The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2020, 11:18 PM   #31
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
It's never too late. Some people have no choice because they are made redundant or whatever circumstances and some do it to advance their careers or simply to do something they enjoy more. As long as you have the spark and initiative to engage and learn, chances are it will be a positive experience.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:29 AM   #32
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Given the longevity cycle it’s never too late until it’s too late. So go for it! Life isn’t short it’s actually quite long so you might as well do what you like and keep things interesting.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:46 AM   #33
aparker973
"TRF" Member

My dad changed careers a few times. From restaurants, to retail, to consulting. He had his ups and downs, bad business partners, etc. It was unclear at what point (if ever) he'd be able to completely retire.

One day (while in his mid 50s, like you) he saw a opportunity in a burgeoning industry and decided to completely immerse himself. He kept running his existing business to make ends meet while catching up to speed on the new one.

A few years later, he started making more money than he ever had, and is heaping money in retirement accounts to catch up. The best part is that it's flexible enough to scale down as he gets older-- think about it like a lawyer or consultant who can turn down new clients and focus on existing ones to manage workload.

And I STILL think he'd be open to another change (or at least, to get involved in another industry).

People of a certain age can have the wisdom and experience to identify opportunities before they really start heating up.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:32 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker973 View Post
And I STILL think he'd be open to another change (or at least, to get involved in another industry).

People of a certain age can have the wisdom and experience to identify opportunities before they really start heating up.
Wonderfully said, and agree.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:36 AM   #35
Brew
"TRF" Member

This is all very encouraging. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:26 AM   #36
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Wonderfully said, and agree.
Yup.

Nailed it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 07:35 PM   #37
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's funny to look back on threads, especially ones that marked significant personal change. Wow, I didn't know what was coming when I started this one, or the adventure I was about to begin sitting in my basement. It's been quite a year, including taking a couple months break from TRF. And now I find more change is coming, so I'll update this again shortly.

Right now, I'm going to listen to the coyotes howl as the sun begins to rise. Have a good morning TRF.
Old 18 March 2021, 01:32 AM   #38
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I am on the move right now myself. I’ve had stints in both design and sales, but truly want to get to what I’ve always wanted to do.....real estate development. I want to build the world! Good luck with all of your moves sir!

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 01:42 AM   #39
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

It's never too late. I switched to my current career at the age of 51 and it was my third career change. Went from corporate mgmt to law to private equity.

I'm very thankful that I've always had the choice to change. Lots of folks don't.

Do it and don't look back.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 07:55 AM   #40
rotaryworld12
Banned

I believe it’s never late hence the passion is there...Best wishes.
rotaryworld12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 05:03 AM   #41
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
It's never too late. I switched to my current career at the age of 51 and it was my third career change. Went from corporate mgmt to law to private equity.

I'm very thankful that I've always had the choice to change. Lots of folks don't.

Do it and don't look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
It's never too late. Some people have no choice because they are made redundant or whatever circumstances and some do it to advance their careers or simply to do something they enjoy more. As long as you have the spark and initiative to engage and learn, chances are it will be a positive experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Good for you.

Never too late. Especially because it sounds like you don’t “need” the money.

Enjoy the day. Enjoy the moments. They are all we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
It's NEVER too late, Larry! I applaud your guts to make another change.

I spent 9 years in the Army. I decided that wasn't for me, so I switched to Federal Law Enforcement and did that for 21 years. I just got my Master's in English and now I teach college English. It can be done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
It's never too late. Retire when you're 90.

Enjoy the new job. Sounds like it's low risk, or at least manageable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Never.

The hardest part is the first step. Surround yourself with positive people. I left a very lucrative career to start my own business. Yes, its hard. But my hard days are better than my best with the old golden handcuffs.

Besides, when you're real old and can't piss without a diaper or eat without a straw, regrets only make things worse.

All the best. You'll do great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
I think the answer here is, you're never too old to do pivot and do something else you enjoy. Life's a journey and you should experience different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandWatch View Post
Never too late. I recently retired because I didn’t need the stress and don’t need any more money. Roughly the same age as you. But, I now realise my brain is too active to just do nothing. So, I’m contemplating my next move ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryworld12 View Post
I believe it’s never late hence the passion is there...Best wishes.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 11:26 PM   #42
Brew
"TRF" Member

All great and supportive feedback. Thank you. But the fact of the matter is, I've had enough. I don't want to deal with the BS any more. I started in law and have worked doing deals for two companies everyone here knows. I've worked hard and have been lucky. I've given notice and I'm going to enjoy some downtime.

Looks like 57 was too late, at least for now.
Old 20 March 2021, 12:35 AM   #43
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Well, sorry to read that it didn't work out, but I think some downtime would be good for you (for anyone) and I hope you enjoy it.

I had my own little bit of a midlife career crisis at 40, and quit my lousy job at a lousy bank to take a year sabbatical and reevaluate. I went to a career counselor and talked with her, did some exercises and testing and determined that what I really enjoyed, and wanted to do, was what I had been doing (I/T) but I just needed to find a better place in which to do it.

And so I did. Now approaching my 20th year here, moved into management which has brought its own challenges and rewards, and this is where I met my wife. So that was good.

It would be great to go back to my first love, which was music, but that industry has changed so much since when I was active, and to be honest, I have not kept up, and the idea of traveling and touring and playing club dates just doesn't appeal to me.

I really applaud you guys who have the vision and the cojones to start something new, and I envy those who have the drive and passion to take the leap.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 12:42 AM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
All great and supportive feedback. Thank you. But the fact of the matter is, I've had enough. I don't want to deal with the BS any more. I started in law and have worked doing deals for two companies everyone here knows. I've worked hard and have been lucky. I've given notice and I'm going to enjoy some downtime.

Congratulations Larry, decisions like that can’t be easy, but you seem like you know what works for you.

I hope you enjoy some down time and along the way, figure out what works best for you.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 12:49 AM   #45
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Well, sorry to read that it didn't work out, but I think some downtime would be good for you (for anyone) and I hope you enjoy it.
I'm glad I gave it a shot. Live and learn . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations Larry, decisions like that can’t be easy, but you seem like you know what works for you.

I hope you enjoy some down time and along the way, figure out what works best for you.
Thank you. It's kinda daunting, but I'm in a place where decisions like this won't hurt too much if they turn out mistaken. Might as well take some time to see what's next.
Old 20 March 2021, 01:22 AM   #46
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:

I think I need to stop thinking and just do it!

[Well, actually, it's a done deal already, but you know what I mean. lol]
This is all you "have" to do.

I went through my own career change two years ago. And although I remained within the industry, what I'm doing now, is on the opposite site of the spectrum.
Previous experience is normally a prerequisite. I had none.
So I just stopped thinking about it. And did it.

Best of luck, I'm confident you'll find your own way and pace in the new environment.

**Edit: just saw you're not going for it after all but still, like others said, it's never actually too late!
minute_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 01:26 AM   #47
WatchDanny1
Banned

the real answer is, its never too late
WatchDanny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 07:18 PM   #48
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post

**Edit: just saw you're not going for it after all but still, like others said, it's never actually too late!
Actually, I made the jump, tried it for a year, have not enjoyed the work, and have decided to retire. No point in doing something I don't enjoy, if not required.
Old 22 March 2021, 01:23 AM   #49
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
I would say forget about retiring. It's an outdated concept in my view or at least it should be. With that out of the way, you are no way too old nor is it too late to change careers.

Do it if that's what moves you. Good luck.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 02:05 AM   #50
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm right smack in the middle of my 50s and I'm about to change my career for the third time. I practiced law for a decade, then did/managed deals for a big computer/services company for 20+ years. I'm about to start a new role as a "risk manager" for a large consulting firm working with its deal teams, and I'm more excited about work than I've been in a long long time. Although retirement was a consideration, I'm just not ready.

Has anybody else made a late-career change like this? Any recommendations? I'd appreciate your thoughts!
I'm in my mid 50's myself. I went from investing in rental/income real estate (all of which I still own) to publishing. I'll give you the same advice I would give to anyone else: in my opinion, the only type of work worth getting involved in is the type of work where you do the work once, and then get paid for that work you did forever. Good luck to you.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 02:33 AM   #51
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Are you now “officially retired “, “between jobs” or “consulting”??
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 03:29 AM   #52
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
Are you now “officially retired “, “between jobs” or “consulting”??
I think the answer to this depends on whether something interesting comes along . . . .
Old 22 March 2021, 10:47 AM   #53
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
I'm right smack in the middle of my 50s and I'm about to change my career for the third time. I practiced law for a decade, then did/managed deals for a big computer/services company for 20+ years. I'm about to start a new role as a "risk manager" for a large consulting firm working with its deal teams, and I'm more excited about work than I've been in a long long time. Although retirement was a consideration, I'm just not ready.

Has anybody else made a late-career change like this? Any recommendations? I'd appreciate your thoughts!

It’s never to late to change. As long as your cash flow is acceptable, do what you want.

I started a consulting business at 65 and am enjoying myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote