The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 March 2019, 09:47 PM   #31
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Sorry, OP. That seems to be the norm now. Most ADs just look at the total amount of money spent and that determines where you are on the list.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:47 PM   #32
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712a,5170P,5980R,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
So much nonsense in one post.

You cannot make such sweeping generalisations.

Not to mention I am friends with the owners of 3 large family Owned ADs. And guess what, they all play the same game. Again, maybe just by chance . Or similar to RM; since they control everything they decide which piece goes to who despite the “list”.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SimpleMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:01 PM   #33
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan91 View Post
Not to mention I am friends with the owners of 3 large family Owned ADs. And guess what, they all play the same game. Again, maybe just by chance . Or similar to RM; since they control everything they decide which piece goes to who despite the “list”.
Just my 2 cents.

I need to be real life friends with you! Maybe then I can get my 5712a l:)

One day when they theow an event in NYC :)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:02 PM   #34
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Should’ve said hi lol

I dont have instagram. Im trying to get my kid to do one but she refuses lol
Old 23 March 2019, 10:09 PM   #35
Codik
"TRF" Member

My AD takes a 10% deposit and gives me an estimated delivery date in writing.

OP, if I were you, I would voice my complaint and see what they say.

Separately, the amount of pain and humiliation some people are willing to go through to get a watch puzzles me. It’s a luxury good, not medicine, and should be a pleasure to buy and own.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:13 PM   #36
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
My AD takes a 10% deposit and gives me an estimated delivery date in writing.

OP, if I were you, I would voice my complaint and see what they say.

Separately, the amount of pain and humiliation some people are willing to go through to get a watch puzzles me. It’s a luxury good, not medicine, and should be a pleasure to buy and own.

X2

Old 23 March 2019, 10:18 PM   #37
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I need to be real life friends with you! Maybe then I can get my 5712a l:)

One day when they theow an event in NYC :)

I got lucky lol.. I don’t run after ADs anymore. I got tired of it. Way too much energy and time.
I’ll just wait til I get a call

Old 23 March 2019, 10:27 PM   #38
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
They gave me the common spiel about needing to buy another Patek from them for me to be added to their list.
This is when you walk...
Old 23 March 2019, 10:30 PM   #39
Codik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
This is when you walk...

Exactly.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:41 PM   #40
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry but lists are BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:56 PM   #41
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Sorry but lists are BS.

I think it depends on the AD. I'm sure most of us have asked for watches and waited without be allocated the next one to come in.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:01 PM   #42
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I think it depends on the AD. I'm sure most of us have asked for watches and waited without be allocated the next one to come in.
All i know is im on a waitlist for a Tudor
Old 23 March 2019, 11:02 PM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
I can understand happening in corporate, sometimes it's just beyond the control of the plebs but at a family run outfit it's just unacceptable.
Yes, I would go back and talk to the manager/owner and explain your situation, they might be able to get the wait time back to what you were promised, human touch might work.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:10 PM   #44
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All i know is im on a waitlist for a Tudor
Of course!
Old 23 March 2019, 11:12 PM   #45
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
What do you guys think about this?
This is an outrage!

Thing is about wait lists is they're a faulty premise.

Someone with a stronger overall purchase history can bump you at any time depending on the AD. As a customer you have no way of knowing which pieces your AD has received. Even if the list itself is public the best you could do would be to monitor it and contact people that had been above you who have been removed to verify they either opted out or received the product.

As far as I know, I have never heard of an AD being this forthcoming with "the list". As such, I would put zero stock in it.

A "one and done" customer who is only interested in a single piece will not be attractive to an AD so I would guess they would string you along for as long as possible.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:15 PM   #46
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

True. I think these lists are static and you are likely never going to know if your AD sold what you are supposedly next on the list for to someone else who came in and blew a bunch of money. Or he just has a better relationship with that AD than you do..... it's a game and I kinda like playing it but I will never pay to buy something I don't want to get what I do.

Old 23 March 2019, 11:22 PM   #47
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True. I think these lists are static and you are likely never going to know if your AD sold what you are supposedly next on the list for to someone else who came in and blew a bunch of money. Or he just has a better relationship with that AD than you do..... it's a game and I kinda like playing it but I will never pay to buy something I don't want to get what I do.

Yep. This pretty much how I see it as well.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:28 PM   #48
Protour2003
Banned

Watch: the next one
Look...

We all know the state of the PP sport models are beyond crazy right now. I know from my own experience dealing with a family owned AD that the better your relationship (what you buy and your ACTUAL relationship) the better your position on any said wait-list is. What we (and the AD doesn't know) is the actual allocation they will get that year and coming years.

I agree with the OP frustration in being told 2 years originally (did they say 2 years, or was it, maybe 2 years??) But, if the AD had 8-10 people on his list and they had been getting 3 5711's annually, they could have come up with that 2 year estimate. FF six months, everything blows up, some whales that have spent major money with them bump your position a bit and the allocation shrinks, bam... a 6 year wait estimate happens.

Again, based on my experience (had an issue with my AD in the past) I would sit down with the owner/GM and the sales person. Explain the WHOLE situation and tell them that you understand that they can not control the allocation, but they can make it right. I would be shocked if they don't put you on the top of another list. Again, a similar situation happened to me with a 5726. Two months later, they offered me a 5711R, Four months later they offered me 5164.

If your AD has a reputable business, they will do things to TRY to make it right. If you think this is frustrating to us, imagine how the AD's feel... They can NOT keep up with the demand for the "good stuff" also, they have to try and cultivate new relationships with the new collectors and try to keep the "whales" happy. Not an easy task.
Protour2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:32 PM   #49
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protour2003 View Post
What we (and the AD doesn't know) is the actual allocation they will get that year and coming years.
And it appears as though certain allocations are lower this year than previous years.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:33 PM   #50
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry but lists are BS.

This depends on your AD and based on your statement above you may be lacking a decent one...

My experience has been totally different. When I ordered a 5711 as a first time customer at a family-owned AD in my smallish home town, they tried to get to know me a little, took my data, told me my position on the list and the expected wait time (based on the number of pieces they expect per year). Whenever I called in later I got updated and transparent information. Got the call well within the initial estimate. All good.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:33 PM   #51
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
And it appears as though certain allocations are lower this year than previous years.
Is that true? I thought Patek just finished their fiscal year not long ago and you should see a spurt of incomings over next 2 months.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:38 PM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
This depends on your AD and based on your statement above you may be lacking a decent one...

My experience has been totally different. When I ordered a 5711 as a first time customer at a family-owned AD in my smallish home town, they tried to get to know me a little, took my data, told me my position on the list and the expected wait time (based on the number of pieces they expect per year). Whenever I called in later I got updated and transparent information. Got the call well within the initial estimate. All good.

I have a great AD, no complaints here.

Old 23 March 2019, 11:40 PM   #53
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is that true? I thought Patek just finished their fiscal year not long ago and you should see a spurt of incomings over next 2 months.
It's true on my end. What arrives over the next couple months might be it for much of the year.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:42 PM   #54
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a great AD, no complaints here.

Yeah, I have a great AD as well. No complaints...
Old 23 March 2019, 11:42 PM   #55
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just my 2 cents.

You weren’t just talking about lists (lists can be BS), you were suggesting small AD’s sell out the back door to gray dealers and force you to buy jewellery to get on the list. This behaviour is the sign of a poor AD not a small Family AD.

‘With small family owned; they take advantage and the list is completely BS. They’ll force you to purchase jewelry and other watches to get what you really want. Lots of family owned; sell it direct to grey dealers.’
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:10 PM   #56
Sheldor
"TRF" Member

I agree with the most recent posts, hard to generalize on this one. I was booted off lists at larger ADs in the past after significant wait due to lack of purchase history but after establishing with a family owned AD, they got to know me over multiple visits and I received a 5711 after 1.5 years without prior purchase hx and my referred friend received a GMT batman two days before Basel (no purchase hx). They only deal with local clients in the community and like to learn about you and your watch interests in addition to money spent to allocate watches.

I would hope that a formal sit down with the owner of the AD would help your situation
Sheldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:07 PM   #57
WatchYouGonnaDo
"TRF" Member

Join the club...the club of those waiting for the watch or been pushed down on a waiting list is far greater than the club of those who have the watch
WatchYouGonnaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:15 AM   #58
yippie123
"TRF" Member

Some AD are just full of bs. Just went to Wempe Munich to ask if i am able to get on their waitlist on 5231j. The sales rep just went on saying it’s hard to get and all, I then ask him to confirm on the model number just to be sure we are talking on the same watch and he went like “I don’t know” and not even bother to check.
yippie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:20 AM   #59
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippie123 View Post
Some AD are just full of bs. Just went to Wempe Munich to ask if i am able to get on their waitlist on 5231j. The sales rep just went on saying it’s hard to get and all, I then ask him to confirm on the model number just to be sure we are talking on the same watch and he went like “I don’t know” and not even bother to check.

Have you purchased several Pateks from them previously?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #60
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

I hear you. ADs have become way too complacent in this market. This short term thinking is very unfortunate.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote