The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 April 2014, 06:39 AM   #61
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
I'd much rather have the no-crown-guard Sub my father is wearing in this photo (I'm about 1), but unfortunately it was traded in after suffering water damage in the early '70s.

what a great picture. Would be cool to see that watch today. Atleast you have this great photo to remind you.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2014, 06:54 AM   #62
pacifichrono
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 GMT 1675
I bought a solid gold birth year watch, at first thinking it was really cool to have. But I, too, found no real connection to it, maybe because I couldn't relate to the time period around when I was born. I have found much more of a connection with watches manufactured in my teens and twenties.
Old 1 April 2014, 09:33 AM   #63
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
I bought a solid gold birth year watch, at first thinking it was really cool to have. But I, too, found no real connection to it, maybe because I couldn't relate to the time period around when I was born. I have found much more of a connection with watches manufactured in my teens and twenties.
That's probably why I don't relate to birthyear watches.. The ones that caught my eye were those I saw in my teens and my interest grew from there.

That, and none of the current "Sport Watches" existed around my birth year..
Old 1 April 2014, 10:56 PM   #64
kam1
"TRF" Member

Watch: coupla subs & GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by viknijjar View Post
I like em. I have a birth year 5512.

Me too. 5513.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 12:19 AM   #65
eeh100773
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 T Series '96
I'd like to get one some day, and find myself checking the classifieds from time to time. Saw this one the other day:

Old 2 April 2014, 12:31 AM   #66
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Being that my birth year is 1984 the only watch I want from that year is a matte dial Pepsi, which I will eventually have but am in no rush. I have '68 5513 so it's hard to find anything that compares within my birth year...

Old 2 April 2014, 12:33 AM   #67
h2000
"TRF" Member

Was looking for a birth year 77 1680, however came across an untouched one from 75 which I ended up buying. The birth year thing has passed, however I do like to look at it, know that it's older than me and wonder about all the places it has been before me... There is something to be said about that..
h2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 02:59 AM   #68
Cortezthekiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
My recommendation is to always buy the right watch. If it's from the right year it's kind of icing on the cake.
It's just another collector thing. To try to make sense of it takes all the fun away. Luckily, I was born in the seventies and I like the style of these watches. So if I can swing a '73 for a watch in similar condition, I'll take it. Otherwise, it's no big deal.

My first vintage (non-rolex) was a birth year, but it was THE watch I was looking for.
Cortezthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 03:19 AM   #69
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Everybody has their own tics and wrinkles..

Personally I just do not understand the idea of having a watch from your birth year. The entire concept eludes me but I suppose that's just the way I'm wired..

I also don't understand the concept of buying a watch and sticking it in a safe for 18 years for a child. Don't get me wrong.. I've bought my kids Rolex and cars for graduation and other occasions. But I'm pretty sure that if I pulled a watch out of the safe from back in the dark ages my kids would be polite, but it may not fit in with their current life views..

I wouldn't openly criticize anybody for such a desire; I just don't get it..
Agree 100%
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 10:31 AM   #70
adambisogno
"TRF" Member

I am on vigilant watch for that Stratocaster that was assembled on my birthday. Outside of that I had not considered it.

It would be nice to look at my watch and know we are the same age I suppose.
adambisogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 12:06 PM   #71
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
I can relate on both sides of the debate. I understand maybe wanting one then not feeling a connection but I think that if I knew more of what was manufactured in 1971 I might have a better ability to say "yes" I want a birth year watch. I guess I could go to googling until I'm about to die from information overload but the "connection" I hear repeated a lot in this thread, thankfully I found in the watches that I own. I only have two. Of course my P serial 16610 with lug holes literally makes me woozy when I slip it on. It's perfect to me. Construction,style,function and then my beater work watch even makes me smile because I know I'm not off beating up my pride and joy. So I got long winded to hint at if anyone would start sharing what was available in '71 that would be a keeper. Here is my humble stable taken in a photo for another thread where I participated, show us your car and watch. Silly I know, but it's nice to participate.

rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 12:12 PM   #72
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Damn! I knew I should have come to you guys first. The serial number is all roman numerals and the warranty card is in Hieroglyphics. Is that bad?
Its definitely bad - Plus the Rolex brand is way off, its at 3 o'clock position.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 10:00 PM   #73
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
I wanted a birth year Rolex and picked up a nice Datejust from 1968. It is with Rikki right now for a full service. To me it is important to have a birth year Rolex. But that's just me!

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 10:10 PM   #74
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

I was only born once in 1968 but have two watches to commemorate to occasion.

Maybe some birth years don't lend themselves to sexy watches. Other than some political upheaval, a little war in Asia, and a bit of social strife, 1968 was a pretty good year for GMT's, Speedmasters, and me.

flyinghell34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 10:31 PM   #75
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

I love my 1675 ('72), and I have a Rolex for each of my kids' birth years, which will be handed out when appropriate. There aren't many things that last 40+ years and don't go out of style or function. I hope my kids appreciate them as much as I do, but if they don't my feelings won't be hurt.

The watch that inspired me to start collecting (Omega DeVille) was one my dad wore when I was a kid and brings happy memories from my childhood, I was thrilled when he gave it to me and will never part with it.
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 07:11 AM   #76
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I don't think they had watches when I was born...
The company that made sundials for my birthday has gone out of business...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-Sundial_in_Supreme_Court_Gardens,_Perth.jpg (149.3 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by JohnBaker3; 5 April 2014 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: photo added
JohnBaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 07:01 PM   #77
crimsondonkey

I've always wanted a red Sub, and a watch from my birth year (yeah sentimental!). Best of both worlds I've been very fortunate to find and purchase a 71 Red Sub and am eagerly awaiting its arrival on these shores some time next week hopefully.

As I have a daughter she will receive it when I shuffle off and I'm wistfully thinking she might have a son at some point in the future who will enjoy it.
crimsondonkey is offline   Reply With Quote