The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2019, 03:39 AM   #91
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
I inquired about buying two PM pieces, a yg dd and wg sub. They said maybe 5% discount because they are popular pieces. I scoffed as I said I expected 15% minimum.

I’ve bought a few msrp off then before, don’t think I will bother trying to cultivate a relationship with them. It does appear to be the norm where I live, to give very scant discounts on popular PM pieces.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 05:00 AM   #92
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
Thats the norm now ... things change
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 05:32 AM   #93
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
The world we live in. In times like these the hero this town needs is a TS. Lots of good smurf and DD40 deals to be had out there.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:37 PM   #94
sya
"TRF" Member

Same thing here now, dealers here in our country offers no discount to any prof. PM Models, started last month. Maybe if VIP can get 5% disc tops
sya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:40 PM   #95
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1985 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been negotiating with a few ADs for a pretty hefty purchase of a PM piece. I have a 2 watch purchase history at one of the ADs and no real relationship with the others, outside of a soft referral from friends.

One AD that I have no purchase history with is willing to play ball on the price, but the others (including the one I have history with) have told me they will not touch the price (they say they will “see” about getting me an in-demand SS piece down the road). Am I just a terrible negotiator or has the market gone so haywire that PM pieces don’t even warrant a discount of any sort?

I am particularly surprised at the AD that I have bought from before. Have bought 2 pieces including a non-sport stainless model at full pop over the past year. I have built a little bit of rapport with the owner. Doesn’t feel like much of a “relationship”.

These ADs have made buying a PM piece a frustrating experience... I wonder if they would change their tune if I walked in cash in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No discount on a PM piece is ridiculous. I have an AD that will do 20% off the new all rose gold GMT that was released at Basel this year...and will do more off other PM pieces. You need to shop around...deals can be had when talking about PM models. Good luck.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:44 PM   #96
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
for a plat dd40 you should be able to get a SS daytona/skydweller/pepsi bundled in for retail...

either get 20% off or make sure you can walk away with a high demand SS piece. one of these 2 options will definitely be doable if you shop around
I'd say request both...it's doable. 20% of the PM and bundled with a high demand SS piece!
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #97
tng11
"TRF" Member

I emphasize again, Canada is a very different market. PM discounts, especially on professionals, for the most part, have dried up. Our MSRP is lower than the United States (sales tax covers a bit of the spread, but we are still below US MSRP with taxes included).

We do not have a grey market like the US where you can call a TS and have a PM overnighted to you with a big discount, and very few ADs relative to our population (i.e. less competition). Buying from a TS isn't really an economic option either, assuming you're doing things right, declaring full value to customs and paying 10-20% taxes on top. The ADs know that we have limited options and can really be stingy with discounts.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:33 PM   #98
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
No discounts on pm sports models in Australia from what I can tell when asking about a Daytona

I think we're somewhat similar to Canada, fairly small market and when you factor in our crappy dollar it's a cheap place to buy. WG oysterflex Daytona retails at about $24k usd once you get the sales tax refund
supersam80 is offline   Reply With Quote