The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2019, 11:20 AM   #121
cervie599
Banned

I don't care at all, however, one of my co workers was face first into my 116710 and went "Whoa". It was only a few days old at the time. Must have caught the light or something!
cervie599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #122
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

I don't care at all if anyone notices my Rolex watch's.
Actually the less attention the better, because I purchased them for my own wearing enjoyment. If I do get a compliment, which is far & few, I simply say thank you.
whatsthetime? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:34 AM   #123
stateman
"TRF" Member

Work in an office environment in Connecticut for a Fortune 500 company - the only watch that anyone has ever commented on in the past 15+ years at this company was a Stowa Marine on nato...which always gets comments when worn - big white, very legible dial. Don't ever recall a comment about my Explorer, BLNR, GO Panoreserve or Zenith Heritage. At this point, I'd just welcome talking to another watch nerd...
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:10 PM   #124
diced_tomatoes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I've only had my pre-C Sub noticed a few times, like by a fellow WIS at a phone store and a friend who's dad got him into Rolex as a grad present. I've never once been uncomfortable when someone notices, even if asked about authenticity since I don't wear it to be noticed by others. Other than that, only my roommates notice my watches since they know I'm really into horology.

I'm still in college and most people in my generation probably wouldn't be able to recognize one unless they read the dial. I prefer it this way since I wear the watch for myself. Most of my peers would find it pretty silly for someone my age to be spending anything over $100 on a watch so it's nice to have a piece that flies under the radar so to speak.
diced_tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:00 PM   #125
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
reading most of the replies (could've missed a few) I can't believe no one has ever commented on someone's Rolex...

But I guess I just can't see it being that way because everyone I know has a Rolex so they not only notice it but compliment it as well.

I would say a good 60% to 70% of my friends have a Rolex watch. The minimum being a Submariner, one of my friends has a Rose Gold Sky Dweller with matching dial, others have the Yacht-Master and others have GMT's

Really puzzles me how someone above me wrote that they wore a Rolex for 32 years without getting noticed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Funny thing, the only one of my Rolex watches that anyone commented on was over 10 years ago. It was my14270 36mm Explorer 1. A young salesman is a very high end men's clothing store here commented what a nice watch it was.

Since then, I have had a couple of comments on one or two of my Omega watches.

I am usually wearing short sleeve shirts as well, so it's not like I am trying to cover up that I have a nice watch!

The only other person I know who owns a Rolex is the gentleman who owns the Italian coffee house where I hang out. Gold 36mm DD and, I believe a DJ. I have been going there for almost 20 years, and he has always had them. And they always look great and timeless!

Just thought after reading this thread I wonder if that will change when I get my SD43. It will be my first Rolex Diver watch, never owned a Sub or any other before. Most of my Rolex watches were OP34s, so pretty low key.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 21 January 2019, 01:06 PM   #126
nabbasi
"TRF" Member

Does anyone else find it very uncomfortable when someone notices your watch?

My Tudor sub gets noticed and mistaken for a Rolex far too often. My 114270 hasn’t been noticed at all, so I wear it more because it does make me feel uncomfortable.
nabbasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:19 AM   #127
jets
"TRF" Member

If anyone brings it up I do my best to downplay it and move on to another topic.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:26 AM   #128
happy_jon
"TRF" Member

I remember I was staying at a backpackers in Singapore and a guy in his 20s couldn't take his eyes off my watch when I was in the lobby. (not to steal... I think he wanted to approach me but wasn't sure what to say)

Similarly I was having Chinese New Year dinner last year and a guy across the table also kept staring at my Hulk, then I noticed he was wearing a Black Sub. Takes one to know one I guess

I also remember at a wedding wearing my day date gold with diamond bezel and my friends went whoa because the spotlights really enhanced the diamonds. Kinda felt embarrassed didn't expect that kind of attention.

It's complimentary on one hand but in some less scrupulous areas it may be a sign your gonna get mugged hahaha
happy_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:28 AM   #129
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
But when some just politely comments on my watch I still find it rather awkward and just politely say thank you. Maybe because I am rather young to wear a Rolex I find it uncomfortable?
Or maybe you should be wearing a Rotary or Timex.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:51 AM   #130
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
But never Judge someone on his clothing. I dress like a vagabond but wear a Rolex. I do not care about good clothing and my jacket smells so badly that when i take it off the full train is going to the second class YOLO
I am the same. I dress comfortably. I wear a uniform at work everyday so I don't need to get dressed up for work. I wear jeans and tshirts most days, but I can clean up pretty well if needed.
I would assume looking at me and my style that what I wear is fake, but I think that's fine by me. Come summer no one will guess I own a genuine PM YM.

I have had only a few notice my watch in my paltry, 2 years of ownership. the first was at a drive thru at Tim Hortons. the fine chap taking my money said hey nice watch. I replied Thank you. he knew his watches. he asked if I owned others and I replied yes. which ones he said. I told him the Rhodium YM. He said that a nice one too. Now im known as " The Rolex Guy" when I hit the drive thru. It like when Norm walks into Cheers. "Hey its Rolex guy!!!!"

I had 2 co workers notice in 1 week and comment on it. They work in another building and I don't see them very often.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:53 AM   #131
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

My only problem is my friends usually want to try my watch on, which I can’t say no to.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:54 AM   #132
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
I only appreciate it when people notice a "non popular" watch, ie NOT Nautilus/Royal Oak/Rolex/RM

if that makes any sense. Like if someone said "wow I love that FPJ CB" i would happily engage in a conversation as opposed to "sick MILLE BRO IS IT REAL? DRAKE HAS ONE"
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:17 AM   #133
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
If anyone brings it up I do my best to downplay it and move on to another topic.
May I ask why? Honest question. Do you think they have bad intent or what?
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:27 AM   #134
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
If someone asks "Is it real" I am quite taken aback at their rudeness and just reply with "why do you ask?"

But when some just politely comments on my watch I still find it rather awkward and just politely say thank you. Maybe because I am rather young to wear a Rolex I find it uncomfortable?

I’m with you. I was having a drink at a bar once and someone asked me if my TT datejust was real. I grabbed them, threw them on the bar. Rained blows down upon them. Then set them on fire with cheap tequila and my DuPont lighter....

Seriously. Get over yourself. Just smile and say yes or no. Who cares at the end of the day. Frankly. Maybe you should put the Rolex away and get something else if you worry that much about what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:31 AM   #135
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
I’m with you. I was having a drink at a bar once and someone asked me if my TT datejust was real. I grabbed them, threw them on the bar. Rained blows down upon them. Then set them on fire with cheap tequila and my DuPont lighter....

Seriously. Get over yourself. Just smile and say yes or no. Who cares at the end of the day. Frankly. Maybe you should put the Rolex away and get something else if you worry that much about what people think.

Old 22 January 2019, 02:02 AM   #136
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
When they ask... I tell them Yes and I got it from Walmart. Usually they laugh and start a fun conversation.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:10 AM   #137
Dudman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub -116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
I don't mind if someone asks if it is a real Rolex. If the next question asked is "How much does it cost ?" This is a blunt rude question. At this point I would change the subject or walk on.
I personally casually notice every watch in the room. I usually don’t say a word. But if the opportunity comes up I do kinda feel out their enthusiasm for the brand. If they display high enthusiasm/knowledge then I like to engage in geek conversation with them but with not too many listeners.
BTW I think others notice more than we think they do.

I got the rudest question one time. Is it real? Yes. What did it cost? I answered that it was a gift and I am not sure. Onto the Next subject
Dudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:33 AM   #138
Blue_Collar_Bougie
"TRF" Member

Now I feel bad the two or three times I remember complimenting people on their Rolex. I can't believe people would ask you if it was real though, my friend, that's really rude.
Blue_Collar_Bougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:57 AM   #139
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
What were you wearing? Was it a fellow watch enthusiast?
White 116500 - A woman I see in the neighborhood who actually wears a lot of jewelry but necessarily into watches.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:24 AM   #140
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
White 116500 - A woman I see in the neighborhood who actually wears a lot of jewelry but necessarily into watches.
Nice!
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:44 AM   #141
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
The number of people I’ve had notice my watch over the past few years is near zero. If it is a watch enthusiast, we have a quick conversation. If not, it is usually a short exchange and I tell them how much I love it.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:09 PM   #142
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I actually wish someone would compliment/comment on one of my watches once in a while just so we can talk watches. Just doesn't happen very often. I went to funeral service this weekend and wore my AP 15400. I saw a couple of old friends check it out but no one mentioned it. Most people could care less.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:18 PM   #143
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
It's going to happen. I wouldn't let it bother me unless the person noticing is sketchy.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:19 PM   #144
TheGRman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1981 AK 5500
People commenting on mine doesn't bother me in the least. I tell them thank you, look over at their watch and comment on their choice of watch. If I want to get a quick laugh or smile, I say thank you, it's a Timex but spelled differently.
TheGRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:56 PM   #145
tmmii
"TRF" Member

Sometimes. It really depends on the situation. Day to day I’m a title agent and deal with all kinds of people. When I am closing a loan for people that are putting $0 down and have $500 to their name I try to pull my shirt cuff a little lower. I think it would seriously lack class to throw my 10k for a watch when I have a phone that does so much more in their faces.

However when I get that a hole person who thinks that their crap doesn’t stink I’ll let it hang out a bit to kinda tell them I beat them and their breitling or Movado.

If someone asks or compliments me on my sub I can’t help but to thank them while I take it off and offer to them to try it on. It happens without thought. The first Rolex I had on my wrist happened that way and I think it was the coolest thing. Don’t think I will ever forget it.
tmmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:28 PM   #146
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I know it isn't really out in the wild however I was at the AD where I bought my Daytona picking up the serviced ExpII. The lady who got me the watch and was checking me out wanted to set it for me. I told her not to bother because I've been wearing the Daytona ever since I got it and I'm not wearing anything else. We'd been talking about the island I live on and how she and her husband used to live there too. At any rate I showed her the watch and she said, "ooh that's the ice blue dial, that means it's platinum." She was very kind and genuinely enthusiastic. I told her about trading the 19 watch in and she explained how she had done some of the paperwork for the deal. It was very nice to see someone so genuinely enthusiastic at the AD and to make contact in a personal way.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:51 PM   #147
Blackstone
"TRF" Member

I get asked a few times a year, generally another watch guy, so it’s great. Oddly, my most discussed watch is my 2000 Yachtmaster platinum. I very rarely wear it but when I do the conversation starts.
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:16 PM   #148
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I often wear a white gold DayDate. If people seemed to notice it, I’d stop wearing it. For me, watches are a private pleasure.
Fortunately, as best I can tell, no-one cares about watches...except us lot.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:39 PM   #149
Talisman5755
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
I wouldn't know as I don't yet own a Rolex, but I have been on the other side. I've pointed it out on others wrists and have been pleasantly surprised it opened up a dialogue on more than one occasion. I think it has to be done tastefully and tactfully.
Talisman5755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:40 PM   #150
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post

You get over yourself, it is totally different in the UK where we have a culture rife with jealousy of anyone wealthy. There is not much of a "good for him" attitude when it come to successful people unfortunately.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote