The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18 November 2022, 08:56 AM   #31
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
He's a "Beg", in common parlance.
Has Ukraine paid their Starlink bill yet?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 18 November 2022, 08:58 AM   #32
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I don't know. If not, does that make him less of a Beg, and more of a Genius?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beg
Old 18 November 2022, 09:10 AM   #33
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I don't know. If not, does that make him less of a Beg, and more of a Genius?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beg
Did you change your profile picture as soon as CNN, the BBC, etc., approved, or did you wait a few days? Personally, I’m very perplexed why so many people now vehemently support one of the planet’s most corrupt countries. Certainly if I were attacked or even killed, nobody would care.
Old 18 November 2022, 10:11 AM   #34
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Genuine question

Can someone give me an example of anything Elon has personally done that would classify him as a "Genius" in the traditional sense (like Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Nicolaus Copernicus etc)?
Not something he has said
Not something he has bought into
Not something he has funded
Something he has actually done

Launched the first tesla into space with a mock astronaut stuck listening to David bowie for eternity.

Brilliance at work.
Old 18 November 2022, 10:18 AM   #35
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
No, we did.
Old 18 November 2022, 10:30 AM   #36
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
No, we did.
Can we opt to feed, house, train/educate the USA's poor instead? Crime is really bad in places, and the Pentagon audit was an utter disaster yet again, again.

Getting back on topic, Elon wanting to have us leave this planet really may be the best solution. Elon's long-term plan for... since the consumption-based system on planet Earth... as 'priced' in nothing but confidence.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 18 November 2022, 12:09 PM   #37
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Can we opt to feed, house, train/educate the USA's poor instead? Crime is really bad in places, and the Pentagon audit was an utter disaster yet again, again.

Getting back on topic, Elon wanting to have us leave this planet really may be the best solution. Elon's long-term plan for... since the consumption-based system on planet Earth... as 'priced' in nothing but confidence.
No argument here.

Back on topic; I own a Tesla, so I know better than to board a craft destined for space built by these guys
Old 18 November 2022, 12:26 PM   #38
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
No argument here.

Back on topic; I own a Tesla, so I know better than to board a craft destined for space built by these guys
Old 18 November 2022, 12:26 PM   #39
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Quote:
No argument here.

Old 18 November 2022, 12:40 PM   #40
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Elons clearly an absolute genius, also very clearly on the spectrum, which i believe explains a decent amount about his quirks. If Elon stepped back from the CEO roles in Twitter ( which he will) Tesla, and space x and concentrated on his strength (engineering) i believe his companies would be more successful. He’s going to run into massive issues with Twitter. He’s not going to be the smartest engineer in the room and i think that’s going to bother him. He owns it all so he can do as he pleases but recognizing those that understand his company better than he does is the first step IMO.

He’s well known to drive his employees incredibly hard. As a people manager, the way i work and the hours i put it are not what’s expected of my team. He leads in a different way and expects everyone to be built like him. Most don’t have compensation that makes sense to work 16 hours a day, and most are not as driven as he is. Which isn’t a bad thing, but he sees it as laziness.

I think with Elon at the helm, there is only so much his companies can do. He’s done a wild job growing then to this point but a seasoned ceo might make investors dive in. I wouldn’t be interested in Tesla or spacex until that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2022, 02:15 PM   #41
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Elons clearly an absolute genius, also very clearly on the spectrum, which i believe explains a decent amount about his quirks. If Elon stepped back from the CEO roles in Twitter ( which he will) Tesla, and space x and concentrated on his strength (engineering) i believe his companies would be more successful. He’s going to run into massive issues with Twitter. He’s not going to be the smartest engineer in the room and i think that’s going to bother him. He owns it all so he can do as he pleases but recognizing those that understand his company better than he does is the first step IMO.

He’s well known to drive his employees incredibly hard. As a people manager, the way i work and the hours i put it are not what’s expected of my team. He leads in a different way and expects everyone to be built like him. Most don’t have compensation that makes sense to work 16 hours a day, and most are not as driven as he is. Which isn’t a bad thing, but he sees it as laziness.

I think with Elon at the helm, there is only so much his companies can do. He’s done a wild job growing then to this point but a seasoned ceo might make investors dive in. I wouldn’t be interested in Tesla or spacex until that happens.

twitter offices reportedly closed til monday because so many people quit/got fired lol
Old 18 November 2022, 02:25 PM   #42
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Elons clearly an absolute genius
Is he, though?
He's a Hype Man/Venture Capitalist at best, from what I've seen
I'd go far as to call him "The World's Richest Corporate Mascot"

Everyone says "hes a Genius" or "he builds rockets"

He doesn't build rockets, he gives aerospace engineers a place to work and they build the rockets, and from all reports, the less Elon has to do with SpaceX, the better it seems to run

He walks into a room, says something wildly outlandish and then says "figure it out" just as he walks onto a stage and repeats it to his legions of fans and pumps his stock price
This dude literally said that AI would be killing people by 2019

Credit where its due, convincing your customer base to pony up $15k for future access to a FSD system that is nowhere in sight is a genius move, in some circles. It's also called Fraud in others, though, but his fan base just keep lapping up his empty promises of "level 5 FSD will be here next year" over and over again (it was due in 2019)

Lets not even talk about:
The Robo Taxis
The Hyper Loop
The Roadster
The Cybertruck
Nuralink
Manned SpaceX flights

Rather than using his "genius" to deliver on any of the above (or, you know, end world poverty) he took 44 Billion Dollars a decided to buy a social media platform because... "he's a genius"
Old 18 November 2022, 02:25 PM   #43
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No argument here.

So remind me again, how are USA astronauts getting to and from the ISS?

Plus I hear the ISS residents love that new car smell.

Old 18 November 2022, 02:36 PM   #44
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Is he, though?

He doesn't build rockets, he gives aerospace engineers a place to work and they build the rockets, and from all reports, the less Elon has to do with SpaceX, the better it seems to run

He walks into a room, says something wildly outlandish and then says "figure it out" just as he walks onto a stage and repeats it to his legions of fans and pumps his stock price

Credit where its due, convincing your customer base to pony up $15k for future access to a FSD system that is nowhere in sight is a genius move, in some circles. It's also called Fraud in others, though, but his fan base just keep lapping up his empty promises of "level 5 FSD will be here next year" over and over again (it was due in 2019)

The Robo Taxis
The Hyper Loop
The Roadster
The Cybertruck
Nuralink
Manned SpaceX flights

Rather than using his "genius" to deliver on any of the above (or, you know, end world poverty) he took 44 Billion Dollars a decided to buy a social media platform because... "he's a genius"
Old 18 November 2022, 02:48 PM   #45
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
twitter offices reportedly closed til monday because so many people quit/got fired lol

Ya that’s a really bad deal. I don’t know how much due diligence you can do when you’re in control for a matter of weeks. Awful for those folks. saw a lot of articles where really tenured engineering teams left, not fired because they didn’t want to work there. I’m not a Twitter guy, i never really liked it, but interested to see what happens. Their is bloat in every large organization but dumping 50% of the staff seems aggressive.

Old 18 November 2022, 03:11 PM   #46
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lars Blackmore. Look him up. He’s the real genius here
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
Old 18 November 2022, 04:00 PM   #47
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ya that’s a really bad deal. I don’t know how much due diligence you can do when you’re in control for a matter of weeks. Awful for those folks. saw a lot of articles where really tenured engineering teams left, not fired because they didn’t want to work there. I’m not a Twitter guy, i never really liked it, but interested to see what happens. Their is bloat in every large organization but dumping 50% of the staff seems aggressive.

It depends what 50%, Prices law states that 50% of a workforce output can generally be found generated by the square root of the workforce.. The problem is that in recessions, the best workers know they can find opportunities elsewhere and leave first, while the remaining workforce is usually the people who you wanted to leave in the first place.

Statistically speaking he's definitely cutting alot of bad weight, the problem is, he might be cutting significantly more good weight overall.
Old 18 November 2022, 04:03 PM   #48
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Genuine question
For me, Elon Musk is the new Bill Gates. He doesn't invent anything, but makes inventions "trendy" or even "useful". It's a little strange to me that you forgot about Paypal, the company that changed the world's money transfer system forever. Although this system was not his invention either, it was his leadership that ultimately led to the success of the idea.

To me, he is a great manager-showman, but not an inventor.
Old 18 November 2022, 04:35 PM   #49
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
It's a little strange to me that you forgot about Paypal, the company that changed the world's money transfer system forever.
Nope, didnt forget about PayPal at all

But, have you ever heard of Conformity, the company that bought Musks, smaller, X.com and merged them to form Paypal?

He was removed as CEO of the new PayPal after he'd held the job for a mere 6 months (ironically, after the same thing had happened with his previous venture: Zip2)

Oh, and at least Bill Gates wrote the base code that would eventually become Windows
He created something that changed the world
Bill Gates also took his extreme wealth and decided to try and change the world with it...
Old 18 November 2022, 07:44 PM   #50
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Did you change your profile picture as soon as CNN, the BBC, etc., approved, or did you wait a few days? Personally, I’m very perplexed why so many people now vehemently support one of the planet’s most corrupt countries. Certainly if I were attacked or even killed, nobody would care.
Maybe this word-salad makes sense to somebody? Does it have something to do with Elon Musk?
Old 18 November 2022, 10:24 PM   #51
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
For me, Elon Musk is the new Bill Gates. He doesn't invent anything, but makes inventions "trendy" or even "useful". It's a little strange to me that you forgot about Paypal, the company that changed the world's money transfer system forever. Although this system was not his invention either, it was his leadership that ultimately led to the success of the idea.

To me, he is a great manager-showman, but not an inventor.
He is a fantastic con-man

This is from a rather lengthy thread on Twitter detailing his background with sources and verifications
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 18 November 2022, 10:32 PM   #52
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
He is a fantastic con-man

This is from a rather lengthy thread on Twitter detailing his background with sources and verifications
Another Anna Sorokin, before her time....
Old 18 November 2022, 10:35 PM   #53
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Is he, though?

The Robo Taxis
The Hyper Loop
The Roadster
The Cybertruck
Nuralink
Manned SpaceX flights

Elon does claim to have done engineering and design work himself, at least initially, for Tesla and SpaceX.

But no, he doesn't literally do all of the work himself. Did John D. Rockefeller pump the oil himself? Does Bezos deliver every package?

With Elon, some dislike his style and others dislike his worldview/philosophy. Scroll through the list of the wealthiest folks on earth, and you'll see many who do zero work and inherited all their money.

Agreed that AI is not going Terminator yet (that I know of). Predictions are often wrong, and Elon is not a guy who always thinks it through before he speaks. I was told in 2008 that New York would be under water by 2015.
Old 18 November 2022, 10:38 PM   #54
Star Ferry
Banned

I think Elon did graduate from Penn. Years ago I got his personal email from the Wharton alumni portal on Penn's website.
Old 19 November 2022, 12:34 AM   #55
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

After working in Silicon Valley at the top level of tech, you see people like Elon every single day. He is smart but I do not think is a genius. His money gives him the ability to talk with confidence and to pay to get things done.

What Elon is very good at is spreading his passion. Like him or not he truly is passionate about his endeavors. He knows he needs money but that is not the driving force. Money gives him the ability to hire actual geniuses and he pays them to work on their passions which is what makes his companies work.

If you were a Rocket Scientist at the top of your game... Do you want to work at NASA for pennies or work at SpaceX making 350k+ and get to do things in weeks what would take NASA years to even make a decision to think about trying. Same with Tesla...

So don't get me wrong, Elon is a very smart guy. When you hire the best people and have the ability to bring them in a room and say "I know nothing about putting a rocket into space, teach me step by step"... Guess what... You will eventually understand and be able to talk about putting a rocket into space.

I have worked with Managers in Tech who have never written a line of code in their life but they can explain what every single line of code does in the applications their team develops because they talk to their people and learn what they are doing.

I think this is the trait that Elon has too and what makes him and others like him extremely effective.
Old 19 November 2022, 02:04 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I have worked with Managers in Tech who have never written a line of code in their life but they can explain what every single line of code does in the applications their team develops because they talk to their people and learn what they are doing.

I think this is the trait that Elon has too and what makes him and others like him extremely effective.
Great post, I snipped to condense.

Or not really knowing code... Steve Jobs everyone, discuss.

Old 19 November 2022, 05:00 AM   #57
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Personally I think he's dangerous. Too much money, too much power and too volatile.

There is always a certain segment of society constantly looking for a new messiah, guru, leader, genius to guide their life. And these people become dangerous when they start believing their own press, marketing and fan boy followers.
Old 19 November 2022, 05:11 AM   #58
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i don't really know what to make of it. in reality i don't believe those engineers were doing much for a while. what has actually changed on twitter in the last 5 years? they added spaces which are just meeting rooms and that's about it, so what were they actually working on day to day. the company had no growth or innovation at all. i legitimately think the people working at twitter were living their best lives and milking every dollar out of that company, especially after covid when they were all working from home

it still doesn't justify what he's doing to them and at this rate the company won't even exist soon, but i just think they were pretty comfy for years. the problem now is how does he attract talent to come in and fix it because it seems like the biggest shit show that could happen at a tech company
Old 19 November 2022, 05:14 AM   #59
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Wonder how many people here loved him or at least lauded his genius until he declared himself on the other side of many here’s politics?
Old 19 November 2022, 06:04 AM   #60
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Personally I think he's dangerous. Too much money, too much power and too volatile.

There is always a certain segment of society constantly looking for a new messiah, guru, leader, genius to guide their life. And these people become dangerous when they start believing their own press, marketing and fan boy followers.
I agree with this, with the caveat that it should be a logically consistent viewpoint. Concentrated wealth and power and inherently dangerous and volatile.

But it should apply across the board. If somebody wants to break up Elon’s influence but never had a problem with George Soros, well then they’re not playing fair. I’d like to see a weakening of the billionaire class across the board, uniformly. The problem is, I feel like I can’t trust anyone to go after the wealth in an even handed apolitical way.
Closed Thread