The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 25 August 2008, 03:46 AM   #31
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor View Post
You claim to be from the United States. Yet, you do not speak proper English!
What the hell's that supposed to mean, buddy? Vanessa is a very long standing member of TRF and very respected too, I might add.

Where the heck do you get off with a remark like that? There are a lot of people on this forum to whom English is only a second lanaguage; yet they make a concentrated effort to post and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere that prevails here.

You might want to rethink what you post and what you say.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 August 2008, 03:47 AM   #32
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Crikey!!

Old 25 August 2008, 04:29 AM   #33
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Vanessa, when you say holes do you mean indentations. I just want to clarify that the links are not hollow. I would hate to start that whole debate again. Or maybe I'm unknowingly instigating it. Great post btw.
Old 25 August 2008, 05:02 AM   #34
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztimelord View Post
Cardinal Rule - If you can't afford to get it serviced don't buy the watch, or in my case less watches
Good advice if you are buying a new watch. But sometimes the price for service escalates way beyond what you might have thought. The Rolex I purchased from an AD in 1971 cost about $200. Yes, there has been a general increase in prices since then, but I think the cost of Rolexes and the service costs have risen more than the general rate of inflation.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Old 25 August 2008, 06:01 AM   #35
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Hi Vanessa. I'm rolex trained in the art of refinishing and I know what you mean. I tend to fix a lot of people's mistakes. But it is important to know that RSC is not the only option. There are independents, like myself, who do know what they are doing and are aware of what these watches are worth. I think what's important is, to do your research before leaving your watch with someone. To me RSC is not the almighty. I've repaired their mistakes too. So yes watchout!

Now regarding the worn down Prez:Tell your client that those holes can be filled and reshaped with solid gold. All is not lost. Yes this is terrible but I've seen worse. That's my professional opinion on his watch.
Old 25 August 2008, 06:05 AM   #36
rmcarlton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
What the hell's that supposed to mean, buddy? Vanessa is a very long standing member of TRF and very respected too, I might add.

Where the heck do you get off with a remark like that? There are a lot of people on this forum to whom English is only a second lanaguage; yet they make a concentrated effort to post and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere that prevails here.

JJ
Here here.
Old 25 August 2008, 03:34 PM   #37
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

"You're welcome" to everybody that thanked me!
And thank you all for the great compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbellevue View Post
Hey Vanessa, hope you and the Camry's doing fine.
We're doing great! We already spent over 18,000 miles together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Vanessa, doesn't Rolex provide authorised watchmakers with a diagram of how to polish/brush the various models?
We do receive training on polishing, yes! They want us to do it their way, and their way only! Which makes sense of course!

Quote:
I live in the USA, yet I'm not born here. English is my 4th language, so I apologize if it's not up to your standards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
P.S. Any opportunities to do more measurements on caseback thickness?
Haven't had anything different in yet. I also kinda forgot Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Vanessa, when you say holes do you mean indentations. I just want to clarify that the links are not hollow. I would hate to start that whole debate again. Or maybe I'm unknowingly instigating it. Great post btw.
No, I did mean "holes" since those older style president bracelets ARE hollow.
They don't "look" hollow from the side like the jubilee's, but they are hollow in the middle. The newer style (since around the year 2000) are solid through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Hi Vanessa. I'm rolex trained in the art of refinishing and I know what you mean. I tend to fix a lot of people's mistakes. But it is important to know that RSC is not the only option. There are independents, like myself, who do know what they are doing and are aware of what these watches are worth. I think what's important is, to do your research before leaving your watch with someone. To me RSC is not the almighty. I've repaired their mistakes too. So yes watchout!
I don't work for RSC either, so I agree with you that there are really good independents out there (I'm one of them). I'm just warning people to check references, or to call Rolex when in doubt.
I've read great things about you, and I would love to receive your information via pm, so I can send potential clients to you!

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Old 25 August 2008, 04:43 PM   #38
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
everyone,I am sure taylor did not mean any disrespect-most likely it came off wrong.I have had several conversations with him and he has always been very respectful and polite.so please reserve judgment until he responds please.
thanks,
steve
p.s. very good post venessa-I always love reading what you have to say-is there a picture to go with that lovely prose?
Old 25 August 2008, 07:54 PM   #39
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Interesting, you buy cheap, you pay DEAR.
Old 25 August 2008, 07:55 PM   #40
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Excellent post as always Vanessa. Thank you You're a great person and a huge asset here
Old 25 August 2008, 08:50 PM   #41
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Fantastic post, Vanessa--thanks for the info.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 25 August 2008, 09:02 PM   #42
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

There is always someone willing to charge less for a service, to be cheaper or less expensive that their competition. In the end you end up disapointed and having to spend a greater amount to have it done properly by the proper people. No one ever regretted buying quality and service. Fortunately for me i can send my Rolex directly to RSc and get cost as being a jewellry store, others are not that fortunate. While there are some AD where I am and some darn good ones, I cannot help but send my watch to Rolex itself. call it being anal if you wish, but they built it, they have every conceivable tool available to them. Until four year ago, there was a Polish gentleman at Rolex who was one of their top watchmakers. I would send it to him directly, and it always came back top drawer work. In return I would show him where my favourite Muskie hole was so we could fish together. Good deal I thought
Old 25 August 2008, 09:34 PM   #43
gmt master x

Watch: 70 s gmt master.
Thanks V...
Old 25 August 2008, 11:49 PM   #44
1MAC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
So, about how much 18k gold did this guy manage to steal by polishing that watch so aggressively?

Old 26 August 2008, 01:13 AM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post

Now regarding the worn down Prez:Tell your client that those holes can be filled and reshaped with solid gold. All is not lost. Yes this is terrible but I've seen worse. That's my professional opinion on his watch.
Could not agree more but when you find a good watchmaker finisher, treat him/her like your best mate.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 26 August 2008, 03:29 AM   #46
Brcmpbl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I can't understand why anyone would drop several thousand for a watch and then cheap out on having the thing serviced. It is a ridiculous thing to do, regardless of whether or not RSC prices are inflated or not.
Old 26 August 2008, 03:58 AM   #47
CVerKuilen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Chrono
I cannot disagree with any of you who decide to send to RSC for service. I am a watchmaker myself, and when (not if) I purchase my Sub it will only go to Rolex for service. The only reason I say this is because of the quality of refinishing on the flat surfaces on the sides of the case. Those of you who have had a professional series watch serviced by anyone, were the sides as flat as a brand new?

However, there are AD's out there that have well-trained, honest watchmakers. Look for someone with a WOSTEP certification if possible, the next best is the CW21 from AWCI. And as always, be sure they have been trained by Rolex on caliber specifics and refinishing.
Old 26 August 2008, 04:04 AM   #48
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
That is painful. I did the same thing with car repair last year. I paid a neighborhood guy to replace the differential input shaft seal, and he overtightened things which forced a rear-end overhaul with new ring/pinion/joint 5 miles later...
Old 26 August 2008, 04:45 AM   #49
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
May I humbly ask, and with due respect, what is your definition of "Proper English?"

And, perhaps, you should be reminded that the United States is a county of many people and cultures. And, not all people living in the U.S. are excellent users of your "Proper English."

Awaiting your explanation of "Proper English," please?

Cheers.

Quote:
Old 26 August 2008, 05:20 AM   #50
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Thanks Vanessa, what a shame for that poor fellow!

My Trusty TT DJ
Old 4 December 2009, 03:18 PM   #51
Dazza

Watch: oyster dj 1601
comment on proper English
the Americans never use it nor do 3/4 of the English
so no one really has the right to comment unless they use it themselves 100% of the time

mu thoughts are that this guy is making a mint out of ripping gold off people's watches surley in the US you have to have public liability insurance and a duty of care ... the 'repairer' should be held accountable to bringing the watch back to original condition
new case new strap
Old 4 December 2009, 03:35 PM   #52
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
comment on proper English
the Americans never use it nor do 3/4 of the English
so no one really has the right to comment unless they use it themselves 100% of the time

mu thoughts are that this guy is making a mint out of ripping gold off people's watches surley in the US you have to have public liability insurance and a duty of care ... the 'repairer' should be held accountable to bringing the watch back to original condition
new case new strap
Oh wow Dazza.... I had forgotten all about this thread, with my lack of proper English!
Thanks for reminding me....

Welcome!!

Old 5 December 2009, 04:13 PM   #53
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Vanessa i like your style!
Old 5 December 2009, 04:48 PM   #54
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserted View Post
Vanessa i like your style!
Thank you sir!

Old 7 December 2009, 10:56 AM   #55
Dazza

Watch: oyster dj 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Oh wow Dazza.... I had forgotten all about this thread, with my lack of proper English!
Thanks for reminding me....

Welcome!!

ty
with your lack of proper english can you help me on my other thread in this forum please Vanessa ;)

I am sure I will decypher it ;)

Old 8 December 2009, 12:08 AM   #56
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Last week 2 Presidents came in one was partially fake the othe was amazingly fake they used a 3135 movement instead of a 3155 and glued the day wheel to the dial from underneath unbelievable I sent him on his way with my condolences he paid 15,000 dollars for it ouch. Rik
Old 11 December 2009, 09:16 AM   #57
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Great post, thanks!
Old 12 December 2009, 01:00 AM   #58
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Proper English

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

JJ
...and if one is to be accurate, the phrase should be "yet, your written remarks are improper or ill constructed." Thus people who live in glass houses....

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
Old 12 December 2009, 01:06 AM   #59
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Will the spelling and grammar police please take a break?

(I speak Texan and often fail to proofread! lol)
Old 12 December 2009, 01:07 AM   #60
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Last week 2 Presidents came in one was partially fake the othe was amazingly fake they used a 3135 movement instead of a 3155 and glued the day wheel to the dial from underneath unbelievable I sent him on his way with my condolences he paid 15,000 dollars for it ouch. Rik
OUCH is right.