The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 March 2019, 01:01 AM   #1
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 blue dial
Patek 5396G-011

Hi guys

I’m contemplating purchasing my first patek and saw the 5396G-011 at the London Patek Salon. It’s gorgeous and very ‘Patek’in my eyes: discreet, simple but yet with complications. I can see myself wearing this at work and outside of work as it’s quite understated.

It’s priced around £36k in the UK which is quite steep.

What are your thoughts on this piece?

I assume resale values are quite bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eamonn345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:17 AM   #2
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I love this reference. Very understated yet very Patek.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:23 AM   #3
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Way too high. Is a watch that from the get go you know is doing the same as the other strap patek watches , not that great. So if you buy knowingly and you love it then I don’t see why not. But yeah do your research, market price in the US is low 30’s I would say.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:28 AM   #4
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Make aure u love the watch if its ur first piece.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:30 AM   #5
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
I actually own this peice, and it is gorgeous

But I bought mine pre owned and paid around the 27 mark

I'm actually thinking about selling mine on if yiu are interested, it's mint condition, and I'd only be looking at 28

Pm me if your interested
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:37 AM   #6
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 blue dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Way too high. Is a watch that from the get go you know is doing the same as the other strap patek watches , not that great. So if you buy knowingly and you love it then I don’t see why not. But yeah do your research, market price in the US is low 30’s I would say.

Thanks! What would you recommend as a first patek? I’ve attached a photo of my current collection. I’m thinking of getting rid of the jlc mut Moon. Was thinking of the VC 3rd gen Chrono Panda dial or a dressy patek.

eamonn345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:45 AM   #7
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
OP - have you considered a 5124G-001 as a first Patek? You get a salmon dial and particularly if you are trading in your JLC, you retain a rectangular watch in your (gorgeous) collection?
Old 26 March 2019, 03:06 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn345 View Post
Hi guys

I’m contemplating purchasing my first patek and saw the 5396G-011 at the London Patek Salon. It’s gorgeous and very ‘Patek’in my eyes: discreet, simple but yet with complications. I can see myself wearing this at work and outside of work as it’s quite understated.

It’s priced around £36k in the UK which is quite steep.

What are your thoughts on this piece?

I assume resale values are quite bad?

Beautiful piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 03:11 AM   #9
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

I love it, and it fits into your wonderful collection nicely.

If you want box fresh, you should be able to get it for a bit less - unless that price includes VAT and then that's not bad for new.

For reference a dealer offered me at $43K USD before tax.

Another option i would strongly consider is a top flight 3940 - and the most "value" is in yellow gold. A world class dealer in NYC has one for $45K with box papers.

FA
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 03:26 AM   #10
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I really like that reference, but would probably pick it up pre-owned. Papers aren't worth 10k to me regardless if it's temporary or for life.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:25 AM   #11
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

Get it and enjoy it and don't worry about values. It doesn't matter. Life is short so get what you want and wear it in good health. It's a gorgeous piece.

Watches are not investments, too many people worry about values and wind up with watches they don't even like and if you don't like it why bother.

This weekend i met a guy who had a SS Nautilus. I told him congrats on a beautiful piece. He responded that he thinks it's super ugly but it retains its value so that is the only reason he has it. I thought, what a shame. Sometimes I think people have lost their way with watches and are acquiring but not enjoying them. No point in that in my opinion.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:33 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

On this forum, a lot of people talk about retail price vs market value. If you are someone that buys and sells watches frequently, then you want to pay more attention to pre-owned market prices. But if you are someone who buys to keep and enjoy for many years, there is no comparison between buying new from an AD vs pre-owned. It is like buying a new car from a dealership and enjoying the new car feel/smell vs buying a car with 10k miles/kms on it.

An Annual Calendar is an excellent choice for a first Patek. I would recommend trying on the other annual calendars (5146 and 5205) and see if you still like the 5396 better. The 5396G is a fabulous watch BTW!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 12:38 PM   #13
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Beautiful watch... I used to own it in RG. Yes the resale is quite bad unless you can buy it with at a good discount!
Old 27 March 2019, 12:59 PM   #14
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn345 View Post
Thanks! What would you recommend as a first patek? I’ve attached a photo of my current collection. I’m thinking of getting rid of the jlc mut Moon. Was thinking of the VC 3rd gen Chrono Panda dial or a dressy patek.

The ideal 1st patek is what I got for a first Patek , that is 5712/1a. Unfortunately in this market it’s impossible now. So then I turn to pre-own Aquanaut which I hate to do recommend because pre-loved aquas and Nauti will come with some light swirl here or there on the bezel; and for me is hard enough when I made those swirls now you have to see what the other guy did to that bezel, I am telling you even if they took good care of it is nearly impossible not do a lil thing here and there. So then you have the Annual calendars , which like I said , they are beautiful but one of the worst investments in the patek catalog. My favorite AC is discontinued now , 5146P. So then I turn to either 5396G baton dial (like the one you showed ) or 5146g. For a 5146g r or j try to stay at 30k or under.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote