The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2014, 01:51 PM   #1
jmusser3r
"TRF" Member

Panerai 48?

Hey guys, a buddy of mine is looking for a college graduation watch. He wants it to be BNIB and has a price range of right around $5-7k. He is really interested in some Panerai models but he prefers the smaller case size, and it needs to have the hours, minutes, seconds and a date. In that price range the best watch I've found is the PAM 48 which is essentially the 40mm version of the 104. 2 questions. One, are there any other recommendations you may make for him, doesn't necessarily need to be Panerai, remembering that the price has to be for a BNIB.

2. What is the real price for a PAM 48? I know it retails right around $7400 but it isn't a terribly popular model to my knowledge so I'm not sure what kind of deal I could find.

Thanks in advance!
jmusser3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 09:29 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Don't get him,a 40mm, they don't sit nicely, too small for the hight, go 44mm, I have small wrists and they are great, tried a few 40mm, really not worth it...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2014, 04:12 AM   #3
oldbronco

Watch: Ranger

to each his own, I find my 40mm PAM00070 to be very comfortable on my small wrist.
indeed, I'm looking for a PAM00048.
oldbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

48 fits the bill for sure. Rolex is out of the question?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2014, 08:51 AM   #5
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I started with a 48. Flipped it almost immediately. 44mm+ is true PAM DNA. To each their own though. Just tryin' to save your buddy hard earned mulah if possible...
Old 21 February 2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Bullitt44
"TRF" Member

I have a 48 and love it. If it feel right get it.
Bullitt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 06:54 AM   #7
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
I always hear people say "Get the 44mm model, you'll regret it because the 40mm is too small." Well, that might be true for some but I've had a PAM48 for a year or two now and I have absolutely NO desire to go 44 or larger. My wrist is 6.5" and that 40mm PAM wears pretty darn big despite being 40mm. In fact it wears bigger than my 42mm Speedmaster and 43mm Ball Diver. So yeah, if your buddy wants a 40mm Panerai, the 048 is a fantastic watch! Unless he has to buy new, PAM48s can be had in the 4k-ish range in excellent condition. Just a thought. There are a lot of great watches out there in the 5-7k range, far too many to name. I'd look at Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Panerai, Zenith, Glashutte Original, Tudor, Ball, the list goes on and on and on. Here are a couple shots of my 48, a fantastic watch:

WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 03:07 AM   #8
jmusser3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
48 fits the bill for sure. Rolex is out of the question?
Rolex is out now. The only one that entertains him is the 2-tone DJ II with the diamond dial which retails for $13-14k so way over budget. I was thinking PAM 48 over the 104 strictly because of sizing. He tried on the 44mm PAM's and said they felt too big for daily wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
I started with a 48. Flipped it almost immediately. 44mm+ is true PAM DNA. To each their own though. Just tryin' to save your buddy hard earned mulah if possible...
I agree. PAM's are meant to be bigger watches but he isn't a fan of 40mm+ watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoWatch View Post
I always hear people say "Get the 44mm model, you'll regret it because the 40mm is too small." Well, that might be true for some but I've had a PAM48 for a year or two now and I have absolutely NO desire to go 44 or larger. My wrist is 6.5" and that 40mm PAM wears pretty darn big despite being 40mm. In fact it wears bigger than my 42mm Speedmaster and 43mm Ball Diver. So yeah, if your buddy wants a 40mm Panerai, the 048 is a fantastic watch! Unless he has to buy new, PAM48s can be had in the 4k-ish range in excellent condition. Just a thought. There are a lot of great watches out there in the 5-7k range, far too many to name. I'd look at Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Panerai, Zenith, Glashutte Original, Tudor, Ball, the list goes on and on and on. Here are a couple shots of my 48, a fantastic watch:
The 48 looks great in these pics! I've been trying to convince him to buy a mint pre-owned watch for the last year now but he is dead set on BNIB from an AD at the moment. Also, you posted a great list of watch brands to look at. I will send those his way.

Thanks!
jmusser3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 01:01 AM   #9
Broker Boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I've noticed some of the 48s don't have 'automatic' on the dial. Does this mean they're manual wind?
Broker Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 02:56 AM   #10
Broker Boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Or does it mean it's a pre-inhouse movement?
Broker Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 11:32 AM   #11
TIFOSI TIMEPIECES
Banned

pAM 48

It is a great watch and he will never lose on it - easy to trade up or resell

look at a 392 as another choice 42mm and stunning

Best of luck

Tifosi forever!!
Go Kimi and Fernando
TIFOSI TIMEPIECES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 11:44 AM   #12
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
If he absolutely will not go 44 - then the 392 would be my recommendation also.

I'm with the 44 guys though.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote