The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 January 2019, 01:36 PM   #1
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Will younger adults in the near future be interested in Rolex Watches?

Had a conversation with a few buddies of mine and would like to hear these forums thoughts on the matter.

Incase I didn't make it clear with the title let me say this, will a 18 to 28 year old be interested in Rolex Watches let's say in the year 2030?

I think Rolex isn't going to dwindle down anytime soon, but my friends say that brands like Apple have shifted the way people look at watches. "Why look at a watch just for time when I could look at it for a text and/or email as well?" he claims would be the thought process of a person who is 23 in the year 2030.

I understand some of their points, technology is getting more and more advanced sooner than later. But will Luxury watches be something people look into in the future or will it be all about the digital or smart watch scene?

Maybe I'm biased but I think people like myself who purchased their first Rolex at 21 will still be out in the world in 2030/2040/2050 and so on... what do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:44 PM   #2
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Many think the Apple Watch will do for the watch industry with the current up and coming generation what Swatch did for the previous one and I tend to agree. What the both were successful at is getting young people excited and accustomed to wearing a watch. At some point those that become affluent later in life may then be more likely to buy a nice Swiss timepiece either due to genuine interest or for a status symbol. Either way a net positive for the high end watch industry and Rolex. Plus, by that time Apple will have moved off wearable tech and you will have an Apple chip in your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
I remember when calculator watches were all the rave.
Old 20 January 2019, 01:46 PM   #4
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Apple will have moved off wearable tech and you will have an Apple chip in your brain.

Jesus Christ

Old 20 January 2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree - the mechanical tech is already not necessary, this won’t change in 2030, but there will always be that inextricable draw to a mechanical mechanism and beautifully constructed/ finished case/dial aesthetic.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
If by then people are constantly glued to a screen reading text and emails as they apparently are at present I'll be happy to be the odd one out with my old watches. There will be demand accompanying price decreases too so bonus for me. It's gonna be great (I was never Mr. Popular).
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:56 PM   #7
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i posted this in another thread about the same topic today - with all the references to rolex/ap/patek in hip hop i don't see there being a loss of interest especially considering its the most popular genre of music in the US now. essentially free marketing for these brands lol although i don't know how they feel about it
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:01 PM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
My son is 15 and he received an Apple Watch for his birthday. He wore it for about 3 months and was thoroughly enjoying it. One weekend he had a Model UN event and he asked if he could borrow one of my watches. I asked him what was wrong with his watch and he said he wants to exude class, so I let him choose one. He chose my Speedmaster, excellent choice. Since then he sold his Apple Watch and he is the new caretaker of my Soeedy.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Jerz616
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 116710LN
My 9yr old is already obsessed with watches. Right now he wears a vivo fit jr which is just an activity tracker. But he loves having a watch on his wrist. He’s already bugging me for my watches. I told him he can have my Tag Aquaracer automatic,when he graduates HS. Then when he graduates college he can have his pick of which one of my Rolex he wants. I started my love of watches very early as well with a swatch back in the 80’s. So I have no doubt there will still be an affinity in the future generations.
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quality is timeless and future generations will for many reasons always value a fine timepiece.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:07 PM   #11
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Quality is timeless and future generations will for many reasons always value a fine timepiece.
I'm hoping this is the case!

Old 20 January 2019, 02:16 PM   #12
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

My coworker was telling me recently how kids today don’t know about classic rock bands and how they will be forgotten in the near future. I pointed out to him that my teenage niece has The Doors and Led Zeppelin posters hanging in her bedroom.

The classics will never go out of style. And I doubt technology will ever replace high end luxury products.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:31 PM   #13
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Most young people are just interested in having fun...sex.. and eventually... jobs and money..
..they have never been all that interested in watches per se..let alone expensive watches..as thats really an adults game..
I don't think expensive watches will be in play forever..and will eventually go the way of mechanical cameras.. vinyl records...and film..and...the dodo bird...lol..
There will be some still wearing a Rolex here and there....and those who provide such fine products..but as an exception...rather than the rule..perhaps enough sales though to keep em in biz..
But..
Watches are definitely not a growth industry..even though there seems to be a ok growth in sales at the moment..for some brands..
I would not count on long term sustainability..
..or interest over the long haul..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:33 PM   #14
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
I know a few fellas in their late teens/ early twenties who aspire to owning a Rolex one day.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:37 PM   #15
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
My son is 15 and he received an Apple Watch for his birthday. He wore it for about 3 months and was thoroughly enjoying it. One weekend he had a Model UN event and he asked if he could borrow one of my watches. I asked him what was wrong with his watch and he said he wants to exude class, so I let him choose one. He chose my Speedmaster, excellent choice. Since then he sold his Apple Watch and he is the new caretaker of my Soeedy.
Ya gotta like a kid like that! As long as he didn't flash it around with the intention of putting down folks who didn't have a hi-end watch.

Exuding class is one thing, personifing class is another. A luxo watch doesn't make a person "classy" - their actions do.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:40 PM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
We were discussing these same questions a decade or so ago.

You know, back when nobody but me and a few others were buying GMT's..
Old 20 January 2019, 02:42 PM   #17
benouah
"TRF" Member

Will most likely be.
Just look at the number of time pieces among hip hop MV.
Those are watched mostly by teens.

benouah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:48 PM   #18
Matt Andrews
Banned

If they are into watches, they will be into Rolex imho
Matt Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:50 PM   #19
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Ya gotta like a kid like that! As long as he didn't flash it around with the intention of putting down folks who didn't have a hi-end watch.

Exuding class is one thing, personifing class is another. A luxo watch doesn't make a person "classy" - their actions do.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Good points about being careful about behavior with a luxury item at a young age. Luckily I’m not worried about him flaunting it. He hangs around a good crowd and he said that while his friends noticed it nobody asked what brand it is nor do they care, in his words. But with that being said he doesn’t want to want to borrow any Rolex because he thinks if he wears a Rolex people might think he’s trying to show off. So I guess Speedys fly under the radar.
Old 20 January 2019, 02:53 PM   #20
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
My 27 year niece just got a big promotion so she bought herself a GMT rootbeer. My 25 year nephew wears his dad's sub everyday. Just these 2 examples, I don't think Rolex is going away.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:00 PM   #21
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
My 27 year niece just got a big promotion so she bought herself a GMT rootbeer. My 25 year nephew wears his dad's sub everyday. Just these 2 examples, I don't think Rolex is going away.
That's great to hear but in the Year 2030 they will be around the 35 to 38 year old range.

I am very well aware that younger people in these days 2019 are into Rolex but the question is will it be this way in the next decade? I understand time will tell but it's still fun to discuss

Old 20 January 2019, 03:02 PM   #22
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Good points about being careful about behavior with a luxury item at a young age. Luckily I’m not worried about him flaunting it. He hangs around a good crowd and he said that while his friends noticed it nobody asked what brand it is nor do they care, in his words. But with that being said he doesn’t want to want to borrow any Rolex because he thinks if he wears a Rolex people might think he’s trying to show off. So I guess Speedys fly under the radar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Upbringing is a big influence.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:06 PM   #23
AK DeepSea
Banned

I am 29 and love watches.
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:15 PM   #24
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
We got lucky. I’m sure most parents feel the same but I couldn’t have asked for. Better kid.
Old 20 January 2019, 03:21 PM   #25
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
We were discussing these same questions a decade or so ago.

You know, back when nobody but me and a few others were buying GMT's..

And we could have asked this same question every ten years since 1950.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:24 PM   #26
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
I remember when calculator watches were all the rave.
Me, too, and I also remember swearing that I'd never own another mechanical watch again when the digital watches first became affordable in the mid-Seventies.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:25 PM   #27
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
Perhaps.

I was born in Scotland a few years after the war.

The toilets were out the back, the nearest cold water was on the first floor landing and we had a single gas burner.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:35 PM   #28
O M Z
"TRF" Member

I’m 26 and purchased my first Rolex yesterday! I used an Apple watch few years ago and tbh they look really ridiculous on people as a daily IMO. I’d only use it for sports.

I’d say that people my age are getting more and more interested in luxury watches if I look around me and that “older” people are getting interested in these so called smart watches.

O M Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 03:53 PM   #29
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
by that time Apple will have moved off wearable tech and you will have an Apple chip in your brain.
I NEARLY SPIT MY BEER OUT!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:10 PM   #30
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Short answer, generally speaking .............. NO !

) Twenty somethings currently interested in watches are irrelevant

) Enthusiasts tend to view situations with rose colored glasses

) General public (non-enthusiast) children do not experience an adult in their life wearing a mechanical watch, and the number is diminishing yearly

) Sales statistics for electronic wrist devices are staggering, and increasing rapidly

My conclusion:

In thirty to forty years, up to sixty percent of mechanical watch manufacturers will be out of business. The remaining will supply the WIS type enthusiasts.Rolex will be one of the survivors.

There will be a new market segment of hybrid mechanical/smart watch that will be powered by a mechanical movement with a micro generator producing the current for the electronic functions. Imagine an advanced version of the current Ressence E-Crown. Rolex will manufacture a line of watches for this new segment, and probably currently in development.