The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 March 2019, 09:51 PM   #31
tng11
"TRF" Member

What's the point of this post? Wishful thinking TRF could move the needle.

I personally wouldn't buy a grey market Nautilus again, or ever. But that's because I have the one Nautilus I really want, the 5712/1A. I'd like a 5711/1R one day, but not for that price.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:53 PM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
What's the point of this post? Wishful thinking TRF could move the needle.

I personally wouldn't buy a grey market Nautilus again, or ever. But that's because I have the one Nautilus I really want, the 5712/1A. I'd like a 5711/1R one day, but not for that price.
im skeptical of this post... because OP has another thread where he tried to get on a list 6 months ago which was well into the 5711 hype anyway. So why now do you want it? probably because its so desirable and so valuable to get at retail.

Everyone always wants it when the market explodes.... but where were they 5 years ago?

seems like its wanting it at retail now because they grey market is so high. Grey market is excellent and making people want a watch they didn't want previously but its weird to then be mad at it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:06 PM   #33
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I think asking people here not to buy from greys is the least of your concerns.

Ask the people on Instagram instead! It might make a difference if everyone agrees lol
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Challenge accepted, I don't need to buy them on the gray market because I can get at MSRP from my AD.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:46 PM   #35
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I for one think that the grey market is a beautiful thing especially in this internet age. One of the biggest issues with watches and enjoyability in the past is liquidity. The grey market provides that in buckets....

If you have the $60-$100k to "buy" a nautilus, you can pretty much trade in and out of any nautilus. I think that gives you access to a whole line of watches.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:47 PM   #36
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I for one think that the grey market is a beautiful thing especially in this internet age. One of the biggest issues with watches and enjoyability in the past is liquidity. The grey market provides that in buckets....

If you have the $60-$100k to "buy" a nautilus, you can pretty much trade in and out of any nautilus. I think that gives you access to a whole line of watches.
Bearxj makes a great point... the grey market provides liquidity.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:57 PM   #37
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

It's definitely convenient for those who tend to constantly move references in and out of their collection. That said, the only watch I'd consider buying grey is a 15202 (not even sure I really want one), on account of not wanting to buy a crappy AP or two prior to buying the one I want. Fortunately for me, I established relationships with a great Rolex AD and a great Patek AD prior to the current craze, and those are the brands I value most.
Old 24 March 2019, 12:01 AM   #38
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
By continuing to buy gray market 5711's the problem will only get worse! I challenge everyone on here to have some restraint and resist the urge of buying a marked up gray market Nautilus...you are hurting all of us!

Respond to this with your pledge to not buy a gray market Nautilus which will perpetuate the problem!

In the words of Nancy Reagan.... Just say NO!
An watch that a reverso rivals for 1/10th the price. You’ve my word. I won’t buy one new or pre owned.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 02:30 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We should all work together to take down the man? Karl Marx would be turning in his grave, if it wasn't being vandalised every 5 minutes.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 02:36 AM   #40
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
We should all work together to take down the man? Karl Marx would be turning in his grave, if it wasn't being vandalised every 5 minutes.
Ok. Btw. Whos the man?
Old 24 March 2019, 02:37 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Ok. Btw. Whos the man?
anyone who can get the watch from an AD
anyone who can pay secondary prices

So basically everyone except the AD customer who cant get on a WL
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 March 2019, 02:42 AM   #42
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
anyone who can get the watch from an AD
anyone who can pay secondary prices

So basically everyone except the AD customer who cant get on a WL
That was deep...im going to have to think about it a little more
Old 24 March 2019, 03:47 AM   #43
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlindsay View Post
You are allowed to eat it and bury in the back yard as well but strongly recommend the OP not to do it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=645305
Ha!ha! I guess I’ll never live that one down. Hey op is it ok if I bury my new 5990 in my back yard?? How about the 5327 I purchased from an unauthorized dealer?Would it make you happy to hear that one got buried? LOL 😂
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:56 AM   #44
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
By continuing to buy gray market 5711's the problem will only get worse! I challenge everyone on here to have some restraint and resist the urge of buying a marked up gray market Nautilus...you are hurting all of us!

Respond to this with your pledge to not buy a gray market Nautilus which will perpetuate the problem!

You are barking at the wrong tree. The only one that can kill the grey market is the manufacturer, not the customers. But they don’t and they won’t.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:11 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I promise not to pay more than 75K.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:27 AM   #46
Protour2003
Banned

Watch: the next one
Not sure that I understand why? If you're not buying grey, why do you care what the secondary market is.

If your thought is that the flippers won't be buying from the AD's, the demand goes down, and you won't have long waits, you're dead wrong. Too late to make a difference.

But, I'll take the pledge! LOL
Protour2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:38 AM   #47
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:

I have bought from greys in the past (at prices substantially lower than MSRP) and I have sold to and through greys when I have wanted to offload.

I am currently considering making what is for me quite a major purchase. It would be from a grey at way above MSRP. Sometimes life is just too short to wait.

So, in answer to the OP....you have an emphatic no from me. Grey dealers serve a vital purpose, both in buying and in selling. I am thankful that they are there.

And I’ll spend my hard earned money however I like, thank you.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 08:59 AM   #48
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I have bought from greys in the past (at prices substantially lower than MSRP) and I have sold to and through greys when I have wanted to offload.

I am currently considering making what is for me quite a major purchase. It would be from a grey at way above MSRP. Sometimes life is just too short to wait.

So, in answer to the OP....you have an emphatic no from me. Grey dealers serve a vital purpose, both in buying and in selling. I am thankful that they are there.

And I’ll spend my hard earned money however I like, thank you.
Exactly. I just don't understand why people have no issues when grey sell at discount to msrp, but balk at the notion that paying above list from them. It's the same thing. Just market prices, if you don't want to pay that price then don't.

Also what's with the idea that people paying grey prices have more money than sense. They just have a different valuation for their waiting time that's all.
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:35 AM   #49
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzou View Post
Exactly. I just don't understand why people have no issues when grey sell at discount to msrp, but balk at the notion that paying above list from them. It's the same thing. Just market prices, if you don't want to pay that price then don't.

Also what's with the idea that people paying grey prices have more money than sense. They just have a different valuation for their waiting time that's all.
Totally agree. People used to call you stupid for buying from an AD when the greys were selling cheaper. Now that greys are selling SS for a premium, then they're evil and greedy.

Can't have it both ways. You can't want discounts from greys and then in the same breath, complain about inflated SS prices.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:52 AM   #50
Justindo
"TRF" Member

No problem. I would personally never want one at list price, let alone at the insane gray market prices. A 5711 for the same price as a platinum Datograph is madness.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:36 PM   #51
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Done
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 01:24 PM   #52
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I choose to wait.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 01:32 PM   #53
TJMike
Banned

With a couple of changes from one of my previous posts:

Threads like these always make me laugh. Rich guys complaining about the buying habits of other rich guys. It is a watch for f. sake! Who cares if they want to buy a watch from the gray market?! Oh, poor Mike can't get a 5711 because the evil grays sell it above its MSRP. I am now so sad...

And for Fat Ninja:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnAxOQxQIU
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 04:16 PM   #54
Dlindsay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Totally agree. People used to call you stupid for buying from an AD when the greys were selling cheaper. Now that greys are selling SS for a premium, then they're evil and greedy.

Can't have it both ways. You can't want discounts from greys and then in the same breath, complain about inflated SS prices.
Had a look at your sales listings, I wonder whether you are aspiring to become a grey dealer
Dlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:13 PM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlindsay View Post
Had a look at your sales listings, I wonder whether you are aspiring to become a grey dealer
this is why i will never sell a watch here. because then you get stuff like this

not the first time either

context goes a long way and no one cares anyway. Im sure tom or myself can be in a competition to see who has lost the most money. Tom is probably ahead

I sell my no longer worn IWC,Cartier, Breitling, PM Rolex, several Non hot SS Rolex, PM AP's, Other various non hot AP's,. etc, etc, etc and lose a ton. I sell my 5712 that i also no longer wear, and then im some greedy flipper.... ridiculous
Old 24 March 2019, 08:51 PM   #56
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmike;9473252

and for fat ninja:
[url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnaxoqxqiu[/url]

savage
Old 24 March 2019, 09:06 PM   #57
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Ok. Btw. Whos the man?
I’m the man.

Don’t forget it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:10 PM   #58
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m the man.

Don’t forget it.
Old 24 March 2019, 09:11 PM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
With a couple of changes from one of my previous posts:

Threads like these always make me laugh. Rich guys complaining about the buying habits of other rich guys. It is a watch for f. sake! Who cares if they want to buy a watch from the gray market?! Oh, poor Mike can't get a 5711 because the evil grays sell it above its MSRP. I am now so sad...

And for Fat Ninja:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnAxOQxQIU
I enjoyed this post both times.

Makes me laugh at how true it rings.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:13 PM   #60
TJMike
Banned

Quote: