The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2016, 09:35 PM   #271
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknik10 View Post
I have couple pairs of John Lobbs great shoes but I really love my Churchs Alligator I picked up in Marina Bay Sands mall in Singapore this weekend.
Nice!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 12:02 AM   #272
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknik10 View Post
I have couple pairs of John Lobbs great shoes but I really love my Churchs Alligator I picked up in Marina Bay Sands mall in Singapore this weekend.
Great looking shoes
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 01:56 AM   #273
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very sharp!
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 09:13 AM   #274
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & a Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Very nice, you'll have to post your Vibergs when you get the chance as well.

These Vibergs arrived Friday
Reversed Shell Cordovan

Pte6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 09:24 AM   #275
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Alden Reverse Earth w/Crepe sole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11 April 2016, 09:56 AM   #276
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pte6000 View Post
Reversed Shell Cordovan
Super cool 👍🏻
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 10:33 AM   #277
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Reversed Shell Cordovan

Nice

These are different. Actually I just saw these somewhere else today.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 April 2016, 11:12 AM   #278
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice

These are different. Actually I just saw these somewhere else today.

Yeah they sold out very quickly in preorder w/Viberg
I can't wait to see how they age, I have a lot of shoes and these right now might be the best pair I've ever owned.

So different, so we'll made! A true work of art!
Old 11 April 2016, 11:36 AM   #279
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah they sold out very quickly in preorder w/Viberg
I can't wait to see how they age, I have a lot of shoes and these right now might be the best pair I've ever owned.

So different, so we'll made! A true work of art!
As far as I know Vibergs are at the top of its class for this particular aesthetic. The only other I know of would be Truman, but they are a much smaller operation and their Last isn't quite as pleasing in my opinion. But Truman cost a good deal less and the quality of leather and their construction is on par with Viberg.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2016, 06:53 AM   #280
belk7
"TRF" Member

G&G MTO Ishams arrived this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 06:55 AM   #281
belk7
"TRF" Member

My original Split Toe suede derby order did not work out as planned. Ended up going to Carmina for a very suitable plan B.

Old 24 April 2016, 09:35 AM   #282
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belk7 View Post
My original Split Toe suede derby order did not work out as planned. Ended up going to Carmina for a very suitable plan B.

Nice!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2016, 09:39 AM   #283
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
G&G MTO Ishams arrived this week

Sharp!!

Black Hatchgrain?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2016, 09:46 AM   #284
belk7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sharp!!

Black Hatchgrain?

Yes. Double Danite sole, storm welt, and my favorite MH71 last. It was just under eight weeks from order to my door, which I find very reasonable. I like these quite a bit. BTW, Your Kudu versions are fantastic.
Old 24 April 2016, 10:02 AM   #285
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Double Danite sole, storm welt, and my favorite MH71 last. It was just under eight weeks from order to my door, which I find very reasonable. I like these quite a bit. BTW, Your Kudu versions are fantastic.
The only thing I wasn't sure of was the leather. I think the MH71 is a perfect fit for these shoes. Thank you, I just wish I could have convinced the others in my group to go with a Dainite sole.

As great as the Dover is, I think I actually prefer the Isham just a little bit more.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2016, 12:01 PM   #286
swils8610

Nice shoes guys. I was fortunate enough to get in on an Alden cigar order a couple weeks ago. It's going to be a long 4 to 6 month wait!!
Old 24 April 2016, 12:48 PM   #287
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Nice shoes guys. I was fortunate enough to get in on an Alden cigar order a couple weeks ago. It's going to be a long 4 to 6 month wait!!
I know that's not always that easy to get in on, Congrats!!

Which shoe, split toe?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2016, 01:48 PM   #288
swils8610

Three were split toes available?!! I got in on the Alden Madison make up of cap toe medallions. I really want some exotic LWB or LHS penny exotic.
Old 24 April 2016, 02:00 PM   #289
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Three were split toes available?!! I got in on the Alden Madison make up of cap toe medallions. I really want some exotic LWB or LHS penny exotic.
Captoes are nice. Personally I like their split toes, tanker boots, and loafers.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2016, 02:06 PM   #290
swils8610

Same here Dan. I figured I should take what I could get seeing how hard exotics are to get.
Old 24 April 2016, 02:34 PM   #291
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same here Dan. I figured I should take what I could get seeing how hard exotics are to get.
Sometimes it pays to wait. Better in the end to wait for what you want rather than to take just whatever is available.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 April 2016, 08:44 PM   #292
Abdullah71601
Banned

I tried on some G&G shoes today. Nick Anderson from Bespoke England was in Dubai for holiday and was gracious enough to bring some samples. The MH71 last in a 9F was a perfect fit (felt like it was made for me).

Nick said that the fit won't change much going to other of their lasts because the differences were more in the toe shape than the body of the shoe. Has that been you all's experience with G&G?
Old 27 April 2016, 05:48 AM   #293
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I tried on some G&G shoes today. Nick Anderson from Bespoke England was in Dubai for holiday and was gracious enough to bring some samples. The MH71 last in a 9F was a perfect fit (felt like it was made for me).

Nick said that the fit won't change much going to other of their lasts because the differences were more in the toe shape than the body of the shoe. Has that been you all's experience with G&G?
I tried a few different lasts before ordering my pair of Thorpes. The difference was subtle and I actually choose a GG06 last eventually based on slightly better fit around toes and look of the shoe.

So, what did you order...?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 05:55 AM   #294
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, G&Gs Lasts across the board are supposed to be all the same with the exception of the Toe box. However Decco maybe a bit more narrow throughout. Besides Decco the one that may give you more issues might be the TG73 because that is their chisel Last. As such it has the least room in the toe box as far as I know.

Currently I have one pair in the TG73 and a few in the MH71.

G&G makes some really great shoes. I would highly recommend the St James II on the MH71 Last as well as the Isham and the Thorpe. They also make one of the best chukkas (Arran) if you ask me. Their Sinatra is a killer wholecut if your interested in those kind of things and a great Jodphur if you ask me as well. Ive been thinking about getting their Warrick in Vintage Oak for awhile now.

If I were you I would check out their website and Skoaktiebolaget's website if you have yet to do so.

I would also highly encourage you to keep an eye on any possible GMTOs on the Styleforum website.

Good Luck,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 April 2016, 11:01 AM   #295
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I tried a few different lasts before ordering my pair of Thorpes. The difference was subtle and I actually choose a GG06 last eventually based on slightly better fit around toes and look of the shoe.

So, what did you order...?
I like the St James II, but can't decide on vintage cherry or vintage cedar. I also like the Monaco (thinking vintage oak).

Quote:
Yes, G&Gs Lasts across the board are supposed to be all the same with the exception of the Toe box. However Decco maybe a bit more narrow throughout. Besides Decco the one that may give you more issues might be the TG73 because that is their chisel Last. As such it has the least room in the toe box as far as I know.

Currently I have one pair in the TG73 and a few in the MH71.

G&G makes some really great shoes. I would highly recommend the St James II on the MH71 Last as well as the Isham and the Thorpe. They also make one of the best chukkas (Arran) if you ask me. Their Sinatra is a killer wholecut if your interested in those kind of things and a great Jodphur if you ask me as well. Ive been thinking about getting their Warrick in Vintage Oak for awhile now.

If I were you I would check out their website and Skoaktiebolaget's website if you have yet to do so.

I would also highly encourage you to keep an eye on any possible GMTOs on the Styleforum website.

Good Luck,

Dan
Thanks Dan. I've been to both websites a few times. It's interesting that the MTO from G&G is more affordable than the RTW at the John Lobb boutique in Dubai.

My fit issues with most lasts seem to be with the instep and heel. I think the toe box can be narrower as long as the body of the shoe wears the same.

The next challenge is to sort out their color pallet and sole selection. The samples were all black and the websites aren't quite the same in color representation. And, I'm curious if anyone has tried the Wensum or Dainite soles (understand the Dainite maybe a thicker look).
Old 27 April 2016, 11:53 AM   #296
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like the St James II, but can't decide on vintage cherry or vintage cedar. I also like the Monaco (thinking vintage oak).

Thanks Dan. I've been to both websites a few times. It's interesting that the MTO from G&G is more affordable than the RTW at the John Lobb boutique in Dubai.

My fit issues with most lasts seem to be with the instep and heel. I think the toe box can be narrower as long as the body of the shoe wears the same.

The next challenge is to sort out their color pallet and sole selection. The samples were all black and the websites aren't quite the same in color representation. And, I'm curious if anyone has tried the Wensum or Dainite soles (understand the Dainite maybe a thicker look).
John Lobb has always cost just a bit more, especially their prestige line. But that's just the cost of buying some of the best RTW shoes with probably the best quality leather money can buy.

Have you looked at the Skoaktiebolaget G&G MTO page? They have a fairly good representation of the Lasts, leathers colors, and soles. Yes, both EG and G&G have a thinner or dressy rubber sole. EG has their R1 and G&G has the Wensum sole. EG and G&G as well as most shoemakers offer the Dainite sole which is just a bit thicker but it works equally well for boots and more casual or foul weather shoes. EG also has the Ridgeway sole which is more rugged sole. I own shoes and boots with all of these soles with the exception of the Wensum sole.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 April 2016, 12:24 PM   #297
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

By the way you wouldn't be the first to have more than one pair of St James. By the way they look pretty good in Polo Suede as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 April 2016, 01:35 PM   #298
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
By the way you wouldn't be the first to have more than one pair of St James. By the way they look pretty good in Polo Suede as well.
I'm leaning more toward cedar in the St James because my small collection lacks a medium brown and my JL Warwick Derby's are burgundy, though the cherry images online do sing to me. I did fill out the MTO form on the G&G website for the St James II in Cedar, but I'm not locked in quite yet. I could be over thinking this...

I think a dark brown loafer goes well with most any smart casual attire, so vintage oak is likely locked in for the Monaco.
Old 27 April 2016, 07:20 PM   #299
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm leaning more toward cedar in the St James because my small collection lacks a medium brown and my JL Warwick Derby's are burgundy, though the cherry images online do sing to me. I did fill out the MTO form on the G&G website for the St James II in Cedar, but I'm not locked in quite yet. I could be over thinking this...

I think a dark brown loafer goes well with most any smart casual attire, so vintage oak is likely locked in for the Monaco.
I actually have the St James in Vintage Cedar Calf and Tan Kudu. Vintage Cedar is a great color.

I've also thought about getting the Monaco in in Vintage Oak and I have no choice but to do so via MTO since I will need one a half size smaller than the other since one of my feet is a half size smaller. Not sure if I will or not as this is one type of shoe where fit is extremely important and I will not be able to try on before it is ordered.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 April 2016, 08:43 PM   #300
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I actually have the St James in Vintage Cedar Calf and Tan Kudu. Vintage Cedar is a great color.

I've also thought about getting the Monaco in in Vintage Oak and I have no choice but to do so via MTO since I will need one a half size smaller than the other since one of my feet is a half size smaller. Not sure if I will or not as this is one type of shoe where fit is extremely important and I will not be able to try on before it is ordered.
Those are awesome! The color is perfect.

Were they much difference in price than a standard calf MTO? I would pay more for that design, not alligator more though.