The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 January 2019, 10:01 PM   #61
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
My conclusion:

In thirty to forty years, up to sixty percent of mechanical watch manufacturers will be out of business. The remaining will supply the WIS type enthusiasts.Rolex will be one of the survivors.

There will be a new market segment of hybrid mechanical/smart watch that will be powered by a mechanical movement with a micro generator producing the current for the electronic functions. Imagine an advanced version of the current Ressence E-Crown. Rolex will manufacture a line of watches for this new segment, and probably currently in development.

I agree, Rolex will be one of the survivors and I think their policy of scarcity causing desirability is because they are looking towards the future.[/QUOTE]

Bingo !
Old 20 January 2019, 10:10 PM   #62
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I am 21 and I see a lot of people around me still interested in watches. Granted people I see are slightly out of your age bracket. (We will be in early-mid 30s in 2030.) But we are already Gen Z. And as much a lot of people around me like Apple Watch more, they do understand watches. Both have their place.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:22 PM   #63
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Will younger adults in the near future be interested in Rolex Watches?

Of course they will.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:26 PM   #64
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I still find slide rules fascinating.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:26 PM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If tech and SM truly do take over, and it looks like it will, the one saving grace is that a lot of these guys will be buying Rolexes mainly just to post and get likes and wives for themselves so the Rolex brand should be fine, but other lesser known and thus lower status brands will disappear, think many mid-lux brands are already struggling.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:32 PM   #66
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
In short, yes. In fact I predict that in the future analog watches like Rolex will be more popular and much more expensive in the future.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:41 PM   #67
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

Apple watch is just another type of watch. Will not replace a Rolex. People will have one or the other, or both.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:47 PM   #68
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I tend to agree - the mechanical tech is already not necessary, this won’t change in 2030, but there will always be that inextricable draw to a mechanical mechanism and beautifully constructed/ finished case/dial aesthetic.
And also showing off.....as we all know there are plenty of people who buy watches as a statement or to fill some void in their makeup....if the world becomes less materialistic as we finally accept that stuff dont make the man then a large portion of would be buyers will dwindle.....or maybe not
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:47 PM   #69
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabreath View Post
Apple watch is just another type of watch. Will not replace a Rolex. People will have one or the other, or both.
Quick question regarding that......Is an Apple Watch really a watch, or is it a simple repeater? If permanently disconnected from cellular and wi-fi networks, do they still keep time?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:49 PM   #70
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

I think many of the desirable functions of a smart watch (heart rate tracking, notifications, etc) will actually be done by the BRACELET in a few years, so you can have a nice mechanical on top. There are even rings that can do some of this stuff. Wearing a giant screen on your wrist will look like using an 80s style mobile phone with 3 foot antenna :)

And Google glass is gonna make a comeback....big time.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:56 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its the younger generation in the age of social media pushing the desirability of Rolex more than any group IMO. I think the next generation to come may do the same.

Just a feeling but i think the Rolex age demographic has drastically skewed younger in recent times. Its also the more desirable demographic for companies to be in as well. High income young people have more disposable income than older high income individuals because of other financial responsibilities as you age. These young cats have money to burn and no obligations.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:56 PM   #72
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quality mechanical watches that double as jewelry simply make too much sense to completely disappear any time soon. Most 60 year olds don't own a decent watch either so it's really not fair to compre a group on a watch forum to the 20something population as a whole. I didn't wear a watch at all from about 1989 to 2005.

The kids are alright.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:57 PM   #73
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Wearable tech will simply be the gateway drug to Rolex, Patek and (some) other high end brands. In fact you could argue that Apple watches and the like will actually benefit Rolex.

Wearables will get people adorning their wrists who otherwise wouldn’t have been in the market for any sort of watch. Then, when a proportion of these people start to earn the income that justifies it, they will want to signal their status by buying into luxury watches, having already been habituated to wearing a (different sort of) watch on their wrists.

Wearable tech may be the death of the lower end of the mechanical market though.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:59 PM   #74
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I do believe that the Rolex tide will ebb and flow among the younger generation but it will always be omnipresent.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:47 PM   #75
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
And also showing off.....as we all know there are plenty of people who buy watches as a statement or to fill some void in their makeup....if the world becomes less materialistic as we finally accept that stuff dont make the man then a large portion of would be buyers will dwindle.....or maybe not

Also true - watches will most likely still serve as a Veblen good for many.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:48 PM   #76
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
liking nice things and wanting to wear nice things can be internal and not an external signal. I dont buy cheap anything, but i dont buy it for other people its for me. Still probably meet the definition of " materialistic" though but where those possessions are aimed is different and its not to show anyone else anything.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:24 AM   #77
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
Had a conversation with a few buddies of mine and would like to hear these forums thoughts on the matter.

Incase I didn't make it clear with the title let me say this, will a 18 to 28 year old be interested in Rolex Watches let's say in the year 2030?

I think Rolex isn't going to dwindle down anytime soon, but my friends say that brands like Apple have shifted the way people look at watches. "Why look at a watch just for time when I could look at it for a text and/or email as well?" he claims would be the thought process of a person who is 23 in the year 2030.

I understand some of their points, technology is getting more and more advanced sooner than later. But will Luxury watches be something people look into in the future or will it be all about the digital or smart watch scene?

Maybe I'm biased but I think people like myself who purchased their first Rolex at 21 will still be out in the world in 2030/2040/2050 and so on... what do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I think the disposable tech business is getting old with the public and we can already see the slowdown with the newest iphones. People will start to realize that the watch ties them to the iphone more and not less as many people think. I for one and getting tired to charging 900 devices in my house everyday. Rolex and the like will always stand the test of time because they serve the function of time, but also can appear as jewelry. I mean many here wear their rolex as jewelry and not for the timekeeping. People have been wearing jewelry since the days of ancient Egypt.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:30 AM   #78
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I just think most younger folks use their cell phone for the time at this point. I would not expect a migration of the younger generation to all of a sudden wearing watches when they can afford them. They just don't see the point. Clearly, the watch companies are betting otherwise and keeping everything in short supply fuels interest and demand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:31 AM   #79
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Interesting question

I can imagine my Grandfather saying to himself, these pocket watches are great, everyone will have one.

I have his in my display stand.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:33 AM   #80
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post

This is quite the contrast to the picture I posted previously in this thread. Good thing my son is only on The Swatch Forum so he won’t see this and feel cheated....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:47 AM   #81
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Interesting question

I can imagine my Grandfather saying to himself, these pocket watches are great, everyone will have one.

I have his in my display stand.
Insofar as most reach into their pocket these days to grab their timekeeping device, your Grandfather was mostly correct.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:50 AM   #82
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I have no doubt that watches will rise in appeal amongst the millennial generation. They’re a generation that enjoys nice things, especially when you can flaunt it on IG. As soon as their disposable income catches up with their ability to flex on social media, watch sales will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 January 2019, 12:56 AM   #83
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My kid is about to turn 19. He wants a Rolex really bad. I got him a decent Movado with a Swiss automatic for Christmas. He’s just into mechanical watches. He still stares at my sub and talks about it all the time. I don’t think Rolex is going anywhere.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:56 AM   #84
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

I was picking up a new car last week, and the “genius” that goes over the car with you was a 21yo kid. He’s in the backseat, my CA in the passenger, and as we get started going over the tech he stops and says “Sir, is that a vintage meters first 5513”. We spent as much time talking watches as we did going over my car. The kid had on a baby and also has a milgauss and a vintage DJ. Hope isn’t lost on the young!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:27 AM   #85
leisen
"TRF" Member

I think that with the watches will happen the same thing that happened with the fine fountain pens. They will slowly fade away for the mass and just remain for a more educated minority, wealthy, and with a desire for style. Actually, wristwatches are already seen for many as extemporaneous, a kind of anachronism.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:30 AM   #86
dcdmq
"TRF" Member

I was not interested in Rolex until 2 years ago. My uncle always had a Rolex but I never bothered. Then one day I held it and put it on. It’s an age thing. You grow up, you become wiser. I bought my Datejust 3 days ago and every day I put it on, I smile.
dcdmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:34 AM   #87
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD D-BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Quick question regarding that......Is an Apple Watch really a watch, or is it a simple repeater? If permanently disconnected from cellular and wi-fi networks, do they still keep time?
They do still keep the time. I often leave my phone at home when out running with my Apple Watch.
Uga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:51 AM   #88
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Went to a hodinkee event last year. Most of the attendees are in their early 30s. The place was packed. My guess is if they are financially successful, they will be into luxury watches.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:04 AM   #89
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I just think most younger folks use their cell phone for the time at this point. I would not expect a migration of the younger generation to all of a sudden wearing watches when they can afford them. They just don't see the point.
This is the only point that I 100% agree with on the future of Mechanical Watches, I don't wanna say that this next generation of young adults are gonna be dumb cause that's not true but I guess the best I can come up with now is to say that most of them will be blind to the point of it.

Unless they look at it like a piece of jewelry it just won't make much sense to them.

My daughter who is turning 9 this year already wants a Rolex watch after seeing her young aunt get one for her 14th birthday. The only reason I believe she wants a Rolex is because she's being brought up around Rolex watches. I can't imagine people who are not brought up around them wanting one very often, most of my daughters friends want the newest iPhones or Video Games but because I limit my household on how much we are allowed to use technology my kids look to normal things instead of just electronics.

(don't get me wrong my daughter loves the Mario Karts and Zelda games of this world but it's a once in a while instead of being glued to it which I thank God for)

If anything I wrote doesn't make sense I will reread it and edit later literally just got up had a long night

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:18 AM   #90
BeastGC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Totally !

The son will be worse ...................
Still trying to figure out how this guy is famous? and why?
BeastGC is offline   Reply With Quote