The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 April 2015, 08:41 AM   #241
Montetime
"TRF" Member

Hi Vanessa,

My AD told me that any aftermarket bezels would be replaced at an RSC with Rolex originals and I would be charged. Is this true? I need to send my dad's 16013 in but was taken back when told this.

Montetime
Montetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 11:45 AM   #242
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montetime View Post
Hi Vanessa,

My AD told me that any aftermarket bezels would be replaced at an RSC with Rolex originals and I would be charged. Is this true? I need to send my dad's 16013 in but was taken back when told this.

Montetime
Yes. If it doesn't currently have a genuine bezel, Rolex will only agree to service the watch if they can restore it to original. They will provide an estimate first. If you decline the bezel they will send it back unrepaired.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 03:52 AM   #243
ticktack
Banned

Watch: rolex and others
vanessa, i thank you for all your hard work without you our rolex will not be happy.
ticktack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 02:47 AM   #244
Dldlaw
"TRF" Member

Cost of Repair

I have a model 1505 Rolex that needs an overhaul that may include a mainspring replacement as the watch is not keeping correct time. What does an overhaul with a mainspring replacement approximately cost?
Dldlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 09:13 PM   #245
Dhalperin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Wow, just noticed I have over 100,000 views on this post! Who would've ever thought?!
Google list this thread as a top search result for Rolex repair searches!
Dhalperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2015, 08:27 AM   #246
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalperin View Post
Google list this thread as a top search result for Rolex repair searches!
Ha! That's insane! :)

Old 12 July 2015, 01:20 PM   #247
Antoniopd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Ref 114060
I'm very late to this party but just want to say the original post is outstanding. Thanks much Vanessa!
Antoniopd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 03:10 AM   #248
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Getting ready to ship my beloved Sub to Vanessa at JOT for some TLC
Old 14 July 2015, 11:34 PM   #249
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Thanks Vanessa I always enjoy reading your comments, so what do you think of the new Rolex 10 year service interval? If im wearing my Rolex daily (Exp 2 216570) would 10 years too long? Any advice would be grateful, many thanks.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 08:51 AM   #250
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
Thanks Vanessa I always enjoy reading your comments, so what do you think of the new Rolex 10 year service interval? If im wearing my Rolex daily (Exp 2 216570) would 10 years too long? Any advice would be grateful, many thanks.
10 years is stretching it for sure on a daily wearer, but it really depends on how hard you are on the watch. I've seen watches in near perfect condition after 12 years of purchase, and I've seen watches completely torn to pieces in 4 years. I'd say wear it, enjoy it, and have it evaluated when you notice something's wrong, like poor timekeeping or small power reserve.

Old 28 July 2015, 09:26 AM   #251
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Thanks for your numerous explanations. I look forward to having you service my Rolexes when the time comes.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 04:50 PM   #252
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your help and advice Vanessa
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2015, 02:51 PM   #253
Tildi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedking 6430
Vanessa, I also want to thank you for all the great advice and especially patience you have shown to all of us "newbies" here at TRF through the years.

All the Best.
Tildi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 10:52 PM   #254
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Nice insight Vanessa. All over this site people say how good you are, I've never read one complaint keep up the good work and move to uk lol
Tarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 11:41 PM   #255
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarandy View Post
Nice insight Vanessa. All over this site people say how good you are, I've never read one complaint keep up the good work and move to uk lol
Lol. Thank you.

Sent from my phone.

Old 6 October 2015, 03:30 AM   #256
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Vanessa,

I do not know if you have seen the thread. They are planning on having another GTG in Beverly Hills on October 10. It would be great if you could join us.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=430775
Old 6 October 2015, 04:10 AM   #257
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Vanessa,

I do not know if you have seen the thread. They are planning on having another GTG in Beverly Hills on October 10. It would be great if you could join us.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=430775
I'll be in AZ that weekend. Maybe next time.

Sent from my phone.

Old 14 October 2015, 11:59 AM   #258
aayates
"TRF" Member

Vanessa -
Thanks for the informative posts. A question - my AD recently told me only rolex service centers have access to new rolex parts, but I've seen that many aftermarket watchmakers are said to have rolex parts accounts and can obtain them. He said they just say they can and it's not true. How does one know? I think my AD was trying to scare me into an RSC service (which worked), but next time I'd like to consider other options. Thanks for your insight.
Andy
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 12:03 PM   #259
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
Vanessa -
Thanks for the informative posts. A question - my AD recently told me only rolex service centers have access to new rolex parts, but I've seen that many aftermarket watchmakers are said to have rolex parts accounts and can obtain them. He said they just say they can and it's not true. How does one know? I think my AD was trying to scare me into an RSC service (which worked), but next time I'd like to consider other options. Thanks for your insight.
Andy
Hi Andy
There aren't very many independents with Rolex accounts around. Your AD may not know better.

Sent from my phone.

Old 14 October 2015, 12:19 PM   #260
aayates
"TRF" Member

Don't quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Hi Andy
There aren't very many independents with Rolex accounts around. Your AD may not know better.

Sent from my phone.
So then you have a rolex account? Is there a designation or some way to identify independents that do? I'm wondering what I'll do in 10 years if you've retired!
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 12:30 PM   #261
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
So then you have a rolex account? Is there a designation or some way to identify independents that do? I'm wondering what I'll do in 10 years if you've retired!
I won't retire anytime soon.... I'm only 35

Sent from my phone.

Old 20 October 2015, 04:02 AM   #262
ghosteh
"TRF" Member

Watch: pepsi 16750
Vanessa recently did a great job servicing my daily-worn 16750 GMT! Honestly, I was a little apprehensive about sending it across the country for service, but in the end I'm very glad that I did. There were no problems. Not only is she very competent, but she's aware of issues which surround vintage watches and maintaining originality.

I wouldn't hesitate to send another watch to her for work, and I will be sending this one again in 2020 (or maybe 2021 if I get lazy).

ghosteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 04:26 AM   #263
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosteh View Post
Vanessa recently did a great job servicing my daily-worn 16750 GMT! Honestly, I was a little apprehensive about sending it across the country for service, but in the end I'm very glad that I did. There were no problems. Not only is she very competent, but she's aware of issues which surround vintage watches and maintaining originality.

I wouldn't hesitate to send another watch to her for work, and I will be sending this one again in 2020 (or maybe 2021 if I get lazy).

Thank you.

Sent from my phone.

Old 15 November 2015, 01:18 AM   #264
shortstop
"TRF" Member

Let me share my experiences with Rolex. I bought a new Oyster Precision Date in 1971 for $160 and it has been my daily wearer since. Twenty seven years of flying jets in the USAF, G forces, electromagnetic fields, banging around the cockpit from the Vietnam War and forward. Then tens of thousands of shotgun rounds, high powered rifle rounds including 50 cal, thousands of miles of bicycling in heat and rain, chainsaw and axe chopping, mountain climbing, swimming, tennis, all sorts of activities that are hard on a watch.

It was serviced twice over 42 years, total of maybe $500, and finally the mainspring broke a couple months ago. So new seals, mainspring, rotor and bushing were shot, new glass, case polished, several new small parts, total $1000 from a Rolex accredited maker. So now its good for a long time to come and keeps perfect time.

A couple years ago I treated myself to a new Perpetual Datejust in gold and stainless, which is a fine watch and may be made better than the old one.

A person can always complain about cost, and maintaining items of quality always costs, but no complaints from me.
shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2015, 01:17 PM   #265
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop View Post
Let me share my experiences with Rolex. I bought a new Oyster Precision Date in 1971 for $160 and it has been my daily wearer since. Twenty seven years of flying jets in the USAF, G forces, electromagnetic fields, banging around the cockpit from the Vietnam War and forward. Then tens of thousands of shotgun rounds, high powered rifle rounds including 50 cal, thousands of miles of bicycling in heat and rain, chainsaw and axe chopping, mountain climbing, swimming, tennis, all sorts of activities that are hard on a watch.

It was serviced twice over 42 years, total of maybe $500, and finally the mainspring broke a couple months ago. So new seals, mainspring, rotor and bushing were shot, new glass, case polished, several new small parts, total $1000 from a Rolex accredited maker. So now its good for a long time to come and keeps perfect time.

A couple years ago I treated myself to a new Perpetual Datejust in gold and stainless, which is a fine watch and may be made better than the old one.

A person can always complain about cost, and maintaining items of quality always costs, but no complaints from me.
Pics or it didn't happen
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2015, 03:58 PM   #266
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop View Post

Thanks for your service

Old 25 November 2015, 01:00 AM   #267
shortstop
"TRF" Member

Rolex Photos

as requested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (28.2 KB, 436 views)
shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2015, 09:39 AM   #268
digivandig
"TRF" Member

Great thread, very informative. Will definitely consider using you, Vanessa, the next time my sub needs servicing.
digivandig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2015, 07:01 PM   #269
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGibson View Post
Thanks for replying so quickly Vanessa. The problem is that the bezel is quite stiff (even when pushing down) and you cannot feel or hear any of those 120 "clicks." I was mainly scared that it might be a problem which would be virtually unfixable (i.e., something wrong with the case), but in looking around this site and the internet I see that the detents are in the bezel ring, not in the case, so even if they were somehow worn smooth the worst would require a new bezel ring. The way it is made, that seems unlikely--I'm betting the detent spring is either bound up somehow or missing. The seller is a good guy, so I'm hoping he will have his watch smith fix it for me. If not, I'll pop the bezel off myself and have a look. Anyway, thanks again for getting back. You need to set up a donation bucket for all this excellent and free advice!
The GMT does not have 120 clicks that's only on the dive watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2015, 04:36 AM   #270
kingsley
"TRF" Member

Bracelet

Hi Guys,

I have recently broken my stainless steel bracelet on my GMT, have sent to Rolex for a quote will a repair be included in a service? it has come apart from the first link from the case.
kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote