The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 29 December 2008, 05:14 PM   #1
ALTAADAM007

Warning****problems with carl greve portland oregon****warning

Hey Guys and Gals,

I live in an area with only one authorized Panerai dealer. As such I have little alternative to buying online, but I like to keep my business local if I can. In the past year I have bought:

Rolex GMT IIC
Breitling Bentley GT
Several pieces of women's jewelry (diamonds and such)

all in an effort to keep in good graces with the dealer for future purchases.

RECENTLY, wife allowed me to make a post-Christmas Panerai purchase! YEE HA right!? She had gone with me to view some pieces at their downtown location and knew I had my eye on a PAM176.

So I phoned my regular guy at Carl Greve Bridgeport Village. HE explains he can't get Panerai from their sister store in downtown Portland. But, if I phone Jim and Danielle at that store they can help me. Which I do. Danielle confirms the PAM176 is still in stock along with a few other models. I look online at the others, confirm that I want the PAM176 and I ring her back. I explain that coming downtown with an infant etc. can be a bit of pain what options do I have. She says it is best to come to the store, but she can also ship, etc. I tell her to HOLD the watch, I will be buying it that day and she will either see me in the store or I will phone back to arrange to ship it.

So I pile the wife, kiddos, etc. into the car, drive downtown (about 15 miles), drive around to find a garage big enough to swallow our Suburban, pay to park, load the little one in the stroller, Starbucks up the wife and trek in the rain to the store.

ONLY TO FIND DANIELLE AND JIM HANDING THE WATCH OVER TO ANOTHER CLIENT!!!!!!!!!! You have GOT to be kidding right?

I understand a bird in the hand, but at the same time I was ASSURED the watch would be mine, I confirmed I would be purchasing it THAT day, and yet instead of even calling me back to confirm, they sold it to another client.

What good is establishing a relationship with an AD only to have them shoot you in the foot?

My company relies on our internet reputation, so I struggled before writing this here (I plan to post it elsewhere as well) but it is just an deserved. I have been 100% honest in the synopsis etc.

I hope potential clients to Carl Greve Portland Oregon will use this information prior to purchasing. As it sits MY next Panerai purchase will be online!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent folks! Feel free to reply with any comments.

ALTAADAM007
Beaverton Oregon USA
ALTAADAM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 05:24 PM   #2
ALTAADAM007

Warning****problems with carl greve portland oregon****warning

Hey Guys and Gals,

I live in an area with only one authorized Panerai dealer. As such I have little alternative to buying online, but I like to keep my business local if I can. In the past year I have bought:

Rolex GMT IIC
Breitling Bentley GT
Several pieces of women's jewelry (diamonds and such)

all in an effort to keep in good graces with the dealer for future purchases.

RECENTLY, wife allowed me to make a post-Christmas Panerai purchase! YEE HA right!? She had gone with me to view some pieces at their downtown location and knew I had my eye on a PAM176.

So I phoned my regular guy at Carl Greve Bridgeport Village. HE explains he can't get Panerai from their sister store in downtown Portland. But, if I phone Jim and Danielle at that store they can help me. Which I do. Danielle confirms the PAM176 is still in stock along with a few other models. I look online at the others, confirm that I want the PAM176 and I ring her back. I explain that coming downtown with an infant etc. can be a bit of pain what options do I have. She says it is best to come to the store, but she can also ship, etc. I tell her to HOLD the watch, I will be buying it that day and she will either see me in the store or I will phone back to arrange to ship it.

So I pile the wife, kiddos, etc. into the car, drive downtown (about 15 miles), drive around to find a garage big enough to swallow our Suburban, pay to park, load the little one in the stroller, Starbucks up the wife and trek in the rain to the store.

ONLY TO FIND DANIELLE AND JIM HANDING THE WATCH OVER TO ANOTHER CLIENT!!!!!!!!!! You have GOT to be kidding right?

I understand a bird in the hand, but at the same time I was ASSURED the watch would be mine, I confirmed I would be purchasing it THAT day, and yet instead of even calling me back to confirm, they sold it to another client.

What good is establishing a relationship with an AD only to have them shoot you in the foot?

My company relies on our internet reputation, so I struggled before writing this here (I plan to post it elsewhere as well) but it is just an deserved. I have been 100% honest in the synopsis etc.

I hope potential clients to Carl Greve Portland Oregon will use this information prior to purchasing. As it sits MY next Panerai purchase will be online!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent folks! Feel free to reply with any comments.

ALTAADAM007
Beaverton Oregon USA
Old 29 December 2008, 06:18 PM   #3
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Unless you give them a deposit by credit card, I think they have the right to sell the watch. I agree with you it's bad public relations and shows little concern for your business...but I'm guessing their business is down(nationwide -37 percent for retail luxury items over last year this time), and they snapped up the loot. I understand completely your desire to see and try on the watch before committing large dollars, but I don't think they overstepped their bounds, and my experience with AD's by and large that they have zero loyalty, except of course, while they're trying to close a deal.
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 07:02 PM   #4
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Bummer... That has happened to me before. Talk about awkward...

On the bright side. The 176 is an awesome watch. My best friend has one. Call the Panerai Boutique in Beverly Hills and ask them to ship it... Might not have to pay Sales Tax. Not sure...
Old 29 December 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Definitely should have given them a deposit via CC on the phone. I agree that in this financial environment most business people will take the bird in hand.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 10:24 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
Definitely should have given them a deposit via CC on the phone. I agree that in this financial environment most business people will take the bird in hand.
Have to agree with you should have paid a deposit by credit card.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 10:29 PM   #7
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Maybe they didn't ask for a deposit. IMO If they said they would hold for you then they should, unless they asked for a deposit and you refused (which i doubt)

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 11:03 PM   #8
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
My AD gets more than a few calls from people who "are coming in later" to buy a watch. They should have asked for a CC but probably figured in this economy, what're the odds the watch would be gone? Sounds like, at worse, a mistake - which we've all made. I can understand you being honked off, but I don't know if they deserve to be in the "watch out" section....
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 11:39 PM   #9
FOUNTAIN RACING

Is this really "WATCH OUT" worthy?

Now were trashing AD's because people get there feelings hurt?

I'm not trying to be nasty, but the "WARNINGS" in your title are a bit much for what actually happened.
FOUNTAIN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 11:59 PM   #10
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...how many...

...FORUM MEMBERS have told an AD or "car dealer" that you will "be back"....never to return again, or to return days, weeks, or months later.

...oh, yah, those are the consumers favorite words...."I'll be back"......

...SHOULD have made CC deposit over the phone since you had made the mental commitment to purchase..

...Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 12:16 AM   #11
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
I might rethink and dig deeper into the depth and meanings of words... was this truly done intentionally to loose you as a customer, this AD was not your normal AD's store... so, they did not have the connection with you as the other AD did or does. I feel you had the need to vent but, not hardly the need to post in the WATCH OUT forum. Some times we need to vent about our lost. Hope you do find your watch and remember AD is best unless your a watchmaker! ;o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 01:58 AM   #12
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
Unless you give them a deposit by credit card, I think they have the right to sell the watch. I agree with you it's bad public relations and shows little concern for your business...but I'm guessing their business is down(nationwide -37 percent for retail luxury items over last year this time), and they snapped up the loot. I understand completely your desire to see and try on the watch before committing large dollars, but I don't think they overstepped their bounds, and my experience with AD's by and large that they have zero loyalty, except of course, while they're trying to close a deal.
I had ALREADY seen the watch prior to Christmas. Told them I was coming into pick it up etc. They hadn't ever asked for a deposit on pieces before. This was just a bad move on their part. Period.
Old 30 December 2008, 01:59 AM   #13
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBJIV View Post
Bummer... That has happened to me before. Talk about awkward...

On the bright side. The 176 is an awesome watch. My best friend has one. Call the Panerai Boutique in Beverly Hills and ask them to ship it... Might not have to pay Sales Tax. Not sure...
This week I am going to hunt around a bit and I sincerely appreciate the referral. I had a good experience in LasVegas this November with Tourneau as well. No tax, shipped promptly etc. Good people in person as well!
Old 30 December 2008, 02:00 AM   #14
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Maybe they didn't ask for a deposit. IMO If they said they would hold for you then they should, unless they asked for a deposit and you refused (which i doubt)
100% accurate! They didn't ask, I didn't feel I needed to PUSH them to take it and they had held my previous items for me to reach the store.
Old 30 December 2008, 02:02 AM   #15
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOUNTAIN RACING View Post
Is this really "WATCH OUT" worthy?

Now were trashing AD's because people get there feelings hurt?

I'm not trying to be nasty, but the "WARNINGS" in your title are a bit much for what actually happened.
I only drove 15 miles. We live in a smaller metro area, assume you wanted to pick something up, had been a good client, they didn't ask for a deposit and you drove 50 miles, 100, maybe more. We just came out of an ice storm as well.

This was just bad business.
Old 30 December 2008, 02:03 AM   #16
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
IMO, the store should have asked for a CC deposit, BUT since they didn't, their word should have held up.
I have done this a couple of times, called in to hold something, BUT, I have given them my phone number and told them, IF ANYONE comes in about this watch, can you give me the courtesy to call me while I am enroute.
I agree with the poster, the store should have stuck to their verbal agreement.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 02:16 AM   #17
ALTAADAM007

Guys and gals,

I won't beat this like a dead horse. I am upset. I think the AD could have handled things differently. If there was ANY concern, CALL ME prior to selling the watch to someone else! I am mean seriously. they had my number! If there was ANY question if I was coming in or not, ring me up and confirm. I am NOT a jerk, if I was on the fence I would have said to sell it to that guy. I WASN'T on the fence at all!

This may have been a bit harsh in the "watch out" section as I am only out my anger, parking and fuel. But at the same time, it would be VERY hard for me to ever recommend them to others. It should be noted that some members here DO purchase from this dealer out of state. I think they might want to know how locals are treated even after repeat purchases to the same franchise.

Thank you all for reading and listening!
Old 30 December 2008, 02:35 AM   #18
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...I can understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTAADAM007 View Post
Guys and gals,

I won't beat this like a dead horse. I am upset. I think the AD could have handled things differently. If there was ANY concern, CALL ME prior to selling the watch to someone else! I am mean seriously. they had my number! If there was ANY question if I was coming in or not, ring me up and confirm. I am NOT a jerk, if I was on the fence I would have said to sell it to that guy. I WASN'T on the fence at all!

This may have been a bit harsh in the "watch out" section as I am only out my anger, parking and fuel. But at the same time, it would be VERY hard for me to ever recommend them to others. It should be noted that some members here DO purchase from this dealer out of state. I think they might want to know how locals are treated even after repeat purchases to the same franchise.

Thank you all for reading and listening!
...your frustration with them, especially since you are a repeat customer.

...however, I have seen this very thing in the car business more times than I care to mention. A person comes in, does a test drive etc, and says "I'll be back tomorrow, or whenever". Some have even said, I have to pray about it first. I will ask for a deposit to hold it for them, but most of the time they say "it will be here tomorrow-NOT necessarily true. I actually had a person, NOT a repeat buyer, come in on a Friday, tell me they would be back Monday, I ASKED for a deposit (they said no), and came back Monday with a shoebox full of money to purchase the truck. It just so happens, that while this first customer was on the test drive, I had another buyer come in (15 minutes later), waiting to drive the SAME truck-HE BOUGHT IT on the spot. The truck was used, 6 years old with ONLY 15,000 actual miles on it-vehicles like that do NOT last long. For sale until SOLD.

...an item is for sale until it is sold, or, you take a deposit on it (takes it off the market).

...again, I do understand, especially with you being a repeat customer.

Hopefully, you will find the exact watch you want very soon. Good Luck with your search!

KEEP US POSTED on the developments when you locate and purchase what you want!

...wishing you the BEST for the New Year!!

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 07:10 AM   #19
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
if I was that AD - I would bust my butt to find you a PAM176 somewhere.

Luxary good sales where down almost 40% this Christmas. When an AD of high-end watches gets a repeat customer, they better keep 'em coming back.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 09:09 AM   #20
onkyo
Banned

I would be upset as well. Maybe a blessing in disguise as you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere. Good luck!
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 09:15 AM   #21
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Ask them to get you another one at a discount. If they refuse buy it somewhere else and then drop by and show it to them. Tell them how much you like your NEW AD and then smile and leave.
Saxon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 09:29 AM   #22
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusrt View Post
if I was that AD - I would bust my butt to find you a PAM176 somewhere.

Luxary good sales where down almost 40% this Christmas. When an AD of high-end watches gets a repeat customer, they better keep 'em coming back.
Excellent point! The PAM176 isn't THAT hard to find, but it is the one I want. What really stinks for them, is that I was going to surprise my wife with a new pair of Hearts on Fire Earrings at the same time. But SHE was so upset with them screwing me over, that we didn't even get to the point of the earrings! So the $6K watch sale went away as did another $10K on the earrings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
Ask them to get you another one at a discount. If they refuse buy it somewhere else and then drop by and show it to them. Tell them how much you like your NEW AD and then smile and leave.
I like the way you think! Funny thing was my salesperson from the other store called me today asking "how things went?" I explained to him and he was VERY upset, as he didn't get the commission and he knows I have ZERO interest in moving forward with the earring purchase since the corporation didn't take care of me! I feel bad for him as HE is a good guy. Knows his stuff, likes the clientele and isn't a used car salesperson when it comes to jewelry.
Old 30 December 2008, 09:39 AM   #23
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
Mountain and molehill spring to mind.
They sold the watch to the first person who gave them the money. Yeah, it's a bummer and you wasted 30 mins of your life but if that's the worst that happened to you that day then you've had a result.
Go and buy it elsewhere.
Old 30 December 2008, 10:58 AM   #24
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopsey View Post
Mountain and molehill spring to mind.
They sold the watch to the first person who gave them the money. Yeah, it's a bummer and you wasted 30 mins of your life but if that's the worst that happened to you that day then you've had a result.
Go and buy it elsewhere.
I agree to some extent. With a few exceptions, you may or may not have children, packing up a one year old, 6 year old, stroller, bottles, diapers, etc. etc. to make a quick trip can take 30 minutes. Parking, unloading etc.

Plus there was NO apology, NO offer to validate my parking, etc. etc.

My monetary damage is far smaller than that to Carl Greve for sure. Our family likes finer things, and Carl Greve offers bobbles and trinkets for such occasions. They aren't cheap! Clients in the economy should be treated and respected better. I am NOT asking for warm sunshine to be blown up my backside or anything, just wish they would have handled it all differently.

If I ran my business in a similar fashion, I wouldn't be able to afford these types of toys!
Old 30 December 2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Just another Greedy bunch
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 11:17 PM   #26
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
yes that was very unprofessional indeed!!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2008, 03:10 AM   #27
ALTAADAM007

Hey guys,

Any leads on GOOD places to purchase the PAM 176?

I called Tourneau in LV yesterday and they didn't have any, but of course added me to the list.

Thank you!
Old 31 December 2008, 02:49 PM   #28
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Wow.

I have bought 9 Rolex from Carl Greve Downtown. Always had excellent service, free booze and discounts galore.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2009, 03:02 AM   #29
ALTAADAM007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
Wow.

I have bought 9 Rolex from Carl Greve Downtown. Always had excellent service, free booze and discounts galore.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.
Yeah, you were one of the people I KNEW had good experiences and I mentioned you in previous conversations with them. (I also returned the favor and sent you a reference on another local dealer that I know you took advantage of.) BUT, it is obvious that they don't take the same level of respect and care to ALL clients. I hope others consider other options for free booze and Rolex Discounts!

Thank you for your post!
Old 1 January 2009, 09:46 AM   #30
cmr
"TRF" Member

an upscale store should have called you to see if you were on your way. this is something i would expect to hear about a car dealership, not a high end jewelry store. it is obvious they have no respect for new customers or trying to earn a working relationship with you. take the quick buck and forget about you maybe being their next best customer.

just look around, i can assure you there is someone out there that wants your business/money and that will increase in the months to come.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote