely worth owning at some point in ones collecting career. Built like an absolute monster. Profoundly overeingineered, literally the best Germany has to offer. But in all brutal honesty not one worth paying even close to retail for, or keeping in lieu of something else like a 5170 or whatever else in that price range. Do what I did, but it enjoy it then get your haircut when you move it along. I had that haircut twice. Worth it.
i sort of agree. Its the resale concern obviously. However i absolutely think its worth the retail price especially so vs comparable Patek's in similar price ranges. Its just a pity it doesnt retain that value.

Paying retail for a 5170P vs a Dato on a watch you will never ever sell and there is a lot of value in the ALS. It would cost 50% more if it was a Patek watch probably.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:28 AM   #47
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Great deals to be had on pre-owned Datos, though. I'd say they won't go much lower.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote