The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 March 2019, 07:27 AM   #91
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
You're selling the 5522?
No never!!!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:30 AM   #92
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

well, this turned out to be a fun thread.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:20 AM   #93
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I have a feeling TJMike is going to likely say...

“great, a bunch of Rich guys competing about who lost more money selling watches”

Threads like this make me laugh. A bunch of rich guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 12:37 PM   #94
bob101
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of people would obviously like to buy retail but cant due to supply issue.
I dont see the logic of buying a watch or several watches you are not so keen on from an AD just in order to move up a "list" when you can get the one watch you do want from a reputable Patek dealer at a slight premium.
You can find Patek pieces on market here from fellow members, trusted sources at reasonable prices. There are good used Patek dealers out there on the likes of chrono24 who do charge fair prices I think.

With regard to original buyer flipping new watches immediately, I think Patek can keep track of this with the owner registration info? If watch sold on Monday and suddenly has a new owner registering it by end of week, they must be able to see that and could black list the original buyer if they wanted to?
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:45 PM   #95
Dlindsay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
this is why i will never sell a watch here. because then you get stuff like this

not the first time either

context goes a long way and no one cares anyway. Im sure tom or myself can be in a competition to see who has lost the most money. Tom is probably ahead

I sell my no longer worn IWC,Cartier, Breitling, PM Rolex, several Non hot SS Rolex, PM AP's, Other various non hot AP's,. etc, etc, etc and lose a ton. I sell my 5712 that i also no longer wear, and then im some greedy flipper.... ridiculous
Who called you a flipper?

By the way do you consider a 126710BLRO as a non hot SS Rolex?
Dlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 04:09 PM   #96
Dlindsay
Banned

Quote:
Or forgetting that people sometimes paid a premium for certain pieces too. I wish I paid MSRP for some pieces I sold in the past...

I've sold a couple of pieces like the RG YM, CK2998, BB41, Lange 1, AP Jarno, AP 44mm SS, etc and definitely all lost money. Broke even on the 5164. I made small gains on a 116500 that I paid a huge premium for. CB and 15202 were alright, but sold when the premiums on them were relatively small. If I were aspiring to be a grey dealer, I'd be a pretty bad one, I'd go bankrupt pretty quickly.
How did you do with your 5990?

On your incoming thread the guy who helped you get it wrote that you got VAT back, so you can't loose money on it unless your pay a huge finder's fee. As far as I know his finder's fee is £ 500 - £ 1000
Old 25 March 2019, 04:43 PM   #97
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlindsay View Post
How did you do with your 5990?

On your incoming thread the guy who helped you get it wrote that you got VAT back, so you can't loose money on it unless your pay a huge finder's fee. As far as I know his finder's fee is £ 500 - £ 1000
the irony is a member here helped him get it. its what we do. You are on my list of people to never help. So sometimes its also about who you know

small community and everything

scouring post history to make connections that are not there and definitely implying that there is some business angle here. We also are not running a charity either, so if we get bored of a watch we are not giving it away either. The vast majority we lose money on. let it go dude

drop six figures a year at an AD and you can get watches. fact

FWIW i offered my 5712 at US retail +sales tax to a few members here, who passed. in december. Im sure they can verify. More than i paid but the current retail price. They were people i knew were after it and wouldn't flip it. If I'm selling it to a random at a good price then they just flip it anyway what's the point of letting them make the money and not me? But of course that's not in my post history. So yes, we do try to help out people here.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:09 PM   #98
TJMike
Banned

Quote:

I sell my no longer worn IWC,Cartier, Breitling, PM Rolex, several Non hot SS Rolex, PM AP's, Other various non hot AP's,. etc, etc, etc and lose a ton. I sell my 5712 that i also no longer wear, and then im some greedy flipper.... ridiculous
How dare you sell watches you never wear and/or use the proceeds to fund another watch? It's people like you that ruin this wholesome hobby
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:18 PM   #99
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
How dare you sell watches you never wear and/or use the proceeds to fund another watch? It's people like you that ruin this wholesome hobby
i know right
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:26 AM   #100
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FWIW i offered my 5712 at US retail +sales tax to a few members here, who passed. in december. Im sure they can verify. More than i paid but the current retail price. They were people i knew were after it and wouldn't flip it. If I'm selling it to a random at a good price then they just flip it anyway what's the point of letting them make the money and not me? But of course that's not in my post history. So yes, we do try to help out people here.
I can back this up.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:37 PM   #101
Dlindsay
Banned

Quote:
I can back this up.
He wrote he offered the piece in December but you got yours way earlier than that. Why did he offer you a piece you already had? Did he think you are a gray dealer ?
Old 6 April 2019, 11:29 PM   #102
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I just saw a blue 5711 sell listed at 68K. I am resisting the temptation fairly well not to buy online.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #103
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
I challenge you OP to start a letter writing campaign to Thierry Stern to produce more 5711s and 5712s etc. so the market isn’t artificially manipulated by Patek. Supply and demand, same as OPEC, DeBeers, Truffles or wine. Can’t blame the grey dealers, they are merely a symptom of the underlying disease
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 03:40 AM   #104
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I challenge you OP to start a letter writing campaign to Thierry Stern to produce more 5711s and 5712s etc. so the market isn’t artificially manipulated by Patek. Supply and demand, same as OPEC, DeBeers, Truffles or wine. Can’t blame the grey dealers, they are merely a symptom of the underlying disease
My AD gets exactly the same number of 5711’s and 5712’s he has always received, the difference is demand not supply. PP have a stated policy and stick to it.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #105
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Happy with my 5711 and 5167. Sometimes I wish I swung for the 5712 but that is life

Grateful that ive got what I have in these mad times! Still going to try and hunt down a 5164 next time in UK which should hopefully be easier!!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote