The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2018, 03:59 AM   #91
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I think the UK market may be the last to fall even though it was the first to rise. So much foreign money there to keep dealers busy it keeps the demand side strong even in the face of faltering global markets. Just my thoughts I don’t really know crap about the UK
With GBP weakening in strength, it brings in more foreign buyers to the UK, which probably adds to the existing supply.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:43 AM   #92
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I think the UK market may be the last to fall even though it was the first to rise. So much foreign money there to keep dealers busy it keeps the demand side strong even in the face of faltering global markets. Just my thoughts I don’t really know crap about the UK
It's like Hollywood, nobody knows anything any more We all thought things were toppy at the end of 2017 and yet here we are a year later. There is a ton of money here, not all of it white, and the Pound is weakening as a no deal hard Brexit draws closer, so there are reasons for demand to still exist, but then a hard Brexit could hurt the markets so reasons to be cautious too, hence the oversupply at dealers.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:03 AM   #93
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's like Hollywood, nobody knows anything any more We all thought things were toppy at the end of 2017 and yet here we are a year later. There is a ton of money here, not all of it white, and the Pound is weakening as a no deal hard Brexit draws closer, so there are reasons for demand to still exist, but then a hard Brexit could hurt the markets so reasons to be cautious too, hence the oversupply at dealers.
i still go back to that thread about the 5711 blue dial being at 37 and everyone calling a top....last year

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=551961

hilarious in retrospect

Here is a gem from Dmash: "You're some kind of special if you would pay $37.5k for a 5711" - Aug 1, 2017
Thats a signature worthy quote right there with the date attached
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:08 AM   #94
KetaPatek
"TRF" Member

new full set 5217g just sold by gray for $45,500 < retail + tax.

all markets will collapse w/in 1-1.5yrs, from fake stawks to propped up real estate and the silly art market, etc. etc.
KetaPatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:25 AM   #95
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i still go back to that thread about the 5711 blue dial being at 37 and everyone calling a top....last year

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=551961

hilarious in retrospect

Here is a gem from Dmash: "You're some kind of special if you would pay $37.5k for a 5711" - Aug 1, 2017
Thats a signature worthy quote right there with the date attached
History makes fools of us all. I was just watching the Big Short and those subprime CDOs that collapsed the world economy that many are still paying for... well, like Arnie, they're back.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:12 AM   #96
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
History makes fools of us all.
Post #28 kind-of nailed it?
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 11:52 AM   #97
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
How did your AD get to know this so far in advance of Basel? General expectation has been for the P to be retired.
Somehow AD misunderstood me when I was referring "World Timer", they thought I was talking about 5230 instead. For 5131 its possible to be discontinued but nothing is confirmed yet.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:07 PM   #98
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats weird as HK is probably the biggest market. I guess technically the US is but based on size/population HK has got to be the biggest purchaser per capita in the world. Personally i like to see my city on the city ring and especially so when it should be there functionally as thats also where people travel to and go for business probably more than Beijing.
To correct myself, AD was referring 5230 instead of 5131, nothing is confirmed for 5131.

I agree with you, HK is the single largest market by average per capita. HK=watch heaven, it has the most stunning watch, I have even seen 2 5531R at grays in HK, which is insane.

Answering why they change HK to Beijing instead, certainly China is a rising power especially in term of purchasing power, so I wont be surprised if PP trying to pleasure Chinese market.
Old 19 December 2018, 12:24 PM   #99
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa666 View Post
To correct myself, AD was referring 5230 instead of 5131, nothing is confirmed for 5131.

I agree with you, HK is the single largest market by average per capita. HK=watch heaven, it has the most stunning watch, I have even seen 2 5531R at grays in HK, which is insane.

Answering why they change HK to Beijing instead, certainly China is a rising power especially in term of purchasing power, so I wont be surprised if PP trying to pleasure Chinese market.
5531R is an absolutely stunning watch and greys are charging 100% premium on that watch! A Patek director told me that the demand for 5531 was insane and the watch would be discontinued even before they go through 1/3 of the list.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 03:56 PM   #100
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
5531R is an absolutely stunning watch and greys are charging 100% premium on that watch! A Patek director told me that the demand for 5531 was insane and the watch would be discontinued even before they go through 1/3 of the list.
AD told me the annual production was only 7, so i was so shocked to see 2 of them were available at grey dealers in HK.
Old 19 December 2018, 05:02 PM   #101
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Post #28 kind-of nailed it?
Kind of but he was just adding a large premium with the assumption of it being discontinued so he wasn’t really on to anything.

I was way off. I said I felt sorry for people paying over retail then bought one (my second) for 42k a year later
Old 20 December 2018, 01:16 AM   #102
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Definitely one of my favourite pieces I saw at the Salon. It was amazing getting to hear it chime and admire the dial. Already an expensive enough piece... but to go for double on the grey market really speaks volumes!

tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 09:00 AM   #103
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
I am definitely in the minority who is really glad Patek limits the production of Aquanaut and Nautilus. It appeared ‘everyone’ jumped on the bandwagon and those are all they purchase. To Patek those sports models do not represent the pedigree of their brand - they do not want to be another AP, an essentially one-product company.

Hype aside, I find the nautilus or aquanaut the least aesthetically pleasing among other Genta design watches such the RO or the original Ingeniur...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote