The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2020, 07:36 AM   #61
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
. No, not new, I've been collecting watches for many years and have a few desired models, I know how the game works. Just annoyed that I clearly explained that the 5990 is the ONLY watch I'm currently in the market for, but PS seemed to ignore that while pushing other watches.
Sales was trying to give you an out. He obviously wasn’t able to sell you a 5990.
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 07:44 AM   #62
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Freak View Post
Sales was trying to give you an out. He obviously wasn’t able to sell you a 5990.
Yes, indeed.

I'm sure every salesperson would love to sell Nauts immediately if they could. I mean, at this point, ADs are still losing a lot of business because they keep having to turn people away.

Sadly, Patek doesn't want that. So, they can't.

Truth is, if you want a 5990 brand new, at retail, you have to pay to play. Either you pay grey, or you pay by building up other pieces in your collection from that AD.

Otherwise, there's really nothing stopping you from flipping the 5990 other than integrity and trust.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 03:31 PM   #63
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

I've given it some thought and I think I'll start talking to AD more directly about what is the path to 5990. First conversation was OK, but I'll continue having a serious discussion on this.

I really do want to get one from Patek AD vs. grey. Only reason I'd consider grey is if the price was under MSRP, which we all know is absolutely not the case with Nautilus; and I don't think it ever will. I actually feel like the Nautilus is going to be one of those watches that will be still be highly desired for many years to come.

I will eventually add a 5990 and 5711 to my collection. It will take time and I'm OK with that.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 03:55 PM   #64
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've given it some thought and I think I'll start talking to AD more directly about what is the path to 5990. First conversation was OK, but I'll continue having a serious discussion on this.

I really do want to get one from Patek AD vs. grey. Only reason I'd consider grey is if the price was under MSRP, which we all know is absolutely not the case with Nautilus; and I don't think it ever will. I actually feel like the Nautilus is going to be one of those watches that will be still be highly desired for many years to come.

I will eventually add a 5990 and 5711 to my collection. It will take time and I'm OK with that.

it seems like they already told you what the path is and your reaction was to post on this forum telling everyone how annoyed you were about it
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 04:11 PM   #65
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
it seems like they already told you what the path is and your reaction was to post on this forum telling everyone how annoyed you were about it
Exactly...!

The path are what you'd posted already and you are annoyed about it

Quote:
PS also said things like:
- Many clients have 2, 3, 4, 5 Pateks before buying a Nautilus
- I can get you a 5980/AR before I can get you a 5990
- My clients spend $200k, etc.
- Patek has to approve client before we can sell them a 5990
- We get a lot of 5990 in our store
- Looked up 5990 grey prices on their phone and showed it to me

Anyways... Just a bit annoyed about the whole pushiness.
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 04:14 PM   #66
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I meant is that I will have another sit down with the AD to discuss what I need to buy to get the 5990. Basically put together a plan that is a more concrete path to 5990 vs. suggestions (which is basically what the AD was doing). There are some other things I want to buy for myself and wifey, so will discuss if those will help towards a 5990.
Old 17 September 2020, 05:26 PM   #67
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I meant is that I will have another sit down with the AD to discuss what I need to buy to get the 5990. Basically put together a plan that is a more concrete path to 5990 vs. suggestions (which is basically what the AD was doing). There are some other things I want to buy for myself and wifey, so will discuss if those will help towards a 5990.
Good luck but sounds like you will need to spend some serious cash and it might not happen very quickly...
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:54 AM   #68
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Unfortunately they already hinted to you to spend big money with them before any consideration for the 5990. I don't think meeting in person will make any difference they already said show me the money and spend it on other Pateks.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 05:49 AM   #69
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yeah, people are looking for HIGH quality and FPJ gets the nod and is hot for sure. What other brands are TRF suggested to avoid PP problems?

Trojan, lifestyles, durex for starters.
Old 18 September 2020, 06:32 AM   #70
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Trojan, lifestyles, durex for starters.
Chewie would be proud
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 02:34 AM   #71
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I understand what you meant, but I don't expect most ADs would tell you exactly how much you have to spend or exactly what you have to buy... the thing that's normally required is to play the very game you seem to be annoyed by--spend lots of $ and build up a friendly relationship.

Good luck and hopefully I'm wrong 🤷*♂️
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 02:29 PM   #72
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand what you meant, but I don't expect most ADs would tell you exactly how much you have to spend or exactly what you have to buy... the thing that's normally required is to play the very game you seem to be annoyed by--spend lots of $ and build up a friendly relationship.

Good luck and hopefully I'm wrong 🤷*♂️
Valid points that (1) I'm annoyed a bit, and (2) most AD's won't tell you how much to spend as I've talked to a few others as well. I'm also having a bit of second thoughts after having a conversation with my wife about general state of things and concerns about longer term economical impact from COVID related lockdowns, civic unrest and God knows what will happen around/after election times. I've talked to a few people who are senior leaders at big companies, and even they are concerned about elections. Thankfully I can afford the watch now, but part of me says to hold off a few months and see what will happen next year.
Old 19 September 2020, 04:29 PM   #73
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Valid points that (1) I'm annoyed a bit, and (2) most AD's won't tell you how much to spend as I've talked to a few others as well. I'm also having a bit of second thoughts after having a conversation with my wife about general state of things and concerns about longer term economical impact from COVID related lockdowns, civic unrest and God knows what will happen around/after election times. I've talked to a few people who are senior leaders at big companies, and even they are concerned about elections. Thankfully I can afford the watch now, but part of me says to hold off a few months and see what will happen next year.
Smart choice nothing more unnecessary than spending $100k plus when you don’t really know what the future holds. Seems like cliche wisdom but only buy these things when you got no second thoughts about the money thats why I have not been going as big as I could have ... can’t promise I won’t do anything stupid soon though if one of my bigger deals closes :)
Old 20 September 2020, 06:59 AM   #74
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Smart choice nothing more unnecessary than spending $100k plus when you don’t really know what the future holds. Seems like cliche wisdom but only buy these things when you got no second thoughts about the money thats why I have not been going as big as I could have ... can’t promise I won’t do anything stupid soon though if one of my bigger deals closes :)
Agree - if I can buy a 5990 just straight up, that’s not bad. But if I have to spend $100k+ on things I don’t need nor want just to be even considered, it doesn’t sounds like a wise choice atm. Now that I think about it more, I remember the sales person mentioned $250k several times, probably hinting I need to spend at least that much to be considered.

And @dauster, I wish you absolute best luck in your deal! Hope it closes really successfully so you can spoil yourself with something super cool.
Old 20 September 2020, 07:22 AM   #75
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree - if I can buy a 5990 just straight up, that’s not bad. But if I have to spend $100k+ on things I don’t need nor want just to be even considered, it doesn’t sounds like a wise choice atm. Now that I think about it more, I remember the sales person mentioned $250k several times, probably hinting I need to spend at least that much to be considered.

And @dauster, I wish you absolute best luck in your deal! Hope it closes really successfully so you can spoil yourself with something super cool.
Thanks as of now it looks pretty good ... looking at end of October for my deal to close but just like everyone the only PP I want is a hot piece (5164A) so not sure what to do - maybe I get another AP they have more availability at the lower price end of luxury watches around $30k
Old 22 September 2020, 02:07 AM   #76
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately you are in a terrible position with this AD, especially since you are having to ASK them for the watch you want and for them to carve you a path to getting one.

It's like a sheep asking a wolf where it should hide.

These situations seem to stem from oneitis. You don't want other watches except this one. That's a problem in these situations because of what you are competing with for limited AD resources.

Other watch collectors who are completely into Patek and have the means to fully immerse in the brand, usually don't have these issues as they meet the purchase requirements organically by simply pursuing their passion. The AD will offer them the "hawt" pieces when they have one and that is an effortless path.

So, in the case of the OP, not only is he competing against passionate Patek collectors who have organically blazed their path (which can lead to very high spends to compare against)...now the dealer KNOWS what you are about and will likely stick it to you for you to get what you REALLY want. They set the bar now. No bueno.

Based on your oneitis, the current Patek market, your desire only for an AD sourced watch and future economic concerns, I would pass on this endeavour.

Perhaps the market will completely tank and the dealer will end up calling you with an extra 5990 that lost its way. Not likely, but who knows.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:29 AM   #77
Vipes
"TRF" Member

The SA already gave you a hint by saying she has clients who spent 200K. My guess is they won’t give you specifics like buy these 2 pieces first then you’ll get the 5990 in x amount of time. If you are serious then I would play the bundling game. Buying the required pieces and 5990 all at once.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 03:27 AM   #78
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
If you are serious then I would play the bundling game. Buying the required pieces and 5990 all at once.
This.

Contact or better visit a few ADs to test the market for possible bundles.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:21 AM   #79
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

To many hoops to jump through. Go gray market and buy what you want.
Old 22 September 2020, 08:40 AM   #80
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Unfortunately you are in a terrible position with this AD, especially since you are having to ASK them for the watch you want and for them to carve you a path to getting one.

It's like a sheep asking a wolf where it should hide.

These situations seem to stem from oneitis. You don't want other watches except this one. That's a problem in these situations because of what you are competing with for limited AD resources.

Other watch collectors who are completely into Patek and have the means to fully immerse in the brand, usually don't have these issues as they meet the purchase requirements organically by simply pursuing their passion. The AD will offer them the "hawt" pieces when they have one and that is an effortless path.

So, in the case of the OP, not only is he competing against passionate Patek collectors who have organically blazed their path (which can lead to very high spends to compare against)...now the dealer KNOWS what you are about and will likely stick it to you for you to get what you REALLY want. They set the bar now. No bueno.

Based on your oneitis, the current Patek market, your desire only for an AD sourced watch and future economic concerns, I would pass on this endeavour.

Perhaps the market will completely tank and the dealer will end up calling you with an extra 5990 that lost its way. Not likely, but who knows.
Agreed, OP will need to find a new AD and play the game. Their relationship with this one is already shot.
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:39 PM   #81
Partekular
"TRF" Member

ADs are not all the same. Some have snobby types who treat you like a tricksy impoverished flipper. Laugh at them when they suggest, totally absurdly, that you buy a watch you don’t want.

For sure flippers are annoying but very useful to PP as they boost the seeming second hand prices which are achievable making PPs seem worth more as an investment.

Watches are not an investment, in the main, more an affliction. You need to be half daft to spend that much on a watch. (Don’t ask me how I know.)

It is as if PP are encouraging flippers to raise enough money so that they can buy an even more expensive model.

ADs need to be honest and state that certain models are manufactured in such small quantities they are effectively unobtainable. The whole waiting/wish list thing is a demand scam. You can’t have it so you want it more. How many ADs stick to first come first served? Very Few I suspect.

PP Rule of thumb - if there’s a PP in the window it doesn’t sell. If its not in the window you can’t have it.

That said, you can get lucky!!! ADs get their two allocations twice a year, I have been told, and they don’t know in advance what they’ll be given. Try in Jan/Feb and Sep/Oct perhaps?

Covid has reduced production by half and now they are Social distancing in the factory so supply will be further constrained.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 12:18 AM   #82
Dave93
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone, I just signed up I wanted to tell you and ask you for advice on my experience with my AD in Switzerland.
3 years ago through a family contact I managed to get a 5711-1A in 9 months and a few months later I bought a calatrava 5227r- 001 which was immediately available. 2 years ago I asked the same AD for a 5980 1R and after numerous contacts where AD told the same things that they have not seen this model for 4 years that patek does not favor sport models... honestly it seems very strange to me because when I bought the first nautilus the AD did not even know me while today after 2 purchases and several years of knowledge and friendships in common I seem to find myself facing an impossible mission.
what do you think? sorry if my english is not perfect
Dave93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 02:49 AM   #83
Partekular
"TRF" Member

It’s true about steel ... https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...tches-nautilus.

Personally I find the Nautilus ugly and do not understand why it is in such demand. I favour Rolex or IWC for my rough and tumble watches. I think Patek is about the complications.

It may be that due to the virus lockdown and now the limited and spaced-out working practices that PP are suffering means that they are concentrating on the precious metal output. The demand for the 5212A (over rated when seen in the metal IMO )must be eating into their steel production capacity allowance.

So on balance I don’t think you are being treated badly, it’s PPs supply limited and price maintaining output which is likely to be the cause.

Some AD’s are frustrated that they cannot get you what you want and are rude, dreadful and to be avoided!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 06:23 AM   #84
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a bit of rant, but also wanted to hear if anyone had similar experience. Went to an ADs yesterday to discuss purchasing a 5990. Set up an appointment in advance with one of their "Patek Specialists". At first the conversation started with usual pleasantries, intro's, shared my passion for watches and some of the pieces I have in my collection.

PS (Patek Specialist) then for the next 20 or so minutes proceeded heavily (I mean very heavily) pushing me to buy other Pateks. Brought out a catalog and took several pieces out of the case saying I should buy this or that. I clearly expressed that my decision to purchase a 5990 is one I have thought thru very thoroughly, explained why I particularly want the 5990, and that I have looked at every current Patek model and have no interest in any other models at this time.

I understand the whole relationship idea, but it got to a point where I said I need to go because the conversation wasn't getting anywhere.

PS also said things like:
- Many clients have 2, 3, 4, 5 Pateks before buying a Nautilus
- I can get you a 5980/AR before I can get you a 5990
- My clients spend $200k, etc.
- Patek has to approve client before we can sell them a 5990
- We get a lot of 5990 in our store
- Looked up 5990 grey prices on their phone and showed it to me

Anyways... Just a bit annoyed about the whole pushiness.
Did you let them know before or during making the appointment that you were looking to buy a 5990 with no purchase history.

If not and it was just a general appointment, I think you are quite naive to think they are going to just randomly sell you a 5990 which is selling grey for at least double retail. No store is about to basically hand you £40k ($55k usd). That’s more extreme than thinking you can make an appointment in a Rolex boutique and just buy a panda daytona with no purchase history... not gonna happen in a million years

They sounded very polite to me and probably tried to avoid any embarrassment in front of someone so wet behind the ears.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 05:12 PM   #85
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

Just perhaps one remark as food for thought - you said that one reason why you're tentative to buy other models is that they retain value worse than the SS models.
If you could easily buy a 5990, then everybody could - and that would mean that it would lose 40% of its value when leaving the store. Or would you buy a used watch at retail from a third party when you could buy it without waiting lists from the store?
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 07:28 PM   #86
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave93 View Post
Hi everyone, I just signed up I wanted to tell you and ask you for advice on my experience with my AD in Switzerland.
3 years ago through a family contact I managed to get a 5711-1A in 9 months and a few months later I bought a calatrava 5227r- 001 which was immediately available. 2 years ago I asked the same AD for a 5980 1R and after numerous contacts where AD told the same things that they have not seen this model for 4 years that patek does not favor sport models... honestly it seems very strange to me because when I bought the first nautilus the AD did not even know me while today after 2 purchases and several years of knowledge and friendships in common I seem to find myself facing an impossible mission.
what do you think? sorry if my english is not perfect
You got a 5711 on spec and the 5227 was you repaying the favor. You’re not gonna get a 5990/1R without splurging for at least one other complicated watch.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 09:28 PM   #87
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Would probably need $500k expenditure before being remotely considered for a 5980 1R
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote