The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2021, 08:40 AM   #91
Bahanado0926
"TRF" Member

Where are you travelling? Downtown Buenos Aires? Lima? Santiago? D.F. Mexico City? I have been to all four and worn my 168000 (transitional) with no problem.. but, that was a few years ago. Now, who knows? I would wear a Sinn U2 GMT and or Omega - less likely to get recognized. But then again there is always a Casio.

In this day and age, I wouldn't wear a RLX in LatAm just my dos centavos, YMMV...
Bahanado0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:30 AM   #92
Dayve
"TRF" Member

Watch: the road....
I would buy a Grand Seiko, if you like them, or a less expensive watch. Most theft in Mexico and Central/South America is a crime of opportunity, and if you are dirt poor, and you see some rich person rubbing your nose in it by wearing a $40K watch while in YOUR country...well....

We were told to leave our wedding rings at home when we went to Costa Rica, and I had no issue with doing that, and wore a nice looking, but inexpensive Invicta on my trip.
Dayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 04:52 AM   #93
amandatil
Banned

Icon6

Of course, the right thing to do is to take the one you like best. To buy another watch you can come again. For example, I just love to travel. Especially to visa-free countries for St. Lucia passport holders, it is very convenient and profitable for me and my family) I like to travel near and far, but I do not like problems with documents, so when going to travel through a company that handles all the visas and passes to the country)
amandatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 01:07 PM   #94
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I lived in Buenos Aires for 7 years and personally witnessed dozens of robberies of all kinds. Many many involved high end watches. Using guns there is not uncommon for these robberies at all. Many professional watch thieves there especially in tourist areas. Leave it at home. You might be lucky but you have been warned. My
Old 15 December 2021, 05:55 AM   #95
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Wearing a G-Shock is enough to trigger a robbery in many SA locals. Most of the G-Shock's pictured in this thread, are enough to develop some interest by the wrong people.

Get a $10 watch and keep it in your pocket.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:00 AM   #96
A2-rolex
"TRF" Member

I've done a few trips south this year and worn a fluted DJ41, my Sub and an Omega and never really felt incrementally "unsafe" with any of them on. Took the normal precautions though of avoiding dark alleys at night alone, etc but my 2 cents are no where is really safe and if something's bound to happen it will. I got robbed at gunpoint in Ohio for example and never had an issue in LATAM so far... go figure.
A2-rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:06 AM   #97
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexperfect View Post
Hi squad... I'll be traveling to Cancun & South America, and I wanted to bring my SkyD Blue Jubilee especially because of the GMT function, but started to feel it's way too flashy, gets too many stares in general, so I can only think how many stares it'll get in Mexico/Latam...

Options I am thinking about:
- 116500LN Panda
- Hulk (would be nice for the swimming pool, summer, and brushed links)
- GMT Pepsi Oyster Bracelet

If you've been in Mexico/Latam, what would you bring that is the least one to get approached/robbed? I will be over there for about 1-2 months....

Thank you for your hints/thoughts!

I'd only wear a Tudor, omega or a g shock. Leave the good stuff at home
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 08:45 AM   #98
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexperfect View Post
Hi squad... I'll be traveling to Cancun & South America, and I wanted to bring my SkyD Blue Jubilee especially because of the GMT function, but started to feel it's way too flashy, gets too many stares in general, so I can only think how many stares it'll get in Mexico/Latam...

Options I am thinking about:
- 116500LN Panda
- Hulk (would be nice for the swimming pool, summer, and brushed links)
- GMT Pepsi Oyster Bracelet

If you've been in Mexico/Latam, what would you bring that is the least one to get approached/robbed? I will be over there for about 1-2 months....

Thank you for your hints/thoughts!

To be honest right now it’s not the best and safe moment to bring a Rolex to south and Central America …. If you’re not familiar with the places and people I guarantee you will get robbed or at least you will have a hard time for sure ( I came from Chile and right know I live in Central America)
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 08:52 AM   #99
7sins
"TRF" Member

I would be VERY careful in South America. I was robbed twice in Colombia last month, once getting into a taxi in a nice part of town and the second at a police checkpoint. Thankfully was not wearing a watch and just had to give them any cash I had. You always think those things would never happen to you until they do.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 09:46 AM   #100
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
I would be VERY careful in South America. I was robbed twice in Colombia last month, once getting into a taxi in a nice part of town and the second at a police checkpoint. Thankfully was not wearing a watch and just had to give them any cash I had. You always think those things would never happen to you until they do.
Good lord! Glad you are ok (I assume). How do you get robbed at a police checkpoint?

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 10:21 AM   #101
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675, 116518
I was in Colombia last week. The only people I saw wearing lux watches were the people with 20+ security guards. And the people who work at the AD. Outside of their offices however, on their own, they wore no watches.
These are dangerous places. People even snatch phones while on motorbikes if you are on the sidewalk close to the street.

Now Bogota is considered much safer than all of Mexico.

In Mexico I had friends wearing their Rolex watches from the airport to the hotel. The taxi driver actually pulled up way too far from the hotel and a group of men robbed them at gunpoint. My friend remembers seeing one of the thieves at the airport. Evidently it was a ring involving the taxi driver.

I, like many others here suggest you don't put yourself at risk because 'yolo' and you love watches. In reality people with that mentality are exactly who gets targeted.

Just remember, these people are not petty thieves from 1st world countries. They are desperate people, and parts of organized gangs who have no legal repercussions from theft and violence.

Good luck and don't be a hero.
NYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 12:13 PM   #102
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
This is my beater stroke travel watch when the destination is dubious. Sadly, due to all the recent watch hype the list of dubious places is increasing exponentially…

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:19 PM   #103
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good lord! Glad you are ok (I assume). How do you get robbed at a police checkpoint?

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Long story short, my girlfriend and I were in Cartagena, out for dinner and drinks on a Wed night. We were in a nice part of town and took a cab home around 1AM. On our way to the hotel, which was nearby and a nice hotel (Santa Clara Sofitel Legend) there was a police checkpoint with two Colombian police officers. They pulled both of us out of the cab to pat us down for drugs. After finding nothing on us, they told us either we give them all of our cash or they will take us to jail. Corruption is rampant.

The night prior was a bit more scary. We were leaving a bar on a crowded street, sat into the taxi, as I am closing the door someone immediately jumps in, pulls a gun to my head and says "you are being robbed, give me all your cash", then took off with whatever cash I had.

Really ruined a beautiful city and a great scuba diving trip. As someone else mentioned, the only really way to get around safe is with other locals which we did in Bogota. I've been to Mexico City many times, it is one of our favorite cities for food and never had any issues, mostly in Polanco. We just celebrated day of the dead there, wore my Santos and never felt uncomfortable. I've also traveled to 35+ countries and spent many years abroad, I have never felt as unsafe traveling like I do now in foreign cities - or even my own city of LA. Sadly, very scary times.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
Old 15 December 2021, 02:25 PM   #104
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Long story short, my girlfriend and I were in Cartagena, out for dinner and drinks on a Wed night. We were in a nice part of town and took a cab home around 1AM. On our way to the hotel, which was nearby and a nice hotel (Santa Clara Sofitel Legend) there was a police checkpoint with two Colombian police. They pulled both of us out of the cab to pat us down for drugs. After finding nothing on us, they told us either we give them all of our cash or they will take us to jail. Corruption is rampant.

The night prior was a bit more scary. We were leaving a bar on a crowded street, sat into the taxi, as I am closing the door someone immediately jumps in, pulls a gun to my head and says "you are being robbed, give me all your cash", then took off with whatever cash I had.

Really ruined a beautiful city and a great scuba diving trip. As someone else mentioned, the only really way to get around safe is with other locals which we did in Bogota. I've been to Mexico City many times, it is one of our favorite cities for food and never had any issues, mostly in Polanco. We just celebrated day of the dead there, wore my Santos and never felt uncomfortable. I've also traveled to 35+ countries and spent many years abroad, I have never felt as unsafe traveling like I do now in foreign cities - or even my own city of LA. Sadly, very scary times.
holy shit that's insane. that's like back to back scenarios that you'd never imagine happening to you, straight out of a movie. glad everything is ok, that must really take a toll on you mentally for a while
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:43 PM   #105
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
It’s just a watch. Get over yourself.
Basically this. Posts like the OP are pure cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
you guys have all these great watches go on vacation and too scared to wear them
You don't seem very wise if you don't understand the risk of taking a luxury watch to an economically poor country with high crime rates. Do you need any further explanation?
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:51 PM   #106
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
holy shit that's insane. that's like back to back scenarios that you'd never imagine happening to you, straight out of a movie. glad everything is ok, that must really take a toll on you mentally for a while
Thank you brother. I would say our talking stocks thread takes much more of a mental toll on me

Definitely ruined the trip and experience for us but won't stop any future trips. We have Fiji in January that I am not too worried about and wore my RM around Santorini a few months back and always felt safe. Really depends where you go I suppose.
Old 15 December 2021, 03:01 PM   #107
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Long story short, my girlfriend and I were in Cartagena, out for dinner and drinks on a Wed night. We were in a nice part of town and took a cab home around 1AM. On our way to the hotel, which was nearby and a nice hotel (Santa Clara Sofitel Legend) there was a police checkpoint with two Colombian police officers. They pulled both of us out of the cab to pat us down for drugs. After finding nothing on us, they told us either we give them all of our cash or they will take us to jail. Corruption is rampant.

That is an insanely scary story..wow..Glad you are ok. My mother was raised in Bogota and I had always wanted to go to Colombia..That ship has sailed for sure!

Oh, to the OP...I'd bring the Blue Dial Skydweller!

"Reconsider travel to Colombia due to crime and COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Colombia due to civil unrest, terrorism, and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.7 days ago"

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Back to Japan as soon as I can!
Old 15 December 2021, 05:24 PM   #108
28mm
"TRF" Member

Clearly this is a troll thread...

Fell for it again!
Old 15 December 2021, 10:26 PM   #109
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

Wow! When you said you were robbed at a police checkpoint that was sort of what I was thinking. Didn't realize they were so obvious about it though. Thought that sort of thing is done off the beaten path, not right there at a checkpoint. Sheesh!

The other one is even more frightening. You have convinced this gringo to NEVER travel to Columbia, I can promise you that.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 12:20 AM   #110
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

The Cancun chief of police was beheaded 2 years ago.
Last week, vacationers fled the Cancun beaches as gangs riding jet skis fired machine guns.
So, what could possibly go wrong by wearing your nice Rolex to such a friendly locale?
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 02:32 AM   #111
VegasBaby
Banned

Take whatever one you like.........not so sure you'll be coming back with it!!!!
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 03:01 AM   #112
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
The Cancun chief of police was beheaded 2 years ago.
Last week, vacationers fled the Cancun beaches as gangs riding jet skis fired machine guns.
So, what could possibly go wrong by wearing your nice Rolex to such a friendly locale?
Somewhat seriously asking… does grandiose gesture crimes by cartels equate to robberies and street crime in the hotel zone? I understand NG is all over now due to the beach shootup.

I’m going end of Jan and departing wearing one of mine in a rubber strap.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 03:06 AM   #113
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

I wore my Seiko SKX to Peru and the Galapagos. If they want it they can have it. Plus I never had to take it off.
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 03:34 AM   #114
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Casio.