The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 19 November 2022, 06:24 AM   #61
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
Wonder how many people here loved him or at least lauded his genius until he declared himself on the other side of many here’s politics?
Elon is on the side of politics that benefits him most at the time. He will flip flop as needed to achieve his goals.
Old 19 November 2022, 06:28 AM   #62
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Elon is on the side of politics that benefits him most at the time. He will flip flop as needed to achieve his goals.
Sure, had he taken over Twitter and left the Co as is status quo (liberal and losing $) he would be celebrated by the very same who now chastise and look to investigate him.
Old 20 November 2022, 12:46 AM   #63
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great post, I snipped to condense.

Or not really knowing code... Steve Jobs everyone, discuss.
Ok, here is my discuss. And I will keep politics out of it.

Both have contributed greatly to society with vision and drive. Both genius narcissist in certain fields/endeavors. But in my opinion, Jobs had more discipline/focus on fewer endeavors a bigger check on his mouth. Musk, just as bright and driven. But I think success has gone to his head and he he is loosing his focus and, of course, his impulse control with his mouth is getting worse.

I have seen many highly respected and successful/bright doctors, etc, who are great in their area, but then think that their genius in one field transfers in to other areas and loose their shirt in buying business i which they have no transferable skills and do not understand.

Twitter is not remotely similar to Telsa or Space-X. Twitter lives and dies on paid advertising from large multi-national main stream firms. I find it odd that Musk, who has always publicly decried the merit of paid advertising would buy such a business. And I am not surprised that he has succeeded in destroying advertising revenue overnight. There is simply no way that Twitter will have any significant level of value with fringe businesses and paid user subscriptions for fake badges.

The other problem Musk faces is that it is one thing to say whatever controversial thing that comes to mind in the occasional interview. But giving yourself the world's biggest microphone with little impulse control may not have been such a great idea. Particularly if your advertising base is not happy with what you are saying.

Giant corporate advertisers want mainstream stability, or more importantly, the perception of mainstream stability. Twitter has lost any perception of that. And for a person who understands the value of perception (and made good use of it in Telsa and Space-X), I find it odd that he fails to grasp this.

Don't get me wrong. Musk's money is his money. And he has every right to buy whatever the wants. No problem with him buying Twitter. And no problem with his deciding to use it as a megaphone for his views. But I do not think he understands where the value is in what he bought, because it is evaporating day by day.

Or maybe I am wrong. Maybe Musk does understand and just does not give a darn whether Twitter winds up being worth anything. As I said. His money. He can do what he wants. But same is true for advertizers. It is also their money. And they can and are dropping Twitter.
Old 20 November 2022, 01:13 AM   #64
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ great post and largely agree.

Am glad he's using his currency to produce things / help in various ways, and not for global destruction as Nation-States-Dictators continue to do. Imagine if all the funds and manpower/technology for destruction/war were, instead, employed for something that benefits the human race.

But getting back to Elon, being deeply humble is not his strong suit.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 20 November 2022, 01:29 AM   #65
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
^^^ great post and largely agree.

Am glad he's using his currency to produce things / help in various ways, and not for global destruction as Nation-States-Dictators continue to do. Imagine if all the funds and manpower/technology for destruction/war were, instead, employed for something that benefits the human race.

But getting back to Elon, being deeply humble is not his strong suit.
"Imagine if all the people..."
Old 20 November 2022, 01:29 AM   #66
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Name that tune!
Old 20 November 2022, 05:40 PM   #67
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Personally I think he's dangerous. Too much money, too much power and too volatile.

There is always a certain segment of society constantly looking for a new messiah, guru, leader, genius to guide their life. And these people become dangerous when they start believing their own press, marketing and fan boy followers.
I always think of a Bond Villain, like Hugo Drax from Moonraker, when Musk pops up in news.
Old 20 November 2022, 11:45 PM   #68
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
twitter offices reportedly closed til monday because so many people quit/got fired lol
The story I heard was that he fired the guy in charge of the security badges, so no one could get in the buildings.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity.

As for the original question, no.

If you guys want a cool stock certificate, buy Disney.

If you want to learn more about the guy, read a biography on him. It's interesting.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 20 November 2022, 11:56 PM   #69
Liams
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
The story I heard was that he fired the guy in charge of the security badges, so no one could get in the buildings.

If you want to learn more about the guy, read a biography on him. It's interesting.

I’m happy with what you said, I also advised a no as well. Someone said he’s lucky, Elon is not lucky I must correct that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 November 2022, 12:21 AM   #70
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

Those are not stock certificates, although they are fun things to pair with a gift of their uncertificated stock, or to frame on a wall
Old 22 November 2022, 02:16 AM   #71
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Personally I think he's dangerous. Too much money, too much power and too volatile.

There is always a certain segment of society constantly looking for a new messiah, guru, leader, genius to guide their life. And these people become dangerous when they start believing their own press, marketing and fan boy followers.
Absolutely...just think of the money, power, and influence that modern media has had for the last 20 years, and almost completely one sided. The false reporting, lies, censorship....and so many have fallen for it. I'm just glad we now have one less propaganda machine.
Old 22 November 2022, 02:18 AM   #72
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
Sure, had he taken over Twitter and left the Co as is status quo (liberal and losing $) he would be celebrated by the very same who now chastise and look to investigate him.
Bingo. If his politics were different, he would be a saviour.
Old 22 November 2022, 02:23 AM   #73
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Did you change your profile picture as soon as CNN, the BBC, etc., approved, or did you wait a few days? Personally, I’m very perplexed why so many people now vehemently support one of the planet’s most corrupt countries. Certainly if I were attacked or even killed, nobody would care.
Old 22 November 2022, 05:22 PM   #74
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
Bingo. If his politics were different, he would be a saviour.
Musk's politics are necessarily confused because of his childish impulsiveness. Freedom of speech in Musk's brain does not extend to Alex Jones. I suspect Musk failed to think his policy through.
Old 22 November 2022, 05:29 PM   #75
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you change your profile picture as soon as CNN, the BBC, etc., approved, or did you wait a few days? Personally, I’m very perplexed why so many people now vehemently support one of the planet’s most corrupt countries. Certainly if I were attacked or even killed, nobody would care.
I can't remember when I changed my profile picture, and why is it your business?

Most, if not all, countries are corrupt - UK and USA included.

The reason why I'm against war is that it kills people and spreads misery. So sorry if that opinion offends your delicate sensibilities.
Old 22 November 2022, 08:35 PM   #76
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I can't remember when I changed my profile picture, and why is it your business?

Most, if not all, countries are corrupt - UK and USA included.

The reason why I'm against war is that it kills people and spreads misery. So sorry if that opinion offends your delicate sensibilities.
You already responded to this days ago, calling it incomprehensible word salad.
Old 22 November 2022, 08:38 PM   #77
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You already responded to this days ago, calling it incomprehensible word salad.
Yes I did. Someone else quoted your salad, so I thought I'd (ad)dress it.
Old 22 November 2022, 10:08 PM   #78
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Anyway, back to Musk's Twitter antics.

I see that #died suddenly is trending today. This is a new film which purports large-scale Covid vaccine toxicity causing fatalities, seemingly as a result of a worldwide conspiracy to reduce the human population. I'm pretty sure this type of material used to be sieved-out, pre-Musk.

I'd be surprised if there's no knock-on effect with respect to Tesla car sales, as the demographic which tends to buy these electric cars (generally people who are concerned about global heating) is the exact same demographic which Musk is doing his best to gleefully troll on Twitter.

Now that well-established automobile manufacturers are producing rivals/alternatives to a Tesla car, I think it's not inconceivable that Tesla will go under, if the brand acquires a certain "stigma".
Old 22 November 2022, 10:30 PM   #79
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^

Untitled-1.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 22 November 2022, 10:51 PM   #80
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Let's see..... Promoting conspiracy theories might prove to be not universally-popular.

Popcorn's a-poppin'.
Closed Thread