The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 October 2017, 07:13 AM   #1
JustBlueFish
Banned

New Submariner Movement Issue?

I just picked up a NIB Rolex Submariner 116610ln from the local AD on this past Thursday. I'm a little concerned that I have some problems with my watches movement and wanted to ask if anyone with more knowledge on this subject could help me.

I have an inexpensive No. 1000 timegrapher and when I put the Sub on I get the following graph. The bottom line of the graph has a lot of off beats or jitters. Honestly I don't know the correct terminology to describe what is happening, and I'm not really sure what the cause is.

That said I put my Seiko SKX007 on their and took a picture of that, just to illustrate that it's not the microphone or machine. I consistently get these types of graphs with this new Rolex and I get a nice clean graph with my Seiko.

What could be the cause, should I be concerned, and how should I proceed?

JustBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 07:18 AM   #2
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Can’t explain the “off beats” but it otherwise appears consistent at +3, which is good.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Is the new Watch keeping accurate time and running well. ?

If so I would not worry.
Ian Macdermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 07:26 AM   #4
JustBlueFish
Banned

On the wrist the watch is running about +4 to 5 seconds per day since I've had it. A little faster than I would prefer. But my main concern is the sloppy graph showing all those beat errors, or jitters, or whatever it's called. That seems like a problem.

My previous Rolex Explorer had a smooth clean graph with no errors in beat.
Old 3 October 2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Had a similar experience with a DJ once. A local watchmaker checked it on his timegrapher for me and it showed a similar pattern as yours. He advised me it indicated low amplitude and to send it to RSC. RSC fixed it under warranty but the only feedback was "checked movement". Whatever they did it ran great afterward.
Old 3 October 2017, 08:01 AM   #6
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Had a similar experience with a DJ once. A local watchmaker checked it on his timegrapher for me and it showed a similar pattern as yours. He advised me it indicated low amplitude and to send it to RSC. RSC fixed it under warranty but the only feedback was "checked movement". Whatever they did it ran great afterward.

I’m not keen on sending a watch in for repair I’ve owned for 4days, and not having it for weeks and weeks, but I’m guessing the AD won’t replace it. Kind of bummed right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2017, 08:15 AM   #7
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Yes.....I'd be reluctant to send it in so soon too. At +4-5s/day the accuracy is not that bad however it's not at the current Rolex specs of -2/+2. I would simply keep an eye on the accuracy for perhaps a month or so and see if things change, including the graph.
Old 3 October 2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlueFish View Post
I’m not keen on sending a watch in for repair I’ve owned for 4days, and not having it for weeks and weeks, but I’m guessing the AD won’t replace it. Kind of bummed right now.

Why not just wear it? If it is consistent +4 a day, there is nothing wrong with that. No offense, but you seem to be looking for a problem that just isn't there. Put away the timegrapher and enjoy your new watch. Chances are if you have it re-regulated it may come back even worse, or running slow.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Rolex are all the least consistent off all I have owned. I have a different issue with the attached graph. The watch is ridiculously accurate with questionable consistency.

If yours is keeping consistent time, I think you are okay. If you have a local watch maker, you can have them put it on a timer and get their opinion without opening it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 08:41 AM   #10
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Why not just wear it? If it is consistent +4 a day, there is nothing wrong with that. No offense, but you seem to be looking for a problem that just isn't there. Put away the timegrapher and enjoy your new watch. Chances are if you have it re-regulated it may come back even worse, or running slow.

No offense, but to me this is like making the argument that your new corvette is only firing on 7 cylinders but it still drives better than most cars, just enjoy it.

Old 3 October 2017, 09:09 AM   #11
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
These are your choices:

Leave well enough alone (majority view);

Send to RSC, it is under warranty;or,

Take it to an independent watch repair shop.

No way that the AD will buy it back.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

It either bothers you enough to send it in for warranty work, or it doesn't. There's not a whole lot else to it, really.

I'd personally wait a few weeks, and if it's still happening I'd send it in. But then, I took in a watch that was -1.5spd just because it was slow rather than fast. Since it was out of spec in one position, they agreed to fix it, and it came back +1.5-ish. Admittedly, I had an RSC within walking distance.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 11:00 AM   #13
run23
"TRF" Member

New Submariner Movement Issue?

Ask for a new watch. Rolex advertises +/-2 per day, and that graph probably shouldn't be jumping around (although I'm no expert and could be wrong). Be firm about not having it sent in for repair as you shouldn't spend $7,000+ for something and not have it work right out of the box. I've learned he hard way to fix a problem with any new thing right away because it's not going to get better.

I'm a little surprised at how blasé people are about a relatively expensive watch not running as advertised. Yes, accuracy for a mechanical isn't that important (and 4 or 5 seconds per day is very good), but Rolex needs to stand behind the claims it is making about its product, assuming this is one of the watches that is supposed to run at +/-2.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 11:06 AM   #14
wyatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbluefish View Post
no offense, but to me this is like making the argument that your new corvette is only firing on 7 cylinders but it still drives better than most cars, just enjoy it.
+1
wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 11:47 AM   #15
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the wrist the watch is running about +4 to 5 seconds per day since I've had it.
Rolex advertises +2/-2. Your watch is more than double that. I would take it back to the AD and politely ask for a new watch as they did not deliver to you what was promised (a watch running +2/-2). Only a new watch delivered to you with the promised specs is acceptable.

The watch did not subsequently develop a problem under warranty after purchase, the watch was delivered to you with a problem. If Rolex isn't held to the standard promised then its QC will not get any better.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 11:50 AM   #16
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
I'm a little surprised at how blasé people are about a relatively expensive watch not running as advertised. Yes, accuracy for a mechanical isn't that important (and 4 or 5 seconds per day is very good), but Rolex needs to stand behind the claims it is making about its product, assuming this is one of the watches that is supposed to run at +/-2.
Agreed! I would think Rolex aficionados would at least expect Rolex to deliver what is promised. I would not wear a BNIB modern Rolex and find +4 seconds per day acceptable. I can spend a lot less money for something that gains 4 seconds per day.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 12:07 PM   #17
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

You payed a premium to Rolex and the AD for that watch. If it is not performing as guaranteed, you should make them aware of the problem now and expect them to take care of you.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 09:36 PM   #18
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
You payed a premium to Rolex and the AD for that watch. If it is not performing as guaranteed, you should make them aware of the problem now and expect them to take care of you.

I'll visit the AD today and see what they're willing to do. I expect all I'll get is the offer to send it to Rolex for warranty service but maybe there's something else that can be done.

Old 3 October 2017, 09:41 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I just picked up a NIB Rolex Submariner 116610ln from the local AD on this past Thursday. I'm a little concerned that I have some problems with my watches movement and wanted to ask if anyone with more knowledge on this subject could help me.

I have an inexpensive No. 1000 timegrapher and when I put the Sub on I get the following graph. The bottom line of the graph has a lot of off beats or jitters. Honestly I don't know the correct terminology to describe what is happening, and I'm not really sure what the cause is.

That said I put my Seiko SKX007 on their and took a picture of that, just to illustrate that it's not the microphone or machine. I consistently get these types of graphs with this new Rolex and I get a nice clean graph with my Seiko.

What could be the cause, should I be concerned, and how should I proceed?

Was the test done on a full manual wind with a mainspring at max power-reserve.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 10:04 PM   #20
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Where do Rolex guarantee that the watch will be plus or minus two seconds on the wrist ? What they actually say is that in automated tests, over 24 hours and using algorithms of typical usage, , the watch met those standards at the factory.
That's not quite the same. If Rolex wanted to guarantee precision on the wrist, they would say so, quite specifically. They hint at it, but that's all.
If you are unhappy with the watch, send it to be checked. I did, and there was a minor issue. You'l just have nagging doubts if you don't have it checked.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 10:10 PM   #21
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This. A full wind is very important with the Timegrapher.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 10:16 PM   #22
mfletch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
I'd vote to keep an eye on it for for a while before sending it to RSC. The day I received my
Sub, I placed it on the timegrapher and got a reading of -3sec/day. I was concerned because of course that's outside of specs. After daily wear for 2-3 weeks, it was reading -.5 to .6sec per day where it remains. I'm not sure if my initial measurements were on a partial wind or something but nonetheless it's fine now.
mfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 10:34 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Rolex advertises +2/-2. Your watch is more than double that. I would take it back to the AD and politely ask for a new watch as they did not deliver to you what was promised (a watch running +2/-2). Only a new watch delivered to you with the promised specs is acceptable.

The watch did not subsequently develop a problem under warranty after purchase, the watch was delivered to you with a problem. If Rolex isn't held to the standard promised then its QC will not get any better.
probably get flamed for this but i think of it as the watch is capable of +2/-2 not that every one will get that rate, as there are a lot of variables which causes variations. If my car is advertised as 30MPG and i get 28MPG, the car isn't broken I'm just not using it in the exact same conditions the tests were conducted in. If its close then I am happy. OP's watch did function at +2/-2 before it left the factory its just not functioning at the same rate in the real world.

Double the rate sounds a bit misleading when looking at the number of seconds in a day. Its 4 seconds per day off instead of 2 out of 86,400 seconds.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 10:39 PM   #24
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Yes it was fully wound.

Also folks are focusing far to much on the issue of the daily rate being off a few seconds. Sure it's not ideal but what I'm concerned about is the jittery lines on the graph.

I'm not a watch maker but I believe this is indicative of a problem with the movement. Perhaps a problem with the pallet fork or hairspring? I'm not entirely sure, but I'm fairly sure it's out of beat and something is wrong.

That's why I started this thread to see if anyone more knowledgeable can diagnose that.

Old 3 October 2017, 10:51 PM   #25
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi OP.

Take it back and let us know how you got on.
Old 4 October 2017, 12:34 AM   #26
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Yes it was fully wound.

Also folks are focusing far to much on the issue of the daily rate being off a few seconds. Sure it's not ideal but what I'm concerned about is the jittery lines on the graph.

I'm not a watch maker but I believe this is indicative of a problem with the movement. Perhaps a problem with the pallet fork or hairspring? I'm not entirely sure, but I'm fairly sure it's out of beat and something is wrong.

That's why I started this thread to see if anyone more knowledgeable can diagnose that.

Reach out to user VanessaCW21. She is the real deal here. CW21 watchmaker
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 12:49 AM   #27
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Do this. Better to be safe than sorry later. Plus this will put your mind at ease. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Reach out to user VanessaCW21. She is the real deal here. CW21 watchmaker
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 04:12 AM   #28
JustBlueFish
Banned

I went back to the AD today with my timegrapher data and explained the situation. They agreed it didn't look right and that I shouldn't have to wait for warranty service/repair, so they replaced the watch for me with a new one.

This is my 2nd purchase from this AD and while I've always felt good about their pre-sale service, I can now say their post sale service is also second to none.

Here's a side by side comparison of the original Submariner on the timegrapher and the new one I picked up today. It looks like a marked improvement.

Old 4 October 2017, 04:18 AM   #29
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Glad to hear you got this resolved and the AD took care of you. That should keep you going back to them.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 04:21 AM   #30
themast
"TRF" Member

Glad things got resolved to your liking.

New watch seems way too good, I would be concerned!!! ahah
themast is offline   Reply With Quote