The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 January 2019, 09:04 PM   #31
tng11
"TRF" Member

Telling the OP to go grey or call a TS isn't really helpful in this situation. People on here forget that not everyone lives in the US. For us living in Canada, our import taxes can be close to 20% if you declare properly, or if you smuggle and get caught, you have the watch seized and slapped with a heavy fine.

Discounts in Canada are drying up on PMs no doubt. Many are willing to let you walk if you are negotiating. I think it might have to do with there being less competition with the grey market - it's not like we would save a ton dealing with a US grey after taxes are factored in.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:23 PM   #32
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1985 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been negotiating with a few ADs for a pretty hefty purchase of a PM piece. I have a 2 watch purchase history at one of the ADs and no real relationship with the others, outside of a soft referral from friends.

One AD that I have no purchase history with is willing to play ball on the price, but the others (including the one I have history with) have told me they will not touch the price (they say they will “see” about getting me an in-demand SS piece down the road). Am I just a terrible negotiator or has the market gone so haywire that PM pieces don’t even warrant a discount of any sort?

I am particularly surprised at the AD that I have bought from before. Have bought 2 pieces including a non-sport stainless model at full pop over the past year. I have built a little bit of rapport with the owner. Doesn’t feel like much of a “relationship”.

These ADs have made buying a PM piece a frustrating experience... I wonder if they would change their tune if I walked in cash in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phone around and find an AD with one in stock, and then talk price.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:49 PM   #33
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You are a terrible negotiator. Skip the AD and go grey

The one offer from an AD that I have negotiated is better than DSWs posted discount on the 228206 he currently has in stock.

I have used DSW before, I’m just not sure it makes sense in this scenario.

Again, I’m not complaining too much given the one offer I have, it’s the lack of flexibility of the other ADs that is confusing to me. As many have noted, it’s not a fast moving piece. I am surprised they are so confident they can move it at no discount.

k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:52 PM   #34
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I would say ok, thank you very much... good day and go shop for a different brand. The margin on a TT or gold model is much higher than SS, they aren't in demand like SS sport models... so if they want to act like they can get full MSRP, then let them shake someone else down or sit on the inventory.

This is where I am heading. Particularly with the AD I have built somewhat of a relationship with. I would have preferred to purchase with them and continue to build my purchase history, but now they are closer to losing me as a customer. They are making me feel like they are doing me a favor selling me a platinum DD!! No thanks.

Old 17 January 2019, 09:57 PM   #35
nick800
"TRF" Member

I got 20% off ad no tax on a YG sold at AD this week. They started at 15% and I asked for 20.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:10 PM   #36
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
The one offer from an AD that I have negotiated is better than DSWs posted discount on the 228206 he currently has in stock.

I have used DSW before, I’m just not sure it makes sense in this scenario.

Again, I’m not complaining too much given the one offer I have, it’s the lack of flexibility of the other ADs that is confusing to me. As many have noted, it’s not a fast moving piece. I am surprised they are so confident they can move it at no discount.
I bought my Daytona from DSW. But in your case, I'd buy from the AD. Save a bit of money and establish an AD relationship? Yes please! Nice watch, BTW!
Old 17 January 2019, 10:13 PM   #37
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I bought my Daytona from DSW. But in your case, I'd buy from the AD. Save a bit of money and establish an AD relationship? Yes please! Nice watch, BTW!
My thoughts exactly! Even if DSW has some wiggle room, for roughly the same price I would rather go AD - even if when I go in in a few months they will act like they don't know me
Old 17 January 2019, 10:15 PM   #38
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
My thoughts exactly! Even if DSW has some wiggle room, for roughly the same price I would rather go AD - even if when I go in in a few months they will act like they don't know me
You buy a platinum DD, they will know you!

But who knows if they will treat you well?
Old 17 January 2019, 10:18 PM   #39
LondonLukeM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116508 YG
The best i could manage to negotiate on a RG DD40 last month was 7% off MSRP OR a Pepsi at MSRP. I chose the latter.
LondonLukeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:20 PM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Sadly, I think that's where we're headed...
I agree Larry, we are trending in that direction which may not be a bad thing longer term for the brand
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:22 PM   #41
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
20% is the number to start and look for 25%. Do not call, go in and tell them you are ready to do the deal. PM is a different animal and the Trusted Sellers do the best in the U.S. as a general rule.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:28 PM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I thought in the US, if that's where you are, that 10-15% was still doable but sounds tougher now, in UK 0-10% is the norm, depending on city size. If you have to pay full price make sure you get a realistic commitment to get you a SS piece as well. If you have no SS you want then go grey or lightly used.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:00 PM   #43
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

DavidSW has one for $49,875. THAT would be the most i'd pay from a dealer, and an AD should be able to beat that price. Another great source is trusted seller Alikara https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=138560 so perhaps PM him to get his best price.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:11 PM   #44
YnotWatch
"TRF" Member

I had the exact opposite experience with an AD a few weeks ago. Was there to purchase a TT Sky-D and was exceedingly difficult to get to any meaningful discount (even off TT) as they were confident it would sell quickly. But, AD volunteered that if I wanted to look at PM DD or DJ, they were "very willing to come meaningfully off" MSRP.
YnotWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:44 AM   #45
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Then take it back to the AD for the half link couldn’t resist.

I actually agree with you, the OP could save a bundle going gray on that piece
Ha ha, you got me!

FWIW, a high dollar piece like a platinum Day Date is best bought from one of the sellers here. I would expect no less than 20-25% discount. Many of these pieces sit in the case for a long time.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:47 AM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Ha ha, you got me!

FWIW, a high dollar piece like a platinum Day Date is best bought from one of the sellers here. I would expect no less than 20-25% discount. Many of these pieces sit in the case for a long time.

I agree, the OP could save significantly using a TS. I remember the days of discounts in professional SS models

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:01 AM   #47
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
All of this is funny considering the PM pieces are sitting in cases and windows collecting dust...
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:05 AM   #48
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
It’s funny also because the AD I have purchased the most watches from and in my city have been a bit stingy on discounts lately as well... while a newer AD I only started with last year and bought a couple watches from have been much more accommodating. For reference he texted me a RG Olive Dial DD a couple weeks ago and was giving 22% off.. not sure how it would be on the Plat DD but feel free to PM me OP if you want me to find out for you!
surprised at the 22% off for a rg olive dd40 since they're going for like 3k more on the grey market
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #49
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I think some of the ads are letting all this get to their head. It’s like if all women started throwing themselves at me. In a few months I’d probably think/say something idiotic like “I only date Victoria secret models who are naturally blonde.”

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:44 AM   #50
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have been negotiating with a few ADs for a pretty hefty purchase of a PM piece. I have a 2 watch purchase history at one of the ADs and no real relationship with the others, outside of a soft referral from friends.

One AD that I have no purchase history with is willing to play ball on the price, but the others (including the one I have history with) have told me they will not touch the price (they say they will “see” about getting me an in-demand SS piece down the road). Am I just a terrible negotiator or has the market gone so haywire that PM pieces don’t even warrant a discount of any sort?

I am particularly surprised at the AD that I have bought from before. Have bought 2 pieces including a non-sport stainless model at full pop over the past year. I have built a little bit of rapport with the owner. Doesn’t feel like much of a “relationship”.

These ADs have made buying a PM piece a frustrating experience... I wonder if they would change their tune if I walked in cash in hand.

Couldn’t hurt trying cash, but you can always go the trusted seller/gray route. If I was going to go PM, it would be preowned-no way I’m paying Ad prices just to get hammers for like 20-30’percent as soon as the plastic is removed.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:45 AM   #51
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Zero discount on a PM? You need a new AD. Payback going to be a Biatch when this turns around.....
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:20 AM   #52
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Payback going to be a Biatch when this turns around.....
I’d like to think so also.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:32 AM   #53
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
All of this is funny considering the PM pieces are sitting in cases and windows collecting dust...
The ones I have seen have the stickers peeling and have clearly been sitting for a while. And yet, they remain stubborn...

Just visited another AD and they were at least open to negotiating. 5% and a sincere "we probably can't get you a Daytona this year, but we will do our best". Thanks guys, "your best" means a lot.
Old 18 January 2019, 03:34 AM   #54
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Zero discount on a PM? You need a new AD. Payback going to be a Biatch when this turns around.....
For sure on both counts.
Old 18 January 2019, 03:45 AM   #55
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is where I am heading. Particularly with the AD I have built somewhat of a relationship with. I would have preferred to purchase with them and continue to build my purchase history, but now they are closer to losing me as a customer. They are making me feel like they are doing me a favor selling me a platinum DD!! No thanks.

I'm finished with my AD after the way I was treated. No apology, no explanation, just "we don't negotiate"
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:47 AM   #56
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
There are car manufacturers that don't negotiate. The price is the price. Rolex is going the same way.

I was in the south of India a while ago and it's customary to negotiate on normal goods like clothes and shoes. You don't negotiate on new cars or real estate. You pay the asking price or you find something else. Stateside, have you ever negotiated the price on a new pair of shoes? Nope. If you didn't at least try to negotiate on a home purchase, your agent is a moron.

Things change.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:51 AM   #57
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
My long time AD has been telling me for years (and as late as last October) that they would gladly give me "a good discount" any time that I wanted a PM model, i.e. the Daytona or DD.

However, I do not know IF they have changed that policy within the past few months.

Unfortunately -- even with a discount I am still a ways off from being able to afford one.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:53 AM   #58
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

The pricing has gotten more strict from most AD's I work with as well...there is definitely 10 percent though for anything thats not the new ever rose GMT, yg with green dial Daytona or oysteflex models though.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:58 AM   #59
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
This would be unacceptable to me, especially being a previous loyal customer. Those PMs aren't flying off the shelves and you shouldn't need to bundle up and buy your way up to a "good deal", play a little hardball or find a new AD.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:04 AM   #60
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzKneez View Post
I'm finished with my AD after the way I was treated. No apology, no explanation, just "we don't negotiate"
Good for you, often times there is no loyalty in this game. Just like they will flip you for another higher customer you can be reciprocal and do the same. I walked into a boutique once and was told very rudely no discount, we don't need to sell this to you, etc etc not even able to ship to my other address for tax nor offer any freebies, this is for a $20k watch. I laughed and walked out and got the same watch from AD next week for a sizable discount.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote