The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14 November 2022, 03:11 PM   #1
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Interesting explanation of the logo

This is probably common knowledge to most on here, but I had never heard it so I thought I'd share. I copied the text from Panerai Central as to not post a link. This is not original content from me.

The History of the Officine Panerai Logo
We see it all the time, the iconic “OP” Officine Panerai logo, but most of us don’t know the simple history and reasoning behind it. From the outside looking in it’s simple enough right? It’s an “O” and a “P” how much more could there be?

Well according to Mario Paci who was the Former Chief Engineer of Panerai from 1983-1997, otherwise known as the Pre-Vendome era, there is an interesting meaning behind the up and down arrows in the logo.

From the beginning of their existence Officine Panerai has been much more than a watch company. There were two clear divisions of the scope of products that Panerai had brought to market.

The first set was considered to be tools that were used under the sea such as the watches, compasses, tank level probes, depth gauges, and more.

The second set which was used for planes and other aircrafts included deck landing systems, helipad lighting systems, and portable landing systems to name a few.

You might have already guessed that the two arrows attached to the “O” and “P” in the logo represent this under water and air groups. The down arrow representing the under sea tools and the up arrow representing the tools used in the air.

So there you have it! Much like the gorgeous simplicity of their watches, the Officine Panerai has taken the same road when it comes to their logo. Clean , functional and carries the story of a historic brand.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote