The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2019, 12:23 AM   #1
tng11
"TRF" Member

Incoming White Gold Goodness! (116519LN)

Even though I've been collecting for well over a decade, I had a very long hiatus from Rolex. My first Rolex was a 116713LN in 2008, which I sold off about a year later. I only came back to Rolex around Basel 2017. The Oysterflex Daytonas were the new release that had my eye at the time. A couple of months later, I had the chance to try the WG 116519LN, and I was smitten at the time. But I had my doubts about the Oysterflex setup, especially how long it would last, and really, if rubber made the Rolex look cheap. Every time I saw it in an AD display case, I had to try it on. And each time, I struggled to give it back to the salesperson. Admittedly, the 116518LN champagne dial was a very close second, but I still have doubts about how well suited coloured gold is for my lifestyle.

First Saturday after the new year, I took a trip to my newly discovered AD just to chat about watches, after having made my first purchase from there in the last week of 2018. There was a 116518LN with the Newman dial in the case, and the manager of the shop encouraged me to try it on as it was one of his favourites. I told him quite frankly, I wasn't a fan.

He told me to wait a moment, and then he goes to the back and presents a 116519LN to me. By now, a watch that was seemingly available every so often in display cases, was not so easily available, and is now a waitlist piece at all of the ADs in my region. And it was in front of me again. I spend a good 30 minutes with the piece, while trying on other PMs. At the end, the manager tells me he saw a special glow on my face when the 116519LN came out, and that no other piece gave me that look. Again, like the couple of other times I've tried it on, I reluctantly tell him that I have to sleep on it.

The next morning I decide to call the owner back and pull the trigger. Only thing is, the AD is a pretty lengthy drive from my work and home, so I waited until the weekend to pick it up.

And I had the pleasure of peeling off all the stickers per Rolex policy!

I was stunned by how much better it looked in natural light outside the AD in the car!

The next day I took a very quick journey to the RSC to have the straps exchanged for the correct size. Initially the technician suggested ED/EF, which I found a tad loose, and we eventually settled for ED/EE.

So far, I've worn this piece the entire week, save for one day where I decided to wear the 5712. And wow, it's a piece that I love more on my wrist now than I did seeing it in the AD. There's something about the tone and glow of white gold. It's not quite as sterile as SS, it has a very subtle and warm grey/yellow hue in certain angles. And that steel panda dial is just so much more lively and dynamic than the dials in the 116500. And the Oysterflex is perfectly designed for a PM case - it sits on the wrist well and holds the watch head in place without any flopping around.

Overall, I am very happy with this acquisition. Not only am I loving the piece, but for all the horror stories I've heard about ADs and my other terrible experiences with local ADs, I had a wonderful experience with my new AD.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:27 AM   #2
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Stunning watch. Best looking Daytona out there by a mile. Congrats.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:27 AM   #3
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Great story and beautiful watch. Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:46 AM   #4
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Enjoy the beauty!

The hassle of getting the right strap to fit is what’s holding me back. Otherwise this would be on top my short list. Rolex should make a rubber strap that can be cut or customized/adjusted by the wearer. There must be dozens of manufacture that makes rubber strap that can be adjusted, using something as simple as strap holes and a right buckle? It must be the Rolex Way. Sorry for the rant...
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #5
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Wonderful piece! Enjoy and thanks for sharing

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:54 AM   #6
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Nice choice! The WG Daytona on OF is one of my favorites and is a holy grail watch for me. No need to convince me that you made the right choice.

The Everose gold version on OF is also catching my eye, but in the end the WG wins for me. Congrats! Enjoy that beauty!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:55 AM   #7
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Congratulations! I think that this is my favorite PM Daytona, I love the oysterflex and the white gold is very under the radar but elegant. You had some amazing photos as well! Enjoy it!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:57 AM   #8
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Congrats Tom!
Old 20 January 2019, 01:01 AM   #9
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post

The hassle of getting the right strap to fit is what’s holding me back. Otherwise this would be on top my short list. Rolex should make a rubber strap that can be cut or customized/adjusted by the wearer. There must be dozens of manufacture that makes rubber strap that can be adjusted, using something as simple as strap holes and a right buckle? It must be the Rolex Way. Sorry for the rant...
A very welcomed rant. Eventually I hope to have an incoming one on OF someday, and it will probably be a preowned. I have thought about this issue as well. You either have to be very lucky to have had the same size wrist as the previous owner, or be prepared to purchase the correct size straps. More than likely it will be the latter. I did read one thread where someone purchased a preowned WG Daytona and that is exactly what they had to do. It was only then that I learned that these straps do not have any type of "adjustment" system built into them. Even with this issue in mind, I still want a WG OF Daytona!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:04 AM   #10
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
I love this watch, it came in second place when i pulled the trigger on my smurf.

Congrats on the purchase, I hope you wear it in good health
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:06 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations again Tom, looks perfect on you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:08 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well, first off, huge congrats are in order!

I've got to agree with everything you've said about the watch...it makes my stomach flip whenever I look at the dial.

My only knock on the watch is that it's a collection killer. Every time I walk by the watch box, I have to take whatever I'm wearing off and put the 519 on. It's just not fair to the other watches.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:08 AM   #13
robjohna
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Gorgeous by far. One of the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:08 AM   #14
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Huge congrats! One of the best ever IMO!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:09 AM   #15
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Congrats. It’s a great looking piece!!
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:09 AM   #16
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
A great looking Daytona! Big congrats!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:09 AM   #17
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Huge congratulations Tom and a great story and photos.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:13 AM   #18
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Huge congratulations! That's my favorite Daytona model also.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:16 AM   #19
Fresh_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Big Congrats! Such a beautiful Daytona! I think all three PM's work great with the Panda and black sub dials, the ceramic bezel and oysterflex tone down the YG & RG alot, but the WG still the most versatile.
Fresh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:16 AM   #20
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Congrats
Old 20 January 2019, 01:31 AM   #21
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
You made the right choice. Just gorgeous. Congrats!
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #22
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Congratulations Tom!
Wear it in the best of health.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:41 AM   #23
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
Thanks for the well drafted post with the accompanying pictures.

There is something about the comfort of the oysterflex, Everest or RubberB straps. I think I prefer the metal bracelet overall, but there is no denying the comfort and the way it holds the watch. And, in the water or a shower there is none better. I can see myself eventually pulling the trigger on any of the ones Rolex has chosen to sport that strap. Great buy, congrats.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:44 AM   #24
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats! Beautiful Daytona!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:46 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Congrats Tom! I've said before this one has the most Patek like feel of any Rolex I have owned so they partner up really well.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:51 AM   #26
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Huge congrats, perfect choice. The dial is amazing! Regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:56 AM   #27
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
A very welcomed rant. Eventually I hope to have an incoming one on OF someday, and it will probably be a preowned. I have thought about this issue as well. You either have to be very lucky to have had the same size wrist as the previous owner, or be prepared to purchase the correct size straps. More than likely it will be the latter. I did read one thread where someone purchased a preowned WG Daytona and that is exactly what they had to do. It was only then that I learned that these straps do not have any type of "adjustment" system built into them. Even with this issue in mind, I still want a WG OF Daytona!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidalgoBay View Post
Thanks for the well drafted post with the accompanying pictures.

There is something about the comfort of the oysterflex, Everest or RubberB straps. I think I prefer the metal bracelet overall, but there is no denying the comfort and the way it holds the watch. And, in the water or a shower there is none better. I can see myself eventually pulling the trigger on any of the ones Rolex has chosen to sport that strap. Great buy, congrats.
Thanks!

I will just make a general comment about the Oysterflex strap. I had reservations at first about the system. Having to buy different sizes, and the tight control over supply of them had me really skpetical at first. I will freely admit I was concerned about a limited resale market too. And yet, I had tried Everest and Rubber B and didn't like them - they just didn't feel like they matched with Rolex.

The way the Oysterflex strap is designed is quite interesting with the titanium blade in the middle. I can't help but think it's a bit of overengineering on Rolex's part, but at the same time, I think it's what enables its unique design with the "wings" on the inside and provides the foundation/structure for it. It's definitely the most comfortable rubber strap watch I've owned to date - I find others tend to feel sticky after a full day of wear, but not with the Oysterflex strap which allows for great ventilation and stability of the watch on the wrist. And to me, it's that kind of engineering and feel which makes it the only acceptable rubber option for a Rolex.

I do wish for the benefit of potential buyers, Rolex had a better way to try the sizing before buying. The size that fits you on one model, may not necessarily be the same size on the other. For instance, ED/EE on the Yachtmaster was way too tight for me, and I required ED/EF (using the second micro-adjustment hole), which was a tad loose, but if I used the third hole, it would have been too tight. On this one, I tried ED/EF with the strap being on the innermost hole, and it was a tad loose. Eventually, ED/EE on the outermost hole was what I needed - perfect balance without being uncomfortable, and I could have the benefit of the Easylink for the summer. And I warn, that I found the fit between the OF on the 116519LN and 116500 were different too, possibly because of the location of the springbar holes.

Also, I think the PM models are less forgiving in sizing than it would be if it was on SS. You dial it in too loose and the watch flops around. That was a problem I had sometimes on the Yachtmaster.

If you buy new from an AD, they should have different sizes on hand to swap, but if they don't, it can take some time to order. I decided to make things easy by going to the RSC directly, but the AD definitely told me that sizing could have been done by them too. RSC did the swap for free as the watch was new, and had all sizes on hand to get the fit right.

If you buy used, then that's where it might get expensive or a bit more difficult. At least, what the local RSC told me was that the strap was about the equivalent of $350 USD per end, and that if you need a new size, you had to turn in the old one (while still paying full price). Now, some ADs may sell you the strap too without requiring a one-to-one exchange.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:57 AM   #28
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
Huge congrats. It’s my favorite piece to wear. Enjoy!
Old 20 January 2019, 02:38 AM   #29
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Congrats, wear it well
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:42 AM   #30
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Congrats!