The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2014, 11:43 AM   #151
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Subtona, if you want to downsize that 5170 Patek, please PM me. I would be interested in helping you slim down.
So far so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Absolutely
But at this point there is not many options that I would be interested. Either they are not good enough to push me to flip or if they are, they are well above budget.
There are some minute repeaters that make me look twice... Could always sell the house:)
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 12:26 PM   #152
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think it's pretty awesome you experienced so many pieces by so many brands. I think all the impulsiveness kind of makes you really appreciate the ones you wind up keeping long-term that much more. I know it's done just that for me. I sometimes just wish I didn't spend all that money and was able to rent them for a couple weeks at a time instead to get them out of my system. :)
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2014, 10:46 PM   #153
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
I think it's pretty awesome you experienced so many pieces by so many brands. I think all the impulsiveness kind of makes you really appreciate the ones you wind up keeping long-term that much more. I know it's done just that for me. I sometimes just wish I didn't spend all that money and was able to rent them for a couple weeks at a time instead to get them out of my system. :)
True, the reason of this thread is that. Is an attempt to enlight fellows about that: the impulsiveness or the need to keep buying a watch after another one leads to hoarding pieces for a museum rather than the full enjoyment of your watches (All this with the premise that the museum is not your thing). Is all about the hunt and yes you need certain level of hunt, after all is a big part of the hobby but do it smart. Unfortunately sometimes you have to experience it to understand it but they will be some lucky ones that get it without the costly experience.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2014, 03:33 AM   #154
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
True, the reason of this thread is that. Is an attempt to enlight fellows about that: the impulsiveness or the need to keep buying a watch after another one leads to hoarding pieces for a museum rather than the full enjoyment of your watches (All this with the premise that the museum is not your thing). Is all about the hunt and yes you need certain level of hunt, after all is a big part of the hobby but do it smart. Unfortunately sometimes you have to experience it to understand it but they will be some lucky ones that get it without the costly experience.
Well that's more or less my case, of course I didn't buy so many and so expensive pieces like you but in all around 10, always bought them new but at good prices so of course I am loosing money flipping them but not so much money, just gave them to a grey dealer friend of mine, and basically I should loose 8-10K $, since selling on your own in France is very hard, either I was proposed ridiculous sums of money for my pieces or a few guys, 3, clearly were trying to scam me one way or another, so I am tired of this and prefer to let him handle it than continue on my own...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 01:50 AM   #155
afnios1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: IWC 371503 gst.
This post changed my view,just opened my eyes and gave me food for thinking.
Thank you so much.
afnios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 04:44 AM   #156
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Jorge, the man that watchmakers don't like

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 12:26 AM   #157
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnios1 View Post
This post changed my view,just opened my eyes and gave me food for thinking.
Thank you so much.
You are welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Jorge, the man that watchmakers don't like

Albert Einstein
Old 10 December 2014, 12:48 AM   #158
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wishful thinking my friend, It would be cheaper for sure.

Albert Einstein
Old 10 December 2014, 04:31 AM   #159
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Here here.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 02:16 AM   #160
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712&5167&5130G
Great thread!

I began collecting around 2 years ago, went into a buying spree, and bought 15 pieces in a few months. My first three purchases were terrible as I paid full retail on them, I then discovered the grey market dealers and also began to get good discounts from some European Ads but bought pretty much everything new. So far I only bought one second hand watch (at a great price from a reputable seller here).

As I was too eager to build up a collection very fast without putting too much thought behind it, I made some bad purchases and ended up with watches I don't really wear. I got 3 Zeniths, 2 ultra thins and 1 El Primero and one omega speedster coaxial. The resale value is so low, I could not physchomogically bear realising my losses, so I gifted these watches to my brother :) Thanksfully these are all watches below the $10K threshold, but I would not want to make similar mistakes with +$20K watches. I still have to depart with a Rolex DJ, Rolex YM, a JLC Reverso and an IWC Portfofino HW. I currently have 11 pieces, but even after exiting these 4 watches I don't think I will be able to keep the collection below 10 pieces. I am now waiting for a PP 5130G for Dec. I also want to add an 1815 chrono as well as well as an 1815 up and down dress watch.
FTE2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 08:39 AM   #161
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE2014 View Post
Great thread!

I began collecting around 2 years ago, went into a buying spree, and bought 15 pieces in a few months. My first three purchases were terrible as I paid full retail on them, I then discovered the grey market dealers and also began to get good discounts from some European Ads but bought pretty much everything new. So far I only bought one second hand watch (at a great price from a reputable seller here).

As I was too eager to build up a collection very fast without putting too much thought behind it, I made some bad purchases and ended up with watches I don't really wear. I got 3 Zeniths, 2 ultra thins and 1 El Primero and one omega speedster coaxial. The resale value is so low, I could not physchomogically bear realising my losses, so I gifted these watches to my brother :) Thanksfully these are all watches below the $10K threshold, but I would not want to make similar mistakes with +$20K watches. I still have to depart with a Rolex DJ, Rolex YM, a JLC Reverso and an IWC Portfofino HW. I currently have 11 pieces, but even after exiting these 4 watches I don't think I will be able to keep the collection below 10 pieces. I am now waiting for a PP 5130G for Dec. I also want to add an 1815 chrono as well as well as an 1815 up and down dress watch.
OMG. Slow down, think about buying pieces that you really want. READ THIS THREAD!

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 08:58 PM   #162
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Here is my offering for the three watch club.

And a vintage Seiko from the 70's which started it all off

It does not get used very often, but kept for sentimental reasons and was recently serviced and re waterproofed.

Of course as I believe everyone should have one of these

It is the longest watch that I have ever owned, approx 20 years, but now just sits on my bedside table and wakes me up in the morning

Photo courtesy of the web.

If, I was to try and work out how much money I have spent on watches over the past 30 years or more sadly how much, I have listed by flipping, I'm sure that I would now be living in a 5 bedroom mansion

But overall I have been happy with my choices.

Naturally, to say it is the two Patek's that share the wrist time and hopefully they will continue to do so for many years to come
Old 13 September 2015, 09:58 PM   #163
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Thank you for giving this thread new life. There is so much wisdom in it!
Old 14 September 2015, 01:09 AM   #164
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Fantastic thread, many thanks for it! I agree that it's good to experiment and then consolidate it down to 3 or 4 pieces that you truly love. I have owned Omega, Breitling, UN and Zenith, but I think I will end up with 2 Rolexes, 1 AP and 1 PP, hopefully all in gold.
Wow, looks like I am going to fulfill this prophesy despite all TRF's distractions.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 02:27 AM   #165
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Wow, looks like I am going to fulfill this prophesy despite all TRF's distractions.
So which Rolex gets the axe?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 02:50 AM   #166
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
OMG. Slow down, think about buying pieces that you really want. READ THIS THREAD!
+1. Sometimes it's best to slow down and enjoy the hunt.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 03:17 AM   #167
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Yes, a bit too late now :) I recall reading various suggestions on how you really need to take your time and build things slow, but I guess I had to through the full cycle :)
Old 14 September 2015, 03:19 AM   #168
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, a bit too late now :) I recall reading various suggestions on how you really need to take your time and build things slow, but I guess I had to through the full cycle :)
Old 14 September 2015, 11:10 AM   #169
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE2014 View Post

Fair enough, but even if you have money to burn (and good for you if that's the case), I just can't see the point.

Sooner or later you will find yourself with three or four watches that you really like, no matter whether they be 10k pieces or 70k pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 02:47 PM   #170
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Sold a Breguet and Lange. Now I am stuck at six. Will not go up but not having the vision of how to go down. Need strap and bracelets and metal choices.

DDII YG, Platona, 5159r, 5205r, 5940, 5164.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSixWatches.jpg (43.8 KB, 737 views)
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 03:00 PM   #171
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Funny to read my initial post (#41) in August last year. I thought I had it all figured out with my 5296 Calatrava as a dress watch and a Daytona as a casual watch.
Well the Daytona did get traded for a gold one (which I hated), which then got traded for an Aquanaut (which disappointed me), which got traded along with the Calatrava for the Nautilus chronograph.
Keeping the Nautilus! Also keeping a Cartier Roadster and a vintage Omega (both gifts). But there are three others for a total of six. And even though I would sell the three "others" I would probably use the money to buy a fourth watch.
I just don't see an end to having my three keepers PLUS. I'm just not sure how many the PLUS will be at any given time.
It is fun to collect different watches...
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 03:06 PM   #172
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstock View Post
Sold a Breguet and Lange. Now I am stuck at six. Will not go up but not having the vision of how to go down. Need strap and bracelets and metal choices.

You're not seeking advice, but since I love to give it...
Please ignore as needed :)
But I'd drop the 5159r since you have an "r" on a strap in the 5205 and a PC in the 5940. I'd drop the DDII and look at an all-gold (bracelet) 5711 or AP Royal Oak. The DDII and 5159r will pay for the Nautilus/Royal Oak, and you'll be down to 5 watches.
Okay, I'll stop now...
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 05:49 PM   #173
el1125
Banned

Quote:

Great collection! For me IMO only, I would sell 5159 and maybe the Aquanaut and get a Nautilus of some sort, maybe 5980 1R. Or have a look at AP RO. That would be an amazing collection
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 11:57 PM   #174
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but even if you have money to burn (and good for you if that's the case), I just can't see the point.

Sooner or later you will find yourself with three or four watches that you really like, no matter whether they be 10k pieces or 70k pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Definitely, could not agree more with you, it is just too late to go back now :)
Old 14 September 2015, 11:59 PM   #175
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Amazing collection! Congrats!
Old 15 September 2015, 12:01 AM   #176
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

I still think 3-4 watches is right on the money, but I have deviated temporarily out of my formula by 1 watch (out of the 3-4) but I am sure 100% that I will go back to the 3-4 rule in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert Einstein
Old 15 September 2015, 12:15 AM   #177
cardstock
"TRF" Member

The consensus seems to be get rid of two and get a Nautilus. I could clearly see doing that. Thanks!

Not trying to hijack the thread but I am curious though why there is no love for the 5159r. It has such detail and classic styling. To me, that is one is in my top 3 list of the six.
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 12:23 AM   #178
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
The consensus seems to be get rid of two and get a Nautilus. I could clearly see doing that. Thanks!

Not trying to hijack the thread but I am curious though why there is no love for the 5159r. It has such detail and classic styling. To me, that is one is in my top 3 list of the six.
Some common complaints here are that it wears small and the apertures can be difficult to read. But I have to agree it has a lot of good things going for it on paper. If it suits you then certainly hang on to it
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 12:31 AM   #179
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Quote:
I still think 3-4 watches is right on the money, but I have deviated temporarily out of my formula by 1 watch (out of the 3-4) but I am sure 100% that I will go back to the 3-4 rule in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jorge you have an awesome 5 there, very well balanced collection...

INSTAGRAM: Jetkopite777
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 08:19 AM   #180
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
So which Rolex gets the axe?
Too soon, mate, too soon... I'm still getting over Diana's death.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote